The Past

The Man who never Dies

"Kim...Sohyun?" So Eun let out a breath. She didn't know why she almost wanted Daehyun to say her name instead.

Daehyun avoided her gaze as he nodded. "Yeah. Kim Sohyun." he bit his lip.

So Eun gazed at Daehyun, frowning slightly. The thought that he had a fiance in the past didn't click well with her, surprisingly.

"So E..Hyun and I," Daehyun continued. "We were very in love. The first time I saw her was in the market and she caught my eye." Daehyun looked at her tenderly, remembering the first time he saw her. "I'm not sure if it was love at first sight, but I was attracted to her, definitely."

So Eun nodded, urging for him to continue.

"And then I started pinning for a girl I didn't know, I went to the market a lot of times in hope of bumping to her again." Daehyun murmured. "And then fate allowed us to meet, again. At my residence." he watched for her reaction, almost as if he wanted her to remember that happening. "Her parents were friends with mine and we got introduced officially. That was when I knew she was a part of my life, and I couldn't do anything to change it."

So Eun swallowed. She wasn't used to Daehyun expressing his feelings so obviously, much less him talking about another girl. She wasn't even used to Daehyun talking in paragraphs.

Daehyun bit his lip. "At that time, we were going through the change from the Silla period to the Goryeo Dynasty. As you remember from History, Taejo Wang Geon was the founder of the Goryeo Dynasty. Queen Jinsung didn't have much means against the rebels and Gung Ye and Gyeon Hwon were amongst the rebels who defeated and absorbed much of the other rebellion groups. Taejo Wang Geon's father was one of the rebels and that was how Taejo rose to power."

"Yeah, I kinda remember." So Eun nodded.

"My turning into someone like this is related to the rebellion." Daehyun sighed softly. "It happened when Gung Ye was the king. You remember our history project? Gung Ye was a cruel king and killed his two kids and own wife. He referred himself as the Buddha and killed anyone who opposed his religious beliefs. His rules were harsh and his rituals were extremely costly. When we lived under his rule, everything was hard, my parents told me."

"And then?" So Eun leaned forward.

"And then four generals decided to overthrow Gung Ye's rule, Hong Yu, Bae Hyeongyeong, Shin Sung-gyeom and Bok Jigyeom. They wanted to help Taejo up to the king's post. And then Hong Yu got scared."

 


THE PAST

"You know what I heard from the court?" Daehyun's father told the family excitedly. "I heard that they are planning to kill Gung Ye and help Taejo up to become Emperor. Isn't that great news?"

"That's excellent!" Lady Jung nodded. "Gung Ye's too harsh on us." she sighed and rubbed her temples. "Every time we see him we have to bow to him as if he really was the Buddha. It's getting tiring."

Daehyun gazed at his father thoughtfully. "How are they planning to overthrow Gung Ye?"

"He likes to go hunting once in a while. At those times, he will be alone with a horse while he hunts in the forest." Minister Jung nodded. "And then they'll make the move. What the other officals are trying to do now is to plan for the actual process."

Minister Jung smiled. "All we have to do is to support Taejo right now."

-----

"Daehyun." So Eun brightened when she saw him. "Have you heard?"

"Yeah." Daehyun settled down beside her and smiled. "Although I really hope it's going to be alright. Your father will play an important role won't he? He's the military officer after all." So Eun nodded. "Yeah he's going to be real busy."

"But I've met Taejo once, Daehyun." So Eun tapped her chin. "He was going to talk to Abeoji for some things but Abeoji got delayed and I was supposed to entertain him. He was really nice you know, treated me like a real lady even though I was only fifteen at that time."

Daehyun chuckled and poked her cheek. "A lady? Don't I treat you like one?"

So Eun made a face. "Hm..."

"Yah." Daehyun poked her cheek again. So Eun laughed and propped her chin up with her elbow. "It's true you don't treat me like a lady. And I don't want you treating me like one either, because you treat all girls like ladies." she grinned. "I want you to treat me special."

Daehyun laughed and tugged on her hair. "Aigoo."

So Eun smiled and fed him a dried persimmon. "But really, I really hope they overthrow Gung Ye soon and we can have peace again. I'm tired of this mess." she pouted.

"Yeah." Daehyun nodded. "I can't wait till we can get married." he nodded innocently. "The mess keeps making us postpone our marriage."

So Eun pinked and slapped his arm lightly. "Daehyun!"

-----

Hong Yu swallowed as he bowed in front of Gung Ye. "Sir, you called for me?"

Gung Ye nodded, not looking at him. He cocked his head high and walked around with his hands behind his back. "Yes. How's life nowadays, Hong Yu?"

Hong Yu froze. , things didn't look good when Gung Ye started things off like this. It was a storm brewing and waiting to occur, no, a hurricane, tornado.

"U-Uhm." Hong Yu stuttered fearfully. "Fine."

"How's your wife? How about your son? I heard he's real good with his sword, am I right?" Gung Ye asked. "Bring him to me and let us see his sword fighting skills some time."

"Yes, sir." Hong Yu bowed, his heart thudding hard.

Gung Ye turned his back to Hong Yu. "Are you happy with your life right now, Hong Yu? How would you feel if I offered you a higher position than the one you hold right now, give you enough wealth to last your family a few generations? How do you feel about it?"

"T-That would be amazing, s-sir." Hong Yu swallowed.

"Then what is this I hear about overthrowing me?" Gung Ye roared. He wheeled around all of a sudden and scared Hong Yu so bad that Hong Yu nearly fell to his feet. He immediately bowed, trembling badly. "I heard rumors, Hong Yu. I'm not sure if this is all true but I'm not going to take risks. I'm going to depend on you."

"Sir?" Hong Yu whispered. He remembered all the reasons why he wanted to overthrow Gung Ye in the first place. He was cruel, too harsh, he wasn't a good ruler at all.

"Your son is the key." Gung Ye sneered. "I need you his sword fighting skills, assuming they are as magnificent as I hear them to be. I want him to kill Taejo for me."

"Sir!" Hong Yu gasped.

"Think about it." Gung Ye snickered. "If you listen to me, you will live the rest of your life in absolute luxury. If you don't, kill me. Will Taejo give you as much benefits as I can? Will he?" he laughed. "You and I know he will waste all that gold on the commoners. Do they deserve it? No. But you deserve it, Hong Ye. You're a capable man, you're not like the farmers out there. It is your choice."

Gung Ye met Hong Ye's eye. "Will you do it, or not?"

-----

"He what?" Bae Hyeongyeong gasped. "He found out?"

"Yes. He wants my son to kill Taejo." Hong Yu murmured, sighing. "I'm afraid he might do something to my family if I don't agree."

"Don't worry." Minister Jung nodded. "We won't let anything happen to them. We will protect you no matter what happens. This only means that we have to bring forth the plan and overthrow him sooner." He smiled at the thought of the approaching peace. *And then Daehyun can finally get married with So Eun.*

"Yes that's right." Shin Sunggyeom nodded. "All of our plans are already more or less ready. Why don't we set the assassination to be tomorrow? The sooner the better, before he expects it."

"Do all of you agree on this?" Taejo asked, raising his brows.

Everyone nodded. Taejo nodded and sipped his wine, his brows furrowed. They toasted to the new beginning and cheered.

Only one remained silent, weighing his options. Hong Yu pretended to smile as he sipped his wine. To do not not to do it?

-----

Daehyun held So Eun's hand tightly as they waited at his residence for the news. Their fathers had all departed that morning for the assassination and the wives and children were all waiting for the news and cheers.

"Do you think it will go on successfully?" Lady Kim asked, frowning. "Gung Ye may be a bad ruler, but he has a lot of soldiers on his side. Will our husbands be able return safely?"

"Of course." Lady Jung nodded stubbornly. "Nothing will happen to them."

So Eun leaned against Daehyun, her face pale. "You really think so?" she whispered. "Gung Ye was one of the strongest leaders during the rebellion against Queen Jinsung. I'm scared."

Daehyun wrapped on arm around her shoulder and squeezed it gently. "They'll be alright, don't worry." So Eun looked up at him with wide curious eyes and Daehyun nodded, pressing a kiss against her temple while glancing at their mothers to make sure they didn't see.

They waited for a few hours before Minister Jung and Officer Kim came back on their horses. They looked haggard and worn out. "How was it?" the wives rushed to the front anxiously.

"He's dead." Officer Kim smiled at his wife tiredly. "Took quite a fight, but dead."

Minister Jung got down his horse and hugged his wife. Lady Jung gasped at the blood on her husband's sleeve. "Are you hurt badly? There's a lot of blood!"

"That's not mine." Minister Jung winced. "Unexpected things happened. Hong Yu betrayed us."

Daehyun's eyes widened. "What? But he was one of the first people who wanted to start this!" his hand tightened around So Eun's.

"He regretted." Minister Jung shrugged. "He figured he could get more success if he bootlicked Gung Ye right now. He sent his son to attack Taejo and luckily, I was right beside him. I blocked his sword with mine before anything lethal happened."

"That was real quick reaction, I must add." Officer Kim praised. So Eun smiled at her father.

"You were the one who managed to use that distraction to attack Gung Ye so I would say your reaction is faster." Minister Jung smiled. "Regretfully, while fending off Hong Yu's son, I killed him." he sighed and shook his head. "I never wanted to kill anyone in my whole life and I'm sad to have done it."

"It's for the better good." Daehyun reasoned. "But Hong Yu...?"

"He's caught by Bae Hyeongjeong of course." Minister Jung told him. "He's currently being sent to jail."

"No."

Everyone turned towards the gates in surprise. Hong Yu smirked as he walked towards them with a sinister smile.

"He's right here."