Challenge II

The Man who never Dies

So Eun walked into school with a different vibe the next day.

Determined, warrior-like pose as she strutted in, her eyes narrwed and her lips pursed. Her hands were clutching her books tightly as she walked briskly, hurrying through the masses of people with the BAP boys behind her.

Zelo had a chocopie stuck in his mouth as he followed, and he nudged Yongguk beside him. "How on earth is she going to convince him to stay with her?" he mumbled. "Daehyun hyung isn't going to agree."

Youngjae grinned. "I think with her pose right now, she has a fair idea of what she has to do to get him to agree." He observed. He tapped his chin thoughtfully. "The problem is that I can't figure out what it is."

Jongup remained quiet as he followed the rest of his friends. To be completely honest, he wasn't very sure about all this.

He wanted Daehyun to get a proper home instead of staying outside by himself and carrying the burden himself, he thought no one should ever have to do that. It was plain cruel.

However the thought that Daehyun would be staying just next to So Eun made him slightly uneasy. There were other boys staying in that room opposite to So Eun's before, but none so attractive and none had been their friend. There was this sudden protectiveness that surged through him but he couldn't very well speak out about it because he had mixed feelings about the whole thing.

The group saw Daehyun getting his books from his locker just as they arrived. Daehyun looked up and didn't smile even though Himchan sent a cheerful wave and high pitched "good morning!" because it simply wasn't him to do so. However, he did nod once to acknowledge the greeting.

So Eun went up to him and bit her lip, staring fiercely up at him. "Daehyun, stay with me." she blurted.

And then she backtracked. WAIT. That wasn't how it was supposed to come out as! What happened to all the planning and script writing beforehand??

Daehyun's brows rose high and he stared at her, evidently in shock. *What in the world?* his heart gave a skip.

So Eun pinked and she cleared . "I mean well....yes, stay with me. In my house." she reddened even more as she continued, wondering why all words failed her at that crucial point in time.

She took a deep breath and looked at him straight in the eye. Brown orbs to brown orbs. "You don't deserve living somewhere like this, Daehyun." she frowned. "My parents are social workers and they have already agreed to let you stay in the guest room in our house. The organization can see you through your education and you can have a proper home." she convinced.

"With you?" Daehyun muttered in a low voice. That was the last thing he needed and the first thing he wanted.

A home with her? Gosh he felt exhilerated even at the mere thought of it. Staying in the stay house and being able to see her whenever he wanted, was that a privilege or what.

So Eun pinked even more. "W-well if you want to put it that way...yes." she swallowed. "With me. My parents are more than happy to prepare an extra set of cutlery for meals and they even prepared the new bedspreads. You can move in today."

Daehyun was once again bowled over by the random nature of the girl he loved. She never failed to surprise him time and time again and she had done it again this time. Asking him to stay with her? Like seriously?

Did she ask every other guy so randomly or was it only for him? What was she thinking anyway, she hadn't known him for long and now she was asking him to stay in the same house as her family? What if he was a bad guy?

*Gosh So Eun...* Daehyun momentarily closed his eyes. *You're driving me crazy.* he seriously wanted to agree. Other than the fact that he could stay with her, he really missed the taste of home cooked food instead of his own messily made meals.

The last time he had a nice meal with his family was....more than a thousand years ago. He missed the feeling of family.

But living with her was bringing everything to more dangerous grounds. His facade would have to be more closely guarded now more than ever and he had to make sure he didn't give away his inner thoughts accidentally. It was so so dangerous and what if she developed feelings for him again?

Daehyun stared back at So Eun. "What makes you think I'm going to agree?" he asked in a low voice, his eyes searching hers curiously.

The BAP boys watched and turned to So Eun, wondering what she would say. "You'd not agree to this. I expected it." So Eun huffed. Daehyun gave a nod, crossing his arms in front of his chest.

"But, my parents can use their positions as leaders in the charity organization to move you to a boys' home or anything of the likes because you're practically roaming your life away and that isn't it." So Eun frowned. "So I'm giving you a choice, Daehyun. If you seriously do not want to move in to our house, you have to accept this challenge or my parents will move you forcefully."

Was he being threatened by her right now? But still, Daehyun cocked his head to the side, waiting for her to continue.

So Eun took a book from her locker and ed it at his chest. "Math." she grinned. "If you're able to beat me in math, you can continue with your life like this. If you lose, you move in. If you don't accept the challenge, you'll have to move as well."

So Eun let out a sly grin as she looked up at him, slowly gaining confidence as her blush faded. "Are you up for it, Daehyun?"

Daehyun pursed his lips and grabbed the textbook. "Hell yeah." he muttered. He had to win this math thing no matter what.

 

 

 

And it seemed it was going to be a particularly large problem for him.

Daehyun had never paid attention to the development of sciences and math or technology through the ages and he most definitely didn't know anything about algebra or differentiation. He could only handle simple addition and subtraction that was needed for purchasing things.

His goal in life was to save So Eun from dying, so Math seemed like such a miniscular problem compared to her.

Now that things had become like this, Daehyun was grabbing his hair in frustration because he had not a single idea what the book was talking about.

Daehyun let out the nth sigh and growled, frowning and squinting at the paper. There seemed to be some kin dof force that was urging him to fall asleep, convincing him to close his heavy eyelids once and for all and giving in to temptation. He was never going to figure all that out anyway.

"You're so going to win this, noona." Zelo whispered as the boys watched Daehyun study. "Thank goodness you chose Math instead of history again."

So Eun threw an annoyed glance at the maknae. "Of course I wouldn't. I wouldn't court death twice." she muttered. "The first was a mistake." she pouted.

Yongguk leaned against the back of his chair and grinned. "He's going to lose, no doubt. You're the Math Goddess." he muttered.

Youngjae cleared his throat loudly and tapped his feet, crossing his arms in front of his chest. "Excuse me? What about me?"

"Math God then." Himchan pointed out. "But is it really fair to let him study alone like that? He should be entitled to some help. After all, he's going against my genius daughter." he scratched his head.

Youngjae looked over at So Eun and the latter nodded. She felt confident that she would win because math was her strongest subject and she adored it. Youngjae grinned and he made his way to Daehyun, plopping down beside him.

Daehyun didn't bother looking at Youngjae while he blew on his bangs. "Go away."

"So you're rejecting my help?" Youngjae pretended to look hurt. "I should think you need my help, hyung." Daehyun raised his gaze from the book and looked at him briefly before turning to glance at So Eun.

She grinned and Daehyun pursed his lips, looking away. Did she have to look so cute no matter what she did? Or was it just him?

Daehyun looked down at the problem he was doing and raked his fingers through his hair frustratedly. Youngjae took the book from him and glanced down at the question, slightly started at the numerous workings at the side. He blinked and read the level 1 question.

"Find the value of 1x2x3x4x...x100 minus 1x2x3x4x...x52." Youngjae blinked at the workings at the side.

Daehyun had actually figured out he was supposed to just find the value of 53x54x55x...x100, so theoritically he was correct. However it was completely unnecessary. He had a freaking calculator dude, so why was he making life so difficult for himself?

He actually multiplied from one to 28 and was intending to go on all the way to hundred and Youngjae could only shake his head in amusement. "Hyung, are you seriously going to do this problem this way? It probably only costs one mark."

Daehyun frowned. So how was he supposed to do it?

"Didn't the school make your purchase a calculator?" Youngjae laughed. "You're supposed to use that. 30 seconds and his one is done." Daehyun blinked and searched his bag. He found a rectangular shaped thing which was likely the calculator Youngjae was talking about but he honestly had no clue.

"Yes that's it." Youngjae showed Daehyun how to press 100! - 52! in the calculator, using the factorial function to get the value. The whole process took approximately 24 seconds as compared to his frustrating repetitive multiplication. Youngjae laughed heartily at the confused Daehyun. "Hyung! Don't you know what a calculator is?"

Daehyun sent Youngjae a glare and he wrote his answer down.

So Eun bit back a smile, shaking her head in amusement. How could Daehyun not know what a calculator is?

"I don't keep track of new devices." Daehyun muttered, moving onto the next question and trying to use his calculator to do the job. Himchan scratched his head. "Weren't calculators invented before we were born?"

Daehyun froze slightly and forced himself to continue writing. Born? Nah, there weren't calculators in the Silla Period.

Youngjae gazed at Daehyun curiously, storing this moment in his brain. *Strange.* he thought. *It's almost as if Daehyun hyung came from another time period.*