Choosing the Pairings

Babysitting with the Stars

When Sunggyu woke up, he didn’t recognize his surroundings. He glanced around, at the bare room, and the white tile floor, noticing the sterile feeling. Sunggyu recognized it as a hospital room.

How’d I get here?” He wondered when the door opened and Woohyun came in, holding a cup of coffee. Woohyun’s eyes went wide when he saw that Sunggyu was awake.

“You…did you bring me here?” Sunggyu asked. Woohyun just looked at him, then turned around and ran out of the room. Sunggyu sat there, stunned. “What was that about?” The door opened again, but this time it was the doctor and Sunggyu’s manager, Yoon Sang Hyun.

“Sunggyu!” Sang Hyun shouted and ran up to Sunggyu.

“Hyung…what happened?” Sunggyu asked.

“You just had a little food poisoning.” The doctor explained.

“Food poisoning?”

“You should be fine in a few days. Just rest and make sure to keep hydrated. For today you should stay away from solid foods. Soups and liquids only. After you stop feeling nauseous, you can start eating plain foods like plain rice or bread.”

++

“This is why I told you not to eat that sushi yesterday!” Sang Hyun warned, after the doctor left.

“Anyways…how’d I get here?” Sunggyu asked.

“That Nam Woohyun kid brought you.”

“…Oh.” Sunggyu nodded.

“Actually he was here the whole time, while you were sleeping. He seemed really worried” Sang Hyun said and looked around. “I wonder where he went…Anyways, the filming was halted.”

“Is it because of me?”

“Only partly. There were some issues with the lighting and the set, so it’ll continue in two days.”

++

Sungyeol walked into the kitchen, that night, tired out after filming for his new drama. He the light and saw Woohyun huddled in the corner, nibbling on a piece of bread.

“Holy !” Sungyeol yelled. “What are you doing sitting in the dark?!” Woohyun looked up at him with sad pitiful puppy dog eyes. “You think you’re being cute, but it’s just creepy!”

“Don’t be mean!” Woohyun whined. “I had a horrible day!” Sungyeol sighed and sat down on the floor beside him.

“What happened?” The choding asked. “Wasn’t it supposed to be your first day of filming?”

“It got canceled…” Woohyun mumbled.

“So that’s why you’re upset?”

“It’s not that! It’s because of Kim Sunggyu!”

“Kim Sunggyu?” Sungyeol blinked. “You mean that guy who you idolize?”

“I don’t idolize him!” Woohyun shouted. “I was just a fan of his music!”

“Was?”

“Not anymore!” Woohyun pouted. “He’s a jerk!”

“You mean you met him?” Sungyeol asked.

“Yeah, he’s also in the show I’m in.” Woohyun explained. “When I first met him he seemed like a nice guy. But then he started talking smack about me behind my back! He said Kimchi and the Brain was stupid and cheesy.”

“But it was…”

“That’s not the point!” Woohyun complained. “The point was that he said it behind my back! He’s a two faced liar!”

“I think you’re taking this out of proportion.”

“No I’m not!” Woohyun took a bite out of his bread. “Ugh…what is happening to me Sungyeol?! This is what Kim Sunggyu has done to me! I’m eating carbs!”

Sungyeol rolled his eyes and got up. “You need to calm down, maybe get some sleep.”

“And that’s not even the worst of it!” Woohyun ignored Sungyeol’s advice. “That dummy head had the nerve to get sick right in front of me! Collapsing onto the floor and everything!” Sungyeol sighed, and walked to the fridge. “I saved his life you know?” Woohyun stated. “Even though he was mean to me, I still carried his ungrateful to the ambulance!”

“Wow, you’re a real hero.” Sungyeol said sarcastically.

“Damn right I am!” Woohyun stood up with a new found determination. “Kim Sunggyu you better be on your hands and knees, ready to beg for forgiveness!”

“But he barely did anything to you…”

“Because even then, I won’t forgive you!” Woohyun shouted to the sky, clearly delusional. “Only if you become my slave will I even consider forgiving you!”

Sungyeol ignored Woohyun and took out his phone. “Ya!” Woohyun shouted. “Are you even listening to me?!”

“Nope.”

++

Woohyun walked into the studio, prepared to give Sunggyu the cold shoulder, but then he saw him.

Sunggyu was peacefully sitting, sipping some water and listening to something his manager was telling him.

Woohyun started to feel a little guilty for not even bothering to check how Sunggyu had been the past few days. He quickly shook away the thoughts. “Concentrate Namstar!” Woohyun told himself. “Don’t think about that jerk…only think about doing your job well!”

“Hey…Woohyun!”

Woohyun paused, after hearing Sunggyu calling his name. It sounded weird, that someone he didn’t even know was addressing him so casually. He watched Sunggyu come up to him with an innocent expression. As if he didn’t just bad mouth Woohyun a few days ago. Woohyun shook his head in disgust.

“I heard you were the one who helped me to the ambulance…and waited with me, until my manager came.” Sunggyu said. Woohyun stuck his hands in his pocket and nodded, refusing to make eye contact. “Here.” Sunggyu handed him an envelope.

Woohyun took the envelope and stared at it. “What’s this?”

Sunggyu looked down bashfully. “Uh…w-well I wanted to thank you, but I didn’t really know how…so I just…”

Woohyun opened the envelope, and took out a small clear colored card. “A Starbucks gift card…”

“Uh yeah…sorry I didn’t know if you like coffee—.”

“A Starbucks gift card…” Woohyun repeated, and then looked up at Sunggyu angrily. “This is all I get for saving your life?! A ty gift card?!”

Sunggyu was taken aback by his sudden aggressive outburst, and didn’t know what to say. “Uh well what did you want?”

Woohyun scoffed, and laughed bitterly, crossing his arms, and looking away in repulsion. But then, Sunggyu leaned in and patted him on the head. Woohyun looked up at him in shock.

“Thanks for saving my life.” Sunggyu said and Woohyun was speechless for a moment. “Is that what you wanted?” Sunggyu smiled, thinking that a surprised Woohyun was kind of cute. Woohyun finally managed to remind himself of his hatred for the older man and shoved Sunggyu’s hand away.

“Don’t touch me!” Woohyun spat, and glared.

Sunggyu frowned. This wasn’t the sort of nice, somewhat awkward boy he first met. “What’s your problem?”

“What’s my problem?” Woohyun snorted. “It’s you! You’re my problem Kim Sunggyu! So don’t talk to me anymore, because I hate you!”

At that he stomped off, leaving Sunggyu standing there, more than a little pissed off.

He hates me? What the hell did I do to him?! Crazy weirdo!” Sunggyu thought to himself, and marched off into his dressing room.

++

“This is Babysitting with the Stars!” An MC, in a suit announced. Woohyun, Sunggyu and a bunch of other celebrities sat in two rows to the right of the MC. Sunggyu was sitting in the back row, and Woohyun the front row. Sunggyu kept staring at the back of Woohyun’s head. He didn’t understand why the shorter man hated him. It wasn’t like Sunggyu did something to him. They seemed to be getting along well, when they first met a few days ago.

Maybe he saw those tabloids that told all those lies about me…” Sunggyu wondered.

After everyone had introduced themselves on camera, the MC moved everyone right along to the partner selection portion of the program. Two staff members wheeled in a huge brightly colored spinning selection wheel that had all the celebrities’ names on it.

“Ok let’s start the partner selection!” The MC announced and spun the huge wheel, but his tie got stuck in one of the wheel’s crevices and lifted him up and ended up choking him.

“Stop the cameras!” Someone shouted, as some of the crew rushed to help the MC.

“Oh for the love of God!” A thirty-something actor groaned. “Can’t these people do anything right?

“These people are so unprofessional.” A female model whispered to another woman, most likely also a model. “This is such a waste of time.”

“You know I have another schedule after this?” An actress with far too much makeup complained to the staff, and pointed at her watch.

This is why Sunggyu didn’t get along well with other celebrities. They were so self absorbed. Here he was concerned for the MC’s well being, and all these people cared about was their own selves.

After a few minutes of discussion, it was decided, they would instead have the MC pick buttons with everyone’s names on them out of a pouch. And the filming resumed…

“And the first name is…!” The MC reached into the pouch and took out a button. “Our resident rock star Kim Sunggyu!” There was polite applause from the other celebrities, except for Woohyun, who refused to clap for someone he hated. “Now let’s see who he’s paired up with?” The MC took out another button. “Beautiful actress, Park Eun Hee!” Everybody applauded, until Eun Hee’s manager approached the producers, who then gave the MC the X signal.

Sunggyu sighed and shook his head. “It must be because of those tabloids…” He figured.

The MC reached back into the bag. “Let’s see who’ll be Kim Sunggyu’s partner!” He took out another button and announced the name. “Cute girl idol Lee So Young!” But then the producers sent another X signal. The MC was getting frustrated, and demanded a cut. “Ok what’s going on here?”

The producers took the MC aside and explained the situation, but Woohyun could still hear them.

“They’re afraid being partners with Kim Sunggyu will get them involved in a scandal…” A male staff said in a hushed tone. “You know…because of Kim Sunggyu’s reputation?” The MC nodded, in understanding.

Woohyun felt annoyed. Sure he hated Sunggyu, but he still felt bad for him. As a fan, he never believed in those cruel baseless rumors that magazines liked to cook up, just to stir up some drama.

Especially when it came to Sunggyu.

He just didn’t think Sunggyu was capable of the outrageous accusations that were made of him. But then again, he didn’t really know the guy. Since he did say those cruel things about Woohyun behind his back who knows what else he was capable of, Woohyun figured.

The staff ended up taking out the buttons of the celebrities who didn’t wish to be partnered with Sunggyu, which were pretty much all the females and even some of the males. The MC sighed and reached back into the pouch and pulled out a button.

“And Kim Sunggyu’s partner is…!” He looked at the button. “Nam Woohyun!” Woohyun’s jaw dropped. “No…this can’t be happening!”

The MC glanced at the producers and Woohyun’s manager, who gave him a thumbs up. The MC sighed in relief and then held the button up high. “Yes! We have our first pairing! Kim Sunggyu and Nam Woohyun! Please come to the front you two!”

Woohyun frowned and did as he was told. There was nothing he could do. He wasn’t as valuable as some of the other celebrities that they would care about his reputation, so it wasn’t like he could protest.

“Wow! Who would think our first pairing would be a male-male pairing!” The MC joked, and everyone politely laughed.

Everyone except for Sunggyu and Woohyun.

“So how do you two feel about being partners?” The MC held the mike up for Sunggyu to talk.

“Uh…” Sunggyu bit his lip. He didn’t like lying, but he had to lie. He couldn’t just say that he wasn’t happy about this at all. That he really didn’t want to be partners with someone who hated him.

The MC laughed awkwardly, as Sunggyu wasn’t saying anything.

Woohyun decided to take action. He grabbed the mike and put on as charming a smile as he could.

“Although I would have liked to be partners with one of the pretty ladies that we have sitting here~” He grinned, and some of the women clearly fell for it. “I’m looking forward to being partners with Sunggyu hyung~” He put an arm around Sunggyu, who stared at him in shock. “You see I’m a big fan of his. And I hope that we can become close like brothers as we take care of a cute kid together~”

“Ah that’s so nice.” The MC nodded, after taking the mike back. “Hopefully you two can become like brothers.” Woohyun nodded cutely and smiled at Sunggyu.

Sunggyu was extremely confused, and then remembered Woohyun was an actor.

He was acting right now.

++

While they waited for the other celebrities to get paired up, they sat on a bench to the left of the MC and the others, where the decided pairs all sat. Sunggyu subtly watched Woohyun. The minute the camera was off them, Woohyun’s charming smile faded completely and a blank, slightly annoyed one took over.

Sunggyu found himself getting more and more disgusted with Woohyun’s fakeness.

“Stop staring at me…” Woohyun whispered, without making eye contact.

“W-what?”

Woohyun turned to him, glaring and whispered. “I said stop looking at me. It’s pissing me off.”

“You think I care if it pisses you off?” Sunggyu snorted, not appreciating Woohyun’s bad attitude.

“Oh you should.” Woohyun warned, and then smiled again and clapped, when the MC told a dumb joke.

“Please…what are you going to do?” Sunggyu scoffed.

“I’m stronger than I look.” Woohyun replied darkly.

“Is that so…Pickles Jr.?” Sunggyu smirked, noticing Woohyun clench his fists.

“You bastard…”

“Heh…I win.” Sunggyu grinned victoriously.

Woohyun leaned closer. “I want to punch you in the face so bad right now.”

“Just go ahead and try.” Sunggyu challenged.

At this point, they had completely forgotten about the filming, and were engaged in a hardcore staring contest.

“You’re a lying jerk.” Woohyun muttered.

“Well you’re a lying fake.” Sunggyu countered.

“You wear too much eyeliner.”

“You wear too much lip gloss.” Sunggyu said. “Actually just the fact that you wear lip gloss at all is bad enough.”

“You’re a…a head.” Woohyun frowned.

“Wow that’s the best you got loser?”

Woohyun struggled for a moment. “You…you trout-footed gasbreeder!”

Sunggyu gave him a WTF look. “What did you just call me?”

“Oh you heard me~” Woohyun smiled evilly.

“You little—!”

“Cut! Ok that’s good!” The director yelled, signaling they were done with the filming for the day.

Before their managers could approach them, Woohyun and Sunggyu barged out of the studio. Sunggyu shoved Woohyun into a nearby storage closet and shut the door.

“What the hell is your problem?!” Sunggyu pressed Woohyun up against the closet wall.

“Why are you so stupid?! I already told you! I hate you!” Woohyun shoved Sunggyu away.

“Why?! I didn’t even do anything to you!” Sunggyu grabbed Woohyun’s collar.

“You’re such a liar!” Woohyun spat.

“What are you even talking about?!” Sunggyu asked. “I haven’t even talked to you enough to lie to you!”

“Just shut up you dumb liar!”

“Stop calling me a liar!”

“No! Liar! Kim Sunggyu is a big fat liar!” Woohyun shouted, until Sunggyu clamped a hand over Woohyun’s mouth.

“I told you to shut up…” Sunggyu’s warned, lowering his voice. Woohyun couldn’t really see in the dark, and just reached out blindly, grabbing onto something soft. He heard a squeak, and Sunggyu backed up.

“W-what the hell are you doing?!” Sunggyu gasped.

Woohyun wiped the Sunggyu germs off his mouth. “Get out of my way!” He stomped past Sunggyu towards the door.

“I’m not done with you!” Sunggyu grabbed onto his arm, pulling him back.

“Let go of me!”

“No!”

Woohyun managed to reach the door knob and opened it, falling through, taking Sunggyu with him. Sunggyu ended up falling on top of Woohyun.

“Argh! Get off me!” Woohyun whined and tried pushing Sunggyu off him.

“No!” Sunggyu made a grab for Woohyun’s arms, pinning them down onto the ground. “Not until you tell me why you hate me!”

“You’re heavy you jerk!”

“Well then tell me why you…” Sunggyu paused when he spotted their managers and some staff walking up to them. “W-why you’re so cute Woohyunnie~”

Woohyun stared at him, shocked, and then also noticed the staff. He immediately put on a smile, and brought out all the aegyo he could muster.

“Hyung~” Woohyun puffed up his cheeks. “Woohyunnie wants to eat ice cream with Gyu hyung!”

Sunggyu wanted to throw up, at the sight of Woohyun’s shameless aegyo, but he held it in.

“Aigoo! My cute dongsaeng~” Sunggyu leaned in and pinched Woohyun’s cheeks.

“Gyu Hyung~”

“Woohyunnie~”

“Uh…what’re you guys doing?” Sunggyu’s manager, Sang Hyun asked. The managers and the staff were gawking at them.

Sunggyu and Woohyun got up, fake grins planted on their faces.

“Oh nothing just building a brotherly bond~” Woohyun sang and put an arm around Sunggyu, who nodded in agreement. The staff seemed to buy it, and thought they were adorable. However their managers were a bit more skeptical, but for the most part let it go.

“Anyways…tomorrow, you two will start your first filming as a pair.” Woohyun’s manager, Man Suk said.

“So that means we’ll get to meet the kid?” Woohyun asked.

“Not exactly…”

“Huh?” Woohyun eyed him. “What do you mean?”

“Well for the first episode, the writers want each pairing to spend a day together…alone.”

-----------------------------------------------

And their relationship just got worse...

Thank you so much for subscribing and/or commenting ^____^