Differences

The Man who never Dies

"...and when there is injection into the economy, the entire country will benefit because of the multiplier effect." Teacher Kim smiled at the class. "The multiplier effect is the phenomenon that happens when..."

Daehyun glanced over at So Eun and saw that she was completely absorbed in the lesson. He chuckled softly at her serious expression, amused by the way her brows would furrow deeper and deeper with every sentence the teacher said.

*She's too adorable for words.* Daehyun smiled to himself.

Daehyun tapped his finger as he looked around the class. He wasn't interested in the lesson, never was, never will. Even the teacher knew that he could do nothing to interest Daehyun and had given up on it.

He noticed a couple that was sitting a few seats in front of him, glancing at each other and sharing secretive smiles. Daehyun blinked. Was he that unfocused that he never realized there was a couple in class?

Daehyun raised his brows and saw that the guy was called Lee Byunghun , also known as L.Joe, while the girl was called Choi Mihye. L.Joe glanced at Mihye secretively and grinned, tossing a paper ball to her.

Mihye blushed pink and she kept her eyes on the teacher the entire time, while her fingers busily unfolded the paper. When the teacher wasn't looking, Mihye quickly ducked her head to read the message.

She blushed pinker after that and shot L.Joe a look. L.Joe grinned and winked at her.

Mihye turned back to the whiteboard for the next few moments while Teacher Kim explained another concept. When the teacher turned around to write something again, Mihye quickly scribbled something on the piece of paper and crushed it into a ball.

She glanced at Teacher Kim again and quickly tossed the ball to L.Joe.

L.Joe smiled widely and quickly rushed to open the message.

This continued on, the process repeating and repeating. Paper ball from L.Joe to Mihye. Blush. Scribble. Paper ball from Mihye to L.Joe. Smirk. Scribble. Repeat.

Daehyun bit the insides of his cheek. *Is this how the modern day couple fool around? Don't they listen in class anymore? I remember the days when I was studying in the Silla Period. If anyone dared look away from the teacher for one second, he'll have to stand outside for the entire afternoon, holding a rock on top of his head.* he shook his head.

Daehyun snuck a peek at So Eun and grinned. He quickly tore off a piece of paper and grabbed his pen. He wrote a quick message and leaned over to So Eun's table, tucking the paper into her pencil case.

So Eun's eyes rounded in surprise and she blinked at him. She looked back at the teacher and back at him, scratching her head. "What?" she whispered.

Daehyun pointed to the piece of note, gesturing for her to read. So Eun gingerly picked at the note, glancing at the teacher frequently to check. She read the message quickly, blinking in surprise.

I noticed L.Joe and Mihye sitting in front doing this. So, is this the modern day flirting that teens are engaged in? Want to...flirt with me?

So Eun bit her lip to contain that bubble of laughter that threatened to slip through her lips. She shook her head in amusement and quickly penned down a reply.

"Want to flirt with me?" Seriously Daehyun, who in the world says that? I'm not impressed. xD

Daehyun pouted at her message.

Hey, you can't blame me. I'm probably surely older than their great great great greattttt grandparents. Shouldn't you be glad that I'm not well versed in this area?

So Eun grinned.

Well that's what you say...but who knows if you dated a few girls in between my reincarnation. *pouts*

Daehyun's eyes widened and he snapped his head towards her. He nudged her and frowned. "I didn't." he whispered.

So Eun blinked innocently, pretending not to understand. "Didn't what?"

"Date other girls between your reincarnations." Daehyun put up three fingers. "I swear." he said solemnly without a hint of joke. "I've only loved you."

So Eun melted into a puddle of honey and and smiled back warmly at him. "I believe you." she murmured.

Daehyun softened and reached out to touch her cheek, curling her hair behind her ear. They smiled at each other, completely oblivious to their surroundings.

"Ahem."

Daehyun's thumb caressed her cheek softly as he gazed deeply into her eyes.

"AHEM."

So Eun pinked and blushed. She giggled silently and beamed at him.

"AHEMMM!!!!!!"

So Eun finally tore her eyes away from Daehyun to glare at Youngjae. "Yah need a drink?" she frowned.

Youngjae rolled his eyes and pointed behind her, shaking his head. So Eun and Daehyun turned, nearly jumping out of their seats when they saw Teacher Kim standing behind them with raised brows. "AHEM." he eyed them. "It was me, I need a drink."

So Eun buried her face in her hands and groaned while Daehyun cleared his throat, embarrassed. "The two of you, detention after school today!" Teacher Kim snapped. "Making dreamy faces and sighing...what do you think you're doing? Acting in a drama?" he muttered under his brows.

