Just Friends

The Man who never Dies

Daehyun rushed down the stairs the moment he heard the front door opening.

He slowed down at the last few steps and collected his cool, arranging his attire and taking a few deep breaths. Then, he walked into the living room with the straight poker face as if he hadn't jumped up from his bed with the brightest smile on earth just few moments ago.

So Eun noticed him and smiled. "Hey Daehyun!" she chirped, putting down the bags. "Umma! Appa! I'm home!" she shouted.

Daehyun tried to read So Eun's expression and noticed that she looked radiant and bright, no doubt happy. His face fell. Did that mean So Eun and Jongup were going to date for real now?

. He wanted his plan of matchmaker to succeed but he didn't want it to as well. Damn, couldn't he just pick a side?

Mr and Mrs Kim rushed out to meet their daughter and fussed over her. "How was the aweeeesome dateeee So Eun?" Mrs Kim dragged her words on and glanced at Daehyun slyly.

So Eun grinned. "It was a little awkward at first but everything turned alright." So Eun shrugged. "Jongup and I figured it out and we've decided to-"

"MY BABYYYYY!!!!" Himchan burst through the door, followed by Yongguk, Youngjae, and lastly Zelo strolled in as if he owned the world. Himchan rushed to So Eun and grinned while wriggling his eyebrows. "Tell me about it all? When are you are Jonguppie going to get married?" he beamed.

Daehyun inwardly flinched and Youngjae rolled his eyes at Himchan's comment. "This hyung has no sense."

So Eun shook her head and laughed. "Marriage? Himchan, we were just on a test date!" she looked at the door. "Oh look, there's Jongup." Jongup came into the house shyly and grinned. "Hey."

"So when's the wedding date? Don't keep us in suspense!" Himchan whined.

Jongup raised his brows at So Eun and she shook her head. "We've decided to remain as friends." she beamed at Jongup.

"Friends?" Everyone echoed. Youngjae smirked and held out his hand. "I knew it. Pay up." "Damn." Yongguk handed Youngjae twenty thousand won and Zelo handed five. "How did you know?"

Himchan looked devastated. "WHAT? But I spent so much time on choosing your clothes for the date and nothing came out of it? ALL MY EFFORTS!!!" He whined.

Daehyun stood there, his heart beating fast. *Damn, my gosh I thought I'd have fainted.* he swallowed. He felt relieved that the date turned out to be nothing, but at the same time worried as well. Didn't that mean his efforts to try matchmake So Eun with someone else didn't work?

"I realized I was just confused." Jongup bit his lip. "I thought I liked So Eun but actually I didn't. I only treat her like a friend. We've decided to return to being best friends which suited us the best all the while." he smiled.

So Eun wriggled her brows. "And I think someone developed a real crush for a cute lady cashier just now~" she sang, directing her gaze at Jongup. Everyone crowded around Jongup while trying to ask him about what actually happened.

So Eun smiled at her parents who retreated back into their rooms since all the excitment had passed. So Eun grabbed the bag of shirts she bought and passed it around the guys. "Jongup and I bought shirts for all of you. Treat it as an apology for all this useless hype."

"Ooh a shirt." Yongguk immediately forgot about the Jongup-So Eun matter and grabbed his own shirt, grinning. "Not bad."

The boys fawned over their new T-shirts and So Eun grabbed the last one, making her way to the quiet Daehyun at the side. He hadn't spoken a word throughout the entire time as usual, his brows more furrowed than usual and he seemed to be having an internal struggle.

So Eun went over to him and tapped him on the shoulder. "Daehyun?"

Daehyun jumped slightly and faced her, alarmed. "What?"

"Why were you thinking about?" So Eun looked up at him curiously. "You were completely immersed in your thoughts."

Daehyun looked away, clearing his throat. *I was secretly glad that you and Jongup didn't turn out well and I'm secretly angry with myself for thinking that way.*

So Eun blinked at him. She wondered what he felt about Jongup and her staying as friends, and then wondered why she cared.

She shook here head, deciding to just ask him. "Did you hear? Jongup and I decided to stay as friends." she looked at him carefully.

Daehyun avoided her gaze and pursed his lips, trying not to smile. So Eun twisted her lip. "I'm curious. Were you on one team with Himchan that wanted us to get together or were you like Youngjae, knowing that we wouldn't?"

*I'm neither here nor there.* Daehyun sighed to himself. He looked at her with his poker face. "No comment."

So Eun stuck out her tongue. "Meh, you're no fun." she wrinkled her nose. She handed him the shirt she chose for him. "I got you a shirt too."

Daehyun blinked in surprise, not expecting it. He thought he was mean to her, but she responded by letting him stay in her house. He thought she wouldn't want anything to do with him, and now she was giving him a shirt. She really was full of surprises.

Daehyun unrolled the black shirt and almost smiled at the design. Mr Mysterious.

"I thought it matched you very well." So Eun grinned. "You and your few words all the time, very mysterious." she wriggled her brows comically. "I hope you don't mistunderstand that just because I give you a shirt that says this means I want you to continue being like that alright?" she wagged her finger. "I hope you'll stop being so mysterious all the time."

Daehyun gazed down at the shirt, his heart warming. She always knew the right things to say.

 

 

 

Daehyun wore the T-shirt and stood in front of the mirror. He grinned at his reflection, the stupid grin stretching even wider with every moment. He liked the shirt even though it looked pretty plain.

Daehyun wearing anything made anything look good. And anything given by So Eun was a treasure.

Daehyun bit his lip to contain the smile, trying to tell himself to be unhappy. But how could he?

"Your plan to make So Eun like Jongup is failing, Jung Daehyun." he whispered to himself. "And now you're getting all giggly because she gives you a T-shirt that probably only costs twenty thousand won. You're hopeless."

But Daehyun took one more look at himself, getting more comfortable in that shirt than ever. He grabbed his beanie and a jacket just in case as he strolled out. So Eun was still in the bathroom bathing when he went out and he quickly darted to the door.

"Daehyun, where are you going so late?" Mr Kim called.

"For a walk. I'll be back soon, Mr Kim." Daehyun responded politely. Mr Kim nodded and sent an okay sign.

Daehyun pulled on his beanie and sighed as he walked towards the park. He desperately needed to clear his mind as well as his goals. His goals were slipping away from him the more he stayed with So Eun. Should he still continue trying to encourage the So Eun-Jongup couple?

What should he do to make sure that this time, he could really save her from dying?

Daehyun had once considered not appearing in So Eun's life at all so he could save her from dying of the curse. It didn't end well.

The curse acted in such a manner, like someone writing a name in the death note.

When it came for the time for her to die on her eighteenth birthday, whatever circumstances around her that allow for death would occur. If she was on a bus, an accident on the road. Walking on a bridge? Sudden strong gust of wind that would blow her off. Riding an elevator? Sudden breakdown till she suffocated and died.

There were other threats as well, other scarier ones, but let's not disclose everything now.

Daehyun sat down on a bench and twisted his lips. How was he supposed to save her from something like that if he didn't know how it was going to take place?

He sighed and stared off into the distance, blank.

A few moments later, he caught someone walking into the park. A familiar silhouette.

Daehyun's eyes widened and he looked down at his shirt. . He was still wearing the shirt she bought. And not only that, his beanie was the signature bright blue one he usually wore when he met her as the masked man.

Thinking quickly, Daehyun quickly pulled on the jacket and zipped it all the way up to hide the tee's print and pulled his beanie down. He took out the mask from his pocket and put it on just in time as So Eun reached him.

"Masked man!" she grinned, pleasantly surprised. "I thought that guy looked like you so I came over. Nice to see you here again."

Daehyun cleared his throat, sweating profusely. Damn, the jacket was thick.

So Eun looked at him curiously and noted his clothes. "Don't you ever take off the beanie and the mask?" she raised her brows. "Man, I've never met someone so unconfident of their looks as you." she teased.

Daehyun raised her brows. *Unconfident? Please, I know I'm handsome.*

So Eun sighed softly and leaned against the back of the chair. "I wonder where he went." she murmured, looking around. "Appa said he came out for a walk too."

Daehyun froze, hoping that she wouldn't make the connection that he was Daehyun. But she didn't. The beanie and mask never gave her any chance of seeing his face and he had changed his clothes after dinner. He looked different and besides, he made sure never to utter a single word.

So Eun shrugged and looked at him. "You know, today I went on a date." she laughed. "The most awkward and epic date ever." she grinned. "When he was trying to be all romantic, everything was so awkward. When he decided to just stay himself, everything turned back to normal. I think me and him are meant to be friends."

Daehyun nodded in understanding. He couldn't help the burst of relief and satisfaction at her words.

"And I knew he wasn't it either." So Eun continued. "You know masked man, I've never been in love." she laughed at her own joke while Daehyun stared at her. "I'm turning 18 and I've never really liked a guy before. Maybe I've watched too many dramas, but I always thought that when you liked someone, that feeling would be distinct enough to lead you in the right direction."

She looked at him. "I didn't feel it with that friend of mine today, I knew he wasn't it." she sighed softly. "Have you ever met a girl that made you know without doubt that, hey, she's the one?"

Daehyun looked away. Yes.

So Eun grinned at him. "Ayyeeee...if you won't talk, you won't ever get the girl you know!" she teased. She leaned back against the back of the chair. "Aigoo, I'm tired. I'll close my eyes for a bit."

And then they sat there together, in silence.