Chapter 1.

The Man in the Painting

   ∞ Chapter 1: The Man in the Painting ∞    

 

 

I had hugged Howon all night like a koala bear attached to a tree. I needed someone to comfort me and I could always count on my bestfriend. Howon was there for me through thick and thin. Howon also had a girlfriend and she understood that I had Howon first so she let me still hang out with him no matter how intimate we were. 

"O-Oppa?" I asked as I poked his cheek to see if he was awake or not. 

Howon's eyes fluttered open as he lifted his head a bit to see what time it was. Howon jumped up from the bed yet he was still calm and steady. 

"I have dance practice! I totally forgot! I'll see you tomorrow Yuna! Rookie mistake. Rookie mistake. Rookie mistake." Howon murmured to himself while running downstairs to the front door. 

I laid in bed, waiting to hear his car engine go off and the gravel picking up on his tires. The crackling of gravel was heard from outside as I hopped out of bed and headed to the bathroom. 

In the process of checking my red puffy eyes, I decided to go for a casual look today. 

 

[Listen to this until the song ends: IU's Secret.]

I headed outside after eating and gathering my supplies for work. 

The inside of the building was beautiful as always. I was greeted by co-workers and my Secretary Lee, the guy I had hired after firing my last Secretary. 

"Good morning, Miss Im." Secretary Lee bowed while handing me a mocha latte along with a binder full of paperwork. 

"Didn't I tell you to call me Yuna-shii? You never listen Lee Sungjong. Also, good morning to you too." I said with a smile yet I was still bowing to the workers passing me by with bright smiles and tired faces. 

"Aye, I can't do that to my boss." Sungjong argued as he dodged the janitors cart that was passing by. 

"Then call me Miss Im in the building, but please in my office and in public.. you may call me Yuna-ah, Yuna, or Yuna-shii." I pointed out to Sungjong as we arrived in front of my door. 

Sungjong fished out the keys to the office from his light salmon designer blazer. He unlocked the door as we stepped into a wiff of cold air. 


 

I rubbed my hands together and looked around the office. Then, I looked at Sungjong who was making faces and rubbing the side of his arms. 

"Aish, why don't you turn on the heater? It's like I'm sleeping with the penguins or something." Sungjong asked as he sat on the couch, but soon got up since the leather was freezing cold. 

"You know I like the cold." I reminded Sungjong and he rolled his eyes, making his way towards my desk. 

"Why is it so warm over here?" Sungjong asked as he kneeled down while looking underneath the desk. 

Sungjong bit his bottom lip trying to unattach the warming device from underneath the table. I surpressed my laughter and waited until his sudden outburst. Sungjong had a short temper and I liked that about him. It made his girlish look even more hilarious. 

"YAH! 'I like the cold' my !" Sungjong pointed the heating device at my face. 

I bursted into laughter. His expression was priceless, it seemed like he wanted to kill me, yet he had that playful glare playing in his eyes. Sungjong grabbed tape and taped it back underneath the desk as he sighed with a chuckle. 

"You are really.." Sungjong trailed off while crossing his arms. 

"C'mon, I can't believe you actually believed that I can survive in this cold. It's like -4°c in here! You crazy son of a gun." I said with a playful expression. 

Sungjong lightly punched my shoulder as I sat down in my chair, ready to read and sign paperwork for 3 straight hours. 

"I'm heading out for my break. Do you need anything while I'm on my way out?" Sungjong asked, standing by the doorway. 

"Buy me more tape! You used a lot of it when taping the heater back underneath the desk!" I ordered while he rolled his eyes. 

"Aye, aye captain." Sungjong saluted and headed out with a chuckle. 

[Please stop music.]

​∞​∞​∞​∞​∞​∞​∞​∞​∞​∞​∞​∞​∞​∞​∞​∞​∞​∞​∞​∞​∞

..3 hours later..

 

"Can you please open the door to the personal studio?" I asked through the phone. 

I was walking down to see the paintings my Father and I had painted together when I first painted and until now. There were rows of beautiful paintings on the wall as I walked past a few that had descriptions at the bottom. 

I bent down to read the name of the painting. 

"The Fire Breathing Dinosaur". 

I laughed at the name as I also read the date and information. 

January 3rd, 1996. 
5 year old Yuna's first real drawing. I have to say it's pretty creative, the fact that's she only a 5 year old. She doesn't have a steady hand, but that'll change in the future. Soon she'll become a beautiful fire breathing dragon. That in, my case, she'll be my beautiful firebreathing dragon. 

