Layers of Misunderstandings

Heart's Desire


The throbbing headache was starting to bother her. Her eyelids felt heavy but the pain in her temples were  enough to prompt her from her slumber despite her worn out body's protest. 

She sat up as he rubbed the side of her head. She opened her eyes and let the seeping light from the windows orient her. It took her a moment before completely taking in the surroundings. 

It was not her house. 

Panic soon overtook her whole body, momentarily forgetting about her headache. She looked at herself and saw how she's wearing an oversized shirt instead of her regular clothes. She didn't have to look to confirm that she wasn't wearing her jeans either. 

Her mind was in chaos, trying to remember the event from last night. She remembered drinking 4 bottles of soju by herself before switching to her favorite red wine. That wasn't a smart move now that her mind was working properly.  If she's in trouble, it would be definitely because of her own doing. 

She decided to deal with the situation calmly. Blaming herself wouldn't straighten the past. She was mentally preparing herself from the blow of this immature act on her career. She wouldn't freak out. She's a grown woman. 

'Ahhhh!!!!' BoA screeched merely 30 seconds after her resolve. 

She saw Yunho at the side of the bed sleeping, stir from all the noise she was making. It was making her dizzy. What sick joke is this?!

Yunho rubbed his slightly poofy eyes. 'What's with the noise?' He grumbled. 

BoA snatched the blanket and protectively wrapped it around her body. 'What did you do to me?!'

'What I did.. What?!' Yunho met her eyes. She was glaring at him. Murderous intent, evident in her eyes. 'What are you doing?'

'Answer me!!!!' She shrieked again. Her heart was pounding, her mind acting wonky. Yunho tried to console her. He touched her shoulders trying to calm her but it elicited a different response instead. 'Take your hands off of me!!!'

There was a sinking feeling inside of him. So now, she can't even tolerate my touch? It left a bitter taste but he refused to show it. His heart was broken but he wouldn't allow even for his pride to shatter. 

'I didn't do anything to you, BboA. Can't you see that I was merely taking care of you before any paparazzi get crazy?' He explained, keeping his voice even. 

She thought for a while. She vaguely remembered getting drunk and having someone take care of her while was parch. She glanced around and saw an unfinished glass of water on top of the bed side table. She felt her cheeks flush with embarrassment. She looked so unattractive attacking an innocent friend. 

She cleared as she straightened her tangled her hair. It was more embarrassing when her fingers got caught with it. 

'I-I-I'm sorry.. T-thank you..' She mumbled, her cheeks burning. 

Yunho chuckled. 'It's okay. You were pretty wasted to remember the details,' he sighed. 'Come on out, let's treat your hangover with a hearty breakfast.'

BoA nodded and climbed out of bed like a kid. She stood at the edge, her shirt hanging unevenly on her, exposing one side of her shoulder. It was big on her but not long enough to cover most of her legs. 

She waited for Yunho to direct her to the kitchen but he stood there, staring at her. Her chest heaved up and down distracting him, too. 

'Uhm, I'm hungry..' He heard her say quietly. 

'Ah right.. Breakfast. Yes. Follow me.'

- - -

'I started learning how to cook recently. I owe you for last night so I'll take care of breakfast as a thank you.' She hummed as she made her way to the pantry. 'Oh, goodie!' She exclaimed as she randomly saw a rubber band on the counter. She gathered her hair and pulled it up in a messy bun. 'I know this looks so unlady like, especially for the star of Asia, but I gotta work with what I have you know,' she continued as she looked behind her shoulder to acknowledge her companion's presence, completely unaware just how uncomfortable she's making him feel with all the tension. 

It doesn't help that she seemed oblivious about the fact that she's not even wearing shorts underneath her shirt as she moved around, serious about her preparations. 

Yunho prayed silently that he wouldn't be so reckless and start pouncing on her. It's wrong in every humanly way. This tiny lady is the only one that could shatter his calm without even trying. 

'Try not to burn anything,' was all he could say as he left the kitchen, in an attempt to evade the situation before it gets.. better

He went into his room and sat on his bed. Wasn't he just giving up on her last night? He even cried himself to sleep because he was trying to let go of her.. But as quickly as his decision to move on, was his desire to win her over. 

He loves Jaejoong and he cherishes their friendship.  But it doesn't feel fair for him to continuously hide his feelings and abandon all opportunities to make her fall in love with him. If he's a real friend, Jaejoong would understand. He would need to understand.  

He was still deep in thought when BoA cocked her head behind the door. 

'I was calling you but you weren't answering,' she pouted. 

'Were you? I'm sorry..' He replied absentmindedly shaking his head. 

BoA frowned, wanting to ask him about his problems but decided against it. 'Come on, let's have breakfast.'

The two walked silently back to the dining table. The aroma of breakfast filled the room. It only made him hungry. As he saw the elaborate dishes on the table, it got harder for him to suppress a smile. 

'Okay, I hate to admit it but this really looks impressive.'

'I know. Come on let's eat.'

Just when Yunho thought the atmosphere between them had gotten better, he soon felt the distance through the awkward silence that followed. When they were done, BoA offered to wash the dishes leaving him to himself, watching her work around the kitchen. As she was finishing up, he noticed her heave a sigh. 

She turned around and smiled weakly. 'My manager should be here any minute. Thanks for saving my last night'

'N-no problem.'

Silence. 

'I hope we can--'

Yunho's words were interrupted  by a sudden doorbell. He almost cursed under his breath. 

'Ah, that's prolly her.' BoA walked hurriedly towards the door. 

'What the hell are you wearing?!' 

Puzzled by her manager's sudden outburst, BoA looked at herself and realized just how awful she looked. Panic started to dawn on her as she stormed inside Yunho's bedroom in search for her clothes.

Yunho and the manager were left outside. It was a very awkward moment for the two. He never knew why but BoA's manger seemed to hate him for no apparent reason. 

'Thanks for taking care of BoA last night.'

'No problem.'

'This incident can't go public, understand?'

'Of course I know that.' He snapped a bit irritated by her nagging  

'But couldn't you have given her a more decent clothe to wear?!' she hissed, unable to let go of the earlier encounter with BoA. 'Or at least remind her how she looked as she displayed around your apartment wearing that.' She looked at him suspiciously, daring him to spill his inner dirty thoughts. 

'I don't like that accusing tone you're using on me,' he said darkly. 'Of all people, I'm the last person you could expect to violate her. I don't even see her as a woman,' he countered, trying his best to be as respectful despite his obvious rage. 

'Manager unnie,' BoA called out. Her hair was still in a bun but her clothes reverted back to what she was wearing previously. 'Let's just go home, okay? And Yunho..' She shifted her gaze towards the young man, 'Thank you for today. I'll wash this and give it back to you soon.'

Before Yunho can even say anything, the two women left. Guilt overtook his body and mind. BoA clearly heard what he said. It was clear in her eyes. He didn't mean it of course and he knew BoA can't be bothered by that remark. But the ominous feeling after that confrontation was holding him down. His heart felt so unsettled. 

A beautiful friendship, already stained by ugly misunderstandings..

 

*

 

Author's note:

Another embbarrasing chapter because of some scenes. I couldn't help it. I need something light to balance the angst. Why am I even writing an angst?! I don't know. But next chapter would be better. Why? Because SNSD will make an appearance once again! Woot!!! I love my Soshi gurls, alright!!!

I will update this as soon as I can so hope to see you again <3