The Bird Brain

The Olive Branch

At that moment, Yunho swore that he had enough courage to turn around and walk away from the police station. However, seeing his friend's pitiful face and Jessica (who was next to him with Yuri) judge him, he had no choice but to march straight into the station with his head up. Once he stepped inside, a familiar officer didn't even bother to look up. He just tapped on the table, gesturing Yunho and his friends to sit down on a chair.

"As usual," the officer said, once the three took their seats, "Jaejoong got into a fight. He was fighting with a group of guys, and behind a convenience store. Fortunately, they didn't cause a public disturbance, but they did manage to mess some of the manager's inventory. The manager is requesting them to at least help out at the store for the next few days."

"Sir, I don't think this is a good idea. Jaejoong can't work. He's lazy and he probably wouldn't do much," Yunho said, trying to convince the policeman.

"He only wants them to help, or else he's planning--"

"Oh, he'll work," Jessica blurted, stepping in. "How long and how many days?"

The officer stared at her for a second. "You look familiar."

She slightly blushed. "W-Well, I was the girl who wasn't part of one of Jaejoong's fight, but was accused of."

"I see, I see. Well, young lady, the manager is asking for a week of help, starting from nine to midnight."

"Three hours only? For a week? Woah, he's a nice manager, isn't he?" Yuri asked, surprised.

"Well, the entire gang is also helping out, so he's not asking for so much. Now, can one of you follow me?" the officer asked, getting up. He took out the keys to the iron bars and walked over to where several boys sat down in a slump. Yunho was about to go, but Jessica offered to go instead. As she got up and followed the officer, it took her only seconds to find where Jaejoong was standing: at the corner, standing up with a tense expression on his face. When he looked up, he was shocked to see the blond with the officer.

"W-Where's Yunho?" Jaejoong stuttered, embarrassed.

"Over there with Yuri. I can't believe you got into another fight! Seriously, what were you thinking?" she asked, shaking her head.

"I...I--"

"Jessica, is that you?"

Jaejoong and Jessica looked up to the leader of the gang. Jaejoong frowned, while Jessica looked surprised. Yesung stepped forward, brushed his long, messy bangs to the side. His right eye was swollen, and the corner of his lips were bruised. He looked terrible, but he kept smiling at the fellow lady.

"Ah... Yeah, it's me. Nice to see you, Yesung. I can't believe that you were here all along," she muttered coldly. She turned her attention away from Yesung. "Come on, Jaejong. Let's go--"

"Wait!" Yesung exclaimed. Jaejoong was just about to step out of the cell, but Yesung had pulled him back so that Jessica would stay just a few more minutes. "How is everyone?"

"Fine without you," Jessica said, not bothering to look up.

"Are you still mad?"

"Why wouldn't I be?"

"Look, Jessica. I want to talk to you and give you more details about what happened back there. Can you give me your number or something--"

"Shut it, Yesung. I told you to stay away from me and my family," Jessica interrupted sharply. She clenched her teeth and tugged Jaejoong closer to her. Seeing this as a signal to get out faster, Jaejoong managed to escape Yesung's grip and walked over to her side. He gave the two a curious glance, but the officer closed the cell and dragged both of them back to where Yunho and Yuri was.

After the four got out (it took a while since Yunho had to sign some papers), Jaejoong slowed down and pulled on Yuri's shirt. She turned around and was about to tell others, but he gently put his hand over . She gave him a look of confusion, but he didn't say a word until Jessica and Yunho were far enough.

"You were with Jessica for a long time, right?" Jaejoong asked.

"Not exactly, but I do know about her experiences in America. Why?"

"Do you know... Do you know a guy named Yesung, by any chance?"

Yuri paused. "Oh, him. Yeah, I know him."

"What's Jessica's relationship with him?" Jaejoong stepped in front of Yuri's path. She gave him an odd look.

"Um, it's kind of complicated. It's kind of like those little drama moments," she said. When she saw Jaejoong's anxious look, she finally gave in a sighed.

"Yesung was Krystal's, Jessica's younger sister, boyfriend. Actually, Krystal was in elementary and had a crush on Yesung, who was, like, ten years older than her. She claimed that Yesung was hers, and Jessica respected that. Though Yesung favored Jessica more, and..."

"And?"

"Mm... Let me just say that things get more complicated from there." With that, Yuri scurried over to Jessica's side in order to avoid the question. Jaejoong, obviously annoyed and curious, gritted his teeth and messed up his hair.

Curse you, Yuri! he yelled in his mind.

 

The night fell and a new week at started. Fortunately for most students, they had arrived at Sunday and didn't have to go to school. In addition, school would be over in just one week, and they would hit off to break. However, that meant studying and working hard, with eating little and little social business.

Yuri, Yunho, and Jaejoong were lucky. Their exams were easy, as they had attended a school with a middle to low rank. Although they studied, they didn't have to study as much as Jessica, who attended one of the important schools around the neighborhood.

Yuri spent most of her time at the dance room, trying to avoid Jessica's little private time. She was often pampered by Yunho, who told her to eat meat and almost only meat (she could never understand why he wanted to feed her; she wanted to lose weight). Jaejoong, bored and curious of how Jessica was, also came to the dance room to ask Yuri or Donghae about her. (This practically annoyed Yunho, who didn't want Jaejoong in his little private space.)

One day, as Jaejoong was finishing up Yunho's homework, Yuri took a seat next to him. She was covered in her own sweat, and Jaejoong scrunched his nose.

"Why are you sitting here? Shouldn't you be dancing?" he asked.

