The Same Story

The Olive Branch

Jaejoong gave Yuri an intense glare. She looked away, obvious trying to avoid eye-contact. Tuning a whistle, she looked through the racks to find her desired snack. When she realized that he wasn't giving up, she sighed and turned to face him.

"Okay, so I might've made up a story between Jessica and Yesung about being closer than siblings--"

"Damn right you did," he cursed, nodding his head while crossing his arms.

"--but you have to admit, you fell for it hard. It's funny, you know? I think it's pretty funny," she said, letting out a fake laugh. When she realized that Jaejoong wasn't falling for her tricks anymore, she heaved a sigh. "Okay, okay. I made you look like a complete full. Happy?"

"No. I demand an apologize," he requested, raising his chin.

"For what? Do I apologize on behalf of your ignorance and lack of research?" she glanced back at Jessica, who was listening to Yesung. "To be honest, I've never heard of him. When you asked me about her, I only assumed that this guy was her boyfriend or something. I never thought that he'd be her step-brother. It must've been a tough family."

"Yuri, are you even listening? I asked for an apology, not your opinion between their relationship," he said.

"Are you finally at ease because you figured on their relationship?" she asked. Then, in a low voice, she whispered, "Sure is lucky to know that the one you like doesn't have an ex, unlike mine."

"What? Did you say something?" he asked. Yuri forced a smile and shook her head. She watched him scowl at her, then go back to where Jessica was. She let out a giggle when she saw Jaejoong protectively step in front of her friend, giving Yesung an intimidating look. Yesung only grimaced, but it was hard to take him seriously with his bruised eye.

She sighed, then grabbed a random snack from the shelf. She rubbed her fingers against the plastic wraper while she was in deep thought.

Maybe I should give up Yunho. It's not like he's ever going to love me, she thought, knowing how painful her love was. She glanced at Yesung for a second. Who knows, he likes pretty nice. Yuri let out a groan. Oh, who am I kidding. He eloped with his girlfriend. 

She looked up at the light, holding back her tears. There's no love story for a girl like me, is there?

"What in the world are you doing there, Yuri?" Jaejoong hollered. "Jessica is about to explain the entire story about her and Yesung. Aren't you going to listen?"

She bit her bottom lip. "Don't... Don't you have work--"

"Nonsense. We'll start working once the manager gets here," he said, grabbing ahold of her wrist. He dragged her towards a small table, where Jessica and Yesung exchanged uncomfortable glances. When Jaejoong and Yuri took their seats, Yesung immediately began the story.

"Okay, so even though it seems like I'm the bad guy in this story, I'm not. When we were younger, my mother married Jessica's father. We got along well when we were younger, until we reached middle school. Well, I was in high school and Jessica was in middle school--"

Jessica decided to interrupt his story. "Then Yesung got himself a girl, decided that he was old enough to work, left school, and just walked away from our lives. Oh, and shall I add when you left? You left at my younger sister's birthday!"

"Jessica, your sister had a lot of parties. What was so special about this one--"

"What was special? What was special was that you were in charge of planning it, but you totally blew it off and left a little kid with no candles to blow, no friends to talk to, and no brother to thank. Fortunately, she had a reliable older sister who managed to buy her a loaf of bread and used some left over jam in the fridge," Jessica said, gritting her teeth.

"So... the party was good--"

"I'll kill you!" she screamed, reaching over to grab him. Jaejoong held her back and Yuri gasped. "I'll kill you and your girlfriend!"

"Calm down, Jessica!" Yesung shouted. "I was going to go back, anyway!"

"With your girlfriend? Ha! You--"

"No, without my girlfriend," he said. His voice suddenly got softer. "She kind of... disappeared."

Yuri frowned. "Disappeared? How?"

He kept quiet. Hearing the silence ticked Jessica off. She was just about to pounce on him again until Yesung raised his side bangs. There was a deep scar hiding behind the black hair. The step-sister lowered her fist and stared at the scar with amazement.

"I got into a motorcycle accident a few months ago. Actually, before that, I broke up with my girlfriend and followed a different girl who claimed to know you and would only tell me about your condition in exchange for dating her. I found out that she was lying, and broke up with her for my first girlfriend. We went to celebrate and took a ride on my new motorcycle but--"

"Wait a minute." Jaejoong let out a soft chuckle. "This sounds too much like BoA's story."

Yesung widened his eyes. "Bo... How do you know my dead girlfriend?"

"Dead? What? No, she's not dead. She's alive. Well, she's in coma--"

"Impossible," Yesung whispered. "My friends told me that she died in the accident! She can't be alive. They said that she had no chance of living."

"Describe your girlfriend," Yuri insisted.

He grimaced. "She... She was really pretty, and loved dancing. She was part of this crew, and I'd go occasionally to pick her up. Then--"

"Dancing? The motorcycle story? This is a lot like BoA's incident." said Jaejoong. "The thing is, her boyfriend passed away."

Yuri paled and trembled. "No, Jaejoong. BoA's and Yesung's story are the same. They were just told different ending."

Jessica, not willing to be on the same page as the rest, stood up on her chair. "Story or not, you left my family, Yesung! And on behalf of my family, I will kill you and choke you to my heart's content!"

For the rest of the day, as Yuri and Yesung exchanged contact number, Jaejoong held Jessica back from strangling the poor step-brother. Though Jaejoong didn't complain.

He liked hugging Jessica's waist when pulling her away from Yesung.

 

At the hospital, Yunho sat still and stared at the doctor. The doctor gave him a fond smile and folded his hand. Despite the doctor's smile and their position, Yunho couldn't believe what he heard.

"Are... Are you serious? BoA woke up?" he asked, too shocked.

"Yes! She woke up a few hours ago. Her memories seem fine, and she'll be physically fit in no time. However, we did break the news to her that she will never be able to walk again. We'll be giving her some therapy, then she'll be discharged in no time," the doctor reported confidently. He leaned close to Yunho, who was still stunned from the news. "If anyone asked, I believe you were the first person she called for."

Yunho was happy, but not happy enough for his heart to skip a beat. She called his name. Not her boyfriend, but his name. So why wasn't his heart beating or his cheeks heating?

"Would you like to see her?"

A question that would be answered without a doubtful "yes." Hence, would.

Yunho pressed his lips. "May I... May I see her tomorrow? With my friends? I... I don't feel prepared. I brought nothing with me."

The man in white only smiled. "Yes, yes. I'll tell her that you'll see her tomorrow."

Yunho gave him a small boy, then left the office. He stared back at the long hallway, and tilted his head.

I want to see her, Yunho thought, trying to convince his heart. I want to see how she's doing. I want to see her smile, and I want to see her laugh. I want to see her cry, and I want to be there to comfort her.

But his heart comfortable told him, Let's see her tomorrow... with Yuri.