Cafeteria Incident

The Man who never Dies

Daehyun watched So Eun from the corner of his eye discreetly as she walked out of the gates with the rest of the BAP boys. His eyes followed wherever she went, noticing little things that no one would have known. Maybe not even herself.

He noticed how she liked to tuck her hair behind her ears really frequently when she got irritated when solving a math problem.

He noticed how she liked to swing her legs whenever she sat down on a chair that was too high for her feet to reach the ground, which was pretty frequently because So Eun wasn't very tall.

He noticed how she would pick out all the strips of carrot from her lunch before eating, a similar trait to the original So Eun a thousand years back.

And he also noticed how she didn't like him very much. Apparently his Make-So-Eun-Hate-Him plan was working extremely well and he caught her frowning at him every so often.

And to be completely honest, it kind of hurt.

To have the one you love looking at you with that sort of disdain in their eyes wasn't something that one enjoyed looking at. Daehyun nearly flinched but he controlled his expressions with his thousand year patience. Of course he could tolerate all this, the final reward was seeing So Eun living past 18 and growing into a wonderful successful and happy woman.

What better reward would there be?

Daehyun let out a small sigh and bit his lip as he slung his bag on his shoulders, trudging out of school. He saw her walking far ahead with the BAP boys, the six of them making an awful lot of noise wherever they went.

Daehyun watched her with a small smile. Watching her was enough.

Because that was all he had right now.

 

 

 

"That guy is horrible." Yongguk frowned. "How can he talk to Himchan like that? Even though I admit, I talk worse-"

"Totally. At least he knows." Youngjae rolled his eyes and exclaimed.

"-but we're friends! Close friends! It's okay." Yongguk continued. "But he just met us and he's being so rude. I wonder if he'll ever even get a friend for his time here in Kyungnam."

So Eun tapped her chin. Truthfully, even if the BAP boys weren't complaining about Daehyun the whole way home, he would have been on her mind anyhow. That guy had this thing about him that was slightly familiar but at the same time foreign. A very different feel to him.

So Eun's curiosity was spiked, and for the first time, because of a guy.

He was so cold, so icy. The ice prince, really. But So Eun was really really curious as to what this ice prince was thinking in his mind. His logic, this train of thoughts. What sort of things were running through his mind when he said what he said?

"You're blanking out." Jongup nudged her, raising her brows questioningly. "You alright?"

So Eun smiled and nodded. "Yeah, just thinking. That Jung Daehyun was really weird. He didn't move an single inch throughout the two hour period you know." she twisted her lips. "It was really strange. Besides blinking and breathing, his entire body was frozen."

"That sounds something like an Edward Cullen." Zelo scratched his head. Youngjae threw a horrified glance at the maknae. "How do you know? You read the sparkly tinklebell guy stuff?"

Zelo gave a small grin. "Nope. But Noona forced me to watch it with her, the first of the saga remember? When all of you didn't want to go with her, I did." he pouted.

So Eun laughed and nodded. "Oh I remember! Zelo hadn't even read the book yet and I told him the flim was about vampires. So he was really excited to see the fighting and blood and violence and when Edward said "I'm going to show you who I really am" he thought there would be fangs and blood and just...gore but-" she laughed, clutching her tummy at the memory.

Zelo gave a bored look and blew his bangs. "He glittered under the sun." he told them flatly. "I'm sorry but this vampire doesn't click with me."

"Hey do you think this Daehyun might be a vampire too?" Himchan asked, his eyes twinkling. "So he's the vampire and he is actually attracted to a certain girl's scent. That's why he was sitting so still. And the only girl around his area was...."

The boys all looked at So Eun. She blinked and darted her eyes back and forth between them. "What?"

"You!" They all pointed at her. "Maybe Daehyun is Edward and you're Bella!" Himchan clapped, proud of his ingenious intepretation. So Eun rolled her eyes and laughed softly. "Seriously, vampires? And besides, I'm not the cheating type."

"Whatever." Yongguk muttered, not amused. He eyed So Eun. "And you, the girl."

So Eun's face contorted. "Yes, cannibal?"

"Hah good one." Youngjae laughed softly.

Yongguk ignored his comment, his face stern. He obviously took the whole Edward-Bella, Daehyun-So Eun thing very seriously because these were his next words. "I have to warn you, Kim So Eun. Don't you ever be charmed by his good looks. He looks just a tinsy bit better than me, but that Jung Daehyun isn't very good looking actually. Honest."

So Eun smiled in amusement. What a lie.

"And he's obviously not a very good person either. So don't you go mixing around with him." Yongguk wagged his finger. "I'll chop off his head and yours together."

"Neh appa." So Eun nodded obediently. But despite her words, she knew very well that if Daehyun actually talked to her once, she would definitely reply.

Even if she knew he was trouble, she would seek him. And she didn't know why.

 

 

 

The next day, the entire female population in the school were already notified of the new hottie that had enrolled in Kyungnam. Those who were unaware the previous day were now bouncing in anticipation for Daehyun to arrive as they found out about him from the other girls who saw him.

Daehyun even trended on twitter the previous night because so many girls were talking about him and the guy himself had no idea all these were happening.

The ice prince image of his was appealing to a lot of people very quickly, and all the girls hoped that they would be the one that could melt this ice prince's heart.

Little did they know that it had already melted, a thousand years ago.

Daehyun strolled into school, his hands in his pockets again. He eyed the girls who were absolutely beaming at him with the most brilliant smiles on their faces and he flinched, looking at the ground and avoiding their gazes.

*Girls in these age behave really weirdly indeed.* he thought to himself. *In fact, females are behaving weirdly as time passes. I remember the time when I was shocked when girls wore pants above their knees. Look at the short shorts nowadays.*

"Daehyun oppa, I was wondering if I could have your phone number?" a brave girl came up to him. "You can call me if you need anything and I'll be happy to help you settle in Kyungnam!" she offered.

She was actually quite cute, really. Better than an average korean girl, pretty decent looking. But Daehyun didn't spare her a glance and just walked off, his expression never changing from his poker one.

The girl's face fell and her friends crowded around her. "Don't be sad. Try again later!" they cheered.

"Oh look at him." Yongguk muttered, frowning. The BAP boys and So Eun were at their lockers, getting their books. Daehyun walked past them, his gaze not settling on anyone of them. He deliberately avoided So Eun's eyes, knowing that his emotions could show if he didn't guard them well enough.

"I don't get it, why do the girls like him so much anyway?" Yongguk frowned.

"If I didn't know better, I'd think you were jealous, hyung." Youngjae snickered. "He is handsome. You can't deny it even though he was an yesterday."

Yongguk muttered under his breath and got out his books. Jongup blinked at where Daehyun went and nodded. "He is handsome."

"See? Even Jongup agrees." Youngjae high-fived Mr Nice. "But really, girls like ice princes and bad boys. It's this odd concept of theirs. Hyung if you want more girls to like you, all you have to do is behave like Daehyun and you'll get their support."

"I never said I wanted support! Are you implying that I'm jealous?" Yongguk frowned.

"He actually did say you were." Himchan pointed out. "Did you forget already, old one?"

"Yah!" Yongguk boomed. He had a low voice and everything, but some times when faced with the witty one like Youngjae, he really didn't have much comebacks. So Eun just smiled softly as she looked at where Daehyun went.

*Mysterious.* she bit her lip.

-----

So Eun didn't know if she was hallucinating or thinking too much.

However, there was this nagging feeling right inside of her that told her Daehyun was looking at her. Crazy right? Why in the world would he look at her?

But So Eun felt it. The sixth sense or whatever.

Whenever she looked at Daehyun, he would be looking away or minding his own business but when she turned, she had that feeling that he was keeping an eye on her. Like he was very aware of her movements and what she did.

Which was bull because why would he take notice of her when he had so many girls after him?

So Eun scratched her head, confused. "I'll go throw my rubbish." she told the BAP boys. They were in the cafeteria and So Eun finished her lunch. Jongup nodded as a reply and she got out of her chair, walking to the rubbish bin.

She glanced at Daehyun sitting a few tables away and saw that he wasn't looking at her, but she had that odd feeling that he had been just moments before.

*Kim So Eun, you're really thinking too much.* So Eun knocked her own head. *It's just Jung Daehyun. You actually forgot to copy notes because of that guy. So stop before you forget to bring your textbooks.* she shuddered at the awful thought.

Because she was so absorbed in her thoughts, she didn't notice one of the ahjusshi's that ran one of the stalls in the cafeteria, holding a tall stack of plates and walking towards her. Students saw him coming and they all moved away to let him past. Only So Eun didn't because she didn't notice.

So Eun only realized what was happening when it was too late.

She let out a gasp when she came face to face with the tall towering stack of plates and the ahjusshi halted in his steps, shocked that there was someone in front of him.

The plates wobbled and threatened to tip, and So Eun squeezed her eyes shut, waiting for the impact.

CLASH! BANG! CRASH!

The plates fell on the ground, and so did So Eun.

Except she didn't feel any of the plates on her, but rather, a weight pressed on her body and a light panting breath by her neck, heaving hot air and tickling her skin.

She opened her eyes, confused. She saw that the plates were all around her, thankfully not broken because they were plastic, and the ahjusshi looking at her with wide eyes. "Are you okay?" he asked in concern.

And then she lowered her gaze, only to meet Daehyun's and realizing that she was trapped under his body while his took the impact of the falling plates. He had pushed her away.

He had saved her.