Count Down

You're the ONE
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
"Count Down"

Qian's POV

I slowly and unwillingly open my eyes, though I've been awake for some time now. My eyes are met by my familiar room, the walls light and bright, contrasting to my mood ironically.

Day 364...

One day left...

It's almost been a full year. It be so long, and yet the time is almost over.

Or is it? Will he come back? Will he actually come back? And if he does what then? Nichkhun...

I sit up abruptly, stopping my train of thought right there. I've been down this path once too often.

Before my mind can idlly wander again, I swing my legs off the bed, slipping my feet into my shoes, and briefly glancing at the clock. I'm early. As usual. But too early isn't good, that's too much time for spare thought.

Good thing I'm an expert at pre-occupying myself.

Turning to the door, I exit my room. I head to the stairs, listening carefully. My parents would've left already. This house is quiet, and it's not really how I like to spend my mornings. But hey, I have Lian. That's better than most people. She's around almost every morning, and we act like we live in the same house most of the time. I can't hear her though, so she must have been in a rush.

With a sigh, I head back to my room, taking my time to appreciate the whole room.

This is actually the smallest room in my house, and it's still decent sized. I didn't want one of the three other massive ones, the fourth one is almost average sized. I'm used to this kind of thing by now any way. The road owned by my family is a luxur living space, and each house is stunning. One side consistsfully of the window and seat, only a small distance from my bed. The other side was my desk, drawers, and one door to my en-suite. The back wall was covered mainly by a massive three-door fitted wardrobe, which I contained most of the clothes Li had brought for me, as well as the many obligatory items my parents had gotten me, for events that a daughter, an heiress, of one of the largest families in China, should attend. I don't mind though, it's just part of me. The only other thing on that wall, is the enterance door to my room, where I'm standing right now.

Still, this is home to me, no matter how big the rooms are, it feels cosy and comfortable. I feel... at peace. Well, most of the time.

With a sigh, I head toward the wardrobe, lightly opening the push-and-open draws, and collecting a pile of clean clothes, before closing the draw, and reaching to a nearby rack to collect my uniform, hanging neatly. Sliding the door close again, I lay the uniform out on my bed, keeping only my essentials, before heading toward my bathroom.

Locking the door behind me, I turn to the cupboard, pulling out a folded towel and grabbing my bath robe from the hook, before setting them both aside on the towel rail, and turning on the shower taps.

I sigh as I relax in the warm water a minute or so later. Showers always did calm me down, and now is not an exception. The pale, cool tiles are reassuring, the soft berry scented wash proving to be a calming factor and I drift off into a haven for a while. I shower and wash my hair quickly, too quickly, and I'm soon finish.

I find myself out of the shower, in my room again, clothed in my soft bath robe. I sigh, looking around the room again. The clock at my bedside, tells me I'm still to early, too early to even eat.

I dry my hair, taking extra care with the blow-dryer, the soft humming almost lulling me to sleep, as I sit in my empty room, idly wandering if Li is coming at all today. She may be with Suho... but I somehow doubt it. My thoughts lead down a familiar route, and I find myself thinking of Nichkhun again. Somehow, that's where most of my thoughts are leading to now. Either him or...

He hasn't been around as much lately... and I miss him. I almost called him, a few times, almost asked him to come over, or what he was up to. I shake my head softly. It isn't fair that I miss him. He can do as he wishes. The dance has been coming along fine, though there seems to be more intimacy than when we first began. Yunho is still with us every few lessons, and he mainly focuses on us. We've caught up a lot during this time, and he seems to truly be just the same as he was back then. He doesn't seem to mind the intimacy between Nichkhun and I, in fact he added a little himself, and I wonder why exactly that is. It's not like he was often siding with Changmin though. Her trusted me more than perhaps even he did, and I remember that being a pain I endured too. It seems everyone could see how in love I was with Changmin... except Changmin himself.

I blink rapidly as a dull groaning brings me back to life. I turn the hairdryer off, realising my hair has been dry for quite a while now. Avoiding the clock, I turn to my uniform, quickly changing into it, brushing my hair once, and doing my tie, before finally heading out of my room once more. I reach the stairs, passing nurmerous empty rooms, and take my time walking down the staircase, whilst adjusting my tie once again. However, I pause as I reach the base, my hand resting on the large banister, inhaling deeply.

A deep scent is drifting through the room, one I can't place but is no doubt deliciously apetizing, and I'm instantly drawn to it.

"Li?" I call, a small smile evident on my face.

I head toward the kitchen, but pause in the living room, as I note a vibration in my blazer pocket. Pulling out my phone, I unlock the screen, tapping on the unread message curiously, furrowing my brow as I read the sender.

Hey Qian-ahhhh! Good morning sis ^.- Sorry, wont be able to make it over today, Suho's taking me out for our day off uni... You won't be lonely though. Have fun... Thank me later ;)  Bye hun xx

I turned my phone screen off, my eyes flickering toward the kitchen cautiously. Not in fear, no, the person her is obviously due to Lian. So there's no need to worry about intruders, or uninvited guests. Still, I wonder who it could be. One of the girls maybe? Somehow, I don't think so.

I walk boldly into the kitchen, my steps light and soft. As I draw closer, I hear a slight sizzling, and the clutter of dishes. I fasten my pace, an unexplainable knot in my stomach. Okay, it's not exactly... unexplainable.

I enter the kitchen, my eyes guarded as  look to the stove, only to be caught by a smiling face, eyes shining out at me.

"Nichkhun," is all I can manage, my breathing slightly catching in my throat. What is Nichkhun doing in my kitchen? Li...

Her previous 'have fun' echoes in my mind. That girl...

"Hey Qian-ah," he smiles.

We just stand theer for a second, each having a silent reunion, his eyes apparently not wanting to release mine, and there's no way I can look away just yet.

When I look at him, when he looks at me like this, I feel so exposed. Like he's looking into my mind, reading me like a book. It's something I've rarely felt, and that would usually sound unappealing to me. And yet, it doesn't feel so wrong.

Still, after a few seconds, I drop my gaze. I'm not sure if I want him seeing my emotions right now, and iif it wasn't for his sake I may just leave it as it was. But it is for him. I can't be selfish. I can't do this to him. I can't make him wait.

He's already said there's nothing I can do to stop him... My subconscience reminds me.

My eyes flicker back to his as I remember that day, everything that happened on the day Jin reappeared, the true meaning.

Okay, so I can't stop him from waiting either. But I don't need to make it even harder on him.

His smile has softened by the time I come back to the present, his features soft an understanding as his gaze flickers to the plate in front of him.

"I made breakfast."

I look down too, following his line of vision, to be met by a tray, stacked with toast, eggs and various other foods, topped with two coffee mugs.

"American breakfast?" he asks, watching me carefully.

I hesitate for only a second. This is Nichkhun. Although we haven't had a proper conversation in a while, only smalll talk between dancing rounds, I still feel comfortable as ever in his familiar presence. It's even more obvious I missed him, even when he was right here the whoel time. It feels as if he's returned from somewhere foreign. Again, my house seems to be full of life, the homely smell of breakfast in the air, rather than an empty silence, with just one person making all the difference.

I can't deny the belong I feel, the familiarity with the situation of him being here, so strong it feels erry. I know, as my heart flips over, I am, and he does too from the way I know my eyes are shining.

So what's the point in lying?

I smile as I meet his gaze.

"It looks delicious."

 

Nichkhun's POV

I set the plate down before her, before taking my own seat at the kitchen table. She is looking at her plate as I do so, and I take the opportunity to get a proper look at her. I note the faint rose colour of her cheeks, the glow that is always surroounding her skin, her eyelashes touching her skin as she looks down, and finally her bunny-like eyes, observant and intelligent, yet cautious as ever. My heart warms as she begins her meal, the food I cooked for her.

I've missed her.

I knew this from the moment I saw her this morning.

Recently, I've been a little preoccupied. I was mostly thinking, distant althugh I was in the very same room. The first day, the day I skipped out on lunch, turned out to take up the whole of the day...

|| FLASH BACK ||

She noted my presence quickly, turning to face me with her eyes shining, as she recognised me. I smiled back.

"Noona," I say, and she lets out a little squeal.

"FIN-AL-LY!" She exclaimed, jumping up from her seat and rushing over.

I glanced around as she beckoned to me, quickly stepping on to the university campus and standing before her.

"Long time no see!" 

"Neh," I said feeling guilty as I scratched the back of my neck. 

"It's fine," she chuckled. "I'm glad you're here."

I chuckled, instantly becoming comfortable.

"You were expecting me?"

"Of course. You are, after all, Qian's savior."

I felt my ears heating up, and dropped my eyes, chuckling awkwardly.

"Sure."

"Aw, Khunnies shy! Cute," she chuckled good-naturedly, taking a seat and indicating for me to do so too.

"Khunnie..." I furrowed my brow, but she continued.

"I was wondering when the heck I would see you again," she smiled. "But I guess you came to find me, right?"

Observant, just like Qian...

"I did."

I let out a chuckle, and she smiled softly. I took a second to observe her fully, her mature, caring eyes, soft posture, approachable smile and yet how she somehow demanded respect.

It had been a while since I'd encountered Qian's cousin - and even in our friendship we'd never been close, though we were always comfortable. I could see how close they were and Lian seem to take a liking to our friendship. If Qian was a sisterly figure, Lian was motherly, in the aspect of care. She looked out for every one she cared for, it was obvious she was deeper than she let on.  However, Lian gave off the air of an older less serious sister, someone to mess around with, yet someone who is years ahead, who should be respected. Although she mostly joked around - and at first, it was hard to decide whether she really was just bubbly -she too held authority, like she could switch to protect what she loved. Eventually I got it ; it was a front. The fact she could do this, had so much personality, bouncy and bubbly, also meant she was better at concealing emotions, in a more subtle way. She was wise.

She was the first to pick up on my feelings. In fact, I think she knew them before I did. She never reacted adversely, and by the time I got around to wondering why, Qian had already cut me off. 

But here I am. 

"So what, my future brother in law, can I do for you?" she asked, and I smiled, somehow not taken aback. She had never been this outright about it before... but I hadn't seen her for months. 

"Does that mean you're on my team?" I decided to take my chances, cutting to the chase.

She chuckled. "I never said that. I suppose, if you wanted, you could say your side is more appealing, more preferable," her expression became serious. "I'm on Qian's side."

I nodded slowly as she emphasised the words, understanding the meaning.

"Still, doesn't mean I can't offer a little help," she smiled again. "What can I do for you, dear dongsaeng? I take it you didn't just come to visit me."

I leant forward on the bench, my eyes still on her, as I rubbed my palms together, wondering how to express it.

"Yunho-sunbae," I said slowly, watching for a change in her features. There was none. "He... he's coaching at our dance class."

She nodded slowly. "He does a little for the school, coming back for little jobs here and there. It's only to be expected."

I nodded, giving up on searching her features. If she was surpised, she was restraining it.

She was too good.

"Did you know him?"

She sighed as she spoke, almost to herself. "Changmin's brother is here."

She stated it as though she was digesting it, but also letting it slip for alternate reasons.

"I... know," I replied, wondering if I was to reveal this.

"Yeah, I guessed Qian would've said," she replied, her eyes changing, dropping humour, dropping her lack of seriousness. Her whole demeanor transformed. "How was she? Did she react strangely? Is she okay?"

"She's fine," I replied, knowing that her priority was Qian. "She was surprised to see him, at first avoiding him. But when we faced him, at the end of the lesson, they hugged and both seemed relieved. Yunho looked like he missed her, and she did too. I left them catching up... they seem close." I sighed.

I waited for her to digest this information, as she nodded to herself.

"Yunho wouldn't have held a grudge. He was the sensible one out of the two, though they were both always mature. Most of the time he was backing Qian and practically slapping the sense into Changmin. They were quite close, in a siblings manner."

"I figured," I murmured.

Her eyes flickered back to me, a smile revealing itself as her seriousness dropped, worry subsided.

"Changmin isn't back," she finally revealed. "The family is divided. Yunho went his separate way from his family a while ago, so there's no chance of them all being back. I doubt that Changmin is travelling with him, if he was, he'd definitely come to school with Yunho. He isn't here."

I exhaled, as she elimated my fears one by one.

"I see," I muttered.

She raised an eyebrow. "Even if he was, you might've been more relieved. It's hard enough that there are two fighting over her, and she loves you both... but how do you even fight when one doesn't even bother to show?" she tutted.

I chuckled with a slight nod. "I guess. I suppose I was mentally relying on a few more days preparation."

She grinned. "You don't need it Nichkhun. You're more than ready to take him on."

I smile, grateful for the encouragement.

"So Noona, about Yunho..." I trailed off, unsure whether I should be asking.

"Hm, I thought Qian would be reluctant to bring it all back," she nodded. "But, quite frankly, there are some things you need to know. It's only fair."

I nodded in agreement, as she leant back on the bench.

"I have to start at the beginning, which means revealing things from Qian's past. Listen carefully Nichkhun, cause I'm not sure it's my place to reveal their history more than once," she began. "But just for now, I'm convinced."

I nodded, my face serious as I agree solemnly.

Her eyes locked with mine a second longer.

"You will not ask for more," she assured me, but her words were imperative.

I got the message, and she looked away as soon as she saw, fire fading away, giving me a few seconds to prepare myself.

The silence lasted only seconds, before she inhaled deeply, beginning.

"You know already that once, not so long ago, Qian and Changmin were in love."

I flinched as she made the statement, recoiling from a fact I wish wasn't true. It sure would've made this a whole lot easier if it was a simple crush.

Lian instantly picked up on the move, her eyes locking onto mine again. "It's true. Changm

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter