The Past

You're the ONE
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
"The Past"

Nichkhun's POV

"... Changmin's elder brother." Qian finishes, turning to face me as Yunho withdraws his hand.

"Brother?" I ask, raising an eyebrow at both of them. The words trigger an old memory. Yes, I do remember him having a brother, now that I come to think of it. In fact, he was part of the whole legendary group. That explains why everyone was so taken by him. They definitely remember him.

I knew this, because him and his friends sort of owned the school. Everyone was scared of them, if I remember correctly. Not that they did anything, they just kept in their group, the only other people around them being their girlfriends. No one dared to question them. They were pretty badass and not annoyingly unable to stand either. They were okay.

Jaejoong, Yoochun, Junsu, Changmin... and Yunho

All from distinguished families.

All gone, around the time Changmin left.

"Yeah, brother," she sighs, breaking me out of my thoughts. "Yunho has always treated me like a sister, and I'm glad that hasn't changed," she says, now directing her words to Yunho with a smile.

Like a sister. Like a sister. 

All previous thoughts felt invalid, and I chide myself for letting it get that far.

"Aw, come here lil sis," he chuckles, pulling her into another hug. "Well, you were dating our Changmin for over a year, how could anyone break that? Why would anything change?" 

"Um... Changmin, he-" 

"Yeah," he interrupted. "But it's not like you broke up, is it? And he was the one being stupid. Hopefully everything will be back to normal soon."

Back to normal soon. 

Changmin would come back, and it would be back to usual.

Fantastic.

"Have you heard from him?" she asks, her eyes shining. 

Calm Nichkun.

I knew about her feelings, and I accepted her that way. I can't expect her to be over him. They dated for over a year, as Mr helpful over there mentioned.

"Ah, no."

Her face fell.

"I'm sorry sis. Family and I aren't on such good terms, you know, with the whole 'eldest child get a proper education and be a professional' thing. I haven't even seen them since they left a year ago. Changmin and I keep in touch, we've both just been really busy recently."

I watch her face fall even more so, a suffocating feeling falling over me. I don't want to be affected by this news, and I honestly wouldn't be. This news doesn't make me sad. However, seems I can't make myself feel relief either. Qian's crestfallen expression makes me feel just as awful. I can't take joy in something that makes her so miserable.

This is why Changmin will be such an issue if he comes back. She will have to make a choice, of course. The only thing is, I'm not sure I could fight it if she's happy with him. That's if I'd even have the will to fight. I know its sounds like a typical cliche sad story, but I'm starting to sympathise with the poor sops of unrequited love. As much as I want her by my side, I can't let her be unhappy. And some where along the line, her happiness became my priority. Nothing and no one could stop me from fighting for her.

With the exception of her.

If she was happy, if she chose him, I'm not sure I could bring myself to stop it. If he would make her happy, then I couldn't take that from her. Qian's not a child, she knows what's best for her, and she will make the right decision for herself. I can't use the excuse for knowing what's best for her. There is a strong probabilty she'll choose him.

So I should give in right? Sounds hopeless... but it's not. Because I know she holds feelings for me. I can see it, just as she can see mutual feelings in my eyes.

Its been here for a long time. I regret not taking it up ealier. That spark, that look in her eyes. It's all there.

But will it be enough in the end?

* * * *

Qian's POV

"... we've both just been really busy recently..."

I nod, absorbing his words. I knew about there tricky relationship. Whereas, the two of them got on very well, a great brotherly relationship, Mr and Mrs Shim weren't the same case. Changmin was the younger child, being allowed wing room to pretty much do as he pleased. Two sons, but only one responsible one needed. They let Changmin do as he wished mostly, but Yunho was a different case. Whereas Changmin would be allowed to cruize through life, never having to even work if he didn't want to, Yunho had responsibilities. They had allowed Yunho to go to a performing arts school, but had wanted him to take over family and business responsibilities as soon as he finished. Once Mr Shim wasn't able to work any more, Yunho would take charge. The only thing is, Yunho isn't a mindless drone. He had dreams and aspirations of his own, and he is strong willed. And Changmin fully supported him.

The family had a falling out. As soon as he had gone on to study dance in university, he had moved out. Changmin had moved with him the last I knew. Well not exactly gone, since our school was merged with a university. He was just down the road. I think his parents very much regretted loosing a son like him, but what could be done? Neither side had tried to patch things up. Changmin had decided to take over responsibilities, but he was fine with it. Nobody had asked him before, but he had been fond of the idea, as his talents were more of a hobby, whereas Yunho's dancing was a passion. One he took very seriously. So the two brothers maintained their relationship. It was as Changmins first year studying music ended that he moved. He went to America, having finished his performing arts studies early, in order to study for business. 

I would be like that too, as my family owns a global business which is thriving, in more then just one sub unit. It was more distinguished then even Changmin's families, and I remember having to go to posh diners and dances as a child. We were more respected and honoured though, as my family is huge, and stretches back generations. The business had been founded by our family, and passed down for many years.

