I'm Sorry

The Man who never Dies

Flashes of the past flew through Daehyun's mind as he gaped at So Eun.

How she died the first time. The second time. The third. How she had sacrificed herself for him every single time because that darn Hong Yu would always do everything he could to sabotage his life as well as So Eun's at the last few crucial minutes of May 16th. So Eun would always be afraid that something would happen to him at those few minutes and she chose to sacrifice herself such that he could stay immortal till her next reincarnation.

He had done everything he could to make sure she didn't fall for him this time. He did...right?

Daehyun had been as cold as he could, as heartless, as nonchalant as he could possibly be. He knew he had his laspes where his emotions leaked out of their own accord, however he had tried to control as best as he could as well.

How could she fall for him after all this? Was she blind or something? There were so many better guys than her, why did she have to choose him again!

Daehyun turned away from her, swallowing hard. "You can't." he muttered in a low voice. "I already have Sohyun."

"I know." So Eun croaked, hurt by his answer. She knew he loved someone else but still, hearing it again like this was harsh.

"You can't love me, Kim So Eun." Daehyun whispered. "It's the worst thing you've done in your life." With that, he strode out of her room and slammed the door behind him.

So Eun jumped at the sound and bit her lip, tears welling in her eyes. She slowly crouched on the ground, hugging her knees as she sobbed softly, clutching her heart with one hand. Could it hurt any more than this?

So Eun never felt anything more painful than being rejected and cast aside like this, and it wasn't even a physical pain. It hurt more than when she fell down at the park when she was learning how to ride a bike when she was five. More then when Yongguk accidentally bumped into her and she rolled down a slope, fracturing her ankle when she was ten.

"I must love him a lot huh." So Eun laughed bitterly as she cried.

 

 

 

So Eun gazed at Daehyun sadly. He didn't even grunt a reply when she chirped good morning or look her way.

The Daehyun that day was much colder than So Eun was used to. Even her parents were a little stunned at how rude he was when he ignored Mrs Kim when she talked to him. He seemed to be bent on being mean and icy, even more than before.

Daehyun stormed out of the house with his bag first before So Eun had even had a chance to grab her toast, slamming the door. So Eun sighed softly as he went, biting her lips. Mr Kim frowned and scratched his head. "Did something happen? Daehyun's behaving weirdly today."

Mrs Kim looked at So Eun for answers and So Eun just shrugged. "Molla." she murmured dispiritedly.

She grabbed her toast and trudged out of the house with heavy steps. It hurt much more when she was rejected by Daehyun because he was staying in the same hosue as she was. Every single moment she thought about him, she could almost feel his presence in the room next to hers.

If she was rejected, she could have avoided him easily if she just went to school earlier or changed her classes if they didn't live together.

But So Eun didn't want to avoid him, because she wasn't ashamed of her feelings and if she already knew that since he didn't love her back, she wanted to continue being friends with him.

She waved goodbye to her parents lethargically and went off. When she got outside, she only saw five of the BAP boys who looked puzzled and confused. She followed the direction of their gaze and realized they were staring at Daehyun who had gone off without them.

Daehyun seemed to be walking as quickly as he could, as if he couldn't stand being near this area with them.

"Oh you're here." Himchan noticed So Eun. He jerked his thumb in Daehyun's direction. "Did something happen to him? He's acting like he's going through menopause."

"How would you know how someone undergoing menopause would act?" Yongguk's face contorted. "Unless you're going through it too." he pointed.

"Excuse me?" Himchan flicked his hair. "I'm only several months older than Zelo here and he's like undergoing puberty." Zelo's eyes widened and he whined. "HYUNG!" "And besides," Himchan ignored Zelo. "Yongguk, you're older than me. Which means if I'm going through menopause, you've already passed it."

Yongguk scowled.

"Anyway," Jongup looked up from his phone after he finished texting Haerin. "What happened to Daehyun hyung? He was scowling and he didn't bother waiting for us."

"I don't know." So Eun shrugged, trying not to let the hurt show. "Maybe Himchan's right, menopause?" she joked.

Youngjae frowned slightly and he tried to catch So Eun's eyes. She looked away and wringed her fingers as she fell in step with the rest of them. Youngjae studied her with slight worry and glanced back at where Daehyun had gone. He was already out of sight.

Youngjae tapped his chin deep in thought. Something else must have happened the previous night.

 

 

 

"I confessed to Daehyun last night."

"WHATTT??? Kim So Eun, you? My word, I never thought you had it in you, you impress me. How did you say it? Exact wording please, this is too interesting to miss."

"I don't care how I said it, all I know is that I'm rejected."

"..."

"He said I can't love him because he already has Sohyun. He said falling in love with him was the worst thing I had done in my life."

"He seriously said that?"

"What do you think, that I'd imagine such scenarios myself? Yoo Youngjae, I shouldn't have told you! You don't know how to comfort a girl at all."

*mumbles* "Couldn't tell you were one."

"SEEE!!!!"

"I'm sorry alright! Do you want me to bash him into bits or something? He was a little too harsh on you, to be honest. I knew Daehyun was a cold mean bastard but even this is out of his level."

"No, don't do anything to him. It's my fault for falling for him. I just wish it didn't hurt so much." *sniffles*

*awkward* "Do you...do you want a hug?"

"YOO YOUNGJAE! You really at comforting someone you know!"

Yeah, but in the end he still got to know what happened. Youngjae was determined to question Daehyun on this and he stormed over to Daehyun once it was break time. He pulled Daehyun away from the group, crapping up some excuse and dragged Daehyun to a corner.

Daehyun eyed Youngjae. "She told you."

"Yes." Youngjae crossed his arms. "I might not see So Eun in that way, but I still know she's a nice attractive girl. She's like my little sister and it angers me when someone treats my sister like ." he narrowed his eyes at Daehyun. "That was what you did, you know? Treat her like ."

Daehyun looked away. "I didn't ask for her to fall for me. She shouldn't have."

"You think it was under her control?" Youngjae snapped. "You think the second in school Kim So Eun would have chosen to fall in love with you if she knew you already had Kim Sohyun? Did you really think she was that stupid?"

Daehyun snapped his head to look at Youngjae in shock. "You know-" he whispered.

"Yes." Youngjae pressed his lips in a straight line. "And honestly I sympathize with you as well. Should have known you were a thousand year old man," Daehyun glared at him. "I mean, you do act like an old man at times. Who the hell doesn't know how to use a calculator, you tell me?" Youngjae continued. "But really, did you have to turn So Eun down in such a mean manner?"

"She shouldn't love me, not even like me." Daehyun growled, clenching his fists. "She should just forget me, alright? I'm not interested in dating, isn't it right of me to not mislead her?"

"Being clear is different from being mean." Youngjae sighed. "But it seems I can't really convince you of anything. But I'm still curious," he leaned nearer to Daehyun. "You really don't feel anything for So Eun?"

Daehyun rolled his eyes and punched Youngjae's arm. He strode away, leaving Youngjae pouting while massaging his sore area.

Youngjae twisted his lips and clicked his tongue. "He never said no."

 

 

 

"Daehyun, I bought some brownies after school. Do you want some?" So Eun poked her head into Daehyun's room and smiled.

Daehyun didn't even lift his head to look at her as he resumed reading his book. "No. And why didn't you knock?"

So Eun bit her lip. "I...I forgot. Sorry." she squeaked. She looked down at the brownies and sighed softly. "You really don't want the brownies? They're really good I promise. I've visited this bakery since I was young and they sell the best-"

"No." Daehyun snapped, annoyed.

So Eun ducked her head immediately. "Sorry." she gave him one last meaningful glance before backing away meekly. She stared at the brownie in her hands and bit her lip. "Guess I'll eat two then."

Daehyun slowly looked up from his book and stared at the door, his heart thudding quickly. He sighed and looked up at the ceiling, feeling desperate.

He waited a while until he saw the lights go out in So Eun's room. He waited a safe period of time till he was sure So Eun was asleep before slipping into her room.

He carefully crept over to her bed, watching her for a bit to make sure she was sleeping. She was. Soundly so.

Daehyun sat next to her bed and smoothed out her hair on her pillow. Under the moonlight, Daehyun could see the faint tear stains on So Eun's cheek and her slightly puffy eyes.

He made her cry. Again.

Daehyun ran his fingers through her hair and wiped away her tear stains as best as he could. He sighed softly at her miserable state which was ultimately his cause.

"I'm sorry." Daehyun murmured, kissing her cheek. "I really am, love."