elvin reasons

missing puzzle pieces

 

another prompt story

i figured i'd do something besides suju stories

Missing puzzle pieces

It started with some missing puzzle pieces.  Kevin had been searching desperately around the table that he was putting together a jigsaw puzzle on.

“Whatcha looking for?” Eli asked with a mouth full of ice cream.

“This was a brand new puzzle… how can I be missing pieces?” he stopped talking for a minute as Eli put a spoon of ice cream into his mouth. “You think Ppuppu ate them?”

Eli wiped Kevin’s mouth with his thumb and the digit clean. “Wouldn’t hurt to ask” he said before eating another mouthful of ice cream.

“Dongho!!!” Eli shouted.

A few minutes passed and there was no response. Kevin shouted this time.

Dongho appeared from wherever he was a few moments later.

“Whaaaaaaaat” he said rudely in English.

“Did Ppuppu eat the pieces to my puzzle?” Kevin asked, also in English. If Dongho was going to speak to them in English, he’d have to hold the whole conversation in English.

“I don’t know,” he whined, “I don’t watch every little thing he puts in his mouth.” He said dropping back into Korean.

 “Your dog is going to choke on something if you don’t keep an eye on him” Kevin pouted.

Dongho stormed off thinking Kevin was threatening his dog.

“I can get you a new puzzle if you want.” Eli said.

“No, it’s the principle of the thing. I need to figure out where the pieces went.” He continued to look around the room.

Eli searched with him. They searched room after room finding nothing. Eli stopped his search when a package showed up at the door.

“Ooh what’s that? Gonna ask someone out or something?” Hoon asked.

“Something.” Eli said and ran to his room to hide his new package. Before he could get around the corner, he ran into Kevin. They both fell down and Eli dropped his precious package. It hit the ground in front of Kevin’s face and his eyes opened just as the small box fell open.

There was a ring in it. Kevin picked it up and looked at it for a moment before handing it to Eli.

“You’re gonna make someone happy with that.” Kevin said with a bit of sadness in his voice.

Eli frowned and helped Kevin up before pushing him to his room.

“Kevin… can you sit down for a minute?”

“Sure, what’s up?”

Eli sighed then sat on the bed facing Kevin. He tried to say something then he paused and rethought how he would rephrase what he was going to say.

“How do you feel about me?” he finally said.

“You’re …a very important friend to me…” Kevin chose his words carefully. Eli could tell.

“I mean…” he grabbed Kevin’s hand and twined their fingers together.

The room was silent as Eli tried to figure out what he was going to say.

“How do you feel about… us?” he asked looking down at their hands.

“What do you mean us?”

“I mean you and me…” he swallowed and looked Kevin in the eyes, “together…” he almost choked on the word.

“Together…” Kevin mused, “Like a couple?”

“Yeah…” he looked hopeful.

“… Ok” Kevin said timidly.

“Is that a yes? Like we’ll be a couple?” he asked excitedly.

“Yeah.” Kevin smiled.

Eli took the ring out of the box he was holding and put it on Kevin’s finger.

“I got this in case you said yes,” he beamed, “it’s made out of a meteorite.”

Kevin didn’t know what to say so he settled on hugging Eli. He opened his eyes and frowned.

“Eli…”

“What’s wrong?” he looked worried.

“Look in Ongy and Tongy’s cage…” he said still frowning but looking at the cage for Eli’s hedgehogs.

“How the hell did they do that?” Eli asked as he watched his two hedgehogs gnawing on Kevin’s missing puzzle pieces.