However, my family business was owned by the whole of our family. There were hundreds of people eligible to take over the business, each part of the family having an equal say. We owned it as a whole family, rather than just one branch of us. We were all in charge, the actual title of CEO meant little. Thank god I won't have to be doing anything like that. 

For the Shim family, Changmins father had the most power. It wasn't a whole family thing, it was something he had achieved, not passed down for generations like mine. Changmin's family owned the major company, Shim's incorporated, which owned a world wide chain of super markets. He would be expected to take the position of CEO when accountable. Though of course, he was still way too young, and stiill is, so the business is fine in the hands of his father. The training in America was just preparation for years to come.

His friends, Jaejoong, Junsu and Yoochun, all had the same responsibility. They all came from central families too, only they were the only ones able, being first born siblings. They were always going to go to study in America after they spent enough time messing around. It was set in stone, and they had no issue with it. I always wondered why they let them study at an arts school in the first place if that was their plan, but I guess that when you have your work and life already set out and handed to you, you can do what you want until its time to work. It's not like it would be taken away, or they had to earn it. It was already there, awaiting when they were mature enough to take it into their hands. So until the time came, their interest could be explored. I guess it could be described as free time, leisure before the true work. 

But they still had to have some form of knowledge about the world of business and ownership. So after their studies were finished, off they went to study. I guess Changmin would have left no matter the situation, but I know we would have kept contact and a relationship until he returned. But long distance relationships are hard work, and he would be busy. Maybe it was better it paused as it did.

I blink as Yunho calls me, bringing me out of my thoughts.

"Qian? Are you okay?" he asks worriedly. I blink a few times, dispersing the memories before turning to him.

"Yes," I smile. "It's a pleasant surprise to see you though Yunho, I have missed you." It's true. If I hadn't stumbled across Yunho today, nothing would have changed, it would just be another day without Changmin. The fact that he brought no news meant nothing, everything was still in place. Apart from the fact that now a close friend from the past has returned for a while. I should be smiling. It just assures me further that everything is still very much real, the world still moving around us.

It changes nothing.

"Aw, I missed you too," he grins, hugging me again. I smile in his embrace. I got to admit, it is very reassuring being here, calming even. A safe haven. I've always longed for siblings, but really I should be grateful. I may not have blood related ones, but look what brilliant friends I have instead. These people are here because they choose and want to be. Not because were forcibly and unavoidably bonded through blood, but because the bond is voluntary. And in some ways, that's a lot better.

I finally pull back, a sincere smile dressing my features. 

"So, we have a load to catch up on... got a minute or two?" he asks, and I sense the change in atmosphere. Time to open up about this last year. I already know he's curious about Nichkhun, though he trusts me. My eyes flash to Nichkhun to see his reaction. But there's nothing to see. His brow is furrowed, and he seems deep on thought. I quickly look back to Yunho with a smile.

"Of course," I nod.

We have lucnh next, and plans will have to wait, but as we begin toward toward the seats Nichkhun does not follow us. 

"Qian," he says, claiming my attention. "You stay, and I'll go and change. I'll see you with the others later, right?" he asks, referring to our earlier made plans with the others.

"You don't have to leave," I say, frowning at the thought. 

"It's fine, you should catch up," he smiles reassuringly, as I search his expression. He waits, knowing full well what I'm doing. But I don't find anything other than courtesy and manners. I haven't offended him, but he seems to have his mind else where. He is pre-occupied. And he can see we have a lot to talk about.

I eventually nod, returning his smile. "I'll be there soon. Tell tell the others I'll be a minute."

He nods, shooting me one last smile, before exiting.

I sigh, turning back to Yunho, who was apparently watching the scene, his eyebrow raised.

"Hm, starting to see why Changmin got a bit up tight. I wouldn't be to happy about the amount of admirers you have either."

I shake my head, grinning at his tone. Little does he know, he's not far off.

"He's a close friend, not a love sick puppy," I try to laugh it off.

"Ha ha," he chuckles, as we both take a seat. "So tell me Qian, how's life?"

I let out a some-what bitter chuckle. What a question.

"Where do I start?"

"Hm... how about friends?" he smiles. 

"Then you should start. My friends are all here, but I haven't heard from the others since- well for almost a year," I say, avoiding saying his name again. I want to be happy to see Yunho right now. "How are they?"

"Oh, my friends," he sighs dramatically, and I giggle. 

He was part of Changmin's circle of friends, so to speak, but just outside of school, because of the . They weren't the same age regardless, all of them being either a year here or there. Yunho and Jaejoong were the same age, Junsu one year older than Changmin, and Yoochun the same age as Changmin. But they all hung out together. They could be described as a wealthy version of a gang, I guess, but more of a feared-sue-to-respect one. They just held a sense of authority and leadership, Yunho being the head of the group. They didn't do anything wrong, but they were all from prestigious families, respected families, powerful families. And like us, they didn't feel the need to flaunt it like some people.

"I was just with Jaejoong. We're still tight as ever, in fact were flat mates here in Seoul.  For now, were staying here, in our apartment. Like me he works indepedently, but as singer-s

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter