22. Fault

Phoenix Rising
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Chapter 22: Fault

Baekhyun awoke with a shiver and a sigh. A gentle current of air swept a cool rash of goosebumps across his chest as the blanketing warmth of Chanyeol's body moved from where it had been all night. He lingered in limbo between dreams and consciousness, drowsily noting the soft rustle of sheets and Chanyeol's movements. When soft lips trailed down his chest and abdomen, the muscles of his stomach fluttered and his toes curled. "Nnh."

 

"Morning," Chanyeol murmured as he rested his head in the hollow cradle between Baekhyun's ribs and pelvic bones. He nuzzled at his navel then swirled the tip of his tongue inside it, eliciting a gasp from Baekhyun as his eyes flew open. Fine-boned fingertips turned to talons in Chanyeol's long auburn tresses. "Don't do that," Baekhyun breathed.

 

Chanyeol lifted his head. "Why," he asked in the deep, throaty timbre of sleep, "don't you like it?" He dipped his head and tongued the divot again, watching with dark eyes. The look of anguished bliss that knit Baekhyun's brow spoke otherwise, as did the taut writhe of his body and the bite of his nails at Chanyeol's scalp.

 

"Too much," Baekhyun whimpered, bucking his hips. Heat filled his veins as the guitarist grinned and lipped lower along his stomach.

 

A sudden trill of piano notes shattered the idyll as the rolling arpeggios of Baekhyun's ringtone swelled from the device. Baekhyun turned his head sharply towards the night table, glaring at the device as if willing it to spontaneously combust. It did not go to voicemail - instead it began to ring a second time.

 

"Do you need to answer that?" Chanyeol asked, perching his chin on Baekhyun's bone.

 

Baekhyun stared at the phone a moment longer. When it began to ring a third time, he snatched it off the table and held it up to eye level.

 

Kim JaeHee.

 

His grip on the phone tightened. "Yeah," he said tightly. He touched the screen to connect the call and held the phone to his ear.

 

"Baekhyun!" She sounded like she'd been running. A frown dipped his brow.

 

"JaeHee-ya. What's the matter?"

 

"Are you at home?'

 

Baekhyun hesitated for a moment. "Yes. What's going on? It's early."

 

"It's not early. It's almost noon. I'm coming over." JaeHee's words tumbled out rapidly.

 

"It isn-- what? Right now-- why?" Baekhyun went rigid and his pulse jumped erratically. Chanyeol lifted a brow but remained silent; lazily he rubbed his palm up and down along Baekhyun's side. Nerves were nothing new where the flutterbudget was concerned.

 

"Just because. Do I need to have a reason? Or is there some reason you don't want me to come over?" She questioned sharply, sounding more agitated with every passing second. Baekhyun's heart leapt into his throat at the pointed question. What did she know?

 

"I--" Baekhyun stalled, "no! It's just-- sudden-- and early!" He defended as tension crackled through the phone.

 

"You're a terrible liar. I'll be there soon." With that she hung up, leaving Baekhyun to his mounting panic.

 

"Oh . Oh oh my god no," he sat up quickly, running shaky hands through his hair. He looked wide-eyed at Chanyeol, who was slowly pushing himself up to a seated position, wearing a quizzical expression.

 

" ," Baekhyun pulled at his hair as his eyes darted wildly about the room, then settled once more on Chanyeol. He threw the covers off and floundered out of bed. "Uh, we need to-- you need to-- I need you to--" he babbled and gestured at Chanyeol. Standing, Chanyeol kicked the sheets off his legs and collected his teeshirt and jeans from the floor. "What's...going on?" He asked carefully as he followed Baekhyun out of the bedroom. The slighter man looked around frantically then flung open the door to the study. "In here," he said urgently and all but shoved Chanyeol inside. "She's my-- she can't know--" He gesticulated futilely. "Please. Please just wait in here," he all but begged with pleading eyes.

 

Chanyeol acquiesced but appeared duly baffled by Baekhyun's substandard explanation. His lips were set in a grim line but he nodded. "Yeah. It's cool. Don't forget me in here," he joked mildly. Baekhyun vacillated a moment then returned the nod. Pulling the door firmly shut, he ran back to his room and pulled on whatever clothes he could lay his hands on. He nearly yelped as he spotted his and Chanyeol's shoes at the foot of the bed and hastily kicked them under the bedskirt.

 

Three knocks sounded at the front door.

 

"!" He cursed under his breath. Raking a hand through his bedhead he made haste to the door and opened it.

 

"JaeHee--" he said as she breezed past him into the apartment. He closed the door and watched as she spun around and fixed her sights on him, hands balled into fists at her sides. "Baekhyun. What's going on?" She cut to the chase.

 

"What? What do you mean?' Baekhyun took a step forward.

 

"With us. What's going on with us. What's happened to us?" She gestured to the space between them. At Baekhyun's poleaxed stare she threw her hands up in the air and turned, walking across the living room to the windows.

 

"You're never around. I never see you. When I do, you're not really there." She gripped the windowsill. "I keep telling myself you're just busy, it's work, that things will be different once we're married but I don't know." She spun around. "I don't feel it. Do you?"

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter