Autumn Song

October - A Carol For Leaves

Mary is taking a walk while Kris is sitting on a bench.  Both are lost in their own individual thoughts.

 

Mary:

This October is so different, filled with leaves yellowed and withered in the sun.  But last year, I remember clearly, it rained. 

Time goes by, but yet, I still smile today, because of you. 

Well…really, I would be surprised if you still remember me…  But let’s just stick with my side of the story. 

Kris:

Why do I miss the rain so much?  It never rained much in October, except for last year.  I never liked rain much either, until last October. 

Mary:

That day, I was on the streets, crying.  I had finally found the courage to leave my husband…but where should I go next?  I have always thought he was a nice guy…until we got married.  I was only nineteen then.  He started beating me. 

I couldn’t bring myself to tell anyone, I didn’t know how to… I was scared no one would believe me.  So I just hid the scars and bruises that accumulated day by day…but I just wished someone could understand me.

Kris:

That day, I saw her crying on a rusty bench.  She looked so sad, soaked in rain and tears.  It was only that day that I realised how useless I was: I didn’t know what I should do. 

I just shoved my umbrella into her hand, then took off my jacket, gave it to her and ran off as fast as I could.

Yep, that’s it.  I’m useless, aren’t I?

Mary:

I’ve counted.  138 people walked past me that day.  He was the only one who stopped, who cared.  The only sunlight in that shadowy autumn.

Now, one year later, I walk back to where he was.  I walk towards the rusty bench - today filled with yellowed autumn leaves.   Someone was sitting there, as lost in thought as I.

Kris:

As I sit on the rusty bench, I hear footsteps from behind me and turn around.

And I smile.