The New Student

The Man who never Dies

That glare.

Intense. Full of hatred. Ultimate disdain. There would never be a moment other than this that would allow you to see Kim So Eun glaring this intensely. Nuh uh.

There was nothing she hated more....than her Pororo alarm clock.

"I hate you, you know that?" She muttered under her breath. She made another face and crawled out of her bed tiredly and reluctantly, dragging herself to the bathroom.

She put on her uniform that was a navy blue skirt and white button down shirt with a blue bow they had to tie at the necks. She didn't like the bow either, it suffocated her every time she breathed.

She grabbed her yellow school bag and rushed down the stairs, her usual routine. "Morning umma! I'll be going!" She grabbed a piece of toast.

"Not so fast!" Mrs Kim appeared from the kitchen, wagging her finger. "Today you're going to sit and eat your breakfast."

"But I'm going to be late for school!" So Eun frowned. She never once ate her breakfast at the table. "The boys will kill me if I cause them all to be late!"

"Yeah but it's early now isn't it?" She pointed at the clock. "Just seven fifteen. You have forty five minutes before school starts!" Her eyes glinted mischievously.

So Eun's eyes rounded and she blinked at the clock. "Waah?" She rubbed her eyes. "But my Pororo..." She checked her phone and saw that it was indeed 7:15. Her eyes widened and she pouted at her mother. "Umma!!!"

Mrs Kim laughed and gestured for her daughter to sit. "Yes yes I adjusted your alarm clock. It's good to eat slowly and not rush you know. You should wake up earlier everyday, So Eun. It's not good to rush off every single day."

"I'm doing fine, especially with the extra five minutes of sleep." So Eun mumbled. She munched on her toast and read the newspaper, slightly not used to this sort of leisurely feeling that she rarely got to enjoy.

Her father came downstairs and he did a double take at his daughter. "What is this? So Eun eating breakfast? At a table?" He pretended to gasp.

So Eun laughed and kissed his cheek. "Morning Appa. Umma played a trick on me. She changed the time on my Pororo."

"Good one. Do that more often Yeobo." Mr Kim winked. Mrs Kim just laughed in amusement.

"By the way, is the new office going to be opened today?" So Eun asked. "How are things going along?"

"The office is coming along well actually, you can bring the boys over some time." Mr Kim nodded. He blinked and shook his head. "No considering how the office is new and all, don't bring the boys over no matter what. I hope to keep the newness of the office as long as possible."

"Yeobo!" Mrs Kim laughed. "But well, the new office is going to be much better to work in. I hope this can attract more volunteers."

Mr and Mrs Kim worked in a volunteering charity organization for teenage education and welfare. They helped teenagers around that were disadvantaged, too poor to get an education, or even abused by their parents.

Their house had a guest room that was opposite of So Eun's that would some times see guests, who were teenagers of around So Eun's age that needed help from her parents. The transition from their original house to the welfare home took some time and the kids usually stayed at the guest room.

For now, it was empty.

So Eun loved how her parents were loving and passionate about everything, especially in helping other people. She thought it was something to be proud of, and she loved them a lot.

To her, having parents that did volunteer work was more meaningful than having parents who were billionaires.

So Eun zoned out until Mrs Kim spoke. "So Eun ah, as much as I wanted you to sit and eat, I'm afraid you're really running late now."

So Eun's eyes snapped up to the clock and she gasped. "7:40? How?? Did the clock speed up? Oh no, bye umma! Bye Appa!" She shoved the rest of her toast in and ran out of the house.

"Bye!" Her parents chorused.

Mr Kim looked at his wife. "Our daughter isn't very demure isn't she?"

"Yeah." Mrs Kim laughed. "But at least she's being herself. Someone will learn to love her for who she is."

-----

"Noona!" Zelo beamed.

So Eun tossed the pack of chocopie to him as she slipped her arms through the sling of her bag pack. "Come on! We're going to be late!"

"Because of a certain someone." Himchan coughed innocently. So Eun turned to shoot him a look and he pretended to fix his hair.

Youngjae harrumphed and slung an arm around Himchan's shoulder. "No need to hide hyung, it is true that its her fault we're running late."

"Hey you're mean." So Eun huffed. "It's just that I'm eating breakfast with my mom and dad today."

"Wow. What special day is it today?" Yongguk checked his watch. "Must be a really special day. Kim So Eun woke up early enough for breakfast at a table!"

So Eun eyed Yongguk slyly. "I wouldn't be so gleeful as you would be right now Bang Yongguk. I'll have you know that the Chemistry test we took the other day is going to be returned today."

"Already?" Yongguk's face fell. "My mom already banned me from computer for a week because I failed math!"

"Make that a month now, then." Zelo laughed. Jongup stifled a chuckle and Yongguk shot both of them looks.

Zelo instantly stopped in his tracks at the leader's fierce glare. "Robot, battery flat." He said in a flat tone and closed his eyes.

"Aish some other time Zelo! We're running late!" So Eun pulled him along. Jongup helped to fix the maknae's bag on his shoulder as they all ran towards school.

"Oh right." Zelo blinked. "Robot recharged again."

So Eun shook her head and laughed. Oh Zelo.







Daehyun stared at the school and scratched his head. He felt uncomfortable in this uniform even though it was of much better material than his old clothes, but it felt strange.

He hadn't gotten used to how face times were changing through the years.

A new invention came out and he would take ages to get used to it. And then new trends and inventions outed the old ones and he had to get use to them again. Oh joy.

This school he was standing in front of wasn't built a long time ago. Kyungnam High was built 30 years ago, less than three percent of Daehyun's age. Meh, this building was young.

Daehyun strolled in, his famous poker face on again while he stuffed his hands in his pockets. His heart was thudding furiously in his chest, something that only happened when So Eun was around.

When she died, he lived lifelessly and aimlessly till she was reincarnated again.

Her last life had been eighty years ago. Too long, too long.

Daehyun looked around, knowing exactly when So Eun would be arriving. He knew about the BAP boys even though they didn't know about him. He knew everything about her but she didn't know he existed.

He made it a point to get to know her schedule so he could follow her whenever she went to school and back home, just in case something happened.

Now that she was seventeen and fast turning eighteen, he had to make his appearance so that he could get closer to her and he could keep a closer eye on her.

He didn't notice how the female population was gawking at him as he passed, walking to the general office to collect his timetable.

He was hot. That boy was hot, good gracious me.

Whether it was a thousand years ago in ancient robes or the twenty first century uniform, Jung Daehyun was still attractive. But it didn't matter to him, a guy that had lived for so long. He lived for something else. Someone else.

"I wonder who that is." Girls began whispering. They particularly adored the bored and unreadable expression his face donned, a killer bad boy aura that radiated from him.

Just as Daehyun got into the general office, So Eun and the BAP boys got to school.

"Thank goodness! We aren't late." Jongup fanned himself. He offered So Eun his drink like he nice guy he was before bringing it to his own mouth to satisfy his thirst, when...

"Give me that." Yongguk snatched Jongup's water bottle and downed the rest of the water. He smacked his lips and let out a satisfied sigh. "Ah, that was good."

Jongup pouted and So Eun whacked Yongguk's head. "Bang Yongguk!"

"What!" Yongguk blinked in astonishment as he massaged his head.

"You're exasperatingly self-centered." Youngjae clicked his tongue. "Domineering, crude, uncouth, and not to mention behaving like an uneducated barbarian." Youngjae raised his brows, speaking in English.

Yongguk blinked.

"He means you're a meanie." Himchan patted the leader's shoulders. "Don't worry. He called me that before too."

"Hey!" Yongguk frowned at Youngjae. "Just because you sprout English doesn't mean you have an edge over me."

"Oh please." Youngjae flicked his wrist carelessly. "Don't even try to compete with your amateur English skills." He spoke in English again.

"What you say you?" Yongguk boomed. "You talk more, you die." He pretended to break a neck.

"Scary." Youngjae muttered, not amused. "Our leader should seriously get tutoring lessons from me. I'm not kidding."

-----

Yongguk and Youngjae were still arguing when they reached the class and Jongup shook his head. "Can't they stop?"

"What do you think?" Zelo mumbled. He brightened as he dug out the newspaper cutting of the day's sudoku puzzle. "Aha level 5! I'll beat you this time!" He grabbed a pen.

The teacher came into the class and everyone quietened down. So Eun nudged Youngjae on her right for him to shut up. Yongguk who was sitting diagonally behind her and directly behind Youngjae, pouted and felt his eyelids start to droop. The phenomenon of a teacher's voice, never underestimate it.

"So as I was saying, there's a new student in class today." Teacher Shin announced. "I hope you guys will be nice to him!"

At once, the girls chattered excitedly and whispered to each other. "Do you think it's that hot guy we saw?" They whispered. "Oooh! I hope so!"

Daehyun strode into the class with his poker face and the girls squealed in delight that their wish came true.

Daehyun turned to face the class and the first person his eyes landed on was So Eun.

His heart gave a skip and he was momentarily speechless. The way she was looking at him with her eyes wide and sparkling with curiosity...how many times had he seen her look like this?

But never once at him, at least not in this life of hers. He only revealed himself to her now.

Looking at her at such a close proximity did funny things to his heart. Even after a thousand years, she could still make him feel the same way he did when he first spotted her in the marketplace.

God, how he loved those eyes. Those eyes that had captured his heart from day one. And not to mention those lips and...

"Daehyun?" Teacher Shin whispered in concern. "You were blanking out. Do you want to introduce yourself to the class?"

Daehyun snapped out of his daze and he forced his emotions down. Thousand years or not, he came with a mission and this time he was here to succeed.

So Eun was surprised when Daehyun had looked..no, stared at her the first thing he came into class. Those eyes of his were so expressive, so deep and it was like a lot of things were running in his head as he stared at her.

Until Teacher Shin whispered to him. Those eyes hardened and cleared, and were back to their original emotionless form.

So Eun wondered if she had been imagining things in the first place.

"I'm Jung Daehyun." He said in a low quiet voice. "I don't like people. Don't talk to me."

With that, he strode to the only empty seat in the class and plopped down on it, dropping his bag casually.

The seat beside So Eun.

So Eun stared at him in surprise, not expecting such a speech. Teacher Shin looked stumped and she tried hard to recover. "Ah haha seems like Daehyun is a joker huh? Ah well get out your geography text books we're going through map reading today!"

So Eun eyed Daehyun from the corner of her eye and scratched her head. *He can't mean what he said.*

So Eun waited the entire lesson of two hours for him to turn his head towards her so she could give him a smile, her lips already curled up and ready for the eye contact.

But it never came.

Daehyun kept his face to the front the entire time and the only movement from his was the way his chest moved when he breathed and his eyes blinking.

So Eun pouted lightly. *Whats up with him?*

On the other hand, Daehyun was doing everything not to look at her. Everything he had.

1000 years of trained patience and it was nearly not enough when it was put to test like this. He cursed when he saw the only empty seat beside her. He was hoping for a seat in he back so he could subtly observe her, but beside her! He had to keep his facade up even more tightly, knowing this So Eun was smart no matter which life she was born in.

*And this So Eun still looks the same.* Daehyun allowed the sides of his lips to curl up ever so slightly at the thought.

*My So Eun.*