Relationships

In Bloom

 

 

"Jongin?" After the initial shock, Junmyeon smiled and asked, "You guys know each other?"

"Junmyeon hyung," Jongin gave him a little bow, "We met about a week ago."

"He was the friend I was having dinner with on Sambuca night." Kyungsoo said quietly, a mixture of curiosity and concern on his handsome face, "How do you guys know each other?"

"Jongin's next door neighbor Kris is my colleague and friend. So we've known each other for about two years now. And how did you guys meet?" Then Junmyeon suddenly noticed the profusion of red peonies in Kyungsoo's grip and asked, "Did Jongin make -"

At that point Jongin, who still had his back to Kyungsoo, began making frantic hand signals to Junmyeon to be quiet.

"Make?" Kyungsoo sounded a little confused.

"I was just delivering the flowers to him!" Jongin's face was burning with embarrassment as he tried to delay turning back to face Kyungsoo. He mouthed, "I'll explain later," to the bemused architect.

"Ahhhhh ... of course you were making a delivery," Junmyeon nodded, understanding slowly spreading over his handsome, alabaster features.

"Jongin, can you join us for coffee?" Kyungsoo looked at him expectantly.

"I really have to get back to the shop." Jongin apologized, not altogether regretfully. After the shock of discovering that Junmyeon hyung was one of Kyungsoo's close friends, he didn't think he could cope with meeting his other friends - for they would definitely be strangers. He could at least count Junmyeon as a pretty good friend - good enough anyway, that Jongin was never really feel self-conscious around him.

Kyungsoo nodded and smiled, saying he'd see Jongin the next day and Jongin waved, reminding him to put the flowers in water when he got home.

"Kyungsoo, why don't you go and get the others? I'll wait here," Junmyeon suggested in that congenial way he had, which always disarmed and charmed people so effortlessly.

"Bye, Jongin."

"Bye, hyung," Jongin gave him a warm smile as Kyungsoo left the reception area.

"So … this is serious?" Junmyeon cleared his throat behind Jongin.

"Yeah, it is. For me anyway, and him too, I think." Jongin turned around to face the older man.

"Why are you suddenly 'delivering' flowers? I thought strangers stressed you out."

"They do. I met Kyungsoo when I had to make an emergency delivery last week. Luhan was stranded in a highway jam and Sehun had food poisoning and Chanyeol can't drive and there was limited time and so Luhan forced me. But then I met Kyungsoo here and I ... wanted to see him again but I didn't know how and  ... it was Kris' idea!"

"Kris?!" Junmyeon chuckled, "I should have known Kris was involved. So what was this grand plan Kris came up with?"

"That I should deliver flowers to Kyungsoo, saying they were from a secret admirer - which kind of technically isn't a lie if you know what I mean."

"Are you going to tell him eventually? I've known Kyungsoo for years and he's as honest as they come and he expects the same from people around him. So don't keep this from him forever, ok?"

"I won't Junmyeon hyung, I promise. I just have one more delivery to make and then I'll tell him. It's a really special one so I can't ... I can't tell him just yet. I need to see this whole thing through. Can you keep my secret for now? Please?"

"You know I will." Junmyeon patted Jongin's back reassuringly, "You sure you won't join us for coffee?"

"I don't think I'm really up to meeting two strangers at once today. And what I've heard of Jongdae? I'm a little scared … not gonna lie."

Junmyeon burst into laughter at Jongin's wary expression.

"Hyung, his ring tone on Kyungsoo's phone is Darth Vader's theme for heaven's sake."

"He's perfectly harmless. A little noisy and inquisitive but he's got a good heart. Oh and he has an abysmal, abysmal sense of timing. And you should know Kyungsoo picked that ringtone just to piss him off," Junmyeon smiled.

"Yes, I've heard about his bad timing!" Jongin laughed. "But I really do need to get back to the shop. Chanyeol is probably drowning right now - not that he'd ever admit it."

"How is Chanyeol?" Junmyeon sounded more than just casually interested. Interesting, Jongin thought and filed the information away for future mulling. Junmyeon had met Chanyeol a few times when he'd come to the shop to buy the odd bouquet.

"Chanyeol is ... Chanyeol. Quiet and kind of moody and absolutely brilliant with flowers. You should ask him out for coffee some time, hyung."

"Maybe I should do that." Junmyeon said thoughtfully.

"I'll tell him you asked how he was." Jongin tried his best not to sound like he was teasing - not that Junmyeon seemed to care, as deep in thought as he was.

"I'll be making a move now. Don't forget I'm just a delivery guy, ok?"

"On it, kiddo."

 

* * *

 

"Jongin-ah, we're playing paintball at 2 tomorrow afternoon. You're in, right?" Luhan sat on the corner of Jongin's large wooden worktable. Jongin loved his worktable.  He had this thing about the way worn down wood grain felt again his skin - dry, smooth and just a little bit warm in the summer. Because he cherished his worktable, he was constantly trying to shove Luhan off its surface.

"A little respect for the table please. Get your damn off it." Jongin pushed against Luhan's right hip.

"Dude, it's. a. table. It'll get over my being on it. Sooooo ... paintball tomorrow?  I even managed to enlist Chanyeol - you know how he gets about grown men running around yelling and shooting at each other. So not his scene. I'm surprised he agreed, to be honest. It'll be good for him though. He needs to go out, get some sun and ... geez, sweat or something."

"Erm ... I kinda can't make it, Luhan."

"What?! But you never go anywhere.  What the hell, Jongin? "

"Hey! What do you mean I never go anywhere?" Jongin protested and Luhan raised a sardonic eyebrow and shot him a hard look.

"Ok, fine. I never go anywhere. But remember how I told you that Accountant Guy asked me out for tea? Well, that's at 2.30 tomorrow. Sorry."

"You know I should kick you in the for screwing up my team line-up, right? But I'm just so happy you're seeing someone that I'm gonna let it go. This time. " Luhan gave a very loud, long suffering sigh, "And to think I managed to get Chanyeol on board too. Jonginnnnn ..."

"Tell you what, I'll see if I can find someone to sub for me, k? Don't write Yeol off first."

"Dude, are you kidding me? I'm not going to waste all that effort! It took me two damn days to convince him! I was just gonna make him a sub or a water boy or something."

"Water boy?" Jongin gave Luhan an incredulous look.

"Or something," Luhan shrugged,  "So! Big date tomorrow!  How are things going with Accountant Guy?"

"They're going pretty good actually. But I'm not going to say anymore cos I don't wanna jinx myself."

"What the hell, Jongin?! But you're telling me everything on Monday, ok? No buts."

"Ok, ok, Monday." Jongin put his hands up in surrender - because it wasn't like there was any way to withstand Luhan on a rampage so he wasn’t even going to try.

"Have fun tomorrow, and for what it's worth, I really hope he's everything you need. Good luck!  I gotta go home and shower. Xiumin and I are going out for dinner and a movie." Luhan then proceeded to wriggle his backside all over the corner of the worktable - announcing cheerfully, "Now THAT is what I call disrespect. I was just sitting earlier."

"I hope your movie !" Jongin growled as Luhan left the room in a burst of energy and noise. He shook his head at his friend's audacity then began gathering his work equipment together for storage. He supposed they should work weekends and make a killing like other florists did but they were basically a bunch of slackers who still liked to relax on Saturdays and Sundays like other twentysomethings. They made enough to live comfortably and still had a tidy profit left over so working weekends could stay on the backburner for now.

Saturday afternoon. With Kyungsoo. Jongin sighed blissfully before picking his phone off the worktable and scrolling through his contacts.

"Junmyeon hyung? Are you free tomorrow afternoon? You are?  Can you do me a favor? Can you erm ... play paintball?"

 

* * *
 

Jongin's hands gripped the wheel tiredly, thinking to himself that it was a good thing birthdays only came once a year. Jongho had messaged him on Tuesday to say that this year they'd meet at Seoul Garden Restaurant in Baker Street downtown. Once he'd keyed in the reminder, he'd tried his best to push it out of his mind. But it had lingered on the edges of his consciousness anyway - like an indelible stain that couldn't be scrubbed out.

His screen lit up.  It was a text from his brother:

Jongin, will be half hour late. Held up at work. Sorry. Will try to get there sooner if I can.

Jongin groaned. How was he going to make it through the first half hour?  And it would be half an hour and no less because while there were many things that man lacked, he was nothing if not unfailingly punctual. So that first half hour would be excruciating and Jongin was already cringing in anticipation. Jongho was usually around to share the load throughout the entire ordeal - damn his stupid job for delaying him this time. He took a deep inhale, Calm down, Jongin, you can do this.

Then, rubbing his eyes in a nervous gesture, he opened the car door and swung his long legs out reluctantly. Feeling like he'd swallowed a ball of dread, Jongin began jogging towards Seoul Garden.  A light drizzle had started up fifteen minutes earlier and Jongin didn't have an umbrella, so there he was, running through the rain. The moisture frizzed the ends of his hair which had escaped from the confines of his hood - he hated when that happened but he was too preoccupied to care now. Before he knew it, he was brushing water droplets off his light summer hoodie and being shown to a table in a well-lit corner of the cosy Korean restaurant.

There was a thin, middle aged man seated at the reserved table. His features were stern and there were fine, almost-wrinkles etched under his eyes and his crow’s feet were more deeply marked than they had been this time a year ago.

"Jongin."

"Good evening, Appa." Jongin bowed respectfully before taking a seat beside the unsmiling man.

-----

 

 

"Jongin-ah, I'm sorry I was late but it's been pretty bad at work this week. I know spending time with Appa is extra tough on you because of Umma. I hope it wasn't too uncomfortable before I arrived? Did you guys even talk?" Jongho gave an apologetic smile. He had a kind face but while he was as tanned as Jongin, he didn't have his younger brother's handsome features. They had the same smile, the two brothers - their eyes lit up and crinkled in the same way. But while Jongho's smile was always self assured, Jongin had a whole variation of shy and awkward smiles in his repertoire to balance out the confident smiles he shared with people he was comfortable with. And of course, there was the considerable ten year that separated them. Jongho's face was broader in the jaw area and where Jongin was tall and lithe, his brother was shorter and heavier set.

"Well, he's not mellowing with age. Not that I can tell, anyway. Why are we still doing this every year? We barely say anything during dinner. And at least you're a lawyer so you have a respectable job and he'll ask you how your career is going. I don't think he'll ever accept that I'm a florist - he doesn't consider it a real job. He asks me the same thing every birthday dinner: so have you found yourself a real job yet? That's what we talked about before you arrived - alternative careers I could switch to because I'm 25 and it's time I stopped dabbling in flowers and started using my college qualifications to look for a respectable job." Jongin wasn't bitter exactly but there was no doubt he had a somewhat troubled relationship with his father.

"Just ignore him, Jongin. You've got a perfectly respectable career and you probably make as much as me - without having to deal with obnoxious corporate clients."

"Well we do get the occasional OCD bride and scary mother in law. That can get a little stressful. And you know what a chicken I am, hyung. I'd just say yes to everything they demand for - no matter how ridiculous. That's why Luhan handles the more intimidating clients," Jongin chuckled and Jongho smiled at that.

"I'll give you that, you could have a bit more belief in yourself. It's good you have Luhan to run interference. And the next time Appa tells you to use your degree, tell him you've been using it all along - that business degree you have because he wouldn't let you study Horticulture."

"You know I won't ever do that. Whenever he gives me that disapproving look all the thoughts just fly out of my head, hyung."

"Oh I don't know about that, Jongin. You seemed a little different tonight. For one, you didn't look down at your food throughout the entire meal."

"You're only saying that because you missed the first half hour!" Jongin gave his brother a light punch, "I can tell you the exact shade of burgundy red the tablecloth was, and the exact number and shapes of the kimchi and soy sauce stains that were on it."

"You're exaggerating!" Jongho chuckled and ruffled Jongin's hair affectionately. They were not the closest of siblings but they shared an easy and warm relationship - he couldn't act silly and whiny in front of Jongho and he couldn't ask him for dating advice like he did with Tao and Kris, but they did all right. Jongin loved his brother and his brother loved him.

"You haven't come over for dinner in ages, Jongin - which is mostly my fault. I've been so busy with work, I just pass out during weekends. The kids have been complaining - we miss Uncle Jongie, Appa ask him to visit quick. And Jiwon has been hinting too that I neglect my little brother. She said if I don't invite you soon, she's going to do it herself. You know how protective she's been of you since Umma died. She says I'm a bad brother who doesn't take care of his dongsaeng."

"Hyung! I'm 25, I'm not a kid anymore, what does she mean by neglect?" Jongin laughed -  but for all his bluster, his sister in law and him openly doted on each other. And of course he completely adored his eight year-old niece Jinri and ten year-old nephew Jinki.

"It's been too long, Jongin. Anyway, I'll sort out a time with Jiwon and I'll let you know, ok?"

"Sure, hyung."

"Don't let Appa get you down, ok? You know how he is. You just do your own thing.  Umma would have been so proud of you." .

"Thanks, hyung.  That makes me feel much better about tonight."

Then Jongho cleared his throat awkwardly. They rarely discussed anything that personal with each other and now they both felt a little discomfited, looking anywhere but at each other.

"So I'll call you when I have a date for dinner at my house, ok?" Jongho smiled fondly and Jongin nodded, yes.

* * *

Jongin always assured his brother that he was all right but he never was, not really. It usually took him a day or two to shake off the melancholy air that always clung to him after their annual meeting with Appa. It was in the grip of this blue mood that Jongin found himself driving around aimlessly on fluorescent-splashed streets after leaving the restaurant. Fifteen minutes later,  he found himself sitting in the car park of Kyungsoo's apartment complex, engine idling and hands curled helplessly in his lap.

Turning off the ignition, he shakily reached for his phone.

"Jongin? What's up?"

"Hyung, are you home?" Even to Jongin himself, his voice sounded dispirited and just a little bit wounded.

"Yes, I'm home. What's wrong? You don't sound so good. Jongin?" Kyungsoo's voice was infused with concern and anxiety.

"I'm kind of downstairs.  Can I come up?"

"Yes, come on up! Jongin, are you ok?"

"I will be. I always am."

* * *

Jongin hated using doorbells - they always sounded jarring to him. So his knuckles were just about to rap on the mahogany surface of the apartment door when it suddenly swung open. Kyungsoo stood there with one hand on the door, his features laced with what looked like mild anxiety. Even in a worn black t-shirt which said, Trust me, I'm a Jedi (Jongin had to smile at that) and gray drawstring pants, Kyungsoo managed to look neat. But most of all, he looked worried.

"Sorry for showing up like this, hyung," he apologized, a wan smile on his face. Kyungsoo didn't say anything then, just taking him by the hand and pulling him into the apartment.

"What happened, Jongin?"

"I just ... I don't want to talk right now. Can we just ... be ... quiet for a while?"

Kyungsoo nodded and just hugged him. Jongin sank into his warm embrace and inhaled the comforting scent of lemony soap, minty shampoo and Kyungsoo. And for what felt like the first time that evening, he stopped holding his breath ...

-----------

A/N: Ahnyeong everyone! Sorry this another slow chapter but again, there were issues I needed to explore. Hope I don't lose half my subs from the lack of action in my story lol. All the characters have been yelling at me for days, hence the frequent updates. I can't promise I'll be able to get the next one out as quick but I'll try, ok? I hope this wasn't too boring for you all and please let me know what you think. I really do love reading your comments! 

I leave you with an image of Kai leaning against a wooden railing for the Vogue Girl shoot half a lifetime ago - hurry up with the comeback, SM ffs! I saw it on my tumblr dash this morning and I had to share it cos you all know how this fic's Jongin loves the feel of  wood under his bare arms ;)). I just love his arms lol, forget the damn railing. I hate those sunnies but Kaiiiiiiiiiii ... sigh. Ok, I'm rambling so it's time to gooooo ... Bye! And remember that comments are always loved!