Don't Believe The Devil and The Empty Head.

Loving In Another Shoe

-하 영.HA YOUNG-

We are nearing the dorm building. Although my hair is already dry, half of my shirt is still a bit damp. Great. Now, what am I supposed to say to the Super Junior guys?

Here’s the possibility that my great mind has come up with. Possibility number one, if I tell them that Eun Mi poured water on me, then I’ll have to spend all day to give them the details from A to Z. Possibility number two, if I lie and tell them that I poured water on myself, then I’ll have to spend all day too to hear remarks coming out of their mouth saying how damaged my brain is.

Huh.

Well, at least that’s pleasant to know the outcome possibilities of my situation with the Super Junior guys later.

I steal a glance at Kyuhyun who’s driving the car. I have to set the memory part of my brain so that it can knock out the memory of us kissing in the restaurant before. Even if we’re acting, it was really unusual.

I have to talk this out with him. We have to clear things up.

“Yah.” I said.

“Yah.” Kyuhyun said at the same time.

“What?” I asked him. Let’s just let him talk first, even if everything that comes out of his mouth will lead us to kill each other.

We are already in the Super Junior’s dorm parking lot, still in the car.

“Okay. We have to get our stories synchronized, so that the hyungs won’t get confused and suspicious. The last thing I want is they tying us to the chair again and forcing us to tell the real story on what happened at the restaurant.” Kyuhyun said.

He does have a point there.

His eyes aren’t on me when he’s talking. He just looks straight ahead. Okay, I know he probably has his own ideal girl and kissing me would be the last thing on his mind, but, does kissing me is so terrible that he won’t even look at me? Okay. There’s no way I’m getting disgraced like that. No way.

“Yah, empty head! I’m sitting beside you, not in front of you. You might want to fix your manners.” Hah. There you go. I can’t believe I even kissed this guy with an empty head and no manners, even if it’s fake!

Then Kyuhyun turns his head towards me, and our gaze met. Shoots. I regret saying what I said earlier to him.

But I’m not going to turn away, because that’ll make me look like the loser here, the one who’s feeling weak, just because of his gaze. I don’t care if it’s true or not, I’m not going to lose to the empty head.

It looks like both of us are having an eye-staring match. This is awkward again. Come on, Ha Young! Kyuhyun acted normal earlier. After the kiss, he still shouts at you, throw things at you, and sounds normal when talking to you! You have to be normal too, Ha Young!

“Fine. Let’s get our stories ‘synchronized’, then.” I said to him while relaxing my posture. Both of us turn away at the same time.

He is right, though. The last thing we need is the Super Junior guys tying us up to chairs again. Nuh-uh. Not going to happen. Again.

Kyuhyun was about to say something when his handphone rings.

“Yoboseyyo. Oh, hyung. Yes, yes. Okay. Got it, hyung. Of course she’s going to be there. Arassoyo. Bye.” He said to the person on the other line.

“Well, at least we can settle one problem.” He said to me after ending the phone call.

“What problem?” I asked him.

“We can fully dry you first. No one’s at the dorm. All of them have their schedules. Sungmin hyung told me that all of them are already gone for their schedules after we left this morning, and somehow no one remembered to tell me. Well, at least it’s an advantage to us.” Kyuhyun explained.

“Yah, empty head. I don’t get what you’re trying to say.” It is true. I don’t get why I need to know that no one is at the dorm.

“Yah, devil. You call me empty head and yet, you’re the one who doesn’t get the situation? Is your devil brain dropped in hell or what?” He said while smirking at me.

“Yah! At least I have a brain to drop, even if it’s in hell. Unlike you, empty-headed with no brain!” I answered him back.

I know, I know. Our arguments are so childish. Seriously. Talking about brains and hells, geez, and I thought I’m already a matured person.

“Aisy. Whatever. We don’t have much time until the hyungs get back home. Guess I’ll have explain it to you, since you dropped you brain somehow and forgot to pick it up. Since no one is at home, we can use the hair dryer or whatever equipment to dry that damp shirt of yours. That’ll save us from the extra explanation on why your shirt is wet. Get it now, devil?” Kyuhyun explained.

Ahh. Well, he is right. Again. Geez. How many times today have I admitted him being right? I swear my brain cells are committing suicide.

“Well, why are we wasting time here? Let’s go.” I said while opening the car’s door and make my way to enter the building. We have to hurry to fully dry my shirt at the dorm, since the other members are going to come back home soon.

I can hear Kyuhyun walking behind me.

“Yah, devil! We still have to synchronize our stories!” He yelled from behind.

“We can still talk at the dorm, empty head!” I shouted back while walking fast towards the elevator.

I walk into the elevator and hurriedly press the button to close the elevator’s door. Yup. I am not going to be alone in the elevator with him. At least in the dorm I can lock myself in another room, but in the elevator? It’s going to be extra, extra, extra awkward in this small space.

“YAH!” He screamed while running towards the closing elevator’s door. Haha. At least I get to annoy him. He’s not going to make it. He’s a bit left behind when I already pushed the button to close the elevator’s door.

Good work, Ha Young! Genius brain! I pat myself.

Ting.

The sound comes out from a speaker in the elevator.

The closing elevator’s door, which is already very near to each other suddenly, opens back when a hand is slipped in the middle. My eyes meet Kyuhyun’s visage when the elevator’s door opens.

“Yah! Do you really think I can’t run?” He said as he pace into the elevator. He presses the button to the 12th floor and smirks, while I smack my head imaginarily for not running faster earlier so that I can leave him behind. Stupid legs. I’m going to the doctor tomorrow and have a leg transplant, probably for legs that can run faster.

3rd floor.

4th floor.

5th floor.

Aisy. Why is the elevator so slow today? Why is their dorm on the 12th floor anyway? Why don’t just get a dorm at the 1st floor?

Kyuhyun just stand silently at a corner in the elevator, while I’m standing at the opposite corner.

I have to say something to get rid of the awkwardness. It’s better to try to kill each other than being silent like this.

Come on, Ha Young. Say something.

“Yah. How are we supposed to ‘synchronize’ our stories so that the others will not ask many questions, and then we can live our own lives back happily ever after?” I asked to break the silence.

He keeps quiet for a while. It looks like he’s thinking about something.

Ting. We reach the 12th floor and make our way to the dorm. After we get ourselves into the dorm, he finally says something.

“Okay, devil. We’ll just start by saying that Eun Mi came late, and we practiced contaminating our hands by holding each other’s. After that..” He continued saying about all the events that happened at the restaurant, and how we’re supposed to narrate the story to the other members.

Occasionally, our gazes will meet but we quickly roll our eyes away. We keep on discussing on how to tell the story to the other members. Well, ‘discussing’ here means he does all the talking and I just nod. Pretty good discussion, huh?

“Oh yeah, here’s your ring, empty head.” I said while taking off the ring from my finger when we reach the part about the ring.

Goodbye, expensive ring! I hope you enjoyed your stay on my finger. I’m really sorry though that you’ll end up on the finger of a girl that will be stuck to the empty head forever in marriage. You really have bad luck, dear ring.

“I’m going to have to fumigate this ring for being on your finger. Aisy. And we’re not going to tell the other’s about this ring, arasso? Only Donghae hyung knows about it. But if he doesn’t see this ring, then he won’t ask anything about it.” Kyuhyun said while putting the ring back into a small box.

“Whatever, empty head. Let me fully dry my shirt first, then we’ll continue with the story.” I said while making my way to Yesung’s room to use his hair dryer.

What? No way I’m going to take my shirt off and iron it in the dorm, especially when I’m only alone with the empty head. I’ll just use the hair dryer to dry my shirt while it’s still on my body.

Here’s the truth guys. I actually wanted to dry my shirt first because I need some time to think. The story about the events that happened at the restaurant that Kyuhyun discussed with me is already nearing the kissing part. I need to calm my heart a bit when we talk about it later.

After a few minutes using the hair dryer, I come out of the room and find Kyuhyun playing his computer games. Of course.

I think I can act calm now when we talk about the kiss later.

“Yah! Your hyungs are going to be back later. We’re not finished with the story yet.” I said to him. Okay, don’t get me wrong here. It’s not that I’m so eager to talk about the kissing part. I just want to get things over as fast as we can.

“Oh, okay. So, where were we?” He said while his eyes are still on his laptop.

This guy is truly rude to me. My teacher in school taught me that we’re supposed to look at the person we’re talking to. It’s basic manners. I think I have to introduce that teacher to him. Hey, who knows I actually paid attention to what my teacher taught me?

So, I walk towards the table where his laptop is on, and pull the electric source plug out of the socket. The battery of his laptop is not connected to his laptop, so basically, his laptop has no source of electrical energy and shuts down. Perfect.

“YAH!” He screamed at me.

===========================================================
-규 현.KYU HYUN-

“Yah! Your hyungs are going to be back later. We’re not finished with the story yet.” Hae Rin yelled.

Aisy. She’s done drying her shirt already? I haven’t have enough dose of Starcraft yet to calm myself so that I can talk normally to her about the kiss.

Urgh. This is hard. Come on, Kyu!

“Oh, okay. So, where were we?” I said while my eyes are still on my laptop, pretending not to be interested to discuss the events that happened at the restaurant. We already stopped at the part where Eun Mi didn’t believe us even after I showed her the ring on Hae Rin’s hands.

Suddenly, my laptop shuts down. Darn it.

I have no other suspect. I’m positive. It can’t be a cockroach who decided out of the blue to turn off the electric source to my laptop, right? Only devils would do that. And I happen to know one specific devil who dares to.

“YAH!” I screamed at her.

She just grins when I turn towards her.

Fine. Let’s just get this settled fast. And I already have a few ideas on how we can settle this quickly and easily.

“We have to hurry, you game-addict. If not, our stories won’t match each other.” Hae Rin said while sitting on the sofa.

I take a deep breath and start to speak on how we should tell the story to the hyungs.

“Yah, devil. Just listen and follow.” I said and take another deep breath.

“We’ll just say that Eun Mi believed us after we fed each other. I don’t think we need to tell them about you trying to bite my fingers off.” I paused for a while. Hae Rin looks like she’s about to interrupt but I quickly continue my sentence.

“Just say we fed each other passionately using our hands. I’m sure the hyungs will believe it too. We don’t want to tell them about the ring. It’s too much of an explanation to do. And the kiss…” I didn’t get to continue my sentence when suddenly I hear loud voices.

“We’re home!”

“Kyu ah! You miss me?!”

“Hae Rin ah! You miss me?!”

“Bed ah! You miss me?!”

“Food ah! You miss me?!”

“Shower! I miss you!”

All different voices greet us and other home equipments.

Great. The hyungs are back. Well, not all of them. I think some of them still haven’t finish their schedules.

Hae Rin looks at me with a shocked expression. Well, I don’t blame her this time. I’m shocked too! They’re home earlier than they’re supposed to be! Hae Rin and I haven’t even discuss about the kiss yet! Shoots.

Okay, okay. Relax, Kyuhyun. You’re a genius. And as much as I hate to admit it, Hae Rin is a genius too. I’m sure she knows better than to tell the hyungs about the kiss.

But, she was just acting out the kiss right? So, what if she felt nothing about it and just blurt it out to the hyungs, because she doesn’t care much? Aisy.

I turn to look at Hae Rin. Her shocked expression has morphed into a relaxed one. Kyuhyun, you should relax too.

“Hey dorks!” Hae Rin greeted some of the hyungs with a smile on her face.

“Hi!” A few other hyungs greeted her back.

Then suddenly Donghae hyung comes running into the dorm, while holding his bag and shouting.

“Kyu ah! Kyu! Are you still alive?!” Donghae hyung shouted while running closer towards me.

“Is your body parts all still intact? Are you breathing properly? Does your head have cracks?” Donghae hyung keeps questioning me while his hands running through my body to make sure I’m perfectly fine.

Hey, I don’t blame him either. Who knows what Hae Rin is capable of doing to me? For all I know, she might have beaten me up to death.

“Yah, stinky fish! I’m your friend, remember? You’re supposed to care about me too?” Hae Rin suddenly interrupts Donghae hyung’s unstoppable questions.

===========================================================
-동 해.DONG HAE-

“Yah, stinky fish! I’m your friend, remember? You’re supposed to care about me too?” Hae Rin suddenly interrupts me while I’m checking Kyuhyun’s body for any damages that she might have caused.

Okay. That’s only half-true.

Remember the reason I gave to the members for my objection on the matter of Hae Rin being Kyu’s fake girlfriend? I said to the members that I’m afraid Hae Rin would get Kyu injured or something if he is left alone with her, emphasizing that I truly, deeply love the evil magnae.

So I have to act like I really care just for him, but you guys already know the real reason. I don’t want those two to fall for each other.

Okay, you guys might not see that now. But I watched this a hundred times in the movies! It’s true I tell you! Believe the fish! The characters in the story always have a fake relationship and then ends up falling for each other for real.

I know, I know. Too much movies spoil a fish’s brain. But it could happen in reality too!

Those two can’t be near each other. Ever since Hae Rin started acting weird, Kyu and Hae Rin will kill each other faster than anyone would expect if those two are left alone.

See? I only care for my friend and dongsaeng here. Totally nothing linked to jealousy. Totally! Positively! Surely!

Right?

“Hey, short legs. Of course I care about you too. I just think you’re in a good condition since you’re still breathing normally here, so, I don’t think I have to ask questions to know if you’re alright.” I said while smiling playfully.

Well, at least these two people didn’t send each other to the grave yet. That’s good. But what did they do at the restaurant actually?

“So, guys? How did it go? Is the crazy girl leaving you alone now, Kyu?” Eeteuk asked Hae Rin and Kyu.

Thanks, Eeteuk hyung! You really know what’s going on my mind!

I turn my gaze towards Hae Rin and Kyu. Kyu smiles for a while and starts to narrate the story, while Hae Rin adds in once in a while.

So, basically, the whole room gathers around Kyu and Hae Rin, eating popcorns and snacks. Probably this is better than the movies. I grab some snacks too and take my seat beside Sungmin.

Everyone gives their unquestionable focus to those two, who are telling on how Eun Mi, the crazy girl came late, and they practiced holding each other’s hands. Eun Mi didn’t believe it at first, but she believed it when they feed each other naturally using their hands.

The end.

For the other members, that is. Everyone scattered to their own rooms and do their own activities. I guess they’re all tired and just wanted to know that the crazy girl won’t be harassing us anymore.

But I’m not solely interested in that particular matter. When they get to the end of the story, I notice the two of them paused a bit and looked at each other for a fraction of a second. Maybe the others didn’t notice it, but I do. Haha. My eyes are superb I tell you! I wonder why I didn’t become a detective instead?

Slap.

Okay. The two of them are definitely hiding something. Did Eun Mi believed them easily just after they feed each other passionately? For all I know, that Eun Mi girl is one stubborn girl. Or else how could she be holding on to Kyu even after a long time?

What did they actually do?

And did they just told the story smoothly? Without any arguments with each other?

Don't tell me they have already fallen for each other! That can't be!

Detective Lee Dong Hae of the East Sea Detective’s School for Fish will find out about this.

Hey, who knows that sounds so cool?

Smack.

===========================================================
-하 영.HA YOUNG-

Pheww.

I’m glad the others just believed what we told them and none of them asked questions.

Earlier, Kyuhyun was the one who started to tell the story, and I have to tell some part of the story too, because the guys wanted to hear it from my mouth too. I couldn’t believe the both of us managed to tell the story well! Claps for me!

Well, everything was just going on smoothly until we finished the part where Kyuhyun and I fed each other. We already agreed not to tell about the ring, but we haven’t got the time to discuss about the kissing part. Of course I didn’t want to tell the others about it! Imagine the streams of questions I would have to answer from the members! I could say that it was purely acting, but I’m not sure if I can control the stutters in my voice if I talk about it.

But what I’m afraid more was that if Kyu was going to tell his hyungs about it! Well, you know, since he was just acting it out and probably didn’t feel a thing and doesn’t care much about it, he would probably just spill it out to the members.

My eyes turned towards him and I was shocked to meet his gaze at the same time. Kyuhyun and I quickly turned our gaze away and he opened his mouth, looking like he’s trying to say something to the members.

I thought he was going to tell about the kiss, but surprisingly, he just ended the story by saying we got back home after Eun Mi left. Nothing about the kiss. Nothing.

Well, he probably didn’t want to waste his time too by giving his hyungs the details about the fake kiss. Good thinking, empty head.

As all the members have gone to do their own activities in the dorm, and there’s nothing I could do here, since they are exhausted, I make my way to the door to go back home.

“Guys, I’m going home!” I shouted while putting my shoes on.

“YAH! Where are you going? It’s still early!” Of course, it’s non other than the stinky fish.

I have to think of something to get out of this dorm. I need to breath some air without the Super Junior guys. Without Kyuhyun.

“Yah, fishy! I’m going to come tomorrow! I know you only have schedules at night, so I’ll come in the morning! Arasso?! You need to get the stinky smell off your fish body anyways!” I said while closing the door.

I’m sure Donghae would want to torture me tomorrow, and not today since he’s also tired from the schedules.

Huh.

I need someone to talk to. Not Hae Rin. She’ll be too shocked to know I kissed Kyuhyun and she’ll start to get into her ‘crazy-babbling-hysterical-girl’ mode again.

As I open the door to my car, someone taps my right shoulder.

“Hey. How much torture you got today?” The psycho, Junho said before I could even shout out of shock.

Okay. I know he always follows me wherever I go, and I’m glad that he does. Because at least I know someone is watching my back. But scaring me and giving me a shock like that?! This psycho is going to make me lose 10 years of my life!

“Yah, psycho! My heart almost dropped into my stomach! Don’t you know how to greet people properly, other then giving them a shock?!” Urgh. I actually thought of talking about what happened today to this psycho, since he knows who I really am.

Well, bad choice. He probably would be laughing like an idiot who lost his mind if I tell him about the fake act and all.

I know he followed me to the restaurant and waited outside. But he just thought that I’m having some meal with Kyuhyun and his friend. Junho doesn’t know the real thing.

And good thing I haven’t told him the real story yet.

“So? Any bruises today? Any poison down your throat?” Junho keeps asking sarcastically.

“You’re driving home, psycho. I’m tired.” I said while throwing the car keys to Junho. I’m too lazy to drive.

Junho just grins and starts the engine. As we are on the road, I finally remember one person that I can talk to. Changmin.

Good thing I brought my old phone with me. I don’t want Hae Rin to know about me and Changmin being friends since childhood. Too much explanation to do. Too much energy to waste.

‘Changmin ah. Are you doing anything today?’

SEND.

An instant reply comes seconds later.

‘Woah! Ha Young! You’re like a mind-reader! I just got out of the airport, just got back from Japan. We’re having a two-day off here. You texted me at the right time! Huahahahaha.’

Okay. Changmin is totally handsome, I can admit that. But he’s acting like a total child with me. Well, at least it’s kind of cute. He didn’t even answer the question I asked before.

‘Yah. I didn’t ask where you were. Are you doing anything today?’

SEND.

A reply comes.

‘Oh, right! Stop acting like a smarty-pants. I’m not with the members now, since they went to do their own activities. So, if you miss me that much, I can go meet you now! Hihihihihihihi.’

See what I told you about him acting like a kid?

‘I’ll wait for you at the park 10 blocks away from Super Junior’s dorm. See you!’

SEND.

‘Wokey!’

I put my phone back into my bag.

“Hey psycho. I’m meeting Changmin at the park. You remember Changmin? My friend from the foster home?” I said to Junho.

“Oh, that Changmin! Well, I’ll have to make a u-turn here.” He replied.

“Wait. I found out that he’s a big star here. Aren’t you afraid you’ll get noticed with him?” Junho continued.

“Duh. I know how to cover myself.” I said while putting on dark sunglasses and wear a cap, pulled very low to cover half of my face. Just in case the public notices Changmin, they won’t recognize me if I cover myself.

We finally reach the park and I sit on one of the benches there while Junho is being near to me, although unnoticeably.

20 minutes have passed.

Geez. Can’t he drive faster from the airport?

30 minutes.

“Hey pretty lady! Do you want to try this new flavour of ice cream our store just made? It’s really nice! Have a try!” A guy handed me a cone of ice cream. Probably he works at the ice cream store nearby.

But I’m not supposed to accept item from strangers, right? Who knows what’s in the ice cream? A bomb maybe? Or probably thousands of worms are in there? Yaiks.

Hold it.

I know that voice.

“Yah, Shim Changmin! Is that you?!” I shouted to the guy. Well, you can’t blame me for not recognizing him earlier. He wears an oversized dark sunglasses with a beanie and a scarf around his neck pulled high to cover his mouth.

“Shusshh. Don’t yell out my name here. It’s too priceless. Haha.” Changmin said while smiling playfully.

“Right. I forgot that every girl wants your autograph.” I said and take the ice cream from his hand.

“So, where’s Junho? The bodyguard? I miss the guy!” Changmin asked.

“Hey! No need to ask anymore! I’m here!” Out of nowhere, Junho appears beside me. I guess you can say these two idiots are good friends after they met at the foster home. Both are just as crazy.

“Let’s go eat! I haven’t eaten anything since I got down from the plane. I’m buying!” Changmin suggested.

“Great! Let’s go!” Junho replied before I even have the chance to.

Perfect. Now I’m stuck with this two. Well, I guess I can talk to both of them about what happened. I’m already used to talking with boys anyway. Besides, my stomach is already hungry from telling the story to the Super Junior guys. And the food that I ate at the restaurant with Eun Mi and Kyuhyun certainly didn’t make me full, what with the acting thing.

Junho and I get into my car (Hae Rin’s car to be exact), and Changmin got into his. He drives first and Junho follows.

When we reach the restaurant, I’m surprised at his choice of restaurant. It’s just a stall at a quiet street.

We get ourselves into the stall and take our seats at a table.

“Ha Young ah. This restaurant can cook the ramen you love so much deliciously. Trust me!” Changmin said.

Ow, that’s sweet. I’ve been craving for ramen for a long time already.

“Yah, Changmin! Aren’t you afraid you’ll get noticed at a place like this? I mean, aren’t you supposed to be dining at a high-class restaurant or something?” I asked.

Well, even if I prefer food from a stall like this, I don’t want him to be risking his image. You just can’t imagine the press these days.

Changmin suddenly flicks my forehead.

“Oww! What’s that for?” I winced in pain. That really hurts you know. You can’t say anything about it until you guys try the flick yourself.

Junho gives him a high-five.

“Yah, Ha Young! Take a look around.” Changmin directed me.

So I turn my head around and realize that I deserve the flick that he gave on my forehead. As if that’s not enough, I smack myself afterwards.

The customer in the stall are all very old people. There’s no way they would recognize Changmin. Plus, the street is quite quiet. Probably there’s no paparazzi that comes here.

“I found this place a few years back. Cool huh? Ahjumma!” Changmin said and calls the ahjumma to order our food. The ahjumma then left to prepare our food.

“So, what’s up?” Changmin asked me.

“Yeah, you look rather down.” Junho then joins in.

Wow. I’m thankful now that I have these two who knows the real me, even if one of them behaves like a kid, and the other is a psycho.

Well, you can’t choose your luck, right?

===========================================================
A/N: Okay. I really, truly, deeply miss writing the story! And I miss my readers! I reread this chap and I think it’s a bit boring. But I tried my best.