Knowing Her

Reset

As she was walking along the lobby, Heerin couldn’t help but yawn. She stretched her arms, bending side to side, to keep herself awake.

 

“Late to bed, early to rise…what a life.” She uttered, yawning once again.

“Good morning.”

Turning around, she’s met with a guy wearing gray hoodie and a pair of black sweat pants. “Donghae?”

Pushing his hood back and ruffling his hair, Donghae smiled at her. “Still sleepy?”

Nodding, Heerin rubbed her nose. “You’re early.”

“I’m going to practice.”

Mirroring a smile, Heerin poked his arm. “Because you’re disciplined, many sunbaes and hoobaes alike admire you.”

 “Well, this has been my father’s dream, so I’m trying my best to reach it.”

 

Silence arose. Heerin clasped her hands as she thought of ways to break the ice.

“Uhm…do you want some coffee?” she offered, trying to divert the topic.

“I would love to.”

 

They both headed for the staff room. Heerin went to the pantry to make some coffee, while Donghae explored the room.

 

“Where did you take this?” he asked, picking up a frame with Heerin and Eunho’s picture.

“What do you mean?” Heerin clarified, emerging from the pantry. Seeing what he’s holding, she smiled. “…that’s near Han River.”

“Han River? I can remember Kangin-hyung calling it acorn jelly.”

“Ah, in We Got Married.”

“You’re really updated.”

“Fan girl, remember?” she uttered, proud. “By the way, here’s your coffee.”

“Thanks,” he uttered. “It seemed like you’ve been with Eunho for quite a long time.”

“Nah, not really…We have been together for only three months now. It’s really difficult to be situated on the same building, yet having different schedules,” she sighed and forced a smile. As she looked up, she’s met with Donghae’s beautiful set of eyes. “Oh please, don’t give me that kind of stare,” she thought, gulping nervously.

 

Much distracted, Heerin accidentally drank her still hot coffee, without even letting it cool down. “Ow,” she coughed up, fanning her tongue.

 

“Oh no…” Donghae stood up right away and went to the pantry. When he returned, he gave her a glass with ice chips. “What were you thinking?” he blurted, worrying his lips, forehead furrowed.

“N-Nothing…really,” she stuttered out, taking some ice chips to relieve her sore tongue. When Donghae looked at her disbelievingly, she shook her head. “Believe me…my mind was just off somewhere else and I’m just nervous.”

Scooting closer to her on the couch, he pried further. “Nervous with what or whom?”

“You.”

 

Realizing what she had just said, Heerin lowered her head, embarrassed.

 

“Me?” Donghae asked, finally.

“Y-Yes.” She responded, looking at him, reluctantly.

“Why? I am just Donghae. Please don’t feel awkward whenever I’m around.” He uttered, gaze softening.

Clenching her fists, she held his gaze. “You’re Super Junior’s Lee Donghae and that’s the reason why I feel so awkward talking to you right now.”

Leaning back, he put his cup of coffee down. “You’re unfair Han Heerin,” he blurted out, all of a sudden. “Why are you so close with all the other members—especially with Kibum who’s not even here every day—and not with me?”

Gulping down, Heerin placed her glass of ice chips on the coffee table. “Why are you changing the topic?”

Nearing her once again, Donghae kept his hands fisted on his thighs. “You started it. I always notice that you approach the others, but me.”

Avoiding his eyes, Heerin took a sip of her now cold coffee. “It’s personal, very personal that I can’t tell you.”

“What is it? Tell me,” he asked, not meaning to sound demanding. “I need an answer.”

“Why do you keep on asking?” she bit back, feeling her heart thundering against her chest. She placed her cup of coffee back on the table when her hands started to tremble.

“…Because you won’t answer me.”

“…Fine! I like you. I have been crushing on you since I don’t know when. It’s not that I don’t want to approach you, but I just could not stop my heart from racing whenever you’re near. I find it hard to look at you because it makes me feel that any minute, I’d fall deeper for you—and all these things make me feel guilty because I have a boyfriend.”

 

Donghae gaped when Heerin’s eyes started to water.

“I didn’t know…I’m sorry. You’re afraid to be unfaithful to him?”

She nodded and sighed.

“He’s very lucky to have you.” He responded, smiling fondly. “But Heerin, don’t avoid me. What’s wrong with having a crush? Everyone does have one. You're so genuine, maybe that’s why he fell in love with you.”

Blinking back her tears, Heerin mustered a smile. “I’m sorry for being so emotional here. Now, I feel comfortable. Thanks for helping me verbalize my thoughts.” She took a deep breath and bit her lip. “It feels so surreal talking to you…I hope you don’t mind and please forget about my confession.”

Chuckling lightly, Donghae gave her a nod. 

“You’re prettier when you’re happy. Don’t frown again, okay?” You’ll never know who might be falling in love with your smile.

“I got it.”                                            

Heaving a sigh, he smiled. “I guess I need a second cup of coffee.”

“Same here,” Heerin chuckled. She took their empty cups and went to the pantry.