Characterisation

You're the ONE
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
"Characterisation"

Yoonah's POV

"...and he's a total douche!" Chaerin finishes. I giggle at her. 

"Douche, hey? Just a second ago you were talking about his amazing music skills," 

"NO I WAS NOT! I was just noting his natural ability and comfort within music," she sighed back at me. "At least I won't have to do all the work on composing. I can tell he's good and I heard he already composed..." she rattles on again, but I'm only half listening. It's the end of school and Chaerin and I are waiting outside the school for the others.

She has just been talking to me about her new music partner, Kim Minjun... the leader of the 'gentleman'. Coincidence or what? She told me about how, after they magically created the theme for their new song, they had begun to write out some structures. You know, when the melody would come in, the introduction length, if there were to be a rap. But I'm sure there will be, it is Chaerin after all. If I know her at all it'll be energetic and fiery, just like her. 

I too had been preparing for the showcase, as the theater class were preparing a musical. It was a story surrounding two teenage girls, sisters separated when they were infants. Soeun and I play the two main female roles. I'm over the moon about getting the part, it's exactly my thing. Even the description of the girl; a fashion enthusiast and outgoingly loud. Soeun's part also fits her: polite, but passionate. Just because she isn't the trouble maker, doesn't mean she can't deal with trouble. I'm so proud of Soeun for getting the other part, it's about time she started showing off to the world and doing her thing. 

"Sure, sure. You haven't stopped talking about him since I've been here, but I see how it is. Can't believe he tamed you so easily," I giggle when she pauses. That's kinda my role in the group. To be the metaphorical blonde. To be perfectly honest, I'm not that academically inclined, but that's mostly because I don't focus on it. I can't remember the last time I studied in my free time and, unlike Qian, I can't just naturally get high marks.

Chaerin rolls her eyes, but looks a little concerned. And I can see why. Just as I'm the blonde, she has her role in our group. Who would she be if not the untamable 'lady'? The loud, unruly front of our group? 

She can't lose her rep now. I smile at the thought.

"Where are the others?" Chaerin burst suddenly. "I wanna leave already!"

I smile again. That's another thing Chaerin's well known for. Her rapid mood swings. 

"Jieun and Wooyoung have probably escaped," I smile. Ah, love... isn't it wonderful. Well, that is up to when-

I cut my thoughts off. I don't need this right now.

"AH!" I shout, suddenly remembering something. "I have drama practice today, with Soeun!"

"Agh, you air head," Chaerin groans, playfully hitting my shoulder. "That's why she isn't here!"

"Yeah, sorry," I giggle. "Todays important, sir says we're trying something new!" 

"Crap, you better go. Lucky we haven't arranged to rehearse yet. And do you mean the musical? The one you and Soeun are leading?" I nod and she continues "Who's the main male?" she asks, wiggling her eyebrows suggestively. 

"Wae unnie?" I ask, confused. She roles her eyes and I get it. "Ohhh. And no unnie! It's not a romance, it's a tragedy! The girls are long lost sisters, but are seperated as infants when there mother dies, and father abandons them. It shows their separate lives and hunting for each other. One gets pulled into the wrong group of friends and becomes girlfriend to the leader of a gang. The other stays focused on school, with people like herself. It's all about their journey to adulthood, and when they meet again 10 years after, they see how much has changed and..." I continue explaining the plot, getting a bit too much into it. 

"Okay okay, I get it. Which character do you play? I'm guessing it's the gang leaders naive girlfriend?" she grins.

"Unnie! How did you know!!!"

She grins her eyes at my squeal.

"Well you better go, you're already late."

She's right, and I quickly gather myself, almost heading off, but I pause.

"Wait unnie... does my hair look okay?" I immediately grin at her face, nodding. "Okay, I'm gone! Byee," I wave quickly, heading the massive building. I can almost hear her rolling her eyes.

 

Nobody's POV

Yoonah paused in front of the door of the practise room, smoothing her hair and adjusting her clothes. She is Yoonah after all, she had to look good. Taking a deep breath, she walked into the room. The drama group had arranged to meet there every week, to get normal drama lessons in as well as practise.

She entered at the back, in the audience space, and quickly ran up to the stage. The other students were all gathered here.

"Oh, so you decided to grace us with your presence," Mr Lee smiled.

"Sorry Sir," she smiled, charmingly. Yoonah knew that the teacher wasn't actually angry, as she was one of his favourite students.  Mr Lee was a young teacher, and many of the girls in his class were attracted to him. Aside from Yoonah and Soeun. They simply saw him as a mentor, thinking of others as immature. Even Yoonah wasn't that much of an air head.

Mr Lee himself was a respectable man, full of morals. He laughed off the girls fascination, and never took it seriously. He saw all his students simply as youngers and he was the senior, teaching them all they needed to know. Everyone knew he had a steady girlfriend. Students were his pupils to him, nothing more.

Mr Lee tutted and motioned for her to sit down. The other students were sitting in a circle. Soeun smiled half heartedly at her, and shifted up in the circle, patting the space beside her. Yoonah held back a sigh.

She's been like this for weeks. Whatever is bothering her, should be bothering us all. We should all help.

She sat down beside Soeun, and shot her an assuring smile. She returned it, trying to be sincere. But it looked painful.

 Soeun sighed to herself, but Yoonah heard it. Now she really was concerned.

"Are you okay Soeun?" Yoonah blurted. Soeun turned to her, surprised that she was so blunt.

"Yes... I'm fine... Wae?" Soeun said, cautiously.

"I'm here if you need me. We're here to-"

"Okay, now we are all present," Mr Lee began, interrupting their conversation.

Yoonah shut up, getting the hint, whilst Soeun thanked the teacher silently for saving her. She didn't want to blurt out everything, not yet.

"I would like to talk more about the drama piece we have been preparing. Now, we know the scenes inside out. You all know your lines, and have rehearsed near to perfection. Now it's time to really explore the story line. More specifically, the characters," A few students murmured amongst themselves. "I want you all to explore your characters more. This way you will be able to easily portray the real emotion. If you feel the characters pain, you will show it more effectively. So lets

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter