Missing Pieces

The Man who never Dies

So Eun and Minkyu walked towards her house in absolute awkward silence. So Eun bit her lip, completely absorbed in her thoughts. Minkyu was absorbed in his, but he glanced at her once in a while.

They kept a five inch distance between them at all times and didn't look at each other.

The long walk finally ended when Minkyu saw So Eun back to the front of her door. He stopped in front of her and rubbed the back of his neck. "So Uhm..."

So Eun shuffled on the spot and her lips nervously. "I'm sorry for wasting your time today, Minkyu sshi." She was genuinely apologetic. She only accepted the date because she wanted to use Minkyu as a distraction from her feelings for Daehyun. She shouldn't have done that.

"I can't blame you if you don't feel the same way as I do." Minkyu shrugged good naturedly. "I'm just sorry it wasn't me you were thinking of."

"Eh?" So Eun blinked at him in surprise.

Minkyu smiled. "You were right? I figured. The entire day you were with me, it seemed as if your mind wasn't in it. Like you were thinking of someone else." He sighed softly. "That guy must be lucky."

So Eun thought of Daehyun and shrugged bitterly. She forced a smile and she hugged Minkyu once. "I'm really sorry for giving you hope, Minkyu sshi."

"It's okay." He hugged her back and ruffled her hair. "At least I got to go on a date with you. Stay happy So Eun sshi."

"You too." So Eun waved. She gave Minkyu one last smile as she went into the house. Once the door was shut, her smile immediately disappeared and she slumped lethargically.

So Eun trudged up to her room and shut the door, going for her bed immediately and diving under the covers.

It was stuffy and dark under the blankets but it provided one tenth of the warmth So Eun was craving for right then. Before she knew what was happening, So Eun started crying.

She hugged herself tight, rolling into a ball on her bed.

"Why must I fall for Daehyun?" She whispered desperately. "He doesn't like me back, he will never like me back. Kim So Eun, you're so stupid."

She rubbed at her eyes desperately and sniffled. She felt empty inside with the realization that she loved Daehyun, because before she even tried getting him to like her back, she knew she would have failed.

This wasn't just a case of falling for someone who already had a girlfriend. Not even crushing on a married man, not even that.

She had fallen in love with the most devoted man on earth, the man who had loved his fiancé for more than a thousand years. Of every single male that had lived on planet earth since the beginning of time, Jung Daehyun seemed to be the least possible person to have a change of heart.

Without doubt, So Eun's feelings for Daehyun would be undeniably unreturned. Falling for someone like that would only be seeking for her heart to be broken.

And now even though she just realized she had started loving Daehyun without her own knowing, she already felt the stabs of pain.

-----

Daehyun closed the front door behind him and looked around. Where was So Eun?

The BAP boys had continued their stalking activities until So Eun and Minkyu's date suddenly ended. So Eun said something and instantly, the two didn't talk anymore. After the silent meal, the two immediately left for home.

Daehyun witnessed the hug So Eun gave Minkyu and he had used every ounce of tolerance he had to not storm up there immediately to tear Minkyu away.

He wondered of this meant So Eun and Minkyu were officially dating. But if so, why did the date end so abruptly? He didn't get it, and he was honestly worried. He would kill that Kim Minkyu if he dared hurt So Eun in any way.

Daehyun strode up the stairs and lingered outside So Eun's room. Was she inside?

Daehyun raised his hands to knock on her door when he heard a sound from inside. Specifically, sniffling. Soft sobbing.

Daehyun's eyes widened and his hand immediately flew to the doorknob, turning it open. He flung the door open and felt his blood run cold when he saw So Eun lying in a heap on her bed, shivering while she sobbed.

"So Eun!" Daehyun gasped, striding over to the bed on two steps. He sat by her bed and shook her shivering form. "What happened?"

Daehyun tried to remove the blankets from So Eun's head but she clutched it tightly, shaking her head. "Leave me alone." She croaked.

Daehyun bit his lip, sighing. What happened exactly? She wasn't breaking down when he saw her hugging Minkyu downstairs. What caused her to break down now just few minutes later?

"Okay I won't remove the blanket." Daehyun relented, earning a sigh of relief from So Eun. She wasn't prepared to see him yet, and just how he was sitting on her bed next to her was bad enough.

"Can you tell me what happened?" Daehyun asked softly, rubbing her back. "Or um...if not me, should I call the other boys? Youngjae?" He just hoped for her to spill.

So Eun shook her head. "It's okay, I'm fine by myself." Her voice sounded muffled through the sheets.

"So Eun...." Daehyun frowned. "Did Kim Minkyu do anything to hurt you? Should I tell the others and we'll bash him up?" He offered readily, almost getting up.

"No!" So Eun shrieked. "Don't do anything to Minkyu sshi. He didn't hurt me, I hurt him. I rejected him after giving him hope, I was the one who did him wrong." She murmured.

Daehyun blinked. So that was why she hugged Minkyu just now? Because she felt guilty?

He couldn't help but let out a sigh of relief.

"So if that's not why you're crying, what is it?" Daehyun probed, gazing at the heap on the bed. He rubbed her arm and sighed softly. "Please tell me?" He whispered.

"I don't want to." So Eun closed her eyes and tears spilled again. Why must he show concern when he was supposed to be an ice man? Why couldn't he continue to be emotionless and heartless in her eyes?

"If you're not going to tell me, I'll call Himchan or Yongguk here." Daehyun threatened. "You know they'll force the truth out of you better than me right?"

So Eun would gladly face Himchan or Yongguk compared to Daehyun. However she also knew that Daehyun wouldn't give up if he wanted to know what happened to her and she had to give an answer somehow.

"I..." So Eun whispered, biting her lips hard. "Got my heart broken today."

