The Double Date

The Olive Branch

"I support Yuri with this man who covered his entire face with a huge pair of sun glasses. End of story," Jessica declared in a monotone voice. Jaejoong turned around and began to crack up while Yesung put on a distressed look. The three were at a small fast-food diner, waiting for Yunho and Yuri to appear. They practiced on a script that Yuri sent them, but the message was practically useless in their situation.

"For your friend's sake, Jessica, please try your best when they come. I know you hate being around me, but can't you pretend that you appreciate my existence?" Yesung asked.

"I'll do that when I'm the last person on earth," she said.

"Don't you even care that your step-brother almost died in an accident a few months ago?" he questioned her.

"Don't you even care that your step-sisters were left alone with a large debt and all?" she retorted.

Jaejoong grinned. "Come on, guys. It's not going to be long until they come."

"You're just happy that Jessica's sitting next to you," Yesung snapped. Jaejoong blushed while Jessica gave him a strange gaze. He smirked and nodded his head. "Yeah, don't think that I know what you're motives are, you sneaky fish."

Jaejoong blinked his eyes and stopped smiling. "Fish? I think your bird brain came back again."

"Say that again, and you're dead meat--"

"Jessica! Jaejoong!" Yuri cried out. The three looked up and saw Yunho standing behind her. Seeing Yunho, Yesung widened his eyes in shock. He knew exactly who Yunho was, and he was sure that he would've been hated. Quickly, he adjusted his sunglasses and used a scarf to cover his lips.

"Hey guys," Yunho said, nodding his head at each of them. He turned to Yesung, unable to recognize the familiar man. "So you must be Jessica's boyfriend, yes?"

"W-Well," Yuri began quickly, "I kind of lied. You see, Jaejoong is here with Jessica, and I am dating Jessica's step-brother. Say hi to Yesung!"

Yunho froze and slowly stared at the man who was covered in black. "Ye...sung..."

She smiled. "Something wrong?"

He blinked his eyes, then laughed lightly. "No, no. For a second, he reminded me of BoA's boyfriend who died."

"Well, that's because he may be--"

Jessica put her hand over Jaejoong's loud mouth. "That's because he... has the same name as him! Or similar name? Who knows."

"But aren't you dating Jaejoong?" Yunho asked.

"We... broke up," Yuri said slowly.

"You broke up? Since when?"

"Since five minutes ago--"

Jessica jabbed Jaejoong's rib with her elbow. "He means five days ago. Yuri can't keep up a long relationship. Plus, I was against it."

"Figures," Yunho muttered.

"Why don't you sit down? Yuri, you should sit next to Yesung since you're his girlfriend," Jessica said sweetly. 

"Sure, sure," Yuri agreed, pulling Yunho next to her as she took her seat.

Suddenly, the atmosphere became awkward. Jaejoong was already in bliss since he was able to sit next to Jessica and pretend that they had a thing together, so he was oblivious of the awkwardness. Jessica didn't really bother to read the atmosphere, since she knew that there would be a bigger drama later. Unlike the two, Yesung was pressured and kept quiet so that he wouldn't be found out while Yuri and Yunho didn't dare to speak to each other.

"Hello! Welcome to our diner. Here's our menu. Can I get something for you to drink?" a waitress asked, pulling out a pencil and a notepad. She passed around five menus for each person.

"Water will be just fine for all of us," Jessica said, gazing through the menu.

Jaejoong raised his hand. "Actually, I wanted--"

She kicked his feet, causing him to let out a small "oof" and be silent.

"Great," the waitress said, not knowing what was going on. "Would you like to order now or...?"

"I'll have a salad," Jessica said.

"A burger for me," Jaejoong mumbled.

"Two of those for me!" Yuri added.

"I'll have that, too," Yunho said.

"I'm going to get a salad, too," Yesung replied. The waitress thanked them and walked away to get their drinks and food. As the five waited, silence was welcomed back to their conversation. Then, Jessica thought that she should start the conversation.

"So," she began, "I see that you came with Yuri. I'm curious; why?"

Yunho played with his fingers, then glanced up at her. "BoA's awake."

Yesung widened his eyes, but the rest couldn't see since he was wearing his glasses. "BoA's what?"

"She's awake."

"She's not dead?"

Yunho scrunched his eyebrow. "Wait a minute, how do you..."

Yuri let out a loud laugh. "Come on, guys! Let's just celebrate my new relationship--"

"No, stop," Yunho interrupted, narrowing his eyes. "Who are you?"

Jaejoong leaned close to Jessica and whispered, "I just realized something."

"What?" she asked curiously.

"I forgot to order fries with my burger."

He howled in pain when Jessica gave him an annoying pinch.

 

A beautiful long-haired girl looked outside the window from her bed. She was dressed in a loose uncomfortable fabric which made her want to wearing something else. She was quite youthful, but her looks didn't hide her age.

"BoA, it's time for your meal," a nurse said. She brought in a tray of soup: something simple and easy to digest. BoA stared down at her legs, which were soon covered by the tray. "Eat up."

"Are you sure you contacted him?" BoA asked.

"Yunho doesn't believe that you've awoken. Give him some time," the nurse told her.

"But that's not like him. He would always chase after me," she complained.

"I'm sure he's just as excited to meet you," the nurse assured her. "Why do you need to see him? Is he perhaps your boyfriend?"

"No, but I need to ask him how Yesung is doing. I'm sure that he's furious over him," BoA explained.

"Hmph. Is that all you want to say?"

The patient looked out the window. "No... No, there's so much more to say that I can't tell you."