When He Dropped His Pen

Pins and Post-its

You must’ve wondered how did I, Bang Yongguk, learned about Jongup’s feelings? Well, other than my gay-dar, I just got a gift for reading people and their emotions I guess. But anyway, here’s a tidbit, a drabble of Jongup’s side of this push-and-pull and frustrating love story.

 

 

Jongup was staying over at IU’s to study, or that’s what they say. Jongup could hear IU arguing with someone and by the sound of the cynical voice he could tell that it was a man. IU’s older brother probably, he thought as he continues to walk up the stairs and towards the study room.

 

When IU finally returned, she left the door ajar and it was just for a fleeting moment but Jongup saw her brother’s broad back and left his mouth open. “Jongup,” IU called threateningly. Jongup was brought back to reality and felt embarrassed. IU moved out from her chair and towards the door saying, “Don’t be fooled by that jerk’s body, so it may be physically attractive, but it’s still a demon’s shell,” she warns and Jongup chortles at the excessiveness of her description but reassures IU that he’s not that shallow.

 

 

*~*~*

 

Jongup was running towards the bus stop, he had overslept but thankfully his class wasn’t until eleven he still has at least an hour.

 

“Hey, you drop something,” someone called out for him.

“,” he mutters as he realized he dropped his favorite pen, the pen that has been with him since he started first year. “Thanks,” he says as he takes it from the person’s hand and gave a quick bow. But Jongup didn’t know exactly how to feel after seeing the person’s face. Should he be thankful, should he feel lucky or should he hit himself for carelessly liking someone for their looks? But he has no time to muse about it. The guy just shrugged and continued walking the opposite direction and Jongup hopped on the bus before he gets left behind. Jongup hurriedly looks for a spot near the window and watches the guy walk further and further away and convinces himself that there was no harm in liking someone based on looks, he does this every time. What’s the harm of giving your eyes a dose of vitamins, right? It was a face he’d rarely see anyway.

 

 

*~*~*

 

Jongup wasn’t the type of person to study out, rather, he wasn’t the type to study but when push comes to shove Jongup went looking for a café, following mainstream. The heavens had probably cried tears of joy because it had suddenly rained and Jongup had not an umbrella with him, luckily, he found a coffee shop and took shelter inside. He was surprised when he saw IU and sat across her.

 

“I am minding my own business you insensitive fool.” The barista whose name was Daehyun and Jongup had just learned had said. IU made a hurt sound from disbelief and loss of words. “Aren’t you describing yourself?”

 

Jongup had found himself in the middle of an argument. And after snapping out of his confusion and fear he remembered something, a familiar voice. And hearing Daehyun again he almost cussed loudly, but confirmed things before letting his feelings run wild.

 

“Ummm… you seem pretty close?” Jongup almost squeaked, his voice was too meek.  IU and Daehyun’s attention were fully diverted. IU’s anger dissipated and Daehyun stifled a smirk.

“It’s… complicated,” Daehyun says with a shrug.  

“He’s my older brother by a few months.” And before Jongup could say another word, “Half,” IU said with a shrug.

 

 

Jongup the inside of his cheeks, could there really be such a thing as love at first sight? He wondered but then again, he didn’t actually started liking the guy until that day at the bus stop and observing how he is with IU he thought he wouldn’t really like him so much as a crush - Daehyun wasn't exactly his type, emotionally-wise. Jongup just enjoyed and cherished every minute being in the same place with Daehyun for days on, admiring him silently.

 

“Hey, Jongup, I hope you won’t be offended or anything,” I asked cautiously, making sure that no one was around to hear what I was about to say. Jongup looked at me patiently. “You like Daehyun, don’t you?” Jongup blinked in surprise and then denied too well that if I hadn’t probed further he’d really have me believing him. “I’ll seriously keep it a secret, and I won’t judge you or anything, I assure you.”

Jongup stared at me and sighed then nodded hesitantly so.

“Well, I hope it’s nothing serious,” I said with a pat on his shoulder.

“You and I both,” he muttered and we had a laugh.

 

 

 

But after days of being acquaintances and weeks of being friends, Daehyun had acted out of character and slipped a note inside Jongup’s book that had brought back the feelings Jongup said had faded away. Jongup had started hating the feeling, especially the confusion tagged along with it. Daehyun was an indifferent, cynical person. He shows his feelings of caring in a unique way and had barely shown anything towards Jongup but Jongup's feelings hasn’t burnt out like it used to.

 

But if I tell you how his heart was appeased then wouldn’t it be like telling the whole story all over again?

END. END. ^_^v