Waiting

The Man who never Dies

Daehyun's eyes shot around the room sharply, alert and focused.

A crow cawed outside and Daehyun immediately stiffened, shooting his gaze towards the window. The black bird perched itself outside the window and looked into the room, meeting Daehyun's eyes.

Daehyun felt a shiver down his spine even though the window was closed and there was no way the crow could get in.

The crow cawed one more time before flying off, leaving an unsettled Daehyun. Daehyun frowned at looked around, highly alert. He glanced down at So Eun sleeping on his lap and softened slightly, her hair.

She had finally fallen asleep even though she seemed really unsettled after it passed midnight, but Daehyun humming a lullaby seemed to have done the trick. Daehyun couldn't risk closing his eyes anymore than just mere blinking and he watched over her the entire night.

It occurred to him that it would be extremely awkward should So Eun's parents catch them in that position on his bed even though they didn't do anything, but he decided not to care.

So Eun shifted slightly on his lap and Daehyun gazed down at her tenderly. She let out a small yawn and stretched, her eyes still closed. Warm sunlight streamed into his room and onto her face, causing her to squint in displeasure.

So Eun turned around on his lap and groaned. "Bright." she muttered.

Daehyun laughed softly and caressed her face, patting her back and promptly putting her back to sleep. Let her have her rest while she could, he thought.

-----

So Eun woke up two hours later and immediately remembered where and when it was.

She stared up and saw Daehyun gazing down at her wordlessly. His eyes were wary and slightly scared at the same time, and So Eun knew she looked the same. Daehyun blinked and the look in his eyes disappeared instantly, replaced with warmth and love.

He smiled softly and So Eun smiled back. She glanced at the clock and bit her lip.

Almost time to wake up for school.

She didn't feel like getting out from the security of his blanket but she had to. So Eun wasn't the sort of person who would hide in her room when she thought something was going to happen. If she was going to die today, she would still live her life like she would every single day even though she would be frightened.

She was scared, yes. But she wasn't going to bow down.

So Eun slowly sat up and Daehyun helped her, his eyes on her face, judging her expression. So Eun leaned over to him and kissed his cheek softly. "Thanks for the rings." she whispered. "I'm going to live to hear the question tonight, I promise."

Relief flooded Daehyun's face and he broke into a smile. He pulled her towards him and kissed her soundly on the lips. "Good morning to you too." he murmured.

-----

"Happy Birthday So Eun!" Mrs Kim sang. "Here's the seaweed soup and vermicelli! Eat well and grow up healthy So Eun!" she kissed So Eun on the cheek.

So Eun smiled and hugged her mother. "Thanks so much umma. I'll eat it well." she grinned.

Mr Kim woke up earlier that day as well to eat breakfast with them. "Our So Eun is already 18 years old." he sighed softly. "One day she'll get married and have kids and WALAH, I've become a grandpa. Yeobo, I feel old." he frowned.

"Shouldn't you be celebrating how your daughter is growing and maturing instead?" Mrs Kim laughed. She looked over at Daehyun in interest and grinned slyly. "By the way Daehyun, did you get So Eun anything for her birthday?" She was thinking along the lines of accessories or bags and shoes.

So Eun's hand naturally went up to her chest and she felt the ring from under her uniform. She blushed pink and bit her lip to contain her smile. Was it too early for an eighteen year old? No, she didn't think so. She hadn't been so sure about what she felt until she met Daehyun. There was no doubt about who she wanted to spend her life with, except the decision was going to shock her parents a little.

Or maybe a lot.

Daehyun rubbed the back of his neck and he glanced at So Eun. "I...I'm giving it to her after her birthday passes." he murmured.

"Ayeee." Mr Kim frowned. "It's called a birthday present. Why can't you give it now?"

Daehyun met So Eun's eyes and cleared his throat awkwardly. "Uh..."

"The last gifts are the most special ones." Mrs Kim grinned, pleased. "Anyway, you two are going to be late for school so your dad will fetch you guys to school today so that So Eun can finish her food."

"I am?" Mr Kim echoed.

Mrs Kim rolled her eyes and slapped her husband's arm. "Yes you are."

 

 

 

 

"Happy Birthday So Eun!" a girl in class beamed at her.

So Eun nodded briefly and swallowed. She glanced around at the people around her and bit her lip, slightly cautious. Daehyun stuck close to her, eying the students that were weaving through the crowd and bumping into each other while crossing the hallway.

Could anyone of them be holding a knife secretly?

"Damn." Yongguk whispered under his breath. "It because you have no idea how it's goign to happen.There's so many ways for it to happen."

Someone walking past accidentally bumped into So Eun and all the BAP boys sprang into action. They surrounded So Eun and glared at the poor guy who dropped his book. "Be careful." Zelo warned.

