Let the Games Begin

You're the ONE
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
"Let the Games Begin"

Junho's POV

"So, how's the technique going?" Wooyoung asks, as we're on our way to school Monday morning, and he grins as I protest. "Unless you'd rather go back to the show case."

The show case is officially a month from now... and I'm officially sick of talking about it. But when I told Wooyoung to change subject, I didn't think this would be his choice...

"Agh, yeah sure it's going great," I mutter, glad Nichkhun's somewhere else right now. That guys going missing more and more nowadays...

"Guessing that means you're screwing it up already?" Wooyoung chuckles, shaking his head.

"My technique isn't the problem actually," I groan. "I'm doing pretty well, even if I do say so myself."

"I find that hard to believe, but continue."

"It's Soeun," I sigh. "She's being... weird."

He raised an eyebrow. "Weird how?"

"Well, she's distant," I explain the notes of the last week. "When I talk to her, she doesn't look directly at me, she's always got to do something else, rushing off whenever I bump into her. She's suddenly so busy I rarely see her. I guess... she's avoiding me."

"Oh damn," Wooyoung nods. "That sound pretty bad."

I turn my eyes to him. "Thanks," I say saracastically. "I didn't know that."

"Okay, chill, it isn't that bad. It's only been six days since you decided you were going through with this."

"And I've only seen her three times since then," I point out, remembering the times I bumped into her in the corridor. All I had was a minute to work the old charms, before she ran off, each time making a crap excuse. 

"Three times?"

"Between lessons."

"Oh, then maybe she was just in a rush," he suggests

"Pft," I scoff. "Yeah busy, cos so far she needs to; go to her locker, meet her friends, and eat her lunch. And that's all between classes. You know, that three minute break between classes? Yeah, that."

"Oh, then yep dude she's avoiding you. Majorly."

"Wow, thanks," I say sarcastically, throwing him a look.

"What?" he grins. "If you wanted lies you shouldn't have asked me. Try your girlfriend, she seems to be dishing them out."

"Ha. Ha ha ha," I scowl. "I'm stuck here, you're meant to be helping. I listen to your pukey romance right?"

"Ha, no you don't," he states. 

I nod. Got me there.

"Fine."

Wooyoung chuckles but then sighs. "Look, Junho, you have to stay up there. You made a decision, and you're sure about her. So just stick it out, carry on, don't give it up. What about the cocky Junho, girls falling at his feet? You got this."

I nod, a grin plastering itself upon my face. "You're right... now that's the kinda thing I was looking for," I roll my eyes.

He chuckles again.

We walk through the school gates, walking toward the field.

"Speaking of your lovely girlfriend- OUCH," I yell, as he elbows me."There are the others."

We both head toward our group, me keeping a safe distance from Wooyoung the whole way. He's super sensitive about Jieun nowadays... smitten.

"Jieun!" Chansung yells as soon as we're in sight.

The others looked up, waving and greeting us. It feels like a long time since we've hung out together, since we've been busy every spare moment we've had. After we're done with the 'hello's, Chansung walks around Wooyoung, but his face falls.

"Hyung, what did you do with Jieun?"

The others look around in shock, used to seeing double when around either of the two. Whenever they can be, they are stuck together.

"Don't ask me," I shrug as they turn their eyes to me. "I was trying to ask before he went all psycho on me."

"Chill," Wooyoung grins. "She walked with Qian, Soeun and the others today. They got together this morning to have a chat."

I notice how my ears prick up at the sound of her name, subconsciously, but then I see I'm curious consciously. Soeun, Qian and Jieun are having a 'chat', that's perfectly normal and non suspicious.

Man, I'm paranoid... right?

* * * *

 

Soeun's POV

"So... finally all here at last," Qian smiles,after we're all done greeting each other. We walked to school in our usual groups, Qian and I, plus Jieun today, and Chaerin, Seohyun and Yoonah came from the other way. We all met on our bench in the gardens. It feels like ages since we've had a conversation all together, since we've just talked individually.

"Yeaahh, the groups back together!" Chaerin grins, high fiving Yoona, as the latter giggles.

"About time," I agree.

"I've missed my unnies," Jieun smiles, all of us 'aw'ing, whilst Seohyun smiles.

"I've had Chansung-ah as company, but I missed you all too," She says.

"Chansung-ah?" Chaerin asks, whilst Qian smiles and I look on in interest.

"You called him comfortably unnie?" Jieun exclaims, half stating, half questioning.

"Oh yeah," Seohyun nods. "We're... friends now."

"Friends?" Yoonah furrows her eyebrows. "But Hyunnie, doesn't he annoy you?"

"Annoy...? I guess..." she says as though she's only just thinking about it. "But he's okay."

Her face changes suddenly, her eyes glazing over. I instantly turn my gaze to Qian who is, as expected, analysing her features. A faint smile forms, just tugging at the side of her lips.

"So girls," Qian continues. "How are things?"

There's a chorus of 'all cool' or something along those lines, before Yoonah pipes up.

"Amazing," she sighs, her eyes glazing over. 

We all exchange looks. Well, more like Qian grins, I smile, Seohyun nods knowingly, Jieun giggles and Chaerin rolls her eyes, but we all see the small smile she's unable to conceal. We're all happy for Yoonah.

"You like him a lot then unnie?" Jieun asks.

"Yeah," Yoonah nods, a faint blush creeping up on her cheeks.

"Aw," I smile, hugging her. "I'm happy for you."

"ANY WAY," Chaerin interrupts, gagging. "Can we talk about something else? Like, say the showcase which is in a week."

We all groan.

"No offence Chae, but I don't think any one wants to talk about that. It's all that's on our minds for every waking second these days." I sigh, massaging my temples. Okay, it's not all that's been on my mind... but it's a pretty pressing matter, despite my thoughts.

"Exactly we better enjoy the few weekends left," Yoonah groans. "Especially since they changed the schedule. Did you hear? The Friday and weekend is booked for rehearsing too..."

We all nod, and whining.

"Cheer up guys," Qian smiles fondly. "You know you will enjoy it when it's time. In fact, it's going too fast already. We're all gonna have to be back here, even on the weekend."

"Qian unnie," Seohyun says. "Aren't you busy that Saturday?"

Nobody covered or pulled her back this time, since I'm too far to reach. But everyone turns to Qian as she was asked, and we all know we're curious. No one was sure whether to ask or not. You see, on Saturday it will be officially a year since Changmin left... But more importantly - if he sticks to his word - the day he returns. All of us admittedly seemed to have adopted the bury our heads in the sand approach. But I'm sure Qian's been thinking about it.

Still, her smile doesn't falter.

"No, Seohyun, I'm not," we all stare at her and she sighs. "Guys, stop tip toeing around me. I know what Saturday is, trust me. But I can't halt my whole life. If he comes, he comes. I'll know."

We all nod, as she meets each of our eyes and she speaks, reassuring us steadily. I send her a smile as she meets my gaze, to support her regardlessly. Even when I know it effects her, I haven't seen that girl lose her composure since he left.

"But unnie, I wasn-"

"I know," Qian grins at Seohyun. She was no way tip-toeing around her, but that's just Seo-baby. I don't think she knows how to...

"So, enough about my love life, how are things going with the guys?" she asks, addressing us all, but locking eyes with me for just seconds. She's definitely gonna want to speak in private, that's if I don't announce it to the whole group. Which isn't likely.

Ah my love life.

I'm glad when Yoonah's voice immediately takes Qian's question as an invitation, interrupting my thoughts before I can get too deep. Again.

"Well, Taec-"

"Guys, I think we can agree we've heard a load about Yoonah's love life," Chaerin smirks. "I sure have."

"Oops," Yoonah giggles.

Most of the girls shoot Chaerin a look, whilst she just grins, examining her finger nails again.

"Okay, since you seem eager to talk," Qian smiles. "Tell us about Jun-ah."

This should be interesting...

She instantly rolls her eyes. "Why do you lot call him that? He is not a friend!"

"He is," Qian smiles. "He's a nice guy, we're all friends."

"Perhaps not to you..."

"Definitely not."

"I'd imagine he's more," Seohyun finishes, her gaze on Chaerin.

"YAH, YOU-"

"GUYS!"

Theres a series of yells and scuffles, even scream, before we manage to get Chaerin back in her seat. I manage to grab an arm, and Yoonah the other, giggling all the way,  whilst Qian stood between Chae and Seo with an eyebrow raised. As soon as she saw the expression, Chaerin allows herself to be ushered back. Seohyun just watches all the while, again blissfully ignorant.

"Are you okay unnie?" she asks with concern as we slowly resume our places, after securing her.

"Sure, sure," she mutters, turning her scowl to the floor. I can't help but laugh.

"... So," I interrupt the silence, wondering if I will regret asking. "Did practise at least go well last Friday?"

Yoonah frowns. "Hey unnie, what did happen last week? You didn't come out, so me and Hyunnie went home."

Our eyes all snap to Chaerin, who fidgets nervously, and we're all thinking the same: she stayed extra with Minjun? And hasn't even complained to us about what a hassel it was?

So did that mean they went out together?

"Unnie! What did you do? I didn't see you at school and I stayed till the kicked me out," Jieun adds, beating me to it.

"... Uh yeah, about that," she clears . "We kinda... just went to grab a bite to eat..."

...

"A bite to eat means a meal. A meal means a date. YOU WENT ON A DATE WITH MINJUN?!" Yoonah summarises with a squeal, wideneing her eyes.

"NO, IT-"

"OH MY GOSH UNNIE, HOW COULD YOU KEEP THIS FROM ME?" she interrupts.

"I SAI-"

"YOU DATED!" Yoonah says again, providing a path for everyone else to start.

"Wait, what?" I ask, shocked.

"No-"

"Are you saying you went out for a meal with Jun oppa?"

"I-"

"In a fancy restaurant right? He paid, yeah?"

"No! Wait-"

"Did you stay out? Did he kiss you?"

"EW-"

"I told you she loved him!"

"WHA-"

"Girls calm down," Qian raises her voice over the noise, and we all quiet down. "Look, does she look like she went on a date with him?"

We all look at a now seething Chaerin, staring at us in annoyance from her seat.

"Fi-nal-ly," she growls. "Thank you Qian."

Qian chuckles, simply nodding.

"I went out to get something to eat, because he wouldn't let the practise finish, and I was hungry. So we got a bit of junk and viola, that's our so called 'date'."

We all stared at her.

"Well... the version I thought was better," Yoonah says helpfully, flicking her hair.

"Agreed," I grin at her, giggling at Chaerin's face.

We've all calmed down again, before Jieun speaks.

"But, unnie, the music room was closed an extra half an hour early yesterday..." Jieun says, like she's unsure of whether she should be sharing this information.

"... WHAT?"

"OKAY, BEFORE YOU ALL GO OFF AGAIN, WE SAT ON THE ROOFTOP OKAY?! THAT'S ALL! NO SECRET HIDEOUT OF ROMANTIC DATE, WE JUST SAT ON THE ROOF."

There's another moment of silence.

"So romantic. Aw, unnie, you guys are so cute," Yoonah grins, pinching Chae's cheeks. Or rather, pretending to do so, as she sits a safe metre away from her. I would not want to see Chaerin's reaction if she really did.

"Any way!" Qian interrupts, sensing the war path. "Anyone got anything else to share?"

I see her stare flicker to Yoonah and back, and wonder what it was about.

"Well... I," Jieun says. "I miss Wooyoung."

A series of 'aw's errupt, resulting in a very rosey cheeked maknae.

"Cute," Even Chaerin agrees for once.

"U-unnies," she stutters in embarassment. "It's just that, we've been so busy, I've hardly seen him all week. Just in the corridors and dropping me off, not as much now, especially as he's been practising a lot."

"I agree," Seohyun nods. "We haven't seen him a lot lately, not even coming to see Jieun practise. Then again, I've been with Chansung and Taecyeon oppa most of that time."

Ignoring the last part, we all murmur in agreement.

"We haven't seen much of any of the boys," Qian nods.

I'm just frozen silently. I can't see I have seen a lot of them too, but that may have something to do with the fact I'm avoinding a certain member of their group, therefore ignoring all of them too. 

"We should have lunch with them today!" Yoonah suggets, her eyes shining. My head snaps up from examining the concrete, to note the situation. I don't think this would be the best method of avoiding him. Not at all.

"That's a nice idea," Jieun agrees with a smile, and Qian nods thoughtfully.

"It wouldn't be so bad to see Chansung again," Seohyun adds, earning a lengthly stare from all of us. "What?"

"Nothing," Qian grins, turning away. "What do you think Chaerin?"

I quickly shift my gaze to her, sure she'll at least speak against the idea of seeing Minjun. 

There's no way she'd agree to the idea. Right?

"I wouldn't mind," she shrugs, acting nonchalant, though it does't really work. "I mean, I'd hate to see Minjun again, but I wouldn't mind talking to Taecyeon. I haven't seen him since that lunch."

My mouth hangs open.

Wrong.

"And you Soeun?"

Suddenly, all eyes are on me and I jolt.

Now, I can either make up some excuse, and be the only one who says no, or just agree and risk it.

"I think it's a great idea," I smile trying to seem genuine.

"Then it's settled. We'll all meet back here to eat. I'll let the guys know, since I have dance with Nichkhun before lunch," Qian smiles.

Yeah, even our day off isn't really a day off. We have only one lesson of performing arts today though, so I guess that's okay. Don't get me wrong, I love theatre, but it's proving to be a little tiring.

"Lunch it is," I smile, my insides lurching. "It'll be... interesting."

* * *

"So, what's going on with Junho," Qian asks, wasting no time as we make our way to first class.

"Nothing," I say, turning my honest gaze to her. "Literally. Nothing."

"So you stuck with the decision?"

I had told her as soon as it had been final, and she seemed... well, I couldn't tell, but she was glad  had a decision.

"Yeah... I'm keeping our relationship as friends. No more, no less," I shrug, though my feelings are far from relaxed.

"How is it?"

"... It's hard," I admit. "I've ended up just avoiding him..."

"I noticed..." Qian turns her gaze up ahead as she sighs. "It is going to be hard. The way you feel for him, it's difficult to bury it all. Especially because of how you've developed your friendship. It's safe to say you're naturally intimate around each other."

I sigh. "That obvious, huh?"

She smiles. "To me.  Your relationship was flirty, without making an effort to be, but that's not all. The way you act so comfortably around him is different.  You probably don't notice, since you're part of the scene, but you're both very touchy-feely. Whenever he's with you, he's attached to you naturally."

"Really?" I ask, my eyes bulging. I mean, sure I know we speak teasingly, but that's just him. I may respond, because I'm not one to be blushin over simple words, so I guess we do flirt without meaning to. At least that's how it would seem. But the intimacy? Are we really that far already?

"Yes, really," Qian smiles fondly. "You're always subconsciously intimate - it doesn't have to be massively, but standing close and touching - and you don't react adversely. You're used to it, comfortable with it. I've seen him with his arms round your waist on more than a few occasions, or your hands finding each others, even slipping his arm around you. You don't realise half the time because you act natural."

Because it feels natural...

"Oh..." I sigh. Now that she say it, I can recall more than a couple of times we've been close. We've kissed for heavens sake... but his proximity has always affected my ability to think straight, not matter how long it's been.

I don't say this aloud, for obvious reasons, though I'm sure she sees all she needs to on my face.

"Like I said, it'll be hard," she gains my attention. "You're relationship is built on suggestions and implications, too playful to be simple. You flirt. Both taking pleasure in it too. If you take it away, or try to stop it, I'm not sure what you'll have left, if there is any thing even,  as friends. It's not a relationship, and it's not a friendship. It's somewhere in the middle."

I process her words, wondering what will become of this all.

It's not like it was ever up to me any way. There was even a choice to begin with. Junho is who he is, and he's not changing that any time soon. That's just the way things are.

But like I said, I'm an over thinker. So if all that's true, why do I feel like I'm making a real decision, one where there are options and choices, and I'm chosing the wrong one?

* * * *

 

Nobody's POV

Soeun crossed her arms, as she waited by the door impatiently for Yoonah to get herself over here. Their theatre class had finished five minutes ago, and despite not wantring to admit it to herself, she desperately wanted to get to lunch already.

I'm just hungry... She reasoned, with no one but herself. 

Yeah that's it. It's not like I'm excited to see a certain boy prone to eye smiles which make my heart flutter...

Yoonah was still standing near the benches, as she 'fixed' her hair with a hand held mirror. Her eyes flickered to Soeun.

"You know, this would be a lot quicker if I didn't have to have my other hand occupied with holding up the mirror," she hinted loudly, sighing with a pout. 

"You and your aegyo," Soeun

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter