Loser

The Man who never Dies

Daehyun trudged back to his one room apartment when he made sure So Eun reached home safely.

The stupid smile was still on his face when he thought about So Eun, chuckling softly. Sitting beside her on the bench while she took his hand and shaking it, he felt slightly girly to admit that his heart was racing.

A thousand years and his love for her never died. It only intensified.

He never thought it was possible for him to love someone as much as he did. He loved everything about her, absolutely everything. Her flaws were cute to him, she was everything to him.

Daehyun put the key into the lock and his smile hardened slightly as his brows furrowed, the lock not turning smoothly. He had to kick the door several times, using his body to knock the door before he barely opened it.

Daehyun sighed softly and kicked the door shut, the piece of wood creaking loudly.

His apartment , big time. It couldn't even be called an apartment, really, it was just a single room. He didn't have a kitchen, just a simple kettle and portable stove where he cooked his instant noodles at.

There was a lumpy mattress that he had for a good forty years and a pile of clothes which he bought through the years. That was all.

Daehyun didn't have much money now even though he was of noble birth back then. He had his father's sword placed at the corner of the room and it would have fetched him at least a few dozen million won but he couldn't bear to sell it. He preferred staying in poverty than to sell his father's treasured item.

He saved up and used his father's assets wisely and slowly, but it couldn't have lasted him a thousand years, especially with the darn thing called inflation. He used up all his money around a hundred and fifty years ago and thankfully he bought the cola stocks when it first came out and he made a HUGE amount of profit with it.

He saved the rest of the money to last till now.

Daehyun plopped himself on a lone chair he had in the corner and took out the waffle from his coat. The smile crept back on his lips and he brought the waffle to his mouth, taking a large bite. The chocolate filing spread through his mouth, the same sweet feeling of falling in love.

The process of falling was so so so sweet, But it was the love that had made his years so bitter as well. Because his love fr her was so deep, it pained him terribly everytime she died.

But So Eun never really changed even though she reincarnated so many lifetimes. Her character was the same every single time and she remained the stubborn, naive but sincere girl he knew from the thousand years back. Hence he could never stop loving her, because she never changed.

"She's still the same." Daehyun chuckled lightly when he thought about the History Test challenge she sent him. "A history challenge? That's something only she'll think of." he mused.

He sighed softly as his thoughts started to wander back the years as memories floated up his mind.

 

 

Year 1950, Before the Korean war

"Don't go anywhere okay? Stay here." Daehyun instructed. "I'll be back in two."

So Eun blew on her bangs in annoyance. "It's not like I can walk anywhere now, can I?" she gestured to her bleeding knee. She had fallen down when she lost her balance, and unfortunately for her, she had been walking on the road hence the wound was bleeding rather profusely.

Daehyun gave her a look and pushed her forehead. "Babo, you should have grabbed onto my hand more tightly." he chided. "Wait here, I'll buy some medication." he ran off, looking for a shop selling medication.

So Eun didn't like how he always fussed incessantly after her, babying her as if she hadn't grown up. She was 17 for goodness sake, she knew he cared but sometimes it was too much.

For instance, the guy didn't even allow her to go grocery shopping for her mother. Like seriously? It was the 1950s already! She's a big girl and she can take care of herself, and it's not like girls weren't allowed out of the house anymore. Gender revolution, dude, has he heard of it?

Daehyun made sure that she couldn't go anywhere alone. If he wasn't available, he would make sure someone else would be there to follow her around. He didn't dare to let her out alone for fear that someone might happen to her.

She knew he loved her, and yes she loved him very very much as well.

But was she a baby?? He didn't need to treat her as one!

So Eun huffed as she hugged his jacket against her wound to soak up the blood. She winced slightly when she moved, her brows furrowing. She hoped Daehyun would return faster, but she knew better. Shops weren't aplenty right then because things were getting politically dangerous and no one dared to open their shops.

However, Daehyun made it back sooner than she had expected, panting and plopping himself beside her. "I'm back." he panted.

So Eun blinked in surprise. "How?" she gaped. "But there aren't any shops-"

"I figured." Daehyun nodded, pulling out a cotton piece and dabbing some medication on it. "So I ran back home instead. It was faster than wandering aorund for an open shop."

"Daehyun..." So Eun murmured, touched. She watched as he patted her knee and cleaned the wound without flinching, bandaging it with utmost care. Daehyun looked up and knocked her head. "Don't run off yourself anymore. Especially with the political scene being so unstable right now."

So Eun's face hardened. "But Daehyun, I can take care of myself." she protested. "The grocery store is just across the street! Like twenty metres away! You expect me to call you up so that you can accompany there if I need extra kimchi?" she asked.

"Yes." Daehyun responded without missing a beat. "I'll be there if you call me."

So Eun's eyes widened and she hit his arm. "Babo! Must you be so protective of me all the time?" she complained. "I'm not going to trip and die you know."

Daehyun narrowed his eyes at her and she faltered. "Okay fine, I know you've seen me die loads of times, but this time it's going to be different." So Eun assured. "I'm going to live past my 18th birthday and we're going to live happily ever after."

Daehyun nodded, brushing hair away from her face. "Yeah we are." he murmured softly. "So you've got to listen to me. I really don't want to lose you again, do you understand?"

So Eun stared back at him, biting her lips. "I know you're worried, Daehyun, but it's like I have no freedom anymore." she pouted. "You don't need to be overly paranoid, Daehyun. We're going to be fine, even though the war is coming, we'll get throught his. Believe in it."

Daehyun eyed her as she smiled, leaning towards him. He poked her cheek away, raising his brows. "I smell a bad idea coming." he muttered knowingly.

So Eun gave a sheepish grin and nodded. "Jung Daehyun," she leaned her cheek against his shoulder. Daehyun faced her, their nose touching. "Yeah what?" he chuckled softly.

"Jung Daehyun, I challenge you to an arm wrestling battle." So Eun grinned.

Raising his brows, Daehyun's eyes darted from her lips to her eyes. "Excuse me?" he chuckled in amusement. "An arm wrestling battle?"

"Yes." So Eun moved back before Daehyun leaned forward to meet her lips. She laughed at his disappointed face and stretched her limbs. "Right here right now. Arm wrestling battle."

Daehyun looked around him. They were sitting on a bench near her house and there were few people walking around them, looking anxious and worried with the political unstability getting worse by the second. "Like, here?"

"Yes." So Eun moved further from him so that there was space between them on the bench. She leaned her elbow against the bench and looked up at him. "Now."

Daehyun let out a hearty laugh and flicked her forehead. "Kim So Eun."

"Jung Daehyun." So Eun huffed. "NOW!!!!" she demanded. "If you win, I'll listen to you. If I win, you'll have to be less harsh on me, deal?"

Daehyun nodded, not able to hide the large amused smile on his face. "Fine." he agreed. He leaned his elbow against the bench as well and grabbed her hand, locking their fingers. "Ready?"

"Hm." So Eun nodded. "On one, two.....threeeeee!" she pushed his arm all of a sudden and Daehyun was surprised for a nanosecond. He quickly reacted and used his strength before she pushed his arm down all the way, righting their positions.

So Eun used all her strength, letting out a groan. "Daehyun, you're really strong." she grunted, pushing with all her might.

Daehyun raised his brows in amusement. He wasn't even perspiring and not even exerting that much strength. He chuckled at her face that was rapidly turning red by the second, grunting and glaring at him. "Why...are...you...so...strong?" So Eun grunted.

Daehyun grinned. "Why thank you."

So Eun glared at him. "You're laughing...at...me.." she grumbled, struggling to keep their arms upright. Daehyun shook his head innocently. "No I'm not."

So Eun made a face, her hands already trembling and she couldn't keep up with this for long. If Daehyun just decided to exert a little more strength, she would lose. Thinking quickly, So Eun forced a grin on her face. "Jung Daehyun." she gritted her teeth.

"Yeah?"

"I love you." So Eun managed to hiss. Daehyun blinked, warmth creeping into his heart. He smiled unknowingly. "I love you too."

His grip softened unknowingly and So Eun used the chance to push his arm down. She whooped in delight and punched her fists in the air. "I won!!" she yelled in delight. Daehyun blinked in disbelief and pulled her nearer. "Was that just a distraction?" he pouted.

So Eun gave him a grin and leaned closer to peck his cheek. "No, it's the truth."

 

2012 Seoul, South Korea

Daehyun sat there with the goofiest grin possible, smiling to himself like a lunatic. "Oh So Eun..." he blinked, realizing that he finished the waffle without knowing. He mentally scolded himself, initially wanting it to last as long as possible because it was from her.

He wiped his mouth with the back of his hand and smiled to himself.

"Tomorrow's the History Test." he muttered. "Will she win like the last time?"


----


So Eun eyed Daehyun beside her, making a face as Teacher Shin walked down the rows, giving out the test papers. "I'm going to beat you." she whispered.

Daehyun gave her a you-can-try-but-you're-going-to-fail face and he rolled his eyes.

The test papers were given out and teacher Shin returned to the front of the class. "Okay, one hour thirty minutes. Your time starts....now."

So Eun grabbed her pen and flipped to the first page, her eyes reading the question furiously and scribbling the answer there after. Daehyun was still uncapping his pen when So Eun moved on to the second question.

Daehyun glanced at her, a small smile creeping on his face. He liked it when So Eun was focused on something, she looked exceptionally adorable to him.

The test progressed with Daehyun looking expressionless the entire time, So Eun grabbing her hair trying to remember the facts, Youngjae looking confident and cocky while Yongguk was positively dying from the length of the test.

One hour and thirty minutes passed quickly when you were actively using your brain, and the students passed up their papers anxiously, wondering if they did well.

So Eun let out a breath, looking a little dazed. She thought she did better than usual, but she really wondered if she would be able to beat the Jung Daehyun who had gotten full marks the first time. She looked over at him and made a face at him, stucking out her tongue. Daehyun raised his brows tauntingly and So Eun just stared back.

----

Three days later, Teacher Shin walked into the class with a stack of papers in her arms. So Eun straightened at the sight and Daehyun just sat there emotionlessly, staring.

"Seongsaengnim, are those our history test papers?" So Eun's hands shot up before they even greeted the teachcer.

"Yes." Teacher Shin smiled.

So Eun swallowed and looked at the BAP boys. They gave her fighting signs and encouraging smiles, cheering her on.

"Not in any particular order, Yoo Youngjae." Teacher Shin called. Youngjae got up to collect his test paper and he gave a bright smile. "Ninety." he mouthed.

"Moon Jongup!"

Jongup grinned. He got a seventy. Studying with So Eun and Youngjae paid off.

"Kim So Eun!"

So Eun swallowed and she got to the front. "Well done So Eun, this is your best History score yet." Teacher Shin smiled softly. So Eun took her paper and peeked at the score.

An 87.

So Eun let out a breath, slightly frowning. This test was more difficult that the past, would Daehyun perform just as well?

Apparently so.

"Well done Daehyun, a hundred percent again! My word, you sure are the master of History aren't you?" Teacher Shin praised.

So Eun's face fell and Daehyun turned to smirk at her. So Eun slumped against her chair and buried her face in her arms on the table. "AISHHHH!!!"