Himchan frowned and growled. "Watch where you're going."

"Don't walk if you don't know how to." Yongguk spat.

Daehyun rubbed So Eun's arms and looked her up and down. "You alright?"

"Yeah, he just bumped into me. No big deal, really." she assured. She picked up the book and returned it to the young junior who seemed frightened out of his wits. He thanked her and quickly darted off without a backward glance.

"Stop making such a scene." So Eun frowned at the boys. "You guys are attracting a whole lot of attention."

"Better safe than sorry." Jongup murmured.

They got to class and tried to pay attention but none of them did. Would you be able to?

-----

The afternoon found all the BAP boys and Haerin over at So Eun's house, all of them insisting for her to stay within their sights at all times. Haerin was let into the secret because she was Jongup's girlfriend and she seemed like a nice girl. She believed every word of it and was thoroughly supportive.

In the end, Mr Kim had some urgent meeting so they weren't going to have dinner at the restaurant as planned, but Mrs Kim was going to bring the food back from the restaurant for them all.

The boys were wary about every single sound of happening the entire day, being cautious like grandmas.

They were just waiting for something strange to happen, waiting for it to occur. More than half of So Eun's birthday was gone and it meant that whatever that was to happen might occur any time. It was nerve wracking.

So Eun glanced at the clock and groaned. "Why the hell is it still 3pm. I thought it was 2:50pm like half an hour ago." she complained. "It's the first time I can't wait for my birthday to end."

"I feel bad for saying this, but me too." Youngjae admitted. He glanced at Yongguk. "Should we give it to her now?"

Yongguk shrugged. "Don't see why not."

So Eun blinked at them in confusion as Yongguk made Zelo run back to his house to get whatever they were talking about. She leaned nearer and grinned. "Is it my birthday gift?"

Daehyun smiled at her enthusiasm. *Yes, don't focus on what's going to happen. Stay happy, So Eun.* he looked around him cautiously.

"Yeah yeah." Himchan nodded. "You'll like it a whole lot, So Eun. Better thank us. I gave the idea by the way, it's all from my genius brain." he tapped his head.

So Eun guffawed. "Please."

Zelo returned with a large box and set it on the table with a large grin. "TADAA!" he beamed.

So Eun darted over to the box and touched it gingerly. "What is this, exactly?" she asked curiously. "A massive cake?"

"Was that what you wanted?" Yongguk frowned. "What a pig."

"Open it So Eun. I'm curious!" Haerin urged, smiling.

So Eun nodded and she unwrapped it carefully. Her eyes widened in surprise when she found more than a dozen photo albums inside, together with a pair of small teddy bears that were wearing a white gown and tux. There was also a cute pink polaroid camera and films to last a life time.

"What in the world." So Eun gasped when she saw the number of empty photo albums. "What am I to do with these?"

"Take pictures of course." Zelo clapped. "We're going to take a whole lot of pictures after this, every single day. We're going to store pictures of us till we're old and ugly, noona."

So Eun smiled softly. "Thanks. It's a great gift."

"Of course it is." Himchan harrumphed. "And I dumped the teddy bears in because I found them cute. You and Daehyun can put them in your house when you two get married in the future."

So Eun's eyes widened and her hand flew to the ring around her neck. "How did you know?" she blurted.

Daehyun elbowed her and pulled her back to the couch, clearing his throat. Yongguk blinked and wondered if he heard what she said correctly. So Eun reddened and bit her lip. "How did you know...I like teddy bears?" she added lamely.

"You always liked teddy bears." Jongup pointed out, not noticing her slip up.

So Eun let out a sigh of relief and only Youngjae eyed the couple suspiciously. She hugged the teddy bears and smiled at the boys. "Thanks a lot, guys. I really love the gifts." she smiled. "I'll make sure to take a gazillion pictures when ... when today ends. Right?" she beamed.

"I want to be in at least half the films alright?" Himchan demanded. "My lovely face has to be appreciated." he patted his cheeks.

"Oh bother." Yongguk rolled his eyes.

So Eun laughed along with the other boys as they joked around, trying not to remember how something might be happening in a few hours time. MAybe minutes. Maybe seconds.

Daehyun excused himself to the toilet and secretly took So Eun's phone with him again.

He hoped it would work.

 

 

----

HELLOO I'm back!! :DD

For those who read my blogpost you'd know that my lappy committed suicide even though our relationship was only for 4 months and I was devastated T.T

Turns out it wasn't the laptop that spoilt but the adapter so my laptop wasn't able to charge and it was dead on battery. HEHEHEHE OOPS.

So yay here I am again all is well! ^^