The Party

Reset

Three days passed and it was already Friday. Heerin, whose application was approved, went off to SNU at around 8 o’clock in the morning for her Journalism crash course, while the other girls were in SME, working.

 

“Alright, class dismiss,” the male professor uttered as the bell rang for 10 am.

 

Heerin hurriedly fixed and kept her things inside her bag, and ran after the professor.

“Kwon-sonsaengnim,” she called out.

“Yes, Ms. Han. What is it?”

“Sir, I heard that you’re the current adviser of the university’s official publication. I would like to inquire about it.”

“You were one of the section editors when you graduated your previous course here, right? Would you like to join our team again?”

“If you don’t mind; I just can’t get myself out of that publication.”

“I would love to have you. I’ve read the feedbacks before and they’re quite good.

She gave a shy smile, “Thank you for the compliment.”

“No problem, Ms. Han. By the way, I heard you’re working in SME.”

“Ne. I’m like the artists’ assistant there. Not a stylist though.”

“I see. You know what; you’ve got really great potentials. You can even work in other companies or even start in some casting in musicals. You had you Music degree, right? For such a young age, you can get jobs in various fields.”

“Yes, but for now, I’m quite contented with my job, seonsaengnim.”

“Alright, but I can contact my friends to give you some opportunity. Just try, okay”

“Yes, sir.”

* * * * *

“Donghae-sshi, have you seen Jongwoon-oppa?” asked Heeyeon.

“Ah, I’ve seen him going the Recording Studio.”

“Alright; thank you.”

“No problem.”

“Donghae-ah!”

“Oh, Leeteuk-hyung; what is it?”’

“I heard from Raseul that Heerin will have to attend a batch meeting tomorrow.”

“Oh?”

“I guess she hasn’t told you. Maybe she’s still contemplating in going or not.”

“Then the one who’s been calling her was him,” Donghae muttered.

“Are you saying something?” Leeteuk asked, doubtingly.

“Nothing, hyung.I’ll just go to the dance studio first.”

“Uh…okay.”

 

* * * * *

“JaeEunie, do you have any plans tonight?” Eunhyuk asked, sitting on the chair beside Jaeeun.

“Uhm, nothing… Don’t you have a dance practice?” she replied.

“It’s our short break. Would you like to watch some movies?”

“…I would love to,” JaeEun answered, smiling.

“It’s a date then,” Eunhyuk smiled back.

 

 

“Teuk-oppa, you’ve been busy these days. Are you alright?” Raseul asked concernedly, giving some iced coffee to him.

Leeteuk received the drink and held Raseul’s hand. “I’m doing fine. Although I feel tired at times, I endure it well.”

“That’s a relief. Aigoo—you should take care of your body. You’re not getting any younger, oppa,” Raseul teased.

“Yah, Moon Raseul, I’m quite strong you know,” Leeteuk pouted.

“Just kidding,” the former giggled.

 

Meanwhile, Heeyeon went to the Recording Studio.

“Jongwoonie, annyeong!”Heeyeon mouthed, waving at Yesung from the Control room of the Recording Studio 1.

The latter waved back, smiling. “I’ll be there,” he mouthed.

In a little while, the two met.

“Let’s go, grab some food,” Yesung placed his arm around Heeyeon’s shoulder.

“Yeah, it’s almost lunch. My stomach’s been grumbling,” Heeyeon scrunched her nose.

“Aiyoo—my girlfriend’s hungry. Gaja!” Yesung pinched her nose lightly.

 

While the others were enjoying their short break, Heerin was still pondering upon the thought of their batch reunion, which will be held the next day. She rode a bus and took the Seoul Subway. When she reached SME, she went directly to their office, rested for awhile and continued her pending works. After finishing, she headed to the Dance Studio, after receiving Donghae’s text message.

 

“Oppa,” she called softly.

“Oh, Heerin-ah,” Donghae neared her, wiping his sweat off.

“Did you eat already?”

“Ani—I was waiting for you,” he gave a faint smile.

“What’s wrong?”

“I heard about the batch meeting.”

“So you already knew. I’m sorry, I didn’t tell you,” Heerin lowered her head, feeling guilty.

Suddenly, Donghae pulled her closer.

Babe, look at me,” he said with a soothing voice. “It’s alright if you want to go. You can’t always avoid him.”

“…I don’t know if I can bear to be in one place as him. I feel suffocated.”

