Loss

The Only One
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k0hiQJWeRtk

HuhGak- One Person

--------

Bomi’s eyes fluttered open. *Where am I?* She wondered, dazed.

Bomi sat up and glanced around. She recognized the furniture and remembered she was still at Kris’s home.

*I wonder if he’s done.* Bomi got up, and the blanket fell onto the ground. She looked down, and her eyes softened. *I don’t remember this. Did Kris come out and put this on for me?* Bomi picked up the blanket and neatly folded it. She placed it on the sofa and left the living room. Bomi poked her head inside the study and knocked on the door.

Kris looked up. His eyes rounded. “Are you done sleeping?”

“Yeah,” Bomi approached him with a sheepish smile. “I’m sorry. I was rude for falling asleep.”

“It’s not a problem. I’m almost done. Let me just sign these.” Kris said.

“Sure, take your time.” Bomi looked around his study. She saw another picture of Kris and his mother. *They look so much alike. And his mother is beautiful. I wonder where she is. Did oppa come to Korea only with his father?* Her phone rang, and she was momentarily distracted. Bomi checked the ID. It was Jaejoong.

Bomi answered, “He’s almost done.”

“Bomi.” He sounded grieved.

“What’s wrong? Did you lose your wedding ring?” Bomi snorted. “…You need to come to the hospital immediately.” Jaejoong replied.

“Hospital? Why?” Bomi placed her hand on her hip. “Oppa, did you hit on a gangster’s girlfriend again?!” Kris tried not to laugh out loud.

“No…your grandmother…” Jaejoong couldn’t bear to continue.

At those two words, Bomi froze. Her blood ran cold, and fear seized her heart. “No…” She whispered, refusing to believe it. She squeezed her phone. This couldn’t be happening. She was still sleeping on Kris’s sofa. She was dreaming the worst. Nothing could have happened to her grandmother. “You’re lying.” Bomi croaked.

At her distressed tone, Kris stopped writing and looked up. *What is Jaejoong lying about?* He wondered.

“Come to the hospital, Bomi. You have to say your goodbye.” Jaejoong softly spoke.

The phone tumbled out of her hand. She blinked, stunned.

The dreaded time had finally come. She didn’t expect it to come so suddenly though.

Kris grew concerned. He got up and walked over. “Bomi, what’s wrong? What was the phone call about?” “I…I have to go.” Bomi whispered. Without glancing at him, she rigidly stalked out of the room. Still puzzled by her outlandish behavior, he followed her. “Where are you going?”

“I have to…go see my…grandma. Where is my purse?” Bomi found it on the coffee table and picked it up. With shaking hands, she took her car key out. Bomi didn’t make it to the door before her knees gave out.

“Bomi!” Kris grabbed her arm to steady her. “What’s wrong? Why are you acting like this?!”

“My grandma…my grandma…” Bomi whimpered. It took a beat to sink in. Something had happened to her grandmother.

“I have to go.” Bomi twisted away and headed towards the exit with a blank expression. Kris caught her wrist. “You can’t drive like this.”

“I have to go! My grandma…” Tears blurred her vision as she choked up. He took her key. “I’ll drive you.” She looked up at him.

“Come on.” Kris led her out of the apartment.

Bomi hoped that they could get there on time. She clasped her hands together and prayed the entire way to the hospital.

------

They arrived at the hospital, and she ran out of the car as soon as it came to a stop. Bomi ran up the stairs and arrived at the room where supposedly her grandmother was at. She burst inside, “Grandma!” Her parents were inside along with Jaejoong. “Bomi…” He whispered, stricken. Bomi stared at the figure underneath the white blanket.

No, no. Something was wrong.

The corpse under there could NOT be her grandmother.

Her legs felt like jello. She dragged herself to the bed and stared down at the body. Swallowing hard, Bomi lifted up the cover. She exhaled in pain and shut her eyes as tears dropped down her face. Her grandmother was lying there, lifeless and cold.

“You’re late.” Mrs. Park didn’t fail to mention.

“She was looking for you.” Mr. Park whispered, distraught.

“What happened? Why is she at this hospital?” Bomi asked.

“A couple days ago, your grandmother had a . The nurses at the facility thought it was best that we bring her back near us.” Mr. Park replied.

Bomi glared at him tearfully. “And you didn’t bother to tell me about this?!” *I could have seen her. I could have been with her before she…left.* She looked down at her grandmother and crumbled. Never would she be able to see her grandmother again. Her mother figure was gone, and now, she had no family left that truly loved her like her grandmother had. The thought made her life seem unbearable already.

Bomi touched her shoulders. “Grandma, wake up. It’s me, your granddaughter, Bomi. Angel ahjumma, remember? Your darling treasure? I’m sorry I’m late, but I’m here now, so open your eyes.” She attempted a smile, but tears fell onto her grandmother’s hospital gown. When Bomi realized that her grandmother would never get up again, she broke down. “Grandma! Please don’t go! I didn’t even get to say a proper goodbye to you! I…I didn’t get to tell you that I loved you one more time!” She hugged her grandmother’s unresponsive body and bawled. “Grandma…Grandma…Grandma…”

Kris arrived and stayed near the doorway. His eyes widened in sadness. *Oh, no. She passed away.*

Bomi squeezed her grandmother’s hand, and felt something in her palm. Bomi stopped crying and looked down. She opened her grandmother’s hand and gaped at the object. It was the conch shell from the beach that day. Her grandmother had been holding onto that all this time.

“Grandma…” Tears poured down her face. Bomi collapsed onto her knees and sobbed loudly. Her parents didn’t offer to comfort her.

Jaejoong knelt down next to her and wrapped his arms around her. A tear also fell down his face. “Bo, it’s okay. Your grandmother is in a better place now.” *But I want her next to me. I could have made her happier. I could have helped her live longer. Now, it’s too late.* She wept into his jacket.

---------------

The funeral was held three days later. It was closed off to the press, and only closed ones were able to attend.

Bomi and Jaejoong were floating on a boat in the middle of the lake. With puffy eyes and no make-up on, she was spreading her grandmother’s ashes into the lake. *Goodbye, grandma…Please rest in peace now. You don’t have to worry about anything anymore. You can join mom and grandfather and truly be happy now. I’ll miss you so much.* More tears trailed down her face. Jaejoong squeezed her shoulder in comfort with a sigh.

On land, people were weeping. Mrs. Kim blew her nose and cried all over again. Mr. Kim’s head was bowed low. Mr. Park looked like he was fighting his urge to cry while Mrs. Pa

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter