Finally

The Man who never Dies

So Eun sat in Daehyun's room, staring blankly. All reminders of Daehyun in this room had disappeared when he died, be it magic or whatever, she didn't know. All she knew was that he wasn't there anymore. He would never be.

She felt too tired to cry, too tired to do anything.

The two rings hung around her neck the whole time, the only thing left from Daehyun. She would give anything to have him come back again, but it wasn't possible.

So Eun sat on Daehyun's bed and hugged the pillow. It didn't even have his scent anymore.

"I miss you." she whispered. "Where are you right now? Are you doing okay?" she wiped away a tear. "I miss you so much, Daehyun. So much that I feel like dying."

So Eun closed her eyes and sighed softly. She heard her mother calling for her from outside and she put down the pillow, rising from the bed. "Coming!" she hollered back.

So Eun looked back at the room and bit her lip, sighing. She made a move to approach the door when something caught her eye. A notebook, under Daehyun's pillow. The corners of the notebook stuck out from under the pillow.

So Eun reached to take it and recognized it as hers. It was the same notebook that she had been writing her will in.

It didn't disappear along with Daehyun because it wasn't his, it was hers. No wonder.

So Eun flipped to where her will was supposed to be and noticed how the paper was torn. Daehyun had apparently gotten rid of the will as soon as he saw it.

So Eun flipped the page and noticed something else. A letter. From him to her.

My dear So Eun,

If, by any chance, you manage to read this letter, it means you're alive. Thank god.

And if, you're reading this letter, it also means I'm dead. I'm sorry.

I hope you won't cry too much, So Eun. You have no idea how many times I've tried killing myself all these years. Yes I was weak, So Eun. When I was waiting for you to be reborn again, everything felt so desperate and gloomy. And you have no idea how I actually YEARNED death.

So maybe my dying this time is going to cause some tears, but it's going to set everything back into place.

I'm sorry for setting the time wrongly to confuse you, love. I can't believe I haven't thought of that sooner. If I had, I'd have done it hundreds of years ago.

Now that the curse has lifted (I hope so), you can finally live the life you deserve. Your parents don't need to suffer the loss of their daughter any longer. My parents...they'll finally get a child that they yearned for these thousand years.

Think about it, we're going to have so many other lives ahead of us. So many years ahead of us to spend together.

It's just that I can't be with you right now.

Please don't cry, So Eun. Don't you see? This little sacrifice on your part and mine in this life is going to assure us happiness in the future.

You know why this time was a success? Because this time was really different. This time, I never once expected living the rest of my life with you.

Every time you were reincarnated, I dreamt of how we would grow old together, get married, have kids and become grandparents. Because of that dream, I didn't dare take risks. I didn't dare do anything out of the ordinary and that's why I always failed.

This time, I abandoned that dream.

I gave you the rings because I wanted you to believe that we were going to be okay after this. We are, So Eun. Just not in this life.

But I mean every bit of the significance those rings represent. I love you, So Eun. I really really do.

I'm sorry for lying to you all this time, causing you tears and suffering. Take those rings and live a happy life, So Eun. And maybe in our next life, we'll meet again.

I know we will.

Till then, love.

-Daehyun

 

 

 

 

Year 2110

"So Eun, why aren't we taking the sky trains?" Youngjae huffed. "They're much faster. We'll get there in two minutes instead of walking for fifteen."

So Eun laughed softly as she hugged her books. "I like walking. These sky trains everywhere are seriously spoiling us too much. You don't even walk much, Youngjae. You're going to get fat." she teased. She turned to Jongup and grinned. "Don't you think so Mr Nice?"

"Agreed." Jongup nodded. Haerin giggled softly beside her boyfriend.

The four of the were walking through the large bridge that hovered in the air, a new technology that saved lots of space. The gang were walking from the main hall of their large high school to the library. The school was so big that it almost seemed like a university. There were flowers and bushes everywhere like a park.

"Why did you reject that guy...what's his name again?" Youngjae frowned. "Oh, Jisuk? He's quite a nice guy, you know! Some of my other friends know him and they all say he's quite nice."

"So? If I wanted a nice guy I'd have chosen Jongup." So Eun murmured.

Jongup blinked and Haerin choked on her saliva. So Eun grinned at the couple cheekily. "Too bad, I don't like nice guys. Hehe."

Youngjae rolled his eyes at So Eun's little joke. "What I meant to say was, you broke his heart. You meanie."

"Aish, I just don't like him alright?" So Eun pouted. "Not as in I detest him or anything, but..." she bit her lip and stared at her feet. "You guys are going to laugh at me again."

Youngjae groaned and Haerin shook her head in amusement. "You're talking about that Daehyun guy you're waiting for?" Jongup looked at So Eun. "But So Eun, you've always talked about this Daehyun guy from your previous life since you were young. But you're 18 now and he still hasn't appeared. Don't you think that perhaps...it's just your imagination?" Jongup asked carefully.

"Exactly." Youngjae nodded. "Even the nice guy says so, you've got to believe him. Your Jung Daehyun doesn't exist."

"He does." So Eun whispered softly. She didn't mind how her friends laughed at how stupid and naive she was, waiting for a guy that didn't seem to exist. Some how when she was reincarnated into this life, she managed to remember everything from her previous life. Not only the last one, but all her memories from all the way back.

She remembered everything.

So tell me, if you were her, would you choose someone else?

-----

Daehyun shook his head as Yongguk and Himchan started bickering again. They were like an old couple really. Yongguk the father and Himchan the mother. Zelo the baby.

Daehyun? He would rather die than join their little "family".

"Will you two shut it? I'm getting a headache." Daehyun muttered. "Don't you two stop bickering?"

"No." Yongguk and Himchan echoed in unison.

Daehyun shook his head. "I wonder why you two are always quarreling when you two obviously click." he muttered. "Maknae, please don't turn out like these two hyungs when you grow older."

Zelo grinned and nodded. "I know." he shrugged. "Kitkat, anyone?"

"Nah." Yongguk shook his head. He turned to Daehyun in interest. "By the way, Daehyun. What are you doing after school today? Want to play visual table tenis at my house?"

Daehyun shook his head. "No, I'm going-"

"To that park again?" Himchan frowned. "Dude, you've been frequenting that park since we were kids. When are you going to quit it? The park is shrivelling up and it looks bad."

"It just lacks maintanence." Daehyun shrugged. There was a faraway look in his eyes. "There was a girl that lived in a house that once was located in that abandoned park, a hundred years ago. I.." he swallowed. "I just..."

"I don't get you, really." Yongguk wrinkled his nose. "But then again, if I understand, it'll be weird. Fine fine, go to that park if you want to while the other two have fun at my house. Let's just leave the school compound as quickly as possible. The library scent is still sticking on me."

Daehyun rolled his eyes and strolled along with his friends with his hands shoved into his pockets. They walked to the large hanging bridge where lots of students passed by to get to and fro from the library and classrooms.

People walked from the opposite direction towards the library and their shoulders brushed against Daehyun's. He didn't bother acknowledging their apologies.

He was too engrossed in thinking about So Eun. Yes, he remembered too.

He went to the park where her previous house had been many times, at least twice a week, in hope of meeting So Eun. Even after so many years, he hadn't bumped into So Eun once and he seriously suspected that So Eun wasn't born in the same time frame as he was.

Why hadn't they met yet?

He missed her so much, too much. The memories from the past made him much wiser than the 19 year old boy he was supposed to be, making him much similar to when he had been 1095 years old.

Daehyun sighed softly and pressed his lips together. When would he get to meet So Eun?

"Kit Kats are better than Cadbury chocolates, I tell you." Zelo argued with Himchan and Yongguk. "Kit Kats are much nicer."

"No, Cadbury chocolates." Himchan disagreed.

"Why the hell are the two of you talking about this again?" Yongguk butted in.

Daehyun ignored the entire conversation as he walked on. Just as they reached the centre of the bridge, he saw someone. Someone he had been yearning to see.

Daehyun stopped in the middle of his tracks, stilling. His jaw dropped open slightly and his actions caused her to look at him. She stopped in the middle of her sentence and also stopped walking, swallowing. Her eyes were wide, so were his, as they stared at each other in surprise and longing.

It was like time slowed down for the two of them, something that happened in dramas or fairytale but presently, it felt real. The entire world whirled around them and they didn't notice anything except each other.

"Yah So Eun do you remember what the lecturer said about-" Youngjae looked beside him and blinked. Where was she?"

He looked back and saw So Eun standing behind them, stopping in the middle of the busy bridge. He frowned. "Yah Kim So Eun, why aren't you moving your lazy ?"

But So Eun didn't seem to hear him, her eyes fixed on someone else. Jongup looked in the direction where she was looking and blinked when he saw that she had been staring at another guy. And that guy was staring back. What in the world?

All of a sudden, So Eun broke into the brightest smile imaginable and she broke into a run. The guy beamed back and opened his arms, catching So Eun soundly as she launched herself at him.

He hugged her so tightly that it must have hurt, breathing into her hair and squeezing his eyes shut. Both of them hugged each other without saying anything, not a sentence, not a word.

It was a scene of a heart-warming, painful reunion.

The scene where there were too many words to be said, accumulated through the years of waiting and longing, and when it was finally time to say them, you realized none of them mattered anymore.

He hugged her as if he was afraid she would disappear, he clutched her as if he wanted to merge their bodies into one right on the bridge. She grabbed at his shirt desperately as if there was nowhere she wanted to be right then in the world except for in his arms.

Yongguk blinked at the scene. "What the-" he frowned. "Did Daehyun get a girlfriend without us knowing?"

"No way." Himchan shook his head. "He's the male version of mary."

Daehyun finally pulled away from So Eun and tilted her head up to gaze at her. God, she still looked the same. Still so adorable and beautiful.

She was crying as she smiled up at him with the most genuine and happy smile he had ever seen her wear. He wiped away the tears with his thumb and she reached up to do the same on his cheeks. That was when he realized he had been crying as well.

The crowd passed by around them, some stared, some ignored them. But Daehyun and So Eun never noticed anything around them, not even their friends who were staring openly with their mouths agape.

So Eun sniffled softly and reached to her neck. She unhooked her silver necklace and produced two familiar looking rings.

She had kept them, through the years. How?

When she knew she was about to die in her past life, So Eun buried the rings in the soil beside an old prominent tree in the neighborhood, hoping that some way or another, she would remember the rings in her next life.

She did.

When she was merely three years old, she ran out of her house without her parents' consent and found the rings, carefully hiding their existence till now.

So Eun held them out and smiled softly at Daehyun. His eyes widened in recognition at the jewelry and he his lips which had gone dry all of a sudden. She managed to keep it till now?

Daehyun took out the rings and slipped one on his fourth finger. He took her right hand and gazed at her deeply, raising his brows questioningly. So Eun nodded eagerly and beamed, wiping the tears with her other hand.

Daehyun bit his lip to stop himself from smiling too widely and he slipped the ring onto her finger. He intertwined their hands.

So Eun fell against him once again with a soft tug on her hand and felt Daehyun cup her cheeks, tilting her head up. His lips met hers for the first time in this life and So Eun kissed him back with everything she had. His fingers were tangled in her hair and she gripped his shoulders tightly.

They finally found each other.

They weren't going to let go.

 

 

 

....

"What in the world?" Yongguk gaped. "Did Mary Daehyun just kiss a girl without even speaking a single word to her? Woah, flirting at it's highest level, seriously."

 

 

 

-----

Ahehe couldn't resist.

Hope you guys enjoyed this story! See you guys in my other fics :)