The Upcoming Date

The Olive Branch

It was finally December. Snow fell from the cloudy sky, showering the ground with a nice blanket of white snow. Some took the car, while others decided to walk in the cold weather. Yuri, who was just coming out from school, grabbed her hand-knitted gloves from her bag and slipped them on. She muttered something under her breath, cursing how cold the weather was and how she hated winer.

Even though her birthday was coming up in five days.

She giggled quietly to herself, excited over her upcoming birthday. What was she going to get for her birthday? Maybe cake. Cake would be a good idea. What about presents?

Yuri frowned at herself when she thought about this. She didn't have a lot of friends. Her closest friend was Jessica, but that was practically it. 

But there are those guys from Yunho's dance crew, she thought. Then, she shook her head. No, I don't even know them that well. We just had dinner and that's it. It would be too rude for me to blurt out how it's my birthday in five days.

"Yuri!" Jessica called her from behind. Yuri turned around and smiled at the running blond-haired girl. Once Jessica caught up with her friend, she began to pant and removed her scarf. The tip of her nose was bright red, and her lips turned to a nice shade of purple.

"Jessica, it's cold! Wear your scarf," Yuri scolded her.

"Sorry, but I just wanted to ask you what you wanted for your birthday," Jessica replied. 

Score! Yuri thought, pumping her fist. "Um, actually... You know how we just moved to this new neighborhood?"

"Yeah. Oh! I know this really good cake shop just a few minutes away from our apartment. Want to go check it out?" Jessica asked.

"No, no. I mean, yeah, sure, but not now. Um... Is there a way for us to... You know... Okay, I'll just get straight to the point. Can we have a birthday party?" Yuri pleaded. Jessica blinked her eyes, then put her scarf over her face.

"A birthday party? Um, sure. Just tell me who to invite and I'll--"

"That's the point. I don't have any friends at my school--"

"What? Yuri, are you isolated?" Jessica asked, stopping her tracks and grabbing Yuri's hands. Yuri laughed and shook her head.

"No, it's just that I attended this school late, so everyone was already in groups. That's why I joined Yunho's dancing crew! To make friends and improve on my dancing skills," Yuri explained. "So... I was wondering if you could get any of your friends or something...?"

Jessica howled with laughter. "Yuri, are you joking? You know that I don't make a lot of friends at school."

"What? Why not? W-What about Donghae? You saw him when we went to the restaurant with Jaejoong and Yunho."

"Um, I don't know. Maybe I've seen them..." A pause. Then, Jessica gave her friend a grin. "Actually, I think I got an idea to have a party. Here, tell me the things you want and I'll grant all your wishes."

Yuri smiled, and gave Jessica a hug. "Thanks! I promise, I won't be disappointed over what you plan for me..."

 

"Please! I beg of you, it's really important!"

"Why should I even help you? Don't you have cram school? Why are you following me?"

"Come on! Look at all those cash in your wallet! I'll spend my money on the party supplies, but all I need you to do is contact Yunho and ask him to invite some people to Yuri's birthday party. Please, Jaejoong? I thought we were buddies!"

"Jessica, when were we ever buddies? And what makes you think that I don't have a lot of friends? I can probably bribe them with this," Jaejoong said, taking out a fresh green bill. Jessica pouted, but continued to follow Jaejoong around the super market. She watched Jaejoong carefully decide on which meat product he should buy. Once he made his decision, he placed it inside the basket and continued to walk.

"Please? I just need at least two hours or three hours. And why would you have a friend? Have you seen the way you beat up all those reckless guys outside of school? You got me in temporary jail since I was closer to you and standing in the center of those beaten up jerks," Jessica pointed out.

Jaejoong grumbled and rolled his eyes. "So you want me to contact Yunho about this matter? He's obviously going to refuse."

"Why? Yuri's a beauty! Why would he refuse? Plus, they're attending the same dance group or whatever. If anything, they should be getting along," Jessica pointed out.

"But you know that they don't. Have you seen them together? They're like... devils when they're together," he said, examining an apple. "Hey, do you think I can craft this apple to something pretty?"

Jessica's eyes twinkled. "Hey, want to craft it into something pretty for Yuri's birthday? It's in five days."

Jaejoong stopped staring at the red apple. He turned his head to face Jessica, who gave him an adorable puppy-eyes. His cheeks felt hotter than usual, and his heart began to race faster. He looked away before she could catch him blush.

Stupid Jessica, he thought, picking out the apples and shoving them in a plastic bag as quickly as he could. This feels so annoying.

"Fine, fine," Jaejoong said, heading towards the vegetable section. "I'll ask Yunho and see what I can do. But don't blame me if something becomes an unexpected situation, alright?"

Jessica squealed in delight and clapped her hands like a toddler. "Yes! Thank you so much!" She paused, then grinned at him. "Well, what can go wrong? I'm sure you can convince Yunho to bring some girls to Yuri's party. Remember, it's on December 5th; it's five days from today. Good luck!"

I don't need luck, Jessica, Jaejoong thought, skipping his way to the snack section. I already have a lot of friends! I don't even need Yunho's help for this one. You just see, Blonde. I can get enough girls to hang around for Yuri's birthday party in no time!