“Don’t be. You haven’t done anything wrong.”

“You really know how to comfort me,” Heerin started to smile. “Let’s eat first, shall we? Just thinking about him, upsets my stomach.”

Donghae chuckled at her remarks, “Sure, I’ll just change clothes.”

 

On their way out, they met with Heeyeon and Yesung who have just arrived.

“Hyung, did you eat outside?”

“Ne. We’re planning to go out later. You can come, join us,” Yesung offered.

“Aniya,” Heerin butted in. “Just do your thing.”

“Rinnie, what do you mean?” Heeyeon asked.

“I mean, it’ll be rude if we’ll intrude your pretty little date, right Donghae?” Heerin grinned looking at the latter.

“Y-Yeah,” Donghae faked a smile, scratching his head.

“So you go first. Ga (Go),” Heerin jokingly shoved them away.

“You two, why don’t you just date each other,” Yesung blurted all of a sudden.

“W-What?” the two blurted in unison, dumbfounded by the latter’s remarks.

“He’s right. Both of you are y, free and single anyways,” Heeyon nodded, giving a short giggle.

Donghae and Heerin laughed awkwardly. “If you only knew,” they thought.

“We’ll go inside first,” Yesung spoke.

“Yeah.”

 

 

When the two are finally gone, Heerin sighed of relief.

“Unnie is just too straightforward.”

“Yes, she is.”

In the midst of the silence, Heerin’s stomach grumbled.

“Let’s feed your tummy first, Donghae chuckled.

“He-he,” Heerin laughed awkwardly, embarrassed.

 

They reached a Japanese restaurant near the area and made their orders.

“Itadakimasu,” Heerin uttered, cheerfully. “Whoa, the udon here’s the best!”

Donghae just stared at her, smiling. “Rin-ah, what are you wearing tomorrow?” he asked, curiously.

Heerin sipped her soda and looked at him. “You’re curious?”

“Yeah, I am,” he answered.

“Just a cocktail dress I guess. Semi-formal’s the dress code. Why, do you want to be my date?”

“I would love to,” he pouted.

“Well, the program might become a fan event if they see you there,” Heerin tried to ease his regret. “Here, eat this fish. It’s delicious,” the former sliced a piece and placed it on Donghae’s plate.

“My girlfriend’s very thoughtful,” the latter complimented.

“At your service,” she replied, wittily.

 

As soon as they finished, Donghae held Heerin’s hand and lead her to the adjacent alley.

“SME’s on the opposite direction. Oppa, where are we going?” the latter asked in confusion.

“Dating,” he answered confidently.

Heerin looked at him and stopped for a moment.

“…In this broad daylight?”

Donghae only grinned and held her hand. They continued walking until they arrived in front of a boutique.

 

“Y-You,” Heerin became speechless.

“Since I can’t be with you tomorrow, I want to see you wearing your dress that I personally choose.”

“Miss, what kind of dress are you looking for?” the attending sales personnel spoke.

“Uhm…semiformal,” she answered, hesitantly.

“We have a variety in here.”

The woman picked three attires and showed them to Heerin.

“Since you have a slender body, I think these will suit you.”

“Why don’t you try them first so you can choose?” Donghae said, standing beside his girlfriend.

“Your boyfriend’s right,” the attendant grinned. “Don’t worry, your secret’s safe with me.”

“Uh-yeah.” Heerin took the clothes and wore them one by one.

 

She first tried the pink bubble dress.

“I think this is prom-ish,” she uttered, standing in front of him.

“Well, it looks good on you.”

Next, she changed into the beige, knee length, Greek-inspired, off-shoulder dress.

“I feel wearing this,” Heerin felt even shyer in front of Donghae.

“…Y-You look like a Goddess,” he complimented, his mouth half-opened.

“Miss, you truly look amazing.”

“I’ll just try the last one.”

 

Finally, she came out wearing a deep black, mid-thigh length tube dress. The dress conformed perfectly to the contours of her body, reflecting her faultless figure.She stood shyly, in front of them, holding her hands together at the level of her waist.

“Do I look okay?” she asked, embarrassed.

 

Donghae, who was totally stunned, became speechless. He just neared her, fixing her hair behind her ear. The sales attendant covered , taken aback by his action.

”Y-You’re… stunning,” he muttered.