-----

"This is all your fault. My perfect behavioural report will now be forever scarred by this detention." So Eun muttered under her breath.

"How is this my fault? You were a willing party." Daehyun whispered, poking her in the waist.

So Eun made a face and resumed doing her homework. The teacher in charge eyed them suspiciously, looking between them to see if they were communicating. Daehyun cleared his throat and looked out of the window, pretending to be thinking.

The teacher shrugged and continued marking her papers.

Daehyun sighed softly as he stared back at So Eun who was doing her work. Another 13 days left. 13 short days.

So far, his strategy was to prevent So Eun from falling in love with him so that she wouldn't do anything silly on her birthday. It failed.

So what made this time different from the other times? What made it different to enable him to save her, breaking out of the curse as compared to the previous times?

What, exactly?

Daehyun sighed deeply, rubbing his temples. He watched So Eun concentrate in her work and noticed how she would cross and uncross her legs frequently when she didn't know how to do a question.

He softened. She had the same habit in the past when she was troubled or confused.

When So Eun started thinking about something, she had the tendency to twirl a lock of hair round her fingers while biting on her lips.

Daehyun chuckled. That was the same as well.

He began forming a list of the things similar and different for this So Eun and the past So Euns.

He continued on until the end of detention and they were finally let off to go. So Eun kept her stuff and glanced at him. "Did you finish the essay?"

"What essay?" Daehyun looked confused.

So Eun frowned at him. "The Economics essay! Wasn't that what you were doing just now?" she leaned over. "What were you writing in such concentration if that wasn't what you were...eh?" she picked up the paper. "Differences and similarities between Kim So Eun of 2013 and the past." she read.

"Ooh!" she grinned, interested. "You made a list like this?"

"Yah give me that." Daehyun moved to make a grab for it and So Eun ran away. "Aww why are you shy all of a sudden? Let me read this!" So Eun laughed.

"Similarity: Both like to cross and uncross their legs when they're troubled or confused." So Eun scratched her head. "I do that?"

"Yah let's just go home, alright?" Daehyun tried to grab the paper back and So Eun moved out of his reach.

"Similarity: Both twirl their hair on their finger when they're thinking. Hm, yeah I do that. Didn't think you'd notice." she eyed him teasingly. Daehyun reddened. "Yah."

"Differences: Past So Eun wouldn't dare say she loves me even if I threaten her with death. To think So Eun 2013 actually confessed out of her own accord. Feels good." So Eun scowled at him. "Yah."

"What? That's true." Daehyun cleared his throat.

So Eun made a face and continued reading. "Differences: Past So Eun had a weaker constitution and didn't go out in the sun much. So Eun 2013 punches like a man." So Eun's jaw dropped and she punched Daehyun's arm. "Yah Jung Daehyun!"

"This is true too!" Daehyun defended, rubbing his arm.

So Eun huffed and continued reading. "Similarities: Both are clever and witty....more than me, at least." she finally grinned. "NOW you're making sense."

"Why don't we go for ice cream?" Daehyun tried to drag So Eun away. "Catch a movie, why don't we?"

"Similarity." So Eun ignored him. "Both are equally adorable."

She glanced at Daehyun, smiling. He avoided her gaze, suddenly interested in the ceiling lights.

"Similarity." So Eun murmured, her voice softer now. "Both are equally beautiful, equally likable, equally attractive. Both are amazing." she bit her lip to contain her smile.

Daehyun turned away, his face red. Damn, he shouldn't have written that.

So Eun read the last line. "Similarity...Kim So Eun of the past or Kim So Eun 2013...I still love her with all my heart." she glanced up at Daehyun, smiling softly. "Awww..."

Daehyun groaned and grabbed his bag. "Aish, if you aren't going, I will." he strode out of the door.

So Eun quickly followed after him, smiling wider than she thought imaginable. "Yah! Wait for me!" she grinned. "Didn't you just bare your soul to me? Aren't you gonna wait to see my reaction or anything?"

"Aish just stop talking." Daehyun poked her forehead, his cheeks still red. He looked away from her and strode on quickly. "You're so noisy."

So Eun giggled and hugged his arm. He didn't shake her away.

"You know, even if I don't remember what happened in all those other lives," So Eun murmured. "There's one thing I'm absolutely sure of."

Daehyun looked down at her curiously. "What's that?"

So Eun beamed up at him. "That I loved you every single time as well."