.11

Fatal attraction

 

 

Woohyun POV

 

We sat in the car for a good five minutes with silence while watching the sunrise. And then, I remembered.

“Happy Valentine’s day, Yoonji.”

 

I didn’t know what went wrong, but the smile on her face dropped as if I’ve said something offensive. She looked pensive all of sudden and lost for words.

“What is it? Have I said something wrong?”

 

Her lips pursed for a second before she shook her head and forced a smile at me.

“It’s nothing. Happy Valentine’sday to you too, Woohyun.”
 

Eventhough she was smiling, I knew that smile wasn’t really a smile. Or what s real smile was meant to be. She looked so lost and dejected. Something shifted on my lap when I moved to roll up the windows and I took notice of my jacket. She must have woken up for a while now.
 

We got out of the car and she followed me at the back as I entered the house. I knew she was being cautious with me, seeing how she hesitantly walked inside the house and her eyes were scanning around the area. For a way out, if something bad might happen I guess. I chuckled at the thought. I wouldn’t hit or harm a girl. Only cowards do it.
 

“There is only one room here. It’s upstairs and it’s all yours. But I don’t have any girl’s clothes here. I’ve asked for my maid to bring some, but I don’t think he will be here for the next two hours. If you want to take a shower, the water is already warm and ready for you. In the cabinet, you’ll find some of my clothes. All of them are clean and if you want to wear them, go ahead.”
 

“No girl’s clothes? Don’t tell me you don’t bring them here?”

Them? Oh.
 

She said while looking at the picture frames on the wall. There was a hint of laughter in her voice as she spoke to me.

“You caught me.” I said and laughed as she turned around to face me.

“Hmm?”

“Of course I bring them here. This is where I have my fun without having to worry if anyone hears us. You know, it can get pretty loud sometimes.” I winked at her and her eyes narrowed at me.

“Spare me the details. I don’t think I need to know more about your little activities.”
 

She rolled her eyes and her nose crinkled in disgust while trying her best to pretend she didn’t hear what I’ve just said. I said my goodbye and went to downstairs but couldn’t hide the smile on my face, wondering if she’s going to sleep on the bed or on the floor.

I wouldn’t mind sleeping on the couch. It was as comfy as the bed anyway. My lips felt sore but nothing a cream wouldn’t fix. I laid the jacket and picked up the only picture frame that adorned the table and stare at it. She was smiling brightly to the camera, her hair was styled to one side and her pose was nothing but elegant. This was my favorite picture of her because she looked so happy and cheerful like nothing in this world could take away the reasons for that smile on her lips. And most importantly, I was the one who took this picture.

 

I didn’t know for how long I fell asleep but the noise from upstairs woke me up and I felt disoriented for a split second. Relieve flooded when I realized the noise came from Yoonji. She was coming down the stairs, but taking her time as she looked over at the picture frames on the walls. I noticed her jet-black hair was damp and she’s wearing my shirt and sweatpants. Most girls would’ve ditched the sweatpants. Hell, we could have been on the bed by now.

But not Han Yoonji.

 

“I see that you’re making yourself comfortable.”

My voice snapped her back to my attention and she looked down to her clothes.

“I hope you don’t mind?”

“Of course not.”
 

There was a small smile on her face as she sat next to me and ridiculously, I thought that smile was for me. She picked up the frame I was holding a moment ago and admire it.
 

“I saw her pictures near the stairs. She is so beautiful.” She said, still admiring the picture and I couldn’t blame her.

“She was.”
 

She looked at me, confused. “I’m sorry?”

“That’s my late mother.”
 

She made a small voice of acknowledgement. I stand up to find the cream for my busted lips but it was really because I didn’t want to talk about her and Yoonji seemed to understand when she didn’t say anything else after that. I never liked to talk about my mother. In fact, I’ve never talked about her with anyone. Let alone a stranger.

 

End of POV

 

 

 

Yoonji POV

 

I put back the picture on the table and forgot the reason I even came downstairs was because I wanted to find a charger for my phone. After receiving three missed calls and two messages from Seo, who was obviously freaking out because I’m with Woohyun, I managed to write back a reply before the phone died on me. She could be over protective sometimes, but that’s what I liked the most about her.

Woohyun came back with a medical kit and he tried to apply a cream on his lips blindly without a mirror. I grimaced in pain when I remembered the cause of the busted lips. I snatched the cream away from his hand and scooted closer to help.
 

I was aware his eyes were on me the whole time I was helping him with the cream. I hoped he didn’t notice the way I shivered when his skin made contact with mine. Suddenly his lips curled into a smirk and I thought I got caught for a second. I looked up to see his eyes on me hadn’t waver and I didn’t realized he had lean in closer, I could feel the heat radiated from his body to mine.
 

“You can be a good nurse. It doesn’t hurt at all.” He smirked again, obviously enjoying his tease on me.
 

I put on some pressure on his lips and he hissed in pain and I laughed mentally at my revenge. That was mean but he deserved it. Besides, the cut wasn’t too deep and I knew he was just acting. I left him and went back upstairs to the store room to get the charger. I let my phone charge and left the room so that Woohyun could have his time in the shower.
 

There was a knock on the door before someone unlocked the it. Woohyun told me his maid was coming and that should be him. I stood paralyzed on my spot, not knowing what to do. Someone looked like he’s in late 40’s entered the house and he was carrying a bunch of groceries in his hands. He looked like he was having some trouble, so I went to help him. He was shocked to see me there so I guessed Woohyun didn’t tell him that someone was with him.

 

He introduced himself and went to the kitchen to unload the packages. I sat on the chair, looking at the magazine mindlessly. Woohyun was definitely taking his time in the shower because he hadn’t show up until now. The man whom introduced himself as Mr. Li was preparing the fruits diligently and I recalled his surprise when he saw me a while ago. It’s like it was not normal to see someone else other than Woohyun in this house and I felt so out of place suddenly.

He placed some fruits in a plate and placed it in front of me while he packed the rest in the fridge. I was surprised at first, but I thanked him nonetheless and took a bite.
 

“I’m sorry if I made you uncomfortable.”

He suddenly said and I almost choked on the fruits.

I dismissed his apology quickly. “Oh that’s okay. I guess it’s not normal to see someone else here?”

He scratched the back of his head and smiled sheepishly. “I’ve never seen him bringing anyone else here before so when he told me there was someone with him this time, I thought he was joking.”
 

Oh?

 

Woohyun still hadn’t showed up and I politely excused myself to see what’s taking him so long. The shower had stopped running but when I knocked on the door, there was no answer. I opened the door slowly, afraid that I would run into him while changing. But was I saw surprised me. It was the sight of Woohyun on the bed, sleeping and that made me stopped in my track. He looked so comfortable and peaceful in his sleep and I didn’t want to ruin it. But seeing the mess he had done made me shook my head in disapproval. His jackets and attire were thrown all over the floor and I went to pick up those and put them in the laundry basket.

He mumbled something in his sleep and stirred, but he was still deeply asleep and snored a little. That journey did really take a toll on him. His lips were still red from the fresh cut. I took out my cream and sat next to him on the bed and tapped the cream lightly on the cut.
 

Why did men always use violence against each other when they couldn’t find a resolution to their problem?
 

I sighed mentally, and I didn’t know why my heart hurts for him. I knew I wasn’t meant to see that, and he knew that too. I was there at the wrong place, at the wrong time. His father’s words to him were so harsh it made me stunned.

How could he say that to his own son?

 

Woohyun mumbled something incoherent and moved a little as I was about to stand up. I turned to look at him again. I couldn’t help but to giggle when his nose twitched and I must have lost my mind when I moved my fingerand touched the tip of it. It was an impulsive action I guess and thank lord he didn’t seem to notice it. Suddenly, the bed dipped and before I knew it, his hand caught mine and his other hand sneaked around my waist, bringing me underneath him. I gasped loudly as my body made contact with the soft bed but that wasn’t the reason why I was lost for words. His hand held mine and brought it up beside my head and his other hand fits perfectly around me. I was tousled beneath this man and it was probably the last thing I would want to happen right now. He was smiling from ear to ear and looked at me like he had caught someone that had been sneaking around on him. And I did. My ears reddened in embarrassment.

 

“Got cha’.” His smile was so big that his eyes became so small.
 

Pretend you didn’t do anything wrong. Pretend you didn’t do anything wrong.

“What did I do?”
 

I asked him innocently and had to stifle a nervous laugh. His eyebrow rose as if he didn’t believe me. I pouted at him and bat my eyelashes while trying hard to hide my embarrassment of being caught red handed. He laughed again; his body vibrated and I could feel him down to my spine and I quivered against him. I swore I saw something shifted in his eyes. I could feel him all over me, the contour of his body on mine, but that moment was lost as soon as he rolled over to my side. I had to rub my hands together to hide the fact that my body was still trembling.
 

“So, are you hungry yet? I can cook something for us.”

I said, a little bit too fast but proud of myself when my voice didn’t falter.

 

“Hmm, that sounds great.”