The Fever Boy

The Olive Branch

Whenever Jaejoong went to Yunho's house, he would take a secret path to return home, then another road to his friend's house. When he arrived at his house, the lights were off. The sun was just about to hide behind the tall apartment buildings around his neighborhood. He sighed and used his keys to open the door. Right when he swung it open, something grabbed his shirt. He gasped, and was pulled down to the ground. Behind him, he heard the door close and lock. He only had one person in his mind who would do such a thing: his father.

"You good-for-nothing brat!" his father spat, turning his body to glare at him. The first thing Jaejoong noticed was his father's blood-shot eyes and his wrinkled face. His father gritted his yellow teeth, and forcefully grabbed his son's collar. Jaejoong scrunched his nose as the scent of alcohol and smoke drifted in the air.

"Hello Father--"

"Don't 'Father' me! Where were you last night? Coming home late at night... and partying? You disgusting little dog!" Jaejoong's father screamed. He raised a fist, and was about to punch his own son until the phone rang. The father groaned, then dropped his son's collar. Jaejoong landed flat on the ground, gasping for air. His father walked over to the phone, and pulled out the cable.

"I thought I plugged it off," his father muttered. When his father turned around, Jaejoong was already out the door. His father glared at the open door.

"Yeah! Don't come back! I don't need a son like you!" his father screamed. Jaejoong ignored his father's cries and continued to run straight out the door. When he finally thought that he was safe, he took a deep breath and panted. His heart raced, but not from the fear of his father almost beating him up, but from running too fast. His father always had some kind of urge to punch something or someone, and Jaejoong was usually the one who would curse and abuse. Jaejoong never said anything about this, nor did his father. He was deadly afraid that his father would take revenge against him in the future.

What a cruel, cruel world, he thought, walking at a different path. He checked his phone. It would take him around ten minutes to arrive at Yunho's home, and by then, he would probably be sleeping. Still, I've got to visit him. 

After 10 minutes of walking, he finally arrived at Yunho's home. However, he was shocked to see Jessica in front of his house, ringing the door bell. Jaejoong gulped nervously, and felt his cheeks heat up. His heart began to race again, and his mouth became dry. When Jessica turned around, she spotted Jaejoong standing stupidly near a near.

"Oh, hey Jaejoong," she greeted him. Jaejoong snapped out of his mindless thought and nodded his head in response.

"H-Hi," he stuttered, awkwardly walking up to her. "So... You came to visit Yunho?"

Jessica laughed. "Oh, no. I came to deliver something from Donghae. He said that they had dance practice, and he couldn't miss it. I just wanted to deliver this ramen cup quickly, but he doesn't seem like he's opening the door."

"I-I got the keys!" he exclaimed, rummaging through his pockets. He quickly grabbed a silver key from his pocket, then attempted to grin at her. He quickly pushed the key into the key holed and managed to unlock the door. When he opened it, all he heard was Yunho coughing from upstairs. Jessica's eyes were glued to the interior of the building.

"This place is so... beautiful," Jessica whispered in awe. There were several chandeliers hanging from the ceiling, and the smooth walls made her feel as if she was in a toy house.

"Yep. Yunho's pretty rich," Jaejoong explained, taking off his shoes. Jessica followed his lead and took off her shoes and neatly placed it besides his. The two went upstairs, and found that all the rooms were closed except for one. Jaejoong knocked on the door.

"Yunho, we're coming in," he said. When he swung the door, the two guests saw Yunho in a miserable position. Half of his body was on the ground, while the other half was clinging onto the thin blanket hanging from the bed. Jessica gasped and covered .

"Oh my gosh. He looks so miserable!" she cried.

"Nah, don't worry. Hey, Yunho, wake up," Jaejoong said, kicking Yunho's arm that was on the ground. Yunho slowly opened his eyes, then groaned. He grabbed his head with his free hand and tried stop Jaejoong by waving the hand that was being kicked.

"I'm... awake," he responded tiredly.

"See? Nothing to worry about," Jaejoong pointed out. "Um, I brought money so you can buy medicine. It's on the counter here, okay? See you--"

"Wait!" Jessica exclaimed, grabbing Jaejoong's arm. Jaejoong suddenly blushed at the sudden contact. He looked away, and waited for her to say something. "You can't leave Yunho here. He looks so pitiful!"

Yunho slowly looked up, then moaned in agony. "Jaejoong, why'd you bring a pest..."

Jaejoong shot him a glare. "Just stay quiet."

"Um, um, um... What do I do? I never saw anyone catch a fever. Actually, I did, but when they did, they knew what to do," Jessica said, glancing over at Yunho. "But he doesn't! He looks so miserable!"

"You never caught a fever?" Yunho asked in a weak voice.

"I did, but Yuri was the one who cured me--" Her eyes lit up, but Yunho's darkened. "Wait! Let me call her--"

"No! Stop!" Yunho shouted with a dry voice. He began to cough, and grabbed a used tissue from the ground. He blew his nose and waved his hand. "Don't call her. She's the reason why I got sick!"

"Yunho, you know that Yuri caught a small cold, but she's already up and on her feet to practice for dancing?" Jaejoong informed him. "I talked to her today. You know, you can use some sort of effort like her--"

"Shut up," Yunho muttered. Jessica dropped her phone back into her bag.

"Well, I can't just leave you like this," Jessica mumbled. "Here, at least let me help you get tucked in."

Jessica bent over to Yunho and grabbed his limp shoulders. Yunho muttered something, but none of the two listened to what he was saying. Jaejoong stared at Jessica's cute attempt to throw Yunho over his bed. He smiled a bit, but then frowned when Yunho kept staring at Jessica in a strange way. Feeling uncomfortable over this, Jaejoong pushed Jessica to the side and helped Yunho lie down on his bed. Jessica stared at him for a second, but then allowed him to help.

"Okay. Um, what do we do now?" Jessica asked. She pulled out the plastic bag. "I can't feed him ramen, can I?"

"But he has to eat," Jaejoong added.

"Should I just call Yuri to help--"

"No!" Yunho shouted. "I don't want to see her face."

"Oh my gosh, Yunho. Are you kidding me? What did Yuri do to you? She caught a cold, too," Jaejoong complained. Jessica bit her bottom lip, then pulled out her phone.

"Then it would be okay to call her, but not to bring her over, right?" Jessica asked.

Yunho paused, then narrowed his eyes. "As long as I don't hear her voice, I'm okay with that. Oh yeah, Yuri lost her phone. You can use my phone to contact Donghae at the dance studio."

Jessica grinned, and quickly grabbed Yunho's phone to find Donghae's number.

 

"One, two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight! Stop! Pose, turn, and step to the right!" Donghae declared, smoothly stepping over to his right. The crew behind him did exactly the same. Yuri panted hard, thinking how difficult the dance steps her. Nevertheless, she managed to keep up with his lessons.

If it was Yunho, then he would probably force me to dance until my legs break, she thought, smiling in relief.

"That's a wrap! Let's take a break for--" Donghae stopped when his phone rang. He dug into his pocket, and stared at the caller. He looked up back to the other dance members. "Um, we're going to have an extended break. Twenty minutes!"

Everyone in the room gathered up with their friends or sat independently to do their homework. Yuri sat at the corner of the room and pulled out her science homework. When she saw a pair of shoes in front of her, she slowly looked up and found Donghae holding out his phone.

"Your friend Jessica called through Yunho's phone," Donghae explained. "I think she wants to talk to you."

Yuri nodded her head, but frowned. Why is Jessica with Yunho?

"Hello?" she answered.

"Oh, thank goodness! Yuri, this is Jessica," Jessica said. "Um, I'm at Yunho's house with Jaejoong right now."

"Aren't you supposed to be at cram school?" Yuri asked, frowning. It wasn't that she was disappointed in her friend. For some reason, she just felt like she needed to frown, especially when she heard that Jessica was at Yunho's house.

"I was, but then Donghae wanted me to send some food over to Yunho. By the way, he has a fever and I don't know what to do with him."

"Just leave him there."

Yuri heard Jessica scowl. "Both you and Jaejoong are the same! I mean, if you saw him right now, he looks miserable. What do I do?"

Yuri heaved a sigh. "Jessica, I'm not an expert in curing fevers. Plus, he's a guy. He's pretty much rich, so he can probably hire a maid in thirty seconds flat--"

"Yuri, please? The way he position himself is so awkward! I want to help him out, even if it's a little bit," Jessica pleaded.

"Fine, fine. Just give him something cold to eat--"

"So no ramen?"

"Why'd you even buy the ramen?" Yuri asked.

"I didn't. Like I said, I had to deliver some food, and Donghae's ramen was one," Jessica said.

Yuri rolled her eyes. "Whatever. Just give him something cold to eat, like ice cream. Make sure he drinks plenty of water and put a towel on his forehead."

"How about medicine?"

"Um, I have some medicine in my bag. Should I come over and--"

"No!" Yunho shouted in the background. "Okay, Jessica, time's up. Give me my phone."

"But you need to eat some medicine!" Jessica persisted back at Yunho. Yuri suddenly felt uncomfortable. She didn't really like it when Yunho and Jessica were talking to each other.

This is strange. I shouldn't be feeling like this, Yuri thought. "Um, why don't you check if he has some medicine in the counter, then?"

"Jaejoong, go check," Jessica ordered.

"What? Why me?" Jaejoong whined back. Yuri felt her chest ease up.

"I have medicine in the cabinet downstairs, Jessica. I don't need medicine," Yunho muttered. This time, Yuri felt her heart squeeze in pain. 

"Oh, okay. I'm hanging up Yuri, okay? Tell Donghae that I'm going to add his number to my phone just incase that I need to calm him, okay?" Jessica said.

"Sure, sure. I should be going, too. I think Donghae wanted to see something on his smart phone. Later." With that, the two hung up. Yuri heaved a deep sigh and handed the phone back to Donghae. "Thanks for lending me the phone."

Donghae gulped down his water from the water bottle. "No problem, but can I ask why she called?"

Yuri pressed her lips, then faked a smile. "Nothing much. She just wanted to ask me how things were doing. Oh, by the way, she added your number into her cell phone."

Donghae's phone rang, alerting him that he had a text message. He grinned as he looked up at her.

"Sweet! I just got a message from her. Thanks, Yuri," he said.

Yuri only nodded her head, continuing to force a smile. "No problem. It was no problem at all."

She paused for a moment, and replayed the entire conversation in her head. She remembered how horrible Yunho sounded and Jessica's worried tone. She also remembered how Jessica told Jaejoong to get some medicine...

Her trail of thoughts quickly stopped. Her eyes widened like a deer in the headlights. Jessica was with Jaejoong. Jessica was with Jaejoong.

"Donghae, can you give me Yunho's address?" Yuri asked.

"Sure. Let me just grab a pencil and a piece of paper..." Donghae walked over to his bag and grabbed a random pencil and ripped out a sheet of paper from his school notebook. He quickly scribbled down the address and a little drawing of where the area was. When he handed it to Yuri, she snatched it away and stood up.

"Thanks! I've got to go!" Yuri exclaimed, grabbing her bag. Donghae looked up with a shocked expression.

"What? But what about prac--"

"I promise that I'll come tomorrow and practice an extra hour. I really have to go! My friend's life depends on me blocking the man who is about to attack her again!" Yuri explained. She rushed out of the room, leaving Donghae puzzled and lost for words.