The Awkwardness

The Olive Branch

"I'm so sorry that I'm late!" Jaejoong apologized, panting. Earlier, he stopped by at a flower shop to purchase a few roses. Unfortunately, they had ran out of roses, and he had ordered something a little more meaningful instead: a bouquet of violets. He was going to pull the plant out, until he looked up and realized that Jessica was not there. He frowned, and glanced at the clock.

I'm thirty minutes late, he thought. He pulled out his phone. Did she leave already? Darn it! This is all my fault!

"Jaejoong?" He turned around, and found Jessica staring at him with a surprised look. "You came?"

"Uh, yeah," he said, hiding the flowers behind his back. "Sorry that I'm late. I just had to stop by somewhere real quick..."

"Oh, I see," she replied, nodding her hand as if she understood his situation. She forced a smile. "So, what are we going to do?"

It had never occurred to Jaejoong where he would begin. He knew that in the middle of the date, they would sit down somewhere and eat the picnic he had made, but now that he had the time to think, it was too cold to eat outside. He bit his bottom lip and looked around.

"Um... Oh! I heard that there's an lake around here. It froze pretty well, and a lot of people are skating over there. It's a popular attraction," Jaejoong said. He managed to slip in the flowers inside the picnic basket. "Should we go there?"

"I guess. I haven't skated, though, so I'll need some help," she replied, walking right past him.

"Oh, okay! Sure, I can definitely help! I can help you with skating like I'm a pro," he exclaimed, chuckling weakly.

Truth to be told, he had no idea how to skate.

 

Yunho paused and blinked his eyes. He was sitting inside a small café with a cup of tea, only to realize that Yuri was sitting two tables in front of him. It surprised him because it was the exact same seat BoA was in on the day she had coma.

Is she meeting someone? he wondered, occasionally glancing at her. He diverted his attention away when he saw a couple of waiters stare at him with suspicion. However, one waitress, who had recognized him from before, walked over to Yunho and served him a free cheesecake. When he looked up say that he didn't order any snacks, the waitress gave him a wink.

"It's on the house," she said. "My special."

"Thanks..." It took Yunho a moment to remember her name. "...Taeyeon. Thank you very much for the snack. However, I'd prefer it if you took this away. I can't eat cheesecake right now."

"Because of the woman who sat there a few months ago?" Taeyeon asked, gesturing her shoulder towards Yuri. Yunho forced a smile.

"Yeah. I'm repeating the entire day to reflect on this one regretful day. Sometimes, I wonder if I could've made a difference," he replied.

"Look, it's been a couple of months. You should get over her and start a new life," she advised him.

"But what if she wakes up today, tomorrow, or next week?"

"What if she wakes up after next year?"

"I'll still wait for her. I'll still love her. If I stop loving her, then she might die."

"Die of what?"

"Die from feeling hopeless and lost; of feeling that she isn't loved."

Taeyeon heaved a sigh and took away the cheesecake. "Look, it's not like she's hearing everything that's going on."

"When you're in coma, the brain is unconscious. The heart isn't," Yunho said, pointing at his chest.

"So you think that BoA is only surviving because of your one-sided love for her?" she asked.

"No, I know that she is. She's probably trying to search for who she really loves, and when she realizes that it's me who she loves, then I honestly believe that she'll wake up and come to me," he responded.

"Okay, fine. Do what you want, but what should I do with the cheesecake? Throw it away?" Taeyeon asked, giving him a disapproving look. Yunho shrugged his shoulders. When his eyes stopped at Yuri's back, he gently tapped on Taeyeon's arm.

"Actually, can you give it to that girl over there? She might want it more than me," Yunho said.

"Do you know her? Or are you just giving this cheesecake just because she reminds you of BoA?"

Yunho paused. "No, I know her. She's one of my dance crew members."

"Ah, those dancing slaves. BoA really loved that group. It's nice to hear you taking over it," Taeyeon praised. "Oh, and by the way, as being on of BoA's friends, I think that she would like it if you moved on. You know how much she hated one-sided love."

"Yeah," he agreed. "Too bad I can't fall out of this love."

"I don't think so," Taeyeon said, walking away. "I definitely don't think so..."

 

"Jaejoong?"

"Y-Yeah?"

"Are you okay? You look like you're on thin ice," Jessica said, pointing at Jaejoong's skates. Instead of admitting that he couldn't skate, Jaejoong just laughed and slowly walked himself towards the small fence to steady himself.

"I'm fine!" he exclaimed, quickly grabbing onto the rails before he could slip. "I'm just not used to these skates..."

"Huh. Well, we better get skating. We're leaving our picnic basket unattended. What if someone takes it away?" Jessica asked worriedly.

"Are you that concerned over our food? Relax, there's nothing big in there. There's just some sandwich, drinks--"

"A dog."

"A dog--Wait, what?" When Jaejoong looked up, there was two stray dogs digging into the basket. He gasped, and tried to skate out of the lake until he accidentally lost his balance and slipped. Jessica gasped, then bit her bottom lip to keep herself from laughing.

I look so uncool, he thought, groaning. By now, the dogs pulled out the box of sandwich and took off. Jessica finally decided to help Jaejoong up, and when she did, the two stumbled over to where they placed their shoes. They changed the skates to their boots and ran over to the basket. Jaejoong looked inside, then bit his lips. There were teeth marks on the drinks and the fruits were wiped out clean. The only thing that remained in perfect condition was the flowers he had gotten for Jessica.

"I'm so sorry," Jaejoong apologized. "I didn't mean for this to happen..."

"No, it's fine," Jessica replied, smiling. She managed to take a peek in the basket, and saw the flowers. They're not for me. They're for Yuri. Maybe he was going to ask me later to give those to her? "It was kind of funny. I just feel bad for you, though. The basket is ruined and juice is leaking out from the holes."

"Yeah. It was getting too cold for a picnic, anyway," he said, shrugging his shoulders. 

"So what do you have planned for us now?" she asked.

"Didn't you want to skate?"

"Oh, come on. Both of us at skating, and it's getting pretty crowded. I think we can see that we're not meant to be on skates," Jessica replied, rolling her eyes. Jaejoong flushed his cheeks.

"I-I normally skate really well! It's just that today I'm having trouble," he stuttered. 

"Sure, whatever you say," she said, rolling her eyes. "So, what are we going to do now?"

The date is completely ruined. My plan for a romantic picnic in the snow is gone, and I showed her a humiliating sight of me. What do I do now? he wondered. When his eyes rested upon the setting sun, he raised his eyebrows. Confess? Should I confess? I'll look like an idiot, but the sky's perfect. Or should I not confess? I've already showed her my weak side.

"That place looks warm," Jessica blurted, pointing at a small café. "Should we have coffee and start heading home or something?"

"Already? But..."

She flashed him a smile. "I think we had enough for one day."

I've made no progress, though! Jaejoong thought, wanting to pull out his hair.

If I eat dinner with him, he's probably going to talk about Yuri. I don't want to hear that, Jessica told herself, shaking her head.

"U-Uh, sure. Just let me check if I have my wallet..." Jaejoong froze for a moment. His wallet was in his pocket, but that wasn't something that caused him to stand and stare. Jessica followed his gaze, then bit her tongue as she tried to keep the stingy feeling from confronting her. They saw Yuri leaning against a lamp post, sipping some hot chocolate while closing her eyes. For Jessica, that was all she saw. For Jaejoong, he saw something else.

Before grabbing his wallet, Jaejoong reached out for his cell phone.

Damn you, Kwon Yuri! he shouted in his mind. Why are you at the exact same place where BoA was before she went into coma? He paused, then gritted his teeth. And why is Yunho stalking you like a creep?

 

Yunho never meant to follow Yuri. It was a coincidence for him to see her at one of the areas where BoA was a few months ago. He remembered how his crush used to lean against the lamp post whenever she felt distressed. He would often come over in a rush to see her whenever she needed her, but on the particular day BoA fell into coma, he couldn't meet up with her. It would be reasonable for him to be standing at this specific area, yes?

Or was it not okay?

Yunho felt his phone vibrate. He usually kept the power off, but for the moment, he was going to put it on incase something happened to Yuri. The fellow man fished out his phone and raised an eyebrow when he got a call from Jaejoong.

An emergency...?

"Hello?" Yunho answered.

"Why in the world are you stalking Yuri?" Jaejoong blurted. Yunho blinked his eyes, and turned around. However, the streets got so crowded, it was a miracle for him to spot Yuri's head.

"I'm not stalking her," he denied. "I'm just retracing my step--"

"Are you serious? I know the places you've been to, and I'm sure that you're supposed to be at the hospital by now. Why are you still following Yuri?"

"I'm not--" Yunho stopped when he realized where he was going. The hospital was at the other street. Why was he on this street? He looked up, and found Yuri humming a tune silently to herself. He bit his bottom lip, then nodded his head. "I'm heading towards the hospital. I just need to buy flowers."

"Yunho, stop kidding with me."

"What?"

"You never brought BoA flowers. You always came to her with empty hands and muttered apologies. Why are you giving her flowers all of the sudden?" Jaejoong asked. Yunho stopped his tracks, and watched Yuri fade away into the crowd. Anxious, he tried to look for her, but Jaejoong interrupted his motives. "Yunho, I can see you. Stop moving."

"Why do you care all of the sudden?" he snapped, glaring at the phone.

"Is it because you like her?" a female voice asked in the background. Yunho paused, then slightly widened his eyes.

"Was that Jessica?" he asked, surprised.

"A-Ah, yeah. W-Wait," Jaejoong stuttered. His voice was quiet, but Yunho was able to hear what he was saying. "What are you talking about, Jessica? Why would I like Yuri?"

"Are we on this date to talk about Yuri?" Jessica's voice spoke up. "If we are, can I leave, then?"

Knowing that this would turn out to be some kind of drama, Yunho took this chance to bid Jaejoong "goodbye" and hung up. He shoved his phone back into his pockets, then took one glance back at the crowd. He chuckled to himself, then shook his head.

No, nothing's going to happen to Yuri, he thought. She's Kwon Yuri. Unattractive, clumsy, and a terrible dancer. There's not one single thing good about her--

"Someone fainted!" a voice cried out. "A girl fainted!"

Not taking a second to think, he whirled around and squeezed himself through the crowd, only to find Yuri on the ground, pale and quiet.