Meeting the parents (part 6)

Babysitting with the Stars

Fifteen minutes passed, after Mrs. Kim had left the hotel room. Sunggyu sat on the edge of the bed, and stared at the back of Woohyun’s neck in silence.

Woohyun quietly flipped through the channels, his mind not even focused on what was happening on the screen. He suddenly turned off the television, and collapsed onto the other twin bed.

Sunggyu watched him groan and rest his hands above his head.

“Woohyun…”

The younger man didn’t say anything and stared up at the ceiling.

“Woohyun…”

“…What?”

Sunggyu sighed softly. “I’m sorry. I didn’t know it would be this hard. That everything would be so—.”

“I knew.” Woohyun sat up and sent Sunggyu a sad smile. “I knew from the beginning.”

“Right…” Sunggyu nodded, eyes downcast. “That’s why…you were so hesitant.”

“But I’m not anymore.” Woohyun’s words caused Sunggyu to look up. “Hyung, I want to get through this with you. We’ll do it together ok?”

“I…” Sunggyu’s looked away. “I’m scared.”

“Of what your parents will say?” Woohyun asked.

“I just…I mean I’m not ashamed of you at all. But…I’m tired of always disappointing them. I’m always doing things they don’t approve of…”

“Ah because they don’t approve of me.” Woohyun nodded.

“Huh?” Sunggyu looked up.

“Well you just said, doing things they don’t approve of. And well I’m a thing they don’t approve of, so…” Woohyun grinned when Sunggyu’s lips curved into a small smile.

“You’re so dumb.”

“But you love me~” Woohyun teased, playfully poking Sunggyu’s arm.

Sunggyu rolled his eyes, though he was smiling.

++

That afternoon, everyone headed to the beach for the filming of a rousing game of volleyball.

Sunggyu was not looking forward to it, for a variety of reasons. He was tired, for one, and didn’t feel like jumping and smacking a stupid ball around in the hot sun. Second of all, he didn’t want to see his parents right now, since he was still nervous about everything that happened so far.

And thirdly, he was still confused as to how Woohyun didn’t seem bothered in the least from his bottom crashing onto the grainy sand after missing the ball. He figured Woohyun’s had to at least be a little sore. It wasn’t as if the younger man was used to bottoming, and since it happened several times in the span of twenty four hours, it’s only natural there would be some soreness.

“What’re you thinking about?” Sunggyu looked to his side, as Myungsoo walked up beside him.

“Just stuff…” Sunggyu murmured, as they both stood, watching Woohyun, Hyun Su and Minjung toss the white tethered ball over the volley net. “Wait!” Sunggyu gasped turning to the younger man. “What the hell are you doing here?!”

Myungsoo blinked, nibbling on the straw of a smoothie. “Work.”

“You have a job?” Sunggyu stared incredulously.

“I’m an actor.” Myungsoo replied, calmly.

“O-Oh…” Sunggyu followed Myungsoo’s line of focus to Woohyun who had just dusted some sand out of his hair and pulled his shirt up to wipe some grains that had probably gotten in his eye. Sunggyu narrowed his eyes, when he realized that everyone could now see Woohyun’s wonderfully sculpted abs. But that wasn’t the only problem. Because when he turned around, the numerous hickeys from last night were quite apparent, scattered down one side of his lower back, and leading into the skin concealed by the waist band of his shorts.

Sunggyu immediately rushed up to him and yanked his shirt back down.

“Hyung?” Woohyun frowned. “What are you—?”

“O-On your back!” Sunggyu hissed, making sure to be extremely quiet, so no one could overhear. Woohyun gasped, instantly realizing what the singer was talking about.

“D-Did anyone see?”

“I don’t think—.”

“I did.” They both turned to see Myungsoo smirking at them, hands causally in his pockets.

“What are you doing here?!” Woohyun gasped.

“Work.” Myungsoo replied once again in a calm manner.

“Oh…” Woohyun nodded, sending the younger man a shifty glare.