“Hae-ah,” she whispered, feeling her cheeks burning. “Miss, do you have any cover ups or shawl whatsoever?”

“Yes, we have.This grayish-black fur coat would match that dress.”

“Ms. Han, you’re exquisite and classy,” he further praised. “Miss, we’re taking these.”

“Ne.”

“I’ll pay for it myself.”

“No, let me,” he insisted. “Just change.”

 

Heerin went back to the fitting room to change, while Donghae paid.

“Here’s the payment. Thank you,” he uttered.

The cashier was mesmerized by him. “Ne—”

Donghae waited in front of the fitting room where Heerin is.

“Are you there?” she asked.

“I’m here.”

“I should’ve paid.”

“I’m the guy; I should be the one spending for my woman.”

“Woman?” she thought. A few seconds later, she came out.

“Thank you.”

“You’re welcome,” he smiled. “Shall we go?”

“Yes, we should.”

“After you,” said he.

* * * * *

 

After returning to SME, a person knocked on the door of the girls’ office.

“A moment,” Heerin called out while stirring her coffee.

As she opened the door, Eunho was standing in front of her.

“Can I come in?” the latter requested.

“Yes,” she said hesitantly, opening the door properly for him. “So, what business brings you here?”

“I know that I sound pathetic, but I want you to come with me, tomorrow.”

“I will…but I will go on my own.”

Eunho suddenly held her hand, relieved by her response. Heerin pulled away from his touch.

“Look, I’m not doing this for you. I just want to meet my old friends,” she clarified.

“Anyways, thanks.”

 

A few minutes later, HeeYeon went inside the room.

“I saw Eunho leaving earlier. Did he threaten you?”

“No. He sounded desperate begging me to go with him. I told him I’ll attend tomorrow’s batch reunion.”

“So you’ve finally made up your mind,” JaeEun butted in, joining the conversation. “Just take care of yourself then.”

“It’s not like I’m going to some battleground. But, I will take good care ofmyself; don’t worry.”

 

Saturday, 5:30 PM, “K” Function Hall, Gangdong

 

People are starting to fill the place. Everyone started chatting with their old classmates in SNU. Eunho, together with Lina and Sungji talked about Heerin.

“I don’t see Heerin around. Didn’t you come together?” Lina asked, while holding a glass, half-full of red wine.

Sungjin wrapped an arm around Lina. “Perhaps they’re having some quarrel. Girls are quite sensitive, you know.”

“Actually, it’s…”

 

Eunho was cut off when he and the other two saw Heerin going to their direction.

“Lina-sshi,” Heerin greeted, exchanging with hugs. “You look amazing in that red dress.

Lina who seemed to miss her, held the latters hands. “You’re beautiful as always, but I think you lose some weight. Do you have any problems?”

“Nah, I’m just physically stressed. How about you? Where are you working right now?”

“I’m currently a sales representative in my father’s business in Gangnam. By the way, are you and Eunho having some misunderstandings here? Something’s a little off between the two of you.”

“Did he cheat on you, Heerin?” Sungjin joked not knowing the situation.

With this, Heerin took a deep sigh. “I guess you didn’t know yet.”

“Know what?” the two chorused.

“We already broke up…”

Feeling ashamed, Eunho lowered his head.

“But you two were like college sweethearts…it’s such a waste,” Lina felt sorry.

“I think we should not talk about that thing any further. I don’t want to ruin the mood here,” Sungjin uttered.

 

Several minutes after, at around 6PM, the masters of ceremony opened the program and welcomed all the alumni of SNU.  All of them shared a toast for getting-together again two years after graduation. 

 

“And now, I’m going to introduce to you a band who’ll perform for us tonight. One of the members of this band is a proud alumnus of SNU…none other than Jang Kiha and the Faces.”

 

Cheers from the audience welcomed the band. Women started chatting about the members. Others were busy eating and conversing.

“They’re good,” Heerin complimented, while taking a sip of wine.

“You’re right,” few girls from her table seconded.

 

Moments later, Heerin decided to go outside for fresh air. She was a little preoccupied while staring at the city’s view.

 

“It seems to me that something’s bothering you.”

 “Nothing really…just random things,” Heerin answered almost automatically.

 

When she noticed that it was a little strange, she turned and realized that a guy in simple gray shirt under a black tux, paired with denim jeans, was standing beside her. He was leaning on the railings, also looking at the busy streets.

 

“Oh, you’re…”