The Difference

The Olive Branch

"Hello! My name is K-Kwon Yuri! It's a pleasure to meet you all!" a tall, lean girl greeted loudly. Jaejoong, who had forgotten about Yuri, ignored her and tapped his pencil against his notebook. He gazed out the window, only to see a small sparrow land on the edge of the clear glass. He paused, and watched the little bird jump near the window pane, as if it was fascinated by the classroom. In a flash, Jaejoong swooped his pencil and began to sketch the bird in the finest detail. He was too focused on his drawing of nature itself that he did not notice Yuri passing by his side. A note landed on the corner of his desk, which could be seen by the teacher if he did not pick it up in a few seconds.

The teacher, sharp as ever, looked up from her desk and stared at the crumped white paper on one of her student's desk. She frowned, and stood up from her seat, her heels tapping lightly against the floor in a brisky manner. She had a long stick carried on her left hand, which tapped itself against the palm of her right. When she made it at Jaejoong's desk, her soft, gentle eyes did not look so welcoming anymore. A loud snap! echoed in the classroom, and Jaejoong almost fell off his chair when the loud impact hit his ear. He shot his head straight up, only to see the teacher displeased with what he was doing. 

"Well, well. Kim Jaejoong, what do you think you're doing?" she asked ever so cautiously. The bird flew away, flapping its brown wings to wherever it needed to go. Jaejoong gulped, and watched the teacher pick up the crumbled paper. She unfolded the note, skimmed her eyes over it, then laughed. She turned across the room, where Yunho was ducking his head as low as he could.

"Jung Yunho, I'm sure you know that under our school grounds, school rules do apply," she said. "I'm sure that one of the school rule also includes no passing notes during lectures."

Yunho looked up, and wet his lips nervously. "Er, I can explain…"

"Explain or not, it's still note passing. I'm also sure that asking your friend for money is not something you can explain about." The teacher turned over to Jaejoong, and snatched away his notebook. She flipped the pages, scoffing and laughing at the countless doodles and artistic sketches of birds, trees, and other objects. "Jaejoong, I'm well aware that you are a great artist, but I don't believe that it is art class now, is it?"

"I was just--"

"Both of you, out," she yelled. "Your hands are to be raised high up in the air and straight like a rocket! Let's go, let's go!"

The two boys scrambled out of the classroom, scowling and sighing as they thought of who to blame for their misfortune.

Yuri, who had been noticing the two boys, nodded her head in amusement and leaned far back on her chair. The teacher excused herself for a moment and left the class, allowing the students to chat among themselves or, as most students always did, study. Yuri, who was clueless of what to study for and what chapter they were on in their book, leaned towards her neighbor and tapped on his shoulder. 

"Hey, do those two always get in trouble?" Yuri asked quietly. The awkward boy shifted in his seat uncomfortably and shrugged his shoulders. He looked away and focused on studying, ignoring Yuri's curious question. She frowned, and tapped the shoulder to the girl next to her.

"We're on chapter three," the girl said. "Chapter one was review and we're skipping chapter two until we go over chapter five."

"No, I'm wondering about those two guys. Are they trouble makers?" Yuri repeated.

"Well, there's no doubt that they're popular… Well, except for Jaejoong. He's looked down upon, but he always tops the exams. I don't know how he does it when he just sleeps or doodles all day. I heard that he even goes on the train and fights gangs! Then there's Yunho. He's only popular for his dancing and his good looks, which is quite rare since a lot of guys in our school don't look that good. He's second on the exams and has a really good attitude; even better than Jaejoong! That's why Yunho is the most popular. He's nice and smart. Even the teachers love him." The student paused, then laughed. "Well, besides this teacher."

"Oh… I see," Yuri muttered. She paused, then her eyes widened. "Wait, dancing? Does this school have a dancing course?"

"Well, it's more like a contest. If you sign up today, then you'll be able to enter the contest. Of course, auditioning does apply. If you win, I think you get some albums or CD's or something. I forgot. You don't stand a chance against Yunho, though. He's won every single time," the girl said bluntly. Yuri, offended, cursed her partner under her breath and looked away at her book. She flipped her book open to the chapter and began to study. However, her mind would continue to wander back to the image of her standing in the middle of the crowd, dancing to her heart's content.

 

After school, a woman wearing a brown uniform rushed out of the school. The bell rung loudly, and she was on her way to after school tutoring. Her blonde hair, which she got detention for, bounced behind her. The rim of the skirt floated with the gentle lift of the wind, brushing against the middle of her thigh. She straightened her wrinkled coat, and rubbed her arms for warmth. Quickly, with her literature book in her hands, she raced pass the school gates and ran to the train station.

"Stupid Yuri," she muttered in fluent English. "Why did you have to sign up for a useless dancing contest? Sheesh. Making me go home alone when I can hardly find my back home with the train."

Right then, she got a text message from her friend.

From: Kwon Yuri
I know you're mad, Jessica, but I'll make it up to you! Just letting you know, be careful of a tall guy with black hair. He's not a good man. If you see someone with a chill aurora, avoid him. I think his name was Jaejoong? I don't know, but I heard he rides on the train after school and gets into a ton of mess. Bye~ ^^

"Damn right I'm angry!" Jessica cursed. She almost threw her phone across the street before realizing that many were giving her strange looks. She cleared , and ran towards the train station. When her book almost slipped out of her arm, she gasped and opened it to where an olive branch stood still. She picked it up from her book, examined its bark, then placed it back at the page she was on, running and panting in the cold, autumn air.

When she did make it to the station, she found two boys facing each other like a duel. No, scratch that. There was one guy and a whole mob of guys swarming around him. Curious, Jessica squeezed her way through the crowds of boys and made it to the front. 

Oh. The guy from this morning, Jessica thought, recognizing the emotionless look. Jaejoong, who had his hands in his pockets and his weight shifted to one side, stared dully at the teenager who was picking a fight with him. The stranger cracked his knuckles and neck, and laughed bitterly at his enemy.

"You're an idiot for picking a fight with me," the stranger muttered. "I got my gang here, and you only got yourself. Now, we can do this the easy way or the hard way. Pay up. You owe me a lot of money." 

The stranger pointed straight down at the golden jewerly shattered on the ground. Jessica's eyes popped wide open, admiring the glistening pile of yellow gold. There was even a small picture hiding under the small mountain of jewel. When Jessica knelt down to reach for the picture, she realized that it was a picture of a young woman with fair skin and a beautiful smile. It was quite obvious that the picture was the stranger's mother or aunt.

"For what? It doesn't mean anything. Just sell the gold and you'll get tons of cash back," Jaejoong replied bluntly. He took a cigarette out of his pocket and lit it up with his lighter. Once the cigarette was lighted, he shoved the lighter back down in his pocket and breathed in the unwanted smoke. Jessica coughed quietly, covering and nose with her hand. She frowned, disappointed with a teenager smoking at such a young age.

"Just gold? My mom gave me that, you little skunk. It was the only item she gave to me before she left this stupid world!" the stranger screamed. "You're going to pay for the necklace."

Jessica's eyes softened when she stared at the broken chain. Oh. So it's from his deceased mother.

Just then, Jaejoong's eyes turned dangerously cold. His raised his knee, as if he was getting warmed up for a fight. In a blink of an eye, he lifted his leg high up in the air and aimed it near the angry man's shoulder. Jessica gasped, and flinched as she closed her eyes shut and looked away. Her hands automatically covered her ears, fearing to hear any unwanted groans and pain. She stood in the same position for a few moments. When silence filled the atmosphere, she slowly uncovered her ears and looked up. Then, she found the man's skinny leg rested itself against the stranger's shoulder, who looked more scared than angry.

"Say that again," Jaejoong hissed, his voice even colder than the breeze itself. "I'm a what? A little what?"

The man said nothing. His face paled and his eyes were wide, still shocked from what Jaejoong had attempted to do. There was a pause in the air before Jaejoong smirked. He dropped his knee and puffed out a handful of smoke. His eyes met Jessica's for a brief moment. Like before, their gazes were fixed to each other's eyes. No one dared to disturb them, and time seemed have stopped a second just for them. Their stares were undisturbed and calm, yet it seemed to have a deeper meaning than just a look. Finally, Jaejoong looked away and heard an announcement how his train was coming just around the corner.

"See you," Jaejoong mumbled, turning his body around. Once it seemed that Jaejoong was far enough to hear the murmurs in the crowd, the shocked man finally recovered and gave a devlish glare at Jaejoong's back.

"Little skunk," he muttered. 

Everything had happened so fast, Jessica had no time to escape from the bloody scene. Jaejoong turned his body around, his dark eyes thin and quiet. His breathing became sharper and louder as if he had ran a marathon. He ran straight towards the stranger, and lifted his knee high up in the air. In a straight 180º, Jaejoong's leg slammed straight down from the sky, aiming directly at the stranger's shoulder. The other man howled in pain, falling on knees and grabbing his shoulder. Gasps and grumbles were heard as the injured man failed to get up his knees.

"My shoulder! My shoulder!" he cried loudly, now falling to the ground. Jessica covered with her hands, her eyes as wide as an egg. She stared at Jaejoong, watching him as if he was a murderer. 

From that moment on, Jessica made sure to never talk to him.