“Honestly I kind of thought your job was stalking Sungyeol.” Sunggyu piped up, sheepishly, to which Myungsoo merely chuckled.

“Actually he’s here too.” Myungsoo explained. “We’re doing a CF together with the rest of the cast of the drama we’re in together.”

“Ah…” Sunggyu nodded, while Woohyun folded his arms.

‘So?” The shortest of the three frowned. “Why are you here then? Shouldn’t you be filming with the others?”

“We’re going to be filming in a couple of hours, so I have some free time.”

“Where’s Sungyeol then?” Woohyun looked around. “And I wonder why he didn’t tell me if he was coming…he knew I was here.”

“He wanted to surprise you I guess.” Myungsoo shrugged.

“Omo, who is this?” They all turned as Mrs. Kim skipped over to them, in a jolly manner donned in a floral print dress and a sun hat.

“Uh…mom this is…” Sunggyu looked from Woohyun to Myungsoo, unsure of what exactly Myungsoo was to him. They weren’t exactly friends…

“I’m Myungsoo. I’m Sunggyu hyung’s friend.” Myungsoo replied, coolly, to which Woohyun glared in the background.

“Wah such a handsome boy.” Mrs. Kim cooed, clasping her hands together excitedly. “Sunggyu honey, you never told me you had such a good looking friend~”

“What am I then?” Woohyun muttered under his breath. Sunggyu sent him an apologetic smile, and patted his shoulder, before turning to his mother again.

“Uh yeah…we’re not that close.”

“How could you say that Sunggyu-yah? When he came all this way to visit you!”

“He didn’t come to visit me…he’s shooting a commercial nearby.” Sunggyu sighed.

“Omo! You’re a celebrity too then!” Mrs. Kim gushed. “I wasn’t aware my Gyu had any celebrity friends! How exciting!”

Woohyun heaved a sigh, realizing that it wasn’t that Mrs. Kim liked Minjung especially, she just didn’t like him. Seeing as how she was treating Myungsoo so well, the truth was obvious.

“Actually he’s more Woohyun’s friend then mine…” Sunggyu murmured.

Woohyun merely snorted. “I’m not really that close to him either actually.”

Myungsoo didn’t appear offended by their words however, and still had a content, somewhat blank stare on his face.

“Oh, well that’s too bad.” Mrs. Kim pouted. “It would be nice if you had handsome friends Sunggyu-yah.” Then she smiled at Myungsoo. “I bet you have many pretty female friends you could introduce my Gyu to~”

“Female?” Myungsoo made a face, like he had just swallowed a bug. “I don’t—.”

“O-Ok, you should probably get going now!” Woohyun hastily shoved the younger actor away. “Sungyeol’s probably waiting for you!”

“No, actually I think he’s going to meet me here—.”

“Great! Then how about you go stand over there, and wait for him? Woohyun pointed to the far end of the beach, before pushing Myungsoo in the said direction.

Myungsoo scratched the back of his head and blinked.

“It looks kind of far….”

“Just go!” Woohyun yelled.

Meanwhile Sunggyu sighed and turned to his mother.

“Mom, I already told you, I have someone I like.”

“I know, but…” Mrs. Kim had a rare, serious look on her face, and her voice got quiet. “Is there a chance that…that person isn’t a girl?”

Sunggyu froze, nervously gulping. His eyes instinctively found Woohyun, who felt someone watching him and turned. He met Sunggyu’s worried gaze and immediately returned to his side.

“Hyung, what’s—?” Woohyun hesitated in his words when Mr. Kim suddenly approached them, looking sullen as usual.

No, Sunggyu thought. Not here. Not right now. This wasn’t how he wanted to tell his parents. He wanted them all to sit down somewhere private and discuss it. Not like this, out in the open all of a sudden. He wasn’t ready. He wasn’t—.

“Morning sir!” Sunggyu slowly turned to Woohyun, a little too shocked at the younger man’s rather casual greeting.

“Woohyun…what are you—?”

“I never got to ask you when we met in the bathroom before,” Woohyun continued, cool as a cucumber. “But how did you sleep last night?” He caught the slight hint of embarrassment brush across Mr. Kim’s features, and then it was gone. “From what I heard, it was quite hot last night—.”

“Omo!” Mrs. Kim blushed, pressing her palms to her blushing cheeks. “Don’t talk about that! How embarrassing!”

Sunggyu’s looked at all three of them in shock. What the hell were they going on about?

“Uh…” He began, causing the others to look at him. “What’re you talking about?”

“Hyung, I think its better if your parents tell you about it.” Woohyun smirked, turning to Mr. and Mrs. Kim. “After all they were the ones who—.”

“Ok, that’s enough.” Mr. Kim coughed. “As if you’re any better. Attempting to coerce my son into lewd acts in the bathroom.”

“What?!” Mrs. Kim gasped.

“Of course you would see it that way.” Woohyun shook his head. “I think it’s even more sad that I didn’t expect you to think differently…”

“Cut the high and mighty crap.” Mr. Kim growled, glaring daggers at Woohyun. “Your type sickens me.”

“And what type is that exactly?” Woohyun’s fists were clenched, as he stared Sunggyu’s father down. “A nothing piece of ? Because that’s what you said last night!”

“Woohyun stop!” Sunggyu gripped onto his arms, pulling him back. Woohyun averted his gaze, huffing angrily. “Calm down ok?” Sunggyu rubbed his shoulders, attempting to meet his gaze. “I said I would talk to him.”

“Fine.” Woohyun sighed, eyes downcast.

Sunggyu turned to his parents, still holding onto Woohyun’s arm. “Like I told mom before…we’ll talk about this tonight. We’ll sit down…all of us.”

++

“HYUNG!”

“YEOLLIE!”

Sungyeol ran up to Woohyun and they engaged in a brotherly hug, while Myungsoo, Sunggyu and Hyun Su stood idly by. They had finished filming the volleyball game scene for the show that afternoon, so Woohyun called up Sungyeol so they could hang out. Sunggyu’s mother took it upon herself to, as she put it, “have a girl’s day” with a reluctant Minjung and dragged her to the local mall. And no one knew where Mr. Kim went.

They all had to put on disguises—masks, sunglasses, caps, etc. Even Hyun Su had to wear a blue baseball cap with a pig on it.

“Ah this isn’t really the same without Dongwoo hyung.” Sungyeol sighed, pulling away from Woohyun. “It’s not even a group hug anymore…it’s just a boring normal hug.”

“What about if we hug?” Myungsoo gestured to Sunggyu.

“No!” Woohyun growled, gripping onto Sunggyu’s arm, and then turning to Hyun Su. “Yah, what are you doing kid? That guy is trying to steal away Gyu appa!”

Hyun Su paused for a moment, studying Myungsoo’s face.

“I’ll hug you Soo hyung!” He announced and held up his arms. Woohyun’s jaw dropped to the floor, and immediately made a grab for his child’s arm.

“Hyun Su! Don’t go near that—wait did you just call him hyung? How come he’s ‘Soo hyung’ and I’m a ‘gross ahjussi?!’”

“Because ahjussi’s too old to be a hyung.” Hyun Su blinked innocently.

Woohyun sunk to his knees in a dramatic fashion, gripping onto Hyun Su’s arms. “Hyun Su-yah…why are you so cruel to this ahjussi?”

“I’m hungry…” Sunggyu glanced into the distance at the various shops and restaurants decorating the pier.

“Hyung~your husband is hurting.” Woohyun whined. “Do something about this.”

“What husband?” Sunggyu rolled his eyes, taking Hyun Su’s hand and walking away from the clingy tree.

Sungyeol sighed at the sad sight, feeling second hand embarrassment for his stupid friend.

++

They all settled into a booth nestled deep in the corner of the restaurant, to ensure their privacy. Woohyun and Sunggyu sat on one side with Hyun Su in between them, while Sungyeol and Myungsoo sat across from them.

“What’s wrong with your parents?” Sungyeol suddenly asked. Woohyun and Sunggyu looked up from their menus, sending the taller man confused looks.

“How’d you know about—?”

“I texted him.” Myungsoo smirked.

“Right…of course you did.” Sunggyu sighed, turning to Sungyeol. “Don’t worry about it. I’ll handle it—.”

“You mean we’ll handle it.” Woohyun slung an arm around Sunggyu’s shoulder. “Right?”

Sunggyu smiled. “Right.”

“Harabeoji and Halmeoni are mean to ahjussi.” Hyun Su pouted. “I don’t like them.”

Woohyun grinned and ruffled Hyun Su’s black hair.

“Don’t say that Hyun Su-yah.”

“But they made ahjussi sad.” Hyun Su pulled his cap off into his lap. “Yesterday, before you took that bath with Gyu appa you disappeared—.”

Sunggyu cleared his throat loudly, as Woohyun clamped a hand over the child’s mouth. But Sungyeol and Myungsoo was already grinning and snickering like naughty school children that had just played a prank on their teacher.

“Took a bath did you?” Sungyeol snorted, barely containing his laughter.

“Don’t say anything.” Woohyun warned darkly.

“What is there to say?” Sungyeol was struggling so hard to resist cracking up.

“Hyun Su,” Myungsoo smirked. “What’s the opposite of being on top?”

Hyun Su blinked innocently. “Bottom?”

That immediately sent Myungsoo and Sungyeol into a fit of chuckles, and had Sunggyu rolling his eyes.

“You guys are so…” Woohyun grumbled. “If we weren’t in public right now I would be doing very illegal things to you right now. I swear when we get home you’re both not going to be able to walk—.”

“Pfft…you mean like you this morning—?”

“I could walk perfectly fine this morning!” Woohyun exclaimed, defensively.

“Ah…” Sunggyu turned to him with a look of concern. “Actually I was kind of worried about that too since—.”

“Hyung!”

“What?” Sunggyu frowned. “You totally went crazy! I didn’t even know someone could get so—”

“Ok ok!” Woohyun huffed, looking away in embarrassment.

“Daebak.” Sungyeol shook his head in amazement. “But thanks a lot, because now I lost my appetite.”

“You’re the one who brought it up in the first place!” Woohyun frowned.

“I did nothing!” Sungyeol defended. “I only asked about Sunggyu hyung’s parents.”

“Oh…right.” Woohyun blinked dumbly.

“What are appas talking about?” Hyun Su asked, sweetly, looking up at all of them with big eyes. “What happened to ahjussi last night? Did ahjussi get hurt?”

“You could say that.” Myungsoo grinned.

“What happened?!” Hyun Su gasped, worriedly looking to Woohyun.

“No, I’m fine.” Woohyun patted Hyun Su’s head reassuringly. The six-year-old merely pouted, clearly not believing Woohyun’s words. “Really Hyun Su. I just…uh I was playing soccer, and I kind of went overboard, that’s all.”

“Ahjussi went out to play soccer in the night?” Hyun Su furrowed his brows in confusion.

“Uh no…i-it was a game. Yeah, I was playing a soccer game on my phone.”

“Oh.” Hyun Su nodded. “What game?”

“Aren’t you hungry?” Woohyun decided to change the subject. “I’m hungry. Let’s order.”

“Nice save.” Sungyeol snorted, before turning to Sunggyu. “So about your parents…I heard they hate Woohyun hyung’s guts.”

Sunggyu sighed. “They don’t hate his guts…they just…aren’t that fond of him.”

“That’s putting it lightly.” Woohyun muttered, as the waiter approached them. It was a male waiter, and his hands were shaking as he placed glasses of water down on the table.

“W-Welcome to…oh my gosh. I-It’s really you!” The waiter gushed.

Sungyeol leaned in across the table to Woohyun.

“Yah, who’s fan do you think he is?”

“Gyu hyung’s of course.” Woohyun replied, confidently.

“No way. He’s totally Myungsoo’s. That guy has a bunch of fanboys.”

“So does Gyu hyung.” Woohyun sent him a dry look. “And don’t you have a lot of fanboys also?”

“Me?” Sungyeol blinked. “Well...I don’t know—.”

“C-Can I have your autograph?!” The waiter shoved a napkin and pen in front of Hyun Su’s face.

“…What?” Sungyeol gawked at the waiter. “You…you want Hyun Su’s…?”

“Isn’t that great Hyun Su?” Woohyun patted the boy’s head. “You have a fan!”

Hyun Su looked from Woohyun to the male waiter and blinked.

“Hyun Su-yah…” Woohyun nudged him. “Do this~” He started a heart throwing demonstration, and Hyun Su excitedly followed along.

After Hyun Su drew a picture of, what he claimed was a rainbow holding hands with both Sunggyu and Woohyun, he proudly handed it to the fan.

“I’ll treasure it with my life~” The waiter sang and danced away, completely forgetting about actually doing his job and taking their orders.

“Hyun Su…” Woohyun pouted. “How come you gave that random guy a pretty drawing?”

Hyun Su turned to his appa. “…Ahjussi, you told me to treat fans nicely.”

“I know but…why won’t you make me a pretty drawing?” Woohyun complained, gripping onto Hyun Su’s small arm. “I want Hyun Su’s artwork too!”

“Yah, are you being serious right now?” Sunggyu snorted.

“Of course I am! Don’t you want Hyun Su’s autograph too? That’s like the best gift in the whole world!”

Sunggyu frowned. “In the whole world? Then what about my autograph?”

“What about your autograph?” Woohyun raised an eyebrow.

“Hyun Su’s autograph is better than mine?” Sunggyu muttered, folding his arms and looking away.

Woohyun chuckled. “Yeah its way better than hyung’s~”

“Yah, who’s fan are you?” Sunggyu shoved Woohyun in the arm.

“Hyun Su’s~” Woohyun grinned.

“Yah.” Sunggyu pouted, punching Woohyun lightly in the arm. “You’re supposed to my fan.”

“Nope~ I moved on.” Woohyun laughed. “Hyung’s getting too old. You’re not cute anymore~”

W-Well you’re not either!” Sunggyu stammered, though he was shaking his fists around, obviously attempting aegyo.

“Aigoo…” Woohyun beamed, practically giggling. “Gyu hyung’s so cute~”

Sunggyu increased his aegyo attack, as he cutely tilted his head, waving his fists around.

“What the…” Sungyeol made a face, turning to Myungsoo. “Yah, can you believe this…?” However, Myungsoo was staring at Sungyeol rather creepily. Sungyeol sighed and turned to Hyun Su, who seemed to be the only other sane person left at the table.

“It’s just you and me kid.”

Hyun Su looked up from his kids menu, which also doubled as a mini coloring book.

“Appas are always like this.” Hyun Su shrugged, totally used to the greasy couple.

“To put up with those two on a daily basis….” Sungyeol shook his head, staring at Hyun Su as if he were a Nobel Prize winner. “You are one brave and patient soul.”

++

That evening, Hyun Su was sent to stay with Minjung while Sunggyu and Woohyun went to talk with Sunggyu’s parents. With the director’s assistance, they managed to get the hotel kitchen space for their dinner and discussion.

“Hyung…what are you going to say to them?” Woohyun asked as they walked down the hotel hallway towards the elevator.

“Don’t know.”

Woohyun turned, with a shocked look.

“What do you mean you don’t know?”

Sunggyu shrugged, though he was chewing his lip nervously.

“I kind of figured…I would just wing it?”

“Wing it?” Woohyun blinked, mouth agape.

“But in a slow manner. You know? Just ease them into it…”

“Well…if that’s what you want.” Woohyun nodded, and clutched onto Sunggyu’s hand in the small elevator. “I’ll be right there. By your side.”

Sunggyu turned to him and smiled slightly. “Yeah.”

++

“I-I’m dating Woohyun!” Sunggyu blurted out, sending the room spiraling into a deafening silence. They all had barely sat down for the dinner that Mrs. Kim prepared when Sunggyu suddenly made such an announcement.

Woohyun turned to Sunggyu, who was sitting next to him on the small square table.

“What happened to easing them into it?!”

“I..I don’t know!” Sunggyu spluttered, clamping a hand to his forehead as if trying to hide behind his fingers. “I panicked…”

“…E-Excuse me?” Mrs. Kim blinked, appearing to be in a state of shock mixed with disbelief. Mr. Kim however, said nothing and merely chewed on a piece of lettuce.

Sunggyu gulped. “W-Woohyun…is the person I was telling you about before mom. He’s the one that I want to—.”

Suddenly Mr. Kim pushed his plate forward and stood up, causing everyone to look at him.

“I lost my appetite.” He muttered and got up, already making his way to the door. Sunggyu immediately stood up.

“W-Wait!” He pleaded, and Mr. Kim stopped in his steps, back facing his son. “Abeoji, it’s not right! You can’t treat Woohyun like this. Y-You made wrong assumptions about him and—!”

“He disgusts me.” Mr. Kim interrupted, not bothering to turn around. “I was right about that.”

Woohyun kept his eyes downcast. His fists were clenched in his lap.

“Why?” Sunggyu asked—no demanded. “Because you think he’s using me?”

Mr. Kim slowly turned at that. He eyed Woohyun. “You told him that—?”

“Of course he told me! H-How could you even say that abeoji?” Sunggyu frowned. “Do you even know him at all—?”

“I know when someone is taking advantage of my son!” Mr. Kim growled. “You’re too naïve for your own good Sunggyu. You fail to see people for who they really are—.”

“Naïve?” Sunggyu snorted. “That’s the one thing I wish I could be! Do you even know anything at all? That person…” Sunggyu pointed at Woohyun. “When I was a hopeless loser working two jobs, performing at some ty club…he believed in me…before he even knew me.” Sunggyu pursed his lips, pausing for a moment before continuing. “When the paparazzi were banging on my door, accusing me of sick horrible things…even my manager and fans didn’t know what to believe…but that person,” He pointed again at Woohyun, who by now raised his head, staring nervously at Sunggyu. “He believed me.”

“Hyung…” Woohyun’s murmured, lower lip trembling.

“So you can’t say he’s using me! I-If anything I’m the one using him! I depend on him a lot…in the business I’m in, I know its cutthroat. I know it’s dog-eat-dog. I know there are people ready to manipulate me at every corner. I already know all that abeoji. But like that…I became like you.”

Mr. Kim looked away, but kept silent.

“I became cynical. I didn’t believe in anybody, and it was so hard to trust people. But…because of Woohyun, and Hyun Su too, things became a bit warmer, a bit brighter. I learned to smile more. Be happy more. Look up more. If that’s Woohyun using me…then I’ll allow it for the rest of my life. Because like that…I honestly believe I can be the happiest.”

The room was once again quiet.

“S-Say something.” Sunggyu pleaded, attempting to read his father’s blank expression.

“S-Sunggyu-yah…” It was Mrs. Kim who spoke up instead. “Is this…since when has this been going on? W-With Woohyun…”

“A couple of months…” Sunggyu murmured.

“You mean….this whole time? While I was trying to set you up with Minjung….and you,” She turned to Woohyun. “You didn’t say anything, while I...” She couldn’t even finish her sentence and averted her gaze.

“I-I’m really sorry.” Woohyun’s voice was quiet, almost a whisper.

“Don’t say sorry.” Sunggyu sat down beside him, frowning. “You didn’t do anything wrong.”

Woohyun turned to Mr. Kim. “Sir, I…I know I disgust you. And I probably won’t ever get you to like me...but I...please don’t tell me not to see Sunggyu hyung anymore. I-I love him.” Tears were streaming down his face by now. Sunggyu put a comforting arm around him, while Mrs. Kim covered , silent sobs escaping her lips as well.

“Oh my…” Mrs. Kim shook her head. “I don’t…this is just…”

“Please don’t hate him…abeoji...eomeoni…” Sunggyu pleaded, looking from his father to his mother. “Please….”

“I’m sure you know how stupid this all is.” Mr. Kim muttered, garnering both boys’ attention. “Getting involved with a man…in this society, and in the business you’re in as well…”

“I-I know.” Sunggyu murmured.

“Well then, there’s nothing left to say.” Mr. Kim said in a final tone, ending the conversation. He casually sat back down and started munching on his salad again.

The other three stared at him in confusion.

“That…that’s all?” Sunggyu blinked. “You mean you—?”

“He’s obviously not using you, if he’s willing to put himself in such a position for you.” Mr. Kim muttered. “I don’t think any man would willingly choose to love another man.”

“That…” Woohyun stared in amazement, feeling more tears flooding his eyes. “S-Sir…thank you!”

Mr. Kim coughed lightly, avoiding eye contact as he stuffed some carrots into his mouth.

“W-Wait a second!” Mrs. Kim announced, causing everyone to look at her. “I haven’t said what I wanted to say yet!”

Sunggyu and Woohyun waited with baited breath for her opinion.

“Does this mean I don’t have to find you a girlfriend?”

“…Huh?” Sunggyu blinked.

“I’m not really used to the idea of…what is it? Gays? But Woohyun-ah, I really like you, so I…I’ll make an exception for you.”

“R-Really?” Woohyun couldn’t believe his ears. Sunggyu’s parents, in their own way, had accepted him as Sunggyu’s significant other.

“I…I just didn’t want Sunggyu-yah to be lonely.” Mrs. Kim smiled, sadly at her son. “We don’t get to see you much, since you live so far away…I always worry about you. Whether you're doing well. If people are treating you nicely. If you’re eating and sleeping enough.”

“M-Mom…” Sunggyu eyes glistened, his heart aching at his mother’s words.

“But…I think that, if Woohyun-ah is there…he can do that in my place.” Mrs. Kim regarded Woohyun.

“I-I will!” Woohyun nodded, avidly.

Mrs. Kim smiled warmly at him, for the first time, right at him.

“Thank you.”

++

That night, Woohyun rolled over in bed, looking across to the other twin bed, where Sunggyu and Hyun Su were sleeping. Sunggyu was on his side, with one arm over Hyun Su’s small dozing body.

He smiled at the two, as his eyes drifted close.

“Woohyun….”

He heard Sunggyu’s voice softly whispering. He smiled but didn’t open his eyes.

“Yeah?”

“Are you sleeping?”

Woohyun opened his eyes to see Sunggyu looking across at him.

“No, I’m just sleeping with my eyes open.” Woohyun grinned.

“Shut up.” Sunggyu chuckled quietly. His smile never left his eyes as he gazed at Woohyun. “Thanks…”

“For what?” Woohyun held his comforter closer to his body.

“I think…that was the first real conversation I’ve had with my parents in years…”

“Really?” Woohyun’s lips parted slightly.

“Yeah.”

“Hyung, did you really…” Woohyun bit his lip. “About spending the rest of your life with me…did you really mean that?” 

Sunggyu blinked, and then suddenly became embarrassed.

“I-I’m tired. Good night.” He stuttered, before burying his face into his pillow, beside Hyun Su.

Woohyun smiled warmly. “Me too hyung…I also want to be with you for the rest of my life.”

At that he closed his eyes, but he didn’t miss the smile forming on Sunggyu’s lips.

++

It was about three o’clock in the morning, when Woohyun heard some knocking on their hotel room door. He sleepily sat up and turned to see Sunggyu and Hyun Su fast asleep.

Woohyun sighed and sleepily trudged out of bed. He checked through the peephole first, to see none other than Sunggyu’s father standing there. He quickly unlocked the door.

“Sir…are you ok?” Woohyun asked, squinting from the unfamiliar light shining in the hallway. “What are you—?”

“I want to have a talk with you.” Mr. Kim stated.

Woohyun blinked. “R-Right now?”

“Let’s take a walk.”