Quaintness

You're the ONE
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
"Quaintness"

Nichkhun's POV

"And, turn, lift, freeze," Yunho chants, as we run through out routine again, for the umpteenth time.

We finish, with Qian and I facing away from the audience.

"Okay, perfect," Yunho claps, smiling widely.

I turn around, Qian breathing heavily as she smiles widely.

I return her grin, turning to see Yunho grinning as he nods. I return the favour, but in my head I'm slightly confused.

See, since Yunho had got here, everything had been normal. No hostility from him, not butting in with my relationship with Qian. In fact, he had been totally neutral, even adding a few more intimate scenes to the dance himself.

It's not that I can't tell he's a nice guy. After all, Qian would straight away know he was bad news, and definitely not spend any time with him if that was the case. So obviously he's not plotting some scheme.

But it's strange.

His brother is, or was, Qian's boyfriend. Logically, he should be taking all measures possible to keep Qian and I away from each other. But on the contrary, he seems to be doing the complete opposite. He's completely normal with each intimate move, having added to the dance the two of us are doing hugely. Admittedly, before the dance had been a little distant, in order to avoid awkwardness or unease. A soon as Yunho entered, he began making changes, not too big, but not very small either. He practically created the routine we have today, just by adding extra detail. It's gone from neutral, to romantic and realistic of a relationship, everything a proper couple dance should've been in the first place.

I remember Qian mentioning how they were the complete opposite in this respect, and Lian Noona mentioning how Yunho was often the one to set Changmin straight when he behaved out of line or possessive. Seems he really is the one who trusts Qian more.

Or maybe it was just easier for him to maintain a clear head and perspective as simply an on-looker. It would be a lot harder to remain so logical if he were the one in the relationship, insecurities forced upon him.

I growl under my breath as I try to shake that line of thought, whilst Qian and I take a water break.

Leaning against the wall, my thoughts don't stop like I will them to. It's becoming more and more of a common thing, feeling pity for Changmin. I don't have a choice though, since I'm suppose to see him as a threat and an enemy. But ever since I started questioning my right to fight for Qian at all, Changmin often slips in a side note. And I'm not suppose to feel pity or guilt toward a potential rival

I press the bottle to my lips and take a gulp as I consider. Then again, it's easier to say it now. Whilst the date nears, things are changing. Changmin was a hypothetical obstacle, but he's fast becoming a real issue. When he's here, these feelings will disappear, it will finally sink in, become real, rather than just a story of Qian's past.

"You okay?" A soft voice interrupts my thoughts, and I turn to see Qian standing by my side, concern etched into her features.

My chest is instantly filled with warmth, and before long I'm smiling back at her, a natural reaction for the feeling's she brings with just a look.

Who am I kidding? I wonder to myself. There was never any real consideration, not even a doubt or a decision to be made. Cos it was always beyond my control. It may have been a small crush I held for Qian, since the first time I met her, but distancing myself just made it develop further.

This girl standing in front of my means more to me than any one in my life, in a different way to any one else. I'm always gonna fight for her, and that hasn't changed since I told her. Even if I don't have the right, even if Changmin was here first, heck even if my chance of winning is small. I'll still fight. It isn't a choice, it's an obligation.

And just from her eyes, I can see she knows that. And what's more, she feels something similar. So there's a chance, however slim, and I'm gonna fight for that.

But for now, this is enough.

"I'm fine," I return her smile, before following her as we head back to our practise space.

Yoonah's POV

"Unniiee," I whine, hugging her arm as we walk down the corridor, toward the canteen.. "Just come!"

"Yooonnnaaa," she whines right back at me. "I don't wannttt tooo! It's fine really, I'll just eat lunch with... um... erm-"

"See unnie!" I giggle. "Just come and sit with me and Taecyeon!"

"Yoonah I-"

"Fine then," I pout. "I'll just eat lunch with you and cancel on Taecyeon."

"Nooo," Soeun shakes her head vigorously. "I won't let you do that."

"So... come and sit with us then!"

"I, I," she sighs, with an underlying smile at my antics. "Ok then if you're sure it isn't a problem."

I huff. "Why would eating lunch with my best friend be a problem?"

Soeun just giggles, finally nodding. "Thanks Yoonah."

I beam at her.

I know she just doesn't want to be a third wheel to Taecyeon and I, but there's no way I'm gonna let her spend her lunch alone. Even if this is the reverse of my begging to spend lunch with Taecyeon this morning. I know Taecyeon won't mind, if he did I wouldn't be spending any more time around him. Sisters before Misters, right? Plus, the more the merrier. What's better than having lunch with one of my best friends and my... erm... partner?

I frown as my train of thought spirals off into something else, as Soeun and I walk together. 

Taecyeon and I have been... something for a while now. It's been a number of days since our date, but nothing else has happened since then. So what would I label us as? What does that mean he is to me? I don't know.

It's this kinda thing that's been bothering me for a while now.

I mean, look how perfect it seems; Taecyeon as a person, our relationship, how easy it's been. It's all better than I imagined and I guess I just don't know when to be happy, never letting my guard down. I can thank my shining mother for that quality...

"So how are things at home?" Soeun asks, slightly hesitantly, and I start at being awaken from my thoughts.

"They're... the same," I sigh, shrugging slightly. What can I do either way?

"Ok," Soeun nods, acknowledging my same-old attitude.

"And things with Taecyeon?"

I contemplate for a second or two, but I know the answer.

"They're great," I smile.

 

*  *  *

 

Taecyeon's POV

"Hi Oppa." 

I turn with a smile, a result of the familiar voice.

"Yoonah-yah," I grin, standing and walking to meet her as she approaches the table. 

She takes her time, and I note she has her front up again. She looks cool, and in charge, like she's putting on a show. I've noticed this about her. It's like she has to be reminded she's secure here before to drops the queenka-ish facade and flirtatious behaviour. I don't really feel like starting from scratch again, so before she says anything else, I pull her into a hug, startling her and our onlookers. 

"I missed you," I grin sincerely as I pull away, scanning her beaming features. Better to get straight to it, and open, then to be awkward or fake.

My grin widens as I note the mild smile has dropped, and been replaced by a sincere happy one instead.

"I missed you too," she replied, dropping the front.

We stand there blissfully for another few seconds, before we snap out of it, startled awake by a soft coughing.

"Oh!" Yoonah turns, revealing the source of the sound. "I forgot... sorry unnie."

My eyes flicker to the new edition, and my smile widens again.

"Yo Soeun," I lift a hand, not waiting for the introduction as she stand behind Yoonah.

"Hi Taecyeon," she says, returning my smile.

"Unnie's gonna sit with us," Yoonah says, softly yet firmly, as though challenging me to disagree.

"Woah," I raise my hands jokingly. "That's fine with me."

Yoonah giggle, before pulling her friend to stand beside her.

"Thanks Taecyeon. Sorry for crashing your date," Soeun smiles.

"Nah, it's cool. It's not like we're alone any way," I nod, meaning it. But I can't deny that the thought of spending lunch alone is appealing, just Yoonah and I.

 

Soeun's POV

"Huh?" I murmur, confused, as Taecyeon pulls Yoonah along, with me in tow.

"I said, it's not like we're alone any way."

My eyes widen momentarily, but I calm myself. What are the chances?

Exactly 1/5. A little voice in the back of my mind replies, causing my stomach to do littel flips. 

But before I can think any further, a voice butts in to my conflict.

"Wow, thought you were gonna take the whole of lunch greeting your girlfriend back there."

 It just had to be...

"Oh shut up," Taecyeon grins, turning to face us. "Mr comedian's joining us today as well."

He steps aside, revealing him. The one and only...

"The names Junho, but thanks for the compliment," he smirks, standing to greet us. 

"Yo Yoonah Noona," he raises a hand, his tone playful as he addresses her the same way he always does. 

If I was thinking straight I would've noticed the greeting. Yoonah hates being called Noona. It's also one of the few things Qian dislikes.

But I wasn't.

"Yah, don't go there player," Yoonah grins, only rises one side of her lips. The look seems kinda familiar...

Like HIS signature smirk. 

How did I not noticed before?

"Yah, yah, yah " Taecyeon pulls Yoonah closer beside him. "What is this? Stop now." he jokingly shields her from Junho's sight.

Yoonah giggles, and Junho just smirks.

I watch the exchange with a small smile. Taecyeon is so perfect for Yoonah. I'm just wondering when he's gonna decide to make it official...

I snap out of my moment of blissful ignorance. Before HE was interacting with Yoonah, so it was ok to relax a little. But that's about to change.

 I hold my breath as playful gaze shifts over to me, in anticipation, wondering how he will react to seeing me again. 

I think I see something in his eyes, but that thought is extinguished as his face changes a little.

I stare at him in shock, everything coming back. See, it's true that nothing else has happened between us since yesterday. But since yesterday, I'd been stewing over and over. This morning I wasn't just avoiding him out of awkwardness. I was avoiding him out of anger, after yesterday's incident...

|| FLASH BACK ||

Wow, I guess I really am clumsy... 

Yet again, Junho managed to conveniently grab me. There's no big confusion as to why this is all too familiar.

Junho's all too familiar scent entered my sinuses, and inhaled deeply, before freezing.

We're too close... again.

I was suppose to be upholding boundaries, and yet, here I am again, exactly where I always am with him. His hand moved to lift my chin, forcing me to look up, before going back to slither around my waist, emitting an odd sense of warmth. Or maybe that's just me.

"Princess?"

At those words, I looked away, forcing my gaze elsewhere, even if it's looking right through him. Okay, my boundaries did not hold up in terms of proximity, but I can still deny looking at him. Cos I knew the moment I did that, I would fall completely out of control, and things would progress the way they always did. 

I almost looked at him, as I heard a low grumble, his chest almost vibrating next to mine, and I couldn't tell whether he was chuckling or groaning at my lack of reaction.

"Soeun," he appealed, as I fought relentlessly with my instinct to give in. 

Suddenly, his approach changed, and I felt his arms move from around my waist, to instead the bark of the tree behind me, forcing us closer, as I tried my best to lean away. 

I don't know why I didn't just push him away, or protest aloud, but I didn't. Maybe I was testing myself, pushing it to the limits. Or maybe, just maybe I didn't have the will.

Either way, I should've done it whilst I had the chance.

I felt him move even close, almost crushing me to the bark, and yet I was still comfortable. His face leveled with mine, and our breathing mingled. Ever

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter