Red String - Luna & UKwon

Collecting the Sunshine

AU Chapter

"Alright the plane is about to take off, I have to go now.  Come and visit us soon alright?"  A petite short haired girl was sitting in the aisle seat of the plane trying her best to sound cheerful to conceal the fact that she is about to break down in tears to the male who is on the other line.

"I will see what I can do, now hang up the phone and stop distrubing the other people on the plane."  a black haired male said as his last attempt to cheer the girl up while walking to catch his bus on the way home from work.  Even if the female tried her best to hold her tears in, he noticed the very faint hint of sadness in her voice.

The girl responded with a laughter and retorted against the male before saying their final goodbye and hanging up the phone.  The second the phone call ended tears started streaming down the female's eyes and a heavy sigh escaped the male's lips.  They were both probably thinking the same thing << Even if it was a short time together, it was still wonderful.  Even if nothing came out from it, I will still treasure the friendship we have. >>

Yes my dear readers, this is not a pair of lovers but rather a pair of friends who might have been lovers if the situation was in their favour.  They have chemistry, they had alot of common interests, they got along like brother and sister, they enjoyed each other's company but because of their uncertain future neither was brave enough to make a clear move.  Let us go back in time and retrace the steps of these two unfortunate souls.

Luna and UKwon found themselves back in their hometown each for a difference reason.  Luna decided to take a break from school and travel back home to find herself again.  While UKwon is about to start a new page in his life, and he is ready to venture out in the world yet he was uncertain on where to start.  The both of them have developed a lifestyle away from their hometown so they were slightly alone and decided to depend on their school network to find something to pass their new found time.  They attended the same school which is the path that linked these two "lovers" together.  They met at a volunteering event for the school, at the time neither of them thought of anything more about the other.  Luna was dating her boyfriend and UKwon wasn't really interested in the girl.  They exchanged polite conversation but their looks might have sparked some interest into the other but each assumed they would never see each other again.

The second they met was a few weeks after, there is a change each of their lifes tho.  Luna was now single and UKwon was able to find a path he wishes to pursue.  Luna was slowly getting use to being single, normally it won't be much of an issue but this time she was also away from friends and family so she felt alone in the world.  This was were UKwon stepped in, he didn't really know it but simply being present in Luna's life made It just a little easier to bear.  They both befriended a group of mutuals friends but she always felt the closest to him, she felt safe with him around.  She subsconsiously trusted him and followed him like a little sister.  At some point she noticed her feelings for him changed, she became easily jealous when he would walk off to talk to other girls, she would find herself looking at him rather dazed.  To make matters worse, somewhere along the way she caught him looking at her as well.  With the recent fall out of a precious relationship, she did not want to believe that she was in love.

As time passed, she started to grow more weary of his presence in his life.  She would be disappointed when they could not meet up, she was wonder if them being alone meant anything, she would start to notice the little quirks in his voice and facial expression.  She found out more and more about him and quite frankly she loved him more but at the same time she became more and more afraid of loving.  If he doesn't feel the same way, she feels like she was just being a fool, but if he does she doesn't know if she is ready to love again.  There is something about UKwon we havent talked about yet, he is your typical nice guy, he is kind and caring to everyone around him.  He would make an effort to walk their friends home, pick them up if they are lost.  These actions would often throw our girl off wondering if he is just being nice.  Even so there are certain parts of his actions that catches her attention as being different.

No matter how either side might not intentionally be showing their interest in the other, they often find themselves bickering like couples.  They would argue about why Luna has to do something for UKwon and UKwon commenting why Luna wants him to treat her to food.

According to Sulli, a mutual friend of theirs, UKwon always seems to be wondering if Luna is free to hang out or whether she will be showing up to their events.  Once UKwon called Luna to ask where she is even after Sulli pointed out that Luna is most likely busy with family.

The mix signals between them started after a weekend.  a group of friends decided to hike up a mountain for the weekend, all was well.   Luna and UKwon spent most of the day together chatting and fooling around like any other day.  Luna even thought they got alot closer when he was comfortable enough to ask her to feed him a cookie by leaning over and taking it from her hand.  However the night after she noticed UKwon started to become cold and aloof.  They no longer talked as often, she can sense the voice of annoyance in his msgs they share together and of course his cold shoulder he gave her when they met the following week.  Luna was confused at his sudden change of attitude, she though even if he doesn't have feelings for her, he has no right to treat her that way.  As a result she made no effort to be friendly to him either.

Strangely enough things started to change again, much to the horror of Luna's sanity.  Luna took a few day vacation with her family and completely stepped out of UKwon's life due to their lack of communication.  Towards the end of the trip she got a suprising message from UKwon asking her when she is coming back.  Luna finally understood the meaning to the phase "distance makes the heart grow fonder".  She was unaware of how to continue their friendship.  Her interest in him is rather evident to herself right now but UKwon's sudden uncharacteristic actions makes Luna doubt her feelings towards him.  Maybe deep down she just thought life would be easier if she believed her feelings are nothing more then a rebound since no real actions will need to be taken.  

Another fact that causes Luna's strong desire to be convinced this relationship is nothing, is due to Luna's limited time in her hometown.  She will be flying back to her previous lifestyle in a few months, and most likely away from UKwon, who is likely to stay put for a few years.  She is not sure if she is ready for a relationship where their futures are extremely uncertain.  Finally Luna decided it would be best if she tried to get over him and remain as friends, if fate was on their side maybe they will meet again with a future together as a possible option.

We both know getting over someone isn't as easy especially since Luna just got out of a relationship not too long after meeting UKwon.  She consistently finds herself smiling when he messages her, no matter how much she tries to not pay attention to him, his presence and attacks stick out like a sore thumb.  His friendly actions does not really help it either; he would walk next to her, sit across from her giving her the perfect view of his brown eyes and just enough intimacy to drive her crazy.

Their time together started to be more limited, and it seems like UKwon's affection towards her started to flaucate and the air around them started to become more awkward.  When in a group or when they are just messaging each other nothing seems odd at all but when they are alone there is alot of silence, both seems to be afraid of asking too much.  Luna turns rather silent and often dazed, UKwon on the other hand never really made an attempt to create conversation.  However they would still make an attempt to meet up and hang out just the two of them.

The most evident example is the both meeting up with each other alone twice over a span of 3 days but silence seems to dominate most of the time.  The first time was UKwon messageing Luna if she was free for lunch, Luna was estastic about the invitation but she promised to go shopping with Sulli during the day so she invited Sulli to come along as well.  Due to some personal issues, Sulli flaked a in the morning of the lunch so Luna and UKwon was left alone to have lunch together.  They laughed and talked during their lunch, honestly Luna really missed how things use to be with UKwon.  She has always been attracted to his dorky personality, his jokes, and of course his voice always manages to make her day.  The silence started after lunch, Luna was still waiting for Sulli to reply so UKwon made an attempt to wait with her even if he needed to go back to work.  They walked to a nearby cathedral, UKwon made a joke that Luna can sleep here for a few hours and he wil pick her up after work.  Luna glared at him and attempted to ignore him which sadly did not last long.  The normal standard of their relationship ended here since the next time they met silence tends to fill the air.

With Christmas being around the corner, Luna started to drag people to do Christmas shopping together.  Initally she asked Sulli and UKwon to go shopping together but due to Sulli flaking, the trip got cancelled.  At the end of the day Sulli and another friend of theirs HimChan somehow managed to go shopping together much to the dismay of UKwon.  Luna felt bad for ditching UKwon so she asked if he was free the next day to go shopping however to Luna's disappointment UKwon made prior commitments with another group of friends.  And out of the blue UKwon asked if Luna was going to go to the event he was attending with his friends, our girl was unaware if he meant to join him or if she would want to go alone.  After a few minutes of confusion UKwon suggested that he will meet her at the subway station so they can all go together.  The event itself did not have any problems, Luna minded her own business and UKwon talked to his friends the strangeness arrived when UKwon parted with his friends.  Luna then noticed how he acted more "manly" around his friends, when they were alone the UKwon that she knew came back.  He took care of her like she was a child and would make fun of her, while he was with his friends either side really talked to each other.  They contrainted their interaction with might have created suspicion within the group since Luna was the only girl within a group of 3 guys.

UKwon noticed how different she acted with she was around his friends verses being with their friends.  He did not comment about which he prefers but he pointed out that she was alot more quiet and non-violent when around people she doesn't know.  Luna laughed at him saying of course that is just a normal way to act, it is normal to be polite around people you are not comfortable with even if deep down she knew the first time they met she did not act the same.  

After the event ended, UKwon and Luna continued to hang out together for an additional 5 hours.  This was something that was strange for Luna, she just assumed that after the event they would part ways since this was considered normal for her standards.  Even if they were to hand out after it would not exceed 2 hours which would probaby include grabbing a bite and chilling for a while.  They just walked around the city without much of a direction towards where they are going or what to do. 

Towards the end of their mindless wondering, something really strange caught the attention of Luna.  Two mutual friend of theirs ( Joon and Sulli) called Luna and UKwon but UKwon was very keen on not letting them know that Luna and UKwon are together.  Due to the lack of invitations Luna or UKwon make to invite Joon to hang out with them she was able to understand why UKwon did not want Joon to know Luna was there.  It would be rather awkward if Joon found out he was not invited but Luna did not understand why Sulli was not allowed to know.  Provided that once when Sulli and UKwon hung out together he called Luna and bothered her about being busy.  Sulli is one of Luna's closest friends first she would have already know that she was hanging out with UKwon and second she would not care if they did.  Luna was extremely confused to why them hanging out has to be a secret, it was not like they were on a date nor was it a secret if they did.

UKwon initating a rather awkward side hug to mark their departure, it was at that moment when Luna found herself falling for him.  Luna is a skinship kind of girl and knows how she feels about someone from the warmth she felt from the hug and of course the length of the hug.  When she hugged him deep down she did not want to let go of him, they heights were perfect for each other.  UKwon was not too tall so Luna's face rested on his chest without feeling like she would be suffocating nor would she need to tiptoe to an extreme amount to reach his neck.  His body structure was perfect as well, he has broad shoulder and was also fit enough that she did not feel like she was hugging a stick, she felt so safe with him around.  And by knowing the duration of the hug before she wanted to let go made her aware of how close she felt with him.  She did not want to let do and she felt that he did not as well.  This meeting made alot of confusing thoughts to ender Luna's mind, she thought she would be over him but the I guess the hear always knows best even if the mind keeps telling you it is wrong.

Of course with such a large group of friends, Luna would hang out with the other people within the group, after UKwon she was closest to Zelo.  Luna and Zelo both hit it off well with their childish personality but their friendship deepened with their mature conversation topics.  It seems to spark a certain kind of annoyance for UKwon since he made an attempt dig out the relationship between Luna and Zelo.  Luna always manages to brush off the topic with the hopes that he won't believe she has any feelings for their dongsaeng.

The last week Luna and UKwon got to hang out together was with the presence of their friends, no one said anything but it was clear to everyone that they would miss each other alot.  It is already strange to suddenly change environments again but this time there is a chance they may never meet again.  UKwon had made a very good effort to avoid saying goodbye just as Luna made a really strong effort to not cry when they part ways.  It is sad to know that this might be the last time you get to see someone, when you get to hear them laugh, see them smile and of course just to be with each other whether there are romantic implications or not.  Even if Luna and UKwon did not get to be lovers when all the signs seems to be pointing at them to give it a try, it is still wonderful to know these two friendly souls got to meet each other and create a short but really sweet memory together.  Maybe this is not a goodbye, maybe in the future fate will bring them to the same city again and they can continue where they left off.  However until then it is important for them to treasure each other as friends.


Hey :) I am back with another oneshot.  I hope everyone likes it.  should i keep writing angst?  Do you think this pair really liked each other? or was it all just circumstancial? If you saw a couple like this in RL would you tell them to be together?

A/N this is once again inspired and based on the recent events in my life.  I would love to hear thoughts and comments.