Daehyun froze by the bed. Heart...broken?

To have her heart broken, she had to love someone first right? Just who...? Daehyun cringed, feeling the squirm in his tummy.

"By Minkyu?" Daehyun questioned. "Who?" He pressed on urgently. He would kill that guy if possible.

*By you.* So Eun buried her face in her pillow. "I don't want to talk about it. It's my fault for falling for someone who already has a lover." So Eun swallowed. "Please leave me alone for tonight, Daehyun. Please?" She pleaded softly.

Daehyun sighed and touched the back of her head. "Fine." He murmured. "Call me if you need anything."

He backed away reluctantly and gazed at her for a while before shutting the door. He stared at her closed door for a long time, biting he lip.

Someone had managed to catch So Eun's heart without his knowing, so much that he managed to make her cry. That someone already had someone he loved, apparently, and that was why So Eun was crying.

Daehyun closed his eyes and sighed deeply.

Inside, he was crying along with her.







"Youngjae? Can you come over for a bit?"

Youngjae met Daehyun's eyes and made sure he didn't give off anything. Daehyun looked surprised to see Youngjae standing at the Kim family door step. "Youngjae. Something up?"

"Yeah but," Youngjae looked behind Daehyun. "Is So Eun around?"

Daehyun's face fell and he nodded. "Yeah. She's in her room." He backed behind to let Youngjae in. Youngjae nodded, eying Daehyun cautiously. "Did something happen?"

"Did she ask you over?" Daehyun asked, frowning. Youngjae nodded, thumping his own chest. "I'm her best friend aren't I? So well, I'm assuming something happened. Do you know what?"

Daehyun nodded, pouring himself a drink. He offered Youngjae some but the latter shook his head. "She says...that she got her heart broken today. But a guy who already has a lover." Daehyun's eyes dimmed.

Youngjae's eyes widened. He frowned at Daehyun, not making sense of everything thing. "Wait, she says the guy she likes already has someone else he loves?"

"Yeah." Daehyun nodded, gazing at the ground. He didn't know why it hurt so much when he knew it was for the greater good that So Eun was in love with someone else. Why couldn't he listen to his brain more than his heart?

Youngjae frowned and scratched his head. Wait, didn't So Eun like Daehyun? That was his ingenious deduction and he couldn't be wrong.

And Daehyun most definitely liked So Eun as well. So what in the world was wrong??

"AISH, I'll ask her myself." Youngjae his heel and strode up to So Eun's room. Daehyun watched him with slight irritation and jealousy. To think that So Eun asked another guy over when she needed a shoulder to cry on.

He sighed and raked his fingers through his hair. If only he knew the only reason why she couldn't cry on his shoulder was because he was why there were tears in the first place.

-----

"So." Youngjae cocked his head to the side and gazed at So Eun who was sitting on her bed, wrapped with her blanket. Her eyes were puffy and her nose was red. It wasn't a surprise that she had been crying for a long time.

So Eun sighed and stared at the ground, biting her lip.

"Care to tell me what's happening?" Youngjae stared at her. "I'm used to the witty snarky So Eun, not at all used to seeing my best friend crying over love." He twisted his lip thoughtfully. "Care to explain what's this I hear from Daehyun that you broke your heart today? Something about you falling for a guy who already has someone he loves?"

So Eun glanced at the door and gestured for Youngjae to lock it. Youngjae sighed and did as he was ordered to, turning back to her with questioning brows.

So Eun hugged herself and puffed her cheeks. "You're right. I was stupid enough to fall for someone who already has someone he loves. I knew he already loved someone else, so when I was on a date today and I realized I love him....it really hurt." She whispered. "Because I know I lost before I even began."

Youngjae frowned. "Yes, that. Care to explain that again?" He tapped his chin. "How in the world would you get your heart broken if he loves you back? The one you're talking about is Daehyun isn't it?"

So Eun's eyes widened. "How did you know!" She hissed, glancing at the door.

"I'm not the first in school for nothing." Youngjae grinned. He frowned there after and scratched his head. "Wait, if you really do love Daehyun....you mean Daehyun loves someone else?" He raised his eyes so high that his brow nearly reached his hairline. "Who!"

So Eun stared at her bedsheet's patterns.

"Kim So Eun..." Youngjae warned.

"I can't tell you!" So Eun whined. "It's not my story to tell!!"

"So you know about Daehyun's past?" Youngjae asked, even more interested. "Yah. Why on earth did you ask me over if you're not telling me anything? How am I supposed to comfort you if I don't know anything?"

"But..." So Eun clutched her bedsheets.

"I promise I won't tell anyone." Youngjae bargained. "Please?"

So Eun met Youngjae's gaze and nodded. "Fine."

....

"So you mean...Daehyun is 1095 years old." Youngjae summarized. "He has to save his fiancé from dying and her name is Kim Sohyun. He can't die even if he tries and he never ages. Did I get all that right?"

So Eun nodded, sniffling again. Le sigh. Now that she repeated the story again, she was reminded of how much love Daehyun had for Sohyun and it hurt her badly.

Youngjae stared at So Eun for a bit, twisting his lips. "If the story wasn't told by the logical you, I wouldn't have believed it."

So Eun sighed and shrugged. "So now you know why I'm crying? Daehyun has loved Sohyun for more than a thousand years. I can't beat that ever." She murmured. "Why must I love him?"

Youngjae tapped his chin, pacing around the room. "Something doesn't feel right here. I thought Daehyun loved you? So why is there a Kim Sohyun all of a sudden?" He murmured under his breath.

So Eun looked at him distractedly. "What did you say?"

Youngjae turned to So Eun with a firm expression. "I'm very very sure he's hiding something else from you, and that thing is definitely the most important part of everything."