"I don't know. Yunho said that I was sweating too much, asked if I was sick, and told me to sit here. Honestly, I don't understand what got into him," she replied with a hint of annoyance.

"That's Yunho," Jaejoong responded, writing down the last answer. "He's a strange kid."

"No kidding." Yuri let out a soft laugh. "So... How's your part-time job?"

"Part-time? I don't even consider it as a part-time job. I consider it as abuse. Those boxes are pretty heavy, especially the ones that carry the drinks."

"Mhm. How about the people over there? The guys you're working with?"

"Apparently, the manager gave everyone different times to help. I'm sharing a time with this one guy, and I hate him already."

"Who?"

"Yesung. He's annoying, and he chases the customers away," Jaejoong muttered, putting away the packet. Yuri pressed her lips and watched him gather his own belongings. She tapped on her lips, then widened her eyes as if she had a great idea.

"Hey!" she exclaimed. "Why don't I bring Jessica tomorrow at work? I think she has some free time, and there's a possibility that I can convince her to come and buy something to eat."

Jaejoong groaned. "How is that going to help me?"

"She can distract Yesung and give you some alone time?"

There was a pause. Yesung and Jessica? Again? Would that be okay with Jessica? Would she be okay talking to another man; someone she especially dislikes? Or was it just Jaejoong who didn't like seeing Yesung near Jessica?

"Rather than Jessiac distracting Yesung, can't you come and--"

But before he got to finish, Yuri was already back up on her feet.

 

The afternoon quickly resumed to the night. Jaejoong wiped off the snow on his head, and shivered while trying to warm his numbed fingers. After being stuck in the snow for a couple of hours, he finally managed to arrive at the convenience store...twenty minutes late.

Fortunately, the manager, too, had not arrived from a late errand. Jaejoong swiftly pulled out his coat and hung it his temporary locker. He grabbed the green apron and slipped in on. When he went outside, his stiffened as his eyes landed on the other employee. Yesung looked up, then scoffed. His lips were almost healed, but the bruise on his eye was still visible.

"I told you," Jaejoong said, giving the older boy a glare, "you should seriously cover that up or something. People think you're part of the mafia or something."

"Mind your own business. It's my eye," Yesung snapped back.

"You're right. My suggestion sounds stupid to that bird brain of yours."

"I ain't afraid to fight right now."

"Who would've known that bird brain isn't afraid to fight in public! The last time I checked, we fought behind buildings, out of the public."

"You seriously want to die?"

"Your feeble wings won't do anything to me."

"Well, this little bird has some sharp talons that can rip you apart like a fish!"

"That fish is probably dead, already!"

"You--"

"Wow, you two are so mature," a high voice said sarcastically. Jaejoong gasped, knowing exactly who that voice belonged to. The two boys looked up and saw Jessica casually looking through the bag of snacks. She was pale and thin, and there was a dark, purple curve under her eyes. The poor girl looked exhausted, but somehow refreshed after coming outside.

Jaejoong's face turned bright red. "I can't believe you actually c-came..."

"Yuri's here, too. She's stuck in the car, saying that she needs to get something. I'm just going to grab some snacks and drinks. After that, I'll be leaving right away. I need to go back and study."

He pouted. Why was she leaving so soon? From the tone of her voice, it seemed as if she was trying to keep her distance from him.

"I-I understand. You must be stressed out, right?" he asked.

"Of course!" Jessica exclaimed, grabbing two bags of chips and shoving them in the basket. "I got the exams to worry about, and my parents are sending my younger sister over since she's already on vacation. It's such a terrible combination, considering how she needs attention every single minute, and I need to use my time on studying."

"Krystal's coming?" Yesung asked, widening his eyes.

Jessica dropped a sandwich and stared at Yesung. "Oh yeah. There's also you in my worry list. I have to do everything to make sure that you don't meet my sister, or that she never sees me associating with you. This is going to be such a headache--"

"Jessica, let me talk to Krystal and you. You both have to understand what happened--"

"No one needs to understand what happened." Jessica hissed at him. "No one needs to understand simply because there is nothing to understand. What's done is done, and that's all."

"Yeah, what's done is done. You might've had a relationship before, but not anymore," Jaejoong agreed, thinking of what Yuri had told him.

"We still have a relationship," Yesung protested.

"No you don't. After you broke Krystal's heart, how do you expect for Jessica to still like you?"

Yesung groaned. "I'm serious, I didn't mean to--"

"Just because you favored Jessica more than Krystal, you didn't need to break their relationship--"

Jessica frowned. "Wait, what?"

"I mean, cheating on someone is terrible! No one wants to be cheated--"

"Jaejoong, I--"

"Who knows, maybe the person you cheated on doesn't want to love you anymore. Maybe they want to move on and have a new affair--"

"Jaejoong!" Jessica exclaimed, snapping her fingers in front of his face. He stepped back a bit, startled from the sudden sound. "We don't have that kind of relationship!"

"What are you talking about? I heard everything from Yuri!"

As if on cue, Yuri stepped into the store. She pulled back her waterproof hood and shivered.

"Man, it's cold outside!" she said, quickly running over to buy something warm to eat.

"Kwon Yuri," Jessica called. Yuri froze on her tracks, knowing that she was in trouble. "What did you tell Jaejoong about my relationship with Yesung?"

Yuri paused. "Um... Nothing...?"

The blond heaved a sigh. "Listen, Jaejoong. Yesung and I aren't in an exclusive relationship, nor did he have a relationship with my younger sister."

It took a while for Jaejoong to tell where this was going. "Wait... Huh?"

"Yesung... He's my good-for-nothing step-brother who eloped with his girlfriend after handing us his debt."