Surreptitious

The Dollhouse: Clandestine
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter


 

 

sur·rep·ti·tious

 [sur-uhp-tish-uhs] 

adjective

obtained, done, made, etc., by stealth; secret or unauthorized; clandestine: a surreptitious glance.

 

 

 

 

 

A new character is on its way. Do we know what kind of personality is waiting to meet Kris? Maybe it’s best to keep it to myself for now. I don’t want to spoil any of you. You have to wait.

But I’ll give you something to wonder about. So that you won’t tire yourself while thinking about this mystery character. I am a mystery character as well.

Who am I? Think about it, please. It’s not that hard.

 

“What the hell are you doing in here?” A familiar voice shouted at me in terms of whispering. My heart skipped a beat and somehow, because of this voice, I relaxed my muscles and turned around, trying to free me from his grip.

“I should be asking you the same thing.” I picked up the black book and looked back at Yong Guk, who was glaring at me with the exact same nervous look.

“You said you didn’t think Zelo ran away. I came checking the place out to make sure Zico isn’t hiding him somewhere.”

“And how far did that get you?” I stood up and opened the door, listening to the silence, knowing that I had been lucky. If it was Zico that found me, I wouldn’t be here anymore.

“Touché.” Yong Guk walked towards me. “Quid pro quo, Kris. Why are you in the dragon’s lair as well?”

I did not want to lie to Yong Guk, but I had no other choice. After all, I was partly telling him the truth by withholding the rest. “I was trying to find traces of Zelo.”

He lifted a brow and came closer. “And you need a gun for that? Why do you even care about him? You have your own doll to worry about.”

When he said that, all I could do was shiver. He was right. I had been selfish and neglected the fact that Zico had been alone with Tao, screaming at him. Even though this wasn’t normal behavior to me, worrying about others, I couldn’t suppress the thought.

I didn’t know where Yong Guk had gone after asking for my flashlight. I did know that we couldn’t stay together. We had parted our ways.

Zico was on the third floor right now, I heard him walking above me. There was nothing to look for on the second floor. There were only bedrooms. I knew that, apart from this black book, I could still try and visit Zelo’s empty room. But there was something important that was keeping me from doing it.

When I opened the door and noticed how the moonlight hung over him like a blanket, I nearly forgot to keep my guard up and walked towards the bed, before sitting on the chair that stood next to it.

“Tao.” I whispered, knowing that it would wake him up. And it did. His eyes opened before he frowned when seeing me. The moonlight hurt his eyes at first, before he adapted to it.

“Why are you here?” his voice was cracked. He sat up straight and covered his upper body with his sleeping robe. “I don’t understand.”

“I don’t understand either.” I answered at looked at the moon. “I guess I wanted to see whether you were alright.”

“I am alright.” he almost sneered at me. The only thing I was sure of was that he knew everything. He knew everything that was going on in here, yet he refused telling me. I was tired of trying to get something out of him, because he wanted to do the same thing with me.

I took a better look at his face and was glad that he re

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter