History Test

The Man who never Dies

So Eun paced back and forth urgently as the boys got their books out of their lockers.

"Come on, hurry up." So Eun muttered, her brows furrowed.

Zelo quickly grabbed his books diligently and Yongguk nudged Youngjae. "What's up with her? PMS?" He whispered.

Youngjae rolled his eyes. "Do you think I'd know if it really was? But no. Don't you remember what's going to happen today?"

"Today?" Yongguk echoed in confusion. He frowned and scratched his chin. "What's happening today?"

Himchan threw a textbook at Yongguk and the leader caught it quickly. "History?" He blurted.

At the feared subject, So Eun let out a wail as she hyperventilated. "Will you guys hurry up and grab your books? I've got to go to class to start revising the notes!"

Yongguk looked utterly confused. "Why would she need to revise the notes? It's not like there's a test-" he faltered, his eyes wide.

He took a sharp intake of breath as his jaw dropped opened. "Oh my gosh. Today is the date for the History test?" His hands flew to cup his cheeks in astonishment.

"Bingo~" Himchan sang. "And it seems like someone forgot to study for it~"

"CRAPPP!!!" Yongguk cursed and flipped through the pages of the textbook in a hurry. "What topics are tested again? CRAP!"

So Eun her lips nervously as her fingers balled up in a tight fist. As mentioned before, So Eun at History.

S-U-C-K-E-D. Big time.

She had no idea why though. She could remember all the information for Biology, the equations for Math and Physics, name all the states for Geography, but when it came to History her mind just failed her.

She couldn't remember the dates, for one. The order of happenings just didn't seem to stick in her mind no matter how she tried to remember them.

She got people's names wrong all the time and couldn't even remember where the Holocaust had occurred. Reading Hitler's name gave her the chills and so did reading about how many people were forced to help a hand in building the Great Wall of China.

So Eun disliked violence or terror of any sort. And she had concluded the main reason for her absolute disdain towards History was because most of the happenings that were recorded were wars.

Like seriously.

The changing of leaders, the transition of dynasties, the death of millions in riots. Those were horrifying happenings that she was expected to study and So Eun's mind just had that ability to erase anything she didn't want to know.

And apparently it erased all the History facts.

So Eun bit her lip nervously as they walked to class. She hugged her history textbook and squeezed her eyes shut, trying to remember the dates again.

Youngjae touched her shoulder and passed her a sweet. "As much as I like you failing, you've got to relax. The facts won't stay if you're so clamped up about it."

So Eun pouted and popped the sweet in . "I don't get it. Why is History the bane of my life?" She muttered furiously. "I mean, I can handle any other subject just fine. But History!" She buried her face in her hands.

"It's okay So Eun." Jongup chirped from behind. "I'm sure you'll do good this time."

So Eun's face contorted and she wanted to scream. "As if." She whispered.

-----

Daehyun walked into school, his hands shoved into his pockets in his signature way of walking. He sighed softly when he saw the large amount of girls that were already waiting for his arrival.

Couldn't they tell he wasn't interested at all?

"Hi Daehyun oppa." A few younger girls crowded around him. "We made some chocolates and we'd like you to have them."

They unwrapped the paper to reveal cute heart shaped chocolates.

Daehyun's expression didn't even change one bit. "I don't eat sweets." He continued walking.

Yeah right he didn't eat sweets. He LOVED sweets. In fact when chocolate first came to Korea, Daehyun almost went mad when he tasted it.

It was so delicious! Nothing like he ever ate before!

But then again he wouldn't eat chocolates unless he bought it himself or So Eun made it for him. No one could compare to So Eun in his heart.

She wasn't perfect, of course. She was human. She had her flaws and her ill tempered times, her stubborn strikes and occasional mean thoughts.

However he loved her even then. He could embrace her bad points and worshiped her good ones, which made it absolutely impossible for Daehyun to look at another girl with even ten percent of the affection he felt for So Eun.

She was just special to him.

The girls slumped and walked a little slower, only to be overtaken by another group of girls. It was war, actually. The girls had to be alert all the time and every moment, someone might cut into their precious time with their Daehyun oppa.

"Daehyun sshi." A girl smiled at him. Daehyun blinked and looked back. Since when did the girls around him change?

"Have you studied for the History test today?" The girl asked, smiling. Daehyun mentally told himself to remember that this girl was in his class, because they apparently had the same test.

"No." Daehyun gave a short reply.

The girl didn't seem to be discouraged. "Oh my you haven't?" She gasped a little top dramatically. "You can take a look at my notes! It'll help!"

Daehyun strode off. "I don't need it." He waved it off and got to his locker.

Grabbing his books swiftly, he turned to go to class without a backward glance at his supposed classmate. The girl slumped and pouted. "Well I hope you fail!" She huffed.

Daehyun got to class and his eyes landed on So Eun immediately. Usually, her eyes would be on him as he walked in, but today she seemed to engrossed in what she was reading that she didn't even notice him even after he sat down beside her.

Daehyun glanced at her, putting down his bag a little more noisily than usual. She didn't look up.

Daehyun peered at what she was reading and realized she was studying for the history test. And from the looks of it, she was not very far from hyperventilating, or actually already there.

"I can't remember anything!" So Eun shrieked. "Why is History so hard?"

"It isn't hard. It's just that your brain has some sort of repellant to it." Zelo mused. "Noona, at least you knew about the test, unlike Yongguk hyung."

"Don't talk about it!" Yongguk boomed, flipping the pages in panic. "I agree! Why is History so hard?"

Daehyun cracked a small smile as he got ready for lesson, taking his books out. So Eun hyperventilating was a really adorable sight even though she looked hella stressed.

He liked her no matter how she looked, so this sight looked especially endearing.

"When was the start of the Goryeo dynasty again?" So Eun shrieked, flipping the pages frantically. "I can't find it!"

*Year 936. The year you died and the year I became immortal.* Daehyun's eyes dimmed.

"936." Youngjae answered without thinking. "So Eun, I hate to break this to you, but I think I see Teacher Shin walking down the corridor."

"What?" So Eun gasped. "So soon?" She actually looked slightly green. "Oh no I'm so going to fail this!"

"You never fail anything! Not even history." Yongguk muttered. "Spare a thought for this guy over here," he pointed at himself. "Who really fails everything."

Teacher Shin walked into class with the brightest smile on her face, the kind of smile that only appeared when there were tests or exams. The type of smile that appeared because they knew just how you were going to screw the paper and were amused at how you were uselessly stuffing information in your brain. Teachers.

"Alright class keep your notes. Lee Jinki can you please take the attendance?" She smiled. "When that's done, we'll start the History Test!"

So Eun groaned. "Just kill me."







Teacher Shin walked down the row to collect the papers and Daehyun noticed how So Eun was fidgety.

In fact, she was fidgety the entire test and kept grabbing at her hair. Daehyun didn't understand how she thought it was difficult. It was easier than the alphabets, really, because Daehyun had no idea about English.

Everything the questions asked, he had witnessed and lived it.

Reading from a textbook was nothing compared to the real fear and gush of emotions as compared to living the actual event. Daehyun had them etched deeply in his mind and all he needed to so was to pluck them out and write them down.

When Teacher Shin reached So Eun's table, she grabbed one end of the paper while Teacher Shin pulled on the other end. "So Eun, you've got to hand this up." She whispered in a strained voice.

So Eun shook her head fearfully. No! No she was going to fail!!!

Youngjae flicked an eraser at So Eun's head and the light impact made her momentarily stunned, loosening her grip on the paper.

Teacher Shin took it hurriedly and sent a grateful glance at Youngjae. So Eun immediately slumped on the table and moped.

Judging from how Teacher Shin didn't even look surprised at how So Eun reacted, and the way Youngjae knew what to do about it, Daehyun concluded that this happened pretty often. At least, for History.

He passed up his own paper and a small smile played at his lips. So this So Eun wasn't good on History.

That was pretty adorable. How she could be a superwoman in anything else but this. She had lived past some of the events as well, but of course, she didn't remember.

"Was it that bad?" Jongup whispered in concern.

So Eun made a muffled sound and wailed. "Talk human, my daughter. Your mother doesn't understand." Himchan frowned.

So Eun lifted her head and pouted sadly. "I'll bet you twenty thousand won that I'll get lower than a 65."

"No thank you. I don't have twenty thousand won to spare, it buys me four lattes from Starbucks." Yongguk clicked his tongue. "Or how about I bet you fifty thousand won that I'm going to fail this one."

"No need to bet, everyone knows its going to happen." Youngjae snickered and dodged a pen that flew from Yongguk. "You didn't even study!"







School ended.

So Eun was sad and grumpy the entire day because she knew she didn't do well in the test. And her instincts were more often than not, right.

"Don't be so down, noona." Zelo comforted. "At least it isn't the college entrance exams yet."

So Eun faked a smile and nodded. She had high expectations for herself, and she was the sort of perfectionist that would never accept a single blemish.

History was her biggest blemish in her life and she couldn't get rid of it.

She accidentally bumped into Daehyun when she got out of the chair and he sent her a glare. She didn't even bother sending one back as she moped about, grabbing her bag lifelessly.

"Oh come on, it's just one history test. Don't be such a Hermione Granger." Himchan patted her head. "My daughter is stronger than that."

"Let's go out for some food and some fun." Jongup suggested. "That's going to cheer you up in no time."

Without giving her a chance to respond, the BAP boys pulled her towards the front gate and to the nearest dessert stall around the corner.

"Ahjumma! Six patbingsu please!" Yongguk called.

So Eun propped her chin up with her elbows and sighed softly. "You guys don't need to worry. I'll just mope around for a while and I'll be fine."

"You should have some tutoring sessions with Youngjae if you think you're gonna do that bad." Himchan advised. "Maybe that'll help."

"Tried, remember?" Youngjae reminded, playing with the little spoons they provided on the table. "Ended off with us getting into a big fight and not talking for days."

So Eun cracked a smile at the memory. "You were too cocky Yoo Youngjae. Anyone would be angry if you talked to them like that."

"Meh. I don't care." Youngjae clapped as the patbingsus arrived and he dug into the heavenly shaved ice. "My word, ahjumma gets better and better at this!"

"Sweet talker!" The ahjumma smiled and called from the counter.

"Indeed." Zelo made a face.

"Anyway," Himchan turned to look at them. "Who do you think would score badly for this test?"

"Gosh Himchan you're so nosy." So Eun shook her head in disapproval.

"What? But you're listening!" Himchan protested. He scratched his head. "I was right the last two times and who got last for math and physics."

"Yah." Yongguk scowled at the mention of him, the man in question. "Shut up and eat your patbingsu."

"Maybe Jung Daehyun?" Zelo murmured. "I noticed that he never listened in class."

Youngjae nodded. "Yeah I've noticed that too." He agreed. "He doesn't pay attention, but he doesn't move as well. I don't know what's in his mind exactly when he's stoning like that."

So Eun nodded, thinking the exact same thing. She noticed that Daehyun only took out his books and he never bothered to read them. He never even flipped the cover page open for some.

He didn't seem to be putting an ounce of effort in paying attention at all.

"I don't think he's doing well for his other subjects either." Yongguk nodded. He clapped happily. "Do you think he'll take over the last in class position from me?"

"Oh I feel nauseas at the display of utter lack of the sense of self improvement." Youngjae shook his head.

"Hey!" Yongguk huffed.

Jongup scratched his head. "But who knows. Maybe Jung Daehyun may be a genius at History."

Oh Jongup, you don't know how right you are.