- Im,  6th Generation

I sat on the bench that was in the middle of the studio and looked around at the memories. There was so much I learned from my Father and now I'm fulfilling my Fathers dream of me becoming a successful artist. A tear slowly escaped out of my left eye as I got up from the bench and headed towards the big window that showed the beautiful lights of Seoul as I was above by hundreds of feet. Everyone looked like ants yet, it was a busy place full of ants. I smiled at the city life while staring up into the sky. 

A shooting star flew by and I was mesmerized by it. I closed my eyes while tears stained my cheeks. 

"Shooting star, I don't want to be alone anymore. Please give me someone that looks like they came out of a painting. You know what I mean right?" I asked as I opened one eye and let go of my clasped hands. 

I scoffed and looked down. 

"You can't really grant wishes.. what am I thinking?" I said before grabbing my bag and heading out. 

I took one look at the studio before leaving. 

[Play this music!]

I sighed as I took a hold of the infinite necklace hanging from my neck. I closed my eyes and took a deep breath until I heard a loud noise in the studio. The noise made me flinch as I quickly opened the door to see a man with red hair, wearing  a brown dress shirt, and red skinny jeans on the floor rubbing his head with a irritated look on his face. 

I dropped my bag in pure shock as it startled the man before me. He quickly turned his attention towards me before standing up on two feet. My mouth was wide open because of this surprise. 

Did my wish actually come true? No way.. 

I sort of checked out the man before me, but he had everything covered. I noticed one thing shining from his neck. 

It was an infinite necklace. 

Is this fate? 

"Who are you?" The man asked as he stepped closer to me cautiously. 

"No, the question is w-who are you?" I asked his question again also stepping forward cautiously. 

"I asked first." The man quick-wittedly said. 

"This is my studio and you popped out of nowhere. I think I should get my answer first." I argued with crossed arms. 

The man raised an eyebrow and squinted his eyes a bit even though you could hardly see his eyes. 

"I'm Kim Sunggyu. I'm 23 years old. April 28th, 1989. Now it's your turn." Sunggyu said comfortably standing up straightly along with a 90° bow. 

"Im Yuna. 22 years old. May 1st, 1991. Nice to meet you." I returned the introduction with a bow and a smile. 

"So, where am I?" Sunggyu asked confused. 

"You're in Gangnam, South Korea and it's currently 8PM." I stated. 

Sunggyu nodded his head in quick understanding as he sat down on the bench, thinking. 

"What do you do for a living?" Sunggyu asked with a smile. 

"Woah, is this 21 questions or something? We just met! Slow your roll." I said as we both laughed together. 

He patted the seat next to him and I accepted the invite to sit beside him. 

"I'm a famous painter and I own 3 art buildings. One in Singapore, South Korea, and New York. How about you?" I asked curiously. 

Sunggyu stared into space full of hesitation before answering me. 

"You could say.. I don't do much. I came out of a painting." Sunggyu said with a sad look on his face. 

I patted his back until I thought of something. 

A shocked Sunggyu flinched as I jumped out of my seat with an idea. 

"How about finding your traits?" I asked excitedly. 

"What do you mean?" Sunggyu asked confused.

"Like for example.. I am who I am. I'm weird, I'm lame, I run into things, I spill food, I trip, I scream about random and stupid stuff. Now you try." I gestured him. 

"Uh, I'm goofy, I'm kind, I'm humorous, I like singing, I'm clumsy, I like yelling, I have a lot of emotions built inside me sometimes. Is that good enough?" Sunggyu asked kind of confused and where I was going at. 

I smiled and gave him a thumbs up. 

"Perfect Sunggyu-shii!" I complimented him as he brightly smiled which sent butterflies to my stomach. 

"Thank you! I never thought I'd find someone so helpful as you!" Sunggyu shouted in happiness before embracing me in a bear hug. 

During that hug, the moonlight shone on us as it made our infinite necklaces interlace with eachother and sparkle like a diamond. 

This may be fate. I thought. 

Just maybe. 
                                         
                                                  

​∞​∞​∞​∞​∞​∞​∞​∞​∞​∞​∞​∞​∞​∞​∞​∞​∞​∞​∞


Kydelee's Note: 

Heyy, it's the 5th/6th! Ohh, first chapter too. I hope you enjoyed this chapter because I enjoyed it.. well enjoyed typing this up for you, 

 

The format for this story is different from my others. Like my other 9 stories. 

xD Anywho, you know the drill! 

Remember! : SUBSCRIBE, COMMENT, UPVOTE, and...SHARE! 

Annyeong~ ♥♥

sincerely, authornim | kydelee