Ice Man

The Man who never Dies

The bell rang.

Daehyun finally let his gaze move from the spot behind Teacher Shin's head, lowering his gaze to his hands and biting his lips, letting out a breath he didn't know he was holding.

Phew. It ended. Two hours, sitting beside the girl he would die a thousand times for, the girl he loved to bits, the girl whom he had so many things to say to but couldn't....and he didn't even look in her direction for a single moment.

Daehyun figured he should be gifted some sort of patience reward.

Daehyun kept his book which he never even opened the entire lesson. He didn't think he had any use for Chemistry right then. All he wanted to do was to save So Eun, anything else was unimportant.

So Eun blinked, cracking a small smile even though she didn't know why she did. *He finally moved.* she noticed. *Two hours and not even moving half an inch from his position, Jung Daehyun is something.*

Zelo nudged her and So Eun turned around, snapping out of her thoughts. "Noona, did you hear what was the last part on proteins Teacher Shin talked about? I didn't catch that." he pouted, scratching her head. "She talks so fast!" he complained.

"Oh no prob." So Eun handed him her textbook absent-mindedly.

Zelo beamed and took her textbook, flipping the pages to the page he was looking for. He blinked in surprise and frowned, scratching his head. "Noona." he said hesitantly. "You didn't take any notes."

"Nonsense." So Eun rolled her eyes and took the book back to what he was talking about. "How could I have not taken note-" she faltered when she saw her own book which was free of her usual scribbles.

She blinked, stunned.

Did Kim So Eun actually lose attention in a lesson and forgot to note down what Teacher Shin said? OMG.

"I..." So Eun swallowed. She had been observing Daehyun the entire time and she forgot all about the lesson. Damn! It never happened to her before, especially not because of a guy!

That Jung Daehyun was just...diferent. Mysteriously different. There were so many things about him that were confusing. So Eun could not understand what he was thinking when he said he didn't want friends and he didn't like people talking to him.

How could someone be like that?

Apparent Himchan thought the same as well, because as the students waited for the next teacher to come into their class, he sauntered over to Daehyun, determined to make a new friend.

Himchan was pretty much similar to a mother actually. He was naggy, he fussed a lot, and if there was one thing he couldn't take, that was anything faintly morally incorrect.

As mothers do when they saw a child that was alone with no friends, Himchan felt compelled to befriend Daehyun. He thought this guy was interesting and he wanted to know more about this guy. He had gossiped with Yongguk all through class, analyzing Daehyun's reasons for saying what he did.

They came up with three possible reasons really.

One, Daehyun had inferiority disorder with regards to speech. Which was why he was afraid of people talking to him because he had to talk back! That made sense right?

Two, Daehyun was afraid of girls. Yes, that cold faced guy might actually have a phobia of the opposite ! How else could you explain why he wanted to minimize all contact with everyone else?

Three, Daehyun was gay. Period.

Himchan put on his best smile as he went over to Daehyun. Gay or not, he was determined to be Daehyun's friend. "Hi, Daehyun right?" he grinned. "Welcome to Kyungnam high. My name is Himchan, nice to meet you."

Daehyun didn't look at him, staring straight ahead.

Himchan didn't falter and he continued chirping. "And that scary looking guy there, he's Yongguk hyung. That's Zelo, the maknae who has a giant body. The cocky looking one is Youngjae-" Himchan earned a glare from the guy in question. "-and that is Jongup, the Mr Nice."

"And lastly," Himchan gestured to So Eun beside him. "This is So Eun."

Daehyun's fists that were originally clenched, tightened even more and he swallowed. Of course he knew she was So Eun. Of course he knew.

Daehyun took a deep breath and he forced the fiercest glare he could conjure, narrowing his eyes at Himchan. Himchan continued on as if he didn't see anything wrong. "We have been best friends since forever but we don't mind being your friend too if you want, Daehyun. When's your birthday anyway, am I your hyung or are you my hyung?" he asked good-naturedly.

So Eun leaned forward, wondering what he would say.

"Make someone else call you hyung, I'm not interested." Daehyun said in a low voice, sending a last glare before turning his gaze to the front.

"Hey dude, he was just being friendly." Yongguk frowned, displeased. "You don't need to be so rude about it."

"I said, I don't want friends." Daehyun hissed. So Eun frowned, not liking how he talked to Yongguk. "Hey! You don't need to be rude, Yongguk was right!" she protested.

Daehyun's jaw clenched. This was harder than he thought it was.

Being mean to everyone was okay, but wanting him to scream and glare at her? Her? He couldn't do it...he really couldn't...

Daehyun snapped his head to the front and avoided her eyes, closing his own. *I love you, I'm sorry. I love you.* he repeated in his mind.

So Eun huffed, seeing how he ignored all of them and crossed her arms. Youngjae frowned at Daehyun, analyzing his actions in that brainiac way of his. He really couldn't figure Daehyun out. Jongup on the other hand, was astounded that someone could be that mean and he bit his lip, scratching his head.

"Don't mind him. If he doesn't want us to be nice to him, it's his loss for making BAP as his enemies." Yongguk muttered, almost nearing a snarl. "Himchan get back here and don't bother about that bastard."

Himchan darted back obediently. The six of them ignored Daehyun on the surface, but inside, they were all thinking about him. What was in this guy's mind? He was so weird!

"And rude." Yongguk muttered. "Incredibly rude."

Daehyun sighed softly and stared at the front as the teacher came into the class. He wished it didn't have to be so difficult.

 

 

 

"Hi Daehyun oppa!" girls giggled as he walked past.

Daehyun ignored all of them, not even sparing them a glance as he strode away. The BAP boys watched as Daehyun went to his own locker to put his own books in.

"Look at him." Yongguk muttered. "He thinks he owns the world."

So Eun's eyes followed Daehyun as he walked off. Even with the initial disapproval of his actions and words, So Eun couldn't help but notice how good looking he was.

He really was good looking.

The way he ignored everyone around wasn't exactly cocky. It wasn't cockiness or pride that made him that way. It was more of...he didn't even notice everyone staring.

He looked preoccupied. His thoughts were filled up with something, and that something must be huge because he could actually overlook how everyone was staring at him. Daehyun walked off and disappeared around the corner, his figure slightly slouching and his hands shoved in his pockets.

The ice man pose. And it was really attractive indeed.

So Eun furrowed her brows, biting her lips. That guy was intriguing, even when So Eun only met him for a few hours.

She shook her head and wrinkled her nose. *Intriguing yes. But rude yes. No matter how good looking that guy is, he's still a mean one.*

"Come on, stop staring into space." Jongup tapped her shoulder. "Hyungs already went to the cafeteria. Even Zelo."

So Eun looked around her and found that only she and Jongup were left. She frowned and huffed. "Even Zelo? Why didn't they wait or call for me to follow?" she complained.

Jongup shrugged and smiled. "Food?"

"Oh right." So Eun muttered, unamused. "Remind me not to forget I'm best friends with a bunch of pigs." She smiled at him. "Exceot you of course Jongup. You're the best!" she punched his arm lightly in a friendly manner.

"Come on, let's go before they finish all the food." So Eun pulled him along. Jongup pinked and nodded, following after. He scratched his head cutely and smiled to himself. Yes, he was Mr Nice indeed.

-----

Daehyun watched as So Eun came into the cafeteria with one of her friends called Jongup, joining the rest of the BAP boys as they booked their usual table.

Laughter drifted over from their table to his, and he watched intently, a small smile curling on his lips.

Youngjae and So Eun were bickering again like they always did. He noticed this pair were always bickering even since they were 6. This guy seemed to be extremely competitive and his girl was too.

*Not your girl.* Daehyun reminded himself. *She's not yours. You don't deserve her.*

So Eun and Youngjae began tugging on a loaf of bread like kids and the umma Himchan pulled them apart, sighing and rubbing his temples. And then Zelo said something and all of them were laughing again.

They seemed like a pretty close-knitted bunch.

As So Eun smiled, her signature eye smile surfaced as she chuckled softly at something Himchan said. Jongup blurted something innocent and it sent them all guffawing again.

Daehyun watched her silently, feeling comforted that she was happy. When she was happy, he was happy too. Simple as that.

"Daehyun oppa why won't you eat this? It's really good you know! Here, I'll feed you." one of the girls that had invited themselves to his table without waiting for his response, turned over to him and tried feeding him a piece of her kimbap.

Daehyun brushed her hand away, the kimbap falling on the table. He glared at her, rolling his eyes and then turning his attention back to So Eun.

The girl's face fell and she sulked, unhappy.

Daehyun was a little startled to see that So Eun was looking over at him at that instant. And she didn't seem to look happy about how he treated the girl.

Daehyun turned away, shoving his own sandwich in his mouth.

It didn't matter what she thought of him, he convinced himself, as long as he could save her then the time came.