Awkward shopping experience

The Only One
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=fvwp&v=EpkcCpGFuSI&NR=1

TANK- Dong Le

-----

Kris arrived at the mall promptly at 11.

And right now, it was a quarter to 12.

Peeved, he sighed and glanced around the entrance. *Did I miss her or something? How can someone be so late? God, don’t tell me she forgot. With her ditzy personality, it’s possible.* He heard a rapid clicking of heels behind him and spun around.

Bomi grabbed onto the railing to steady herself. She doubled over as she struggled to catch her breath. *Note for next time: do not wear Jimmy Choo heels to the mall when late already!* “Oh God…I’m dying.” *I need to work out more. That run from the parking lot drained half my energy. I need a mocha latte now.* Bomi looked up and froze.

Kris was staring at her as if she was a three-headed alien. She gulped and quickly straightened up. *Oh crap. I’m a sweaty mess!* Bomi cleared and quickly fixed her long, brown hair. She straightened her posture, took a deep breath, and bravely looked into his eyes. “Hi. I’m really sorry-“

“You’re late.” Kris stated the obvious. “Yes, I know. I’m sorry. There was traffic-“ Bomi explained.

“Where do we go?” He asked.

“Huh? Oh. I suppose we can look around. Ahjusshi- I mean, father- is very picky. If you buy him the wrong gift, he’ll hold a grudge against you for the rest of the year.” She said.

Kris walked past her towards the men’s department. “Hey! Wait for me!” Bomi tightened the strap of her purse around her shoulder and rushed after him. She scrambled onto the escalator and plowed right into his back. Kris stumbled forward and whipped his head around with an annoyed expression.

“Sorry.” Bomi muttered, clearly abashed. *Why am I so clumsy today?! This is not how a goddess should act!*

Kris faced forwawrd and slightly shook his head. *I can’t believe I ever thought she was a real goddess.* He got off the escalator and walked towards the men’s department. Kris looked around at the large selection of men’s clothing. “Is there anything here that your father-in-law would like?” Kris asked.

“Mmm,” Bomi looked around. She picked up a red-and-black checkered tie and peered at it. “I think I saw him wear this once.”

“What about this one?” He pointed to a white-and-blue one that caught his eye.

“That’s too bright. Father doesn’t like bright colors.” Bomi dismissed.

Kris suggested three more ties. Bomi rejected each one.

“Too modern.”

“He has that tie.”

“He doesn’t like bow ties.”

Kris felt like giving up. “JUST PICK SOMETHING!” He wanted to yell. Instead, he pressed his lips tightly shut together and narrowed his eyes in grumpiness.

Bomi went up to the clerk and asked to see the latest ties. She inspected the newest items and shook her head to each one. Bomi faced Kris and shrugged. “There’s nothing worthy enough here.”

Kris gritted his teeth and briskly walked away. Bomi thanked the clerk and ran after him.

“Oh! What about that? Father likes wine!” Bomi brightened. “Isn’t your husband getting that for him?” Kris growled.

“He is?” Bomi scratched her head. *He usually makes the secretary buy the gift, so I don’t know until the party.*

*This girl is impossible.* Kris rolled his eyes and walked away. He could already tell it was going to be a long day.

Two hours later, they still hadn’t found a gift. “What about this?” Kris held out the coffee mug, knowing it was going to get eliminated. As suspected, Bomi shook her head. “He wouldn’t use that at all.”

“Then what does he want?! We looked everywhere!” Kris snapped.

Bomi blinked, taken aback by his hostility. He took a deep breath to calm down and looked straight at her. “We’ve looked at clothes, colognes, and gadgets. Yet, we couldn’t find anything. Is there anything that your father-in-law likes? Or are you playing a game with me?”

“There are things he likes. It’s just…like I said, he’s very fastidious. You don’t want to face the wrath of getting a wrong gift, believe me. I got him a book about ‘business for dummies’ when I was 13, and he wouldn’t talk to me for a year.” Bomi shuddered. Mr. Kim’s cold shoulders were the worst. *Thirteen? Since when have you known this family?* Kris wondered.

“And I’m not playing a game with you.” Bomi softly spoke. Kris snapped out of his thoughts and looked at her.

“I just…I don’t want you to get in trouble. I’m doing my best, too. My heels are killing me, and I’m hungry-“ On cue, her stomach grumbled. Bomi placed her hand over her ravenous stomach and bit her lower lip in embarrassment. She glanced at the time. “It is lunch time…” Kris gawked at her. *Is she serious?! Now she wants to get lunch?!*

Her stomach growled again, and she winced. He sighed. “I guess we can quickly grab something.” She brightened as he led her towards the escalator.

“Where do you want to eat? We can take my car to a restaurant.” Kris stated.

Bomi blinked at him, stunned. “Restaurant?”

“Where did you suppose we would eat then?” Kri sarcastically bit. He stepped off the escalato

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter