Getting closer (part 2)

Babysitting with the Stars

“I wonder why we’re filming at an apartment today.” Woohyun said as his manager Man Suk drove them to the filming location, that morning.

Man Suk glanced at Woohyun for a moment, giving him a concerned look before returning his eyes to the road.

“What?” Woohyun asked, noticing his manager’s strange behavior. “What’s wrong?”

“Mm nothing much…I just thought you’d be a little upset.”

“Upset?” Woohyun blinked. “Why?”

“Well you know…because of the whole thing with Kim Sunggyu last night?”

“What?” Woohyun gasped. “What happened to Gyu hyung?!”

Man Suk snorted. “You don’t know? It’s all over the internet.”

++

“I can’t believe that jerk…” Woohyun muttered as he and Man Suk walked up to a sky rise apartment.

“You’re actually mad?” Man Suk asked as they walked into the lobby.

“Why wouldn’t I be?” Woohyun frowned, and folded his arms, as they stepped into the elevator.

“I don’t know….I just thought you’d be able to forgive anything Kim Sunggyu did. But I guess everyone has their limits…”

“I’m not angry with Sunggyu hyung. I’m mad at the stupid reporter who took the picture and those idiots who posted those articles.”

“Yeah, but Woohyun…”

“Kim Sunggyu caught coercing a minor into his house? attempts?” Woohyun spat. “What kind of person makes up malicious rumors like that from one crappy picture? Why do they keep hurting him like this? He never did anything wrong, but they keep attacking him…” Woohyun sighed, leaning against the cold elevator wall.

“I’m surprised they’re still keeping him on the show with the gossip that’s going around.” Man Suk noted, when his phone rang.

“Hello? Yes this is him…” Man Suk answered. “Oh…ok. Let us know when something comes up. Thanks, bye.” Man Suk hung up and gave Woohyun a sheepish shrug. “I guess I spoke too soon.”

“What? They canceled?” Woohyun asked.

“Yeah…” Man Suk sighed. “They said they’ll halt production until this whole rumor thing gets sorted out.” Man Suk noticed Woohyun’s face fall. “Sorry kid…I’ll try to get you another audition. It might take some time, but—.”

“Hyung.” Woohyun looked up, expression serious. “I got to go somewhere.”

“Uh ok?” Man Suk blinked, as they reentered the lobby.

“I’ll see you later.” Woohyun turned to leave.

“Wait,” Man Suk stopped him. “Where’re you going? I can drive you.”

“No it’s ok.” Woohyun nodded, and took off down the street.

Man suk grinned slightly, pretty sure he knew exactly where Woohyun was heading.

++

“C’mon…pick up Sungyeol…” Woohyun mumbled into his phone, regretting not accepting Man Suk’s offer for a ride.

“Hello? Woohyun hyung?”

“Finally!” Woohyun breathed a sigh of relief. “Hey, are you at home now?”

“Well I find offense at that!” Sungyeol scoffed. “I’m a very busy man you know? I got a lot on my plate and—.”

“Sungyeol…”

“…Fine I’m at home. What do you want? Oh! Are you finally ready to assist me in getting Dongwoo hyung together with his possibly biual rapper friend?!”

“No. I told you we’re not doing that!”

“…Is this about Kim Sunggyu’s latest scandal?” Sungyeol groaned. “It is isn’t it?”

“You know me too well my friend.” Woohyun grinned.

“What do you want to know?” Sungyeol sighed.

“Can you look up Gyu hyung’s address?” Woohyun said. “It should be on a small yellow notepad in the drawer of my nightstand.

“You know I’m not even surprised that you know his address, but I am shocked to learn that you haven’t memorized it yet.” Sungyeol snorted.

“Shut up.” Woohyun rolled his eyes.

++

Sunggyu lay in bed the whole morning with a pillow jammed over his ears in a useless attempt to drown out the sounds of hungry paparazzi and crazed fans shouting and making a commotion outside.  The only thing separating them from touching Sunggyu’s house was a wooden fence surrounding his small front yard and a short set of stairs leading up to the front door.

His manager had told him not to answer the door or phone, and to just stay put for the time being, so that’s exactly what Sunggyu had done. He had sat in bed, without moving for the past few hours.

He knew it was own carelessness that got him into this. If only he looked through the peephole last night.

He rolled over in bed, when he heard his cell phone vibrate atop his night stand. He assumed it to be his manager or someone from his company, so he was surprised to see that it was Woohyun calling. He paused for a nervous moment before answering.

“Hello?”

“Hyung it’s me, Woohyun…Nam Woohyun.” Sunggyu couldn’t help but grin upon hearing the seriousness in Woohyun’s voice.

“Nam Woohyun you say? Hm…the name sounds familiar.” He joked.

Woohyun paused for a moment, before chuckling lightly.

“Well I should hope so…I mean we’re even raising a kid together!”

Sunggyu frowned, remembering the show. “…I’m sorry about the filming getting cancelled.”

There was a pause, and Sunggyu could hear Woohyun sigh.

“I’d be lying if I said I’m not unhappy about it, but I’m really more concerned about you.”

“About me?”

“Y-Yeah. Those stupid reporters…how can they say those things about you?”

Sunggyu smiled slightly. “…You think they’re wrong?”

“Of course!” Woohyun exclaimed. “You would never do anything like that!”

“But…” Sunggyu paused. “What if I did?”

“…Huh?” Woohyun asked. “I don’t understand…”

“What if I really did do something horrible like that? Would you still…take my side?” Sunggyu bit his lip, anticipating Woohyun’s reply.

He didn’t really understand why he had asked Woohyun a question like that. Why he felt the need to test the younger man. Or why he needed to make sure Woohyun really cared.

All he knew was that he wanted someone to be on his side.

“Um…” Woohyun cleared his throat. “After getting to know you a little, I don’t really think you’d ever do anything bad to be honest…But if you ever did, I’m sure it would be for a good reason. And I might not understand it at first…but I wouldn’t assume anything until I hear it in person from you.” Woohyun explained.

Sunggyu was caught off guard by Woohyun’s surprisingly reasonable response.

“Woohyun…that’s—.”

“Outta my way !” Sunggyu heard a gruff man’s voice shout. “I was here first!”

“Woohyun?” Sunggyu sat up in bed, concerned. “Are you ok?”

“Uh…yeah.” Sunggyu could barely hear Woohyun’s voice, over the sounds of shouting and commotion.

“Where are you right now?”

“…In front of your house?”

“What?!” Sunggyu rushed to his window and pulled back the curtain, just a tad. He spotted Woohyun standing a few feet behind the conglomerate of paparazzi, across the street. He was looking up at Sunggyu and waving. “I don’t understand…what’re you doing here?” Sunggyu stared at Woohyun’s tiny figure in the distance, not entirely sure if it was really him or not.

“I came to see you. I-I was worried and…and…oh man…” Woohyun sighed. “I probably sound pretty creepy right now. I mean showing up at your house randomly, and waiting outside, and calling you and you’re probably wondering why I even know where you live and—.”

“Wait there.” Sunggyu interrupted. “I’m coming downstairs to let you in.”

“What? Really?!” Woohyun gasped, but Sunggyu had already hung up. Woohyun looked around, wondering if this was really happening right now.

He was actually about to go inside Kim Sunggyu’s house.

++

Sunggyu hid behind the door, opening it only wide enough for Woohyun to squeeze through. Woohyun knew it was to avoid the reporters, who became wilder as Woohyun brushed past them. He stepped inside the warm house and quickly shut the door behind him. He studied Sunggyu for a moment, while shivering and rubbing his frozen hands together for warmth.

The cool, eyeliner wearing, leather adorned rocker, was the Sunggyu that Woohyun was used to seeing. The Sunggyu standing in front of him right now was wearing an oversized black knit sweater and baggy heather gray sweat pants with black socks. His red hair was ruffled and wavy, and he looked like he had been rolling around in bed. Woohyun thought he looked quite cozy and wondered why he suddenly thought about what it would be like to cuddle in bed with Sunggyu. He quickly shook off the thought, just as Sunggyu pulled him in for a warm hug, right there in the entrance way.

“H-Hyung!” Woohyun’s cold cheeks warmed up in an instant.

“You must be freezing…” Sunggyu mumbled, and Woohyun could feel Sunggyu’s breath in his ear.

“Seeing hyung’s face warms my heart right up…” Woohyun unintentionally uttered out loud.

Sunggyu chuckled and released him. “You’re really weird.” But Woohyun didn’t want the hug to end yet, and immediately wrapped his arms around Sunggyu’s waist and buried his cold pink nose in Sunggyu’s shoulder. “W-What are you doing?” Sunggyu blushed, caught off guard.

“C-Cold…” Woohyun’s voice sounded muffled against Sunggyu’s sweater.

“Ah…you’re cold? How long were you standing out there?” Sunggyu’s voice became worried in an instant.

“Not long.” Woohyun murmured, as Sunggyu pulled back slightly to look at Woohyun, who had a concerned expression on his face. “…But what about you? Are you ok?”

“…Huh? Oh…yeah I guess…” Sunggyu nodded slowly. “Uh anyways, come in…”

Woohyun took off his jacket and folded it neatly, placing it on the couch, before following Sunggyu into the kitchen.

“I didn’t know if you ate yet…” Woohyun placed a paper bag on the small table in the kitchen.

“You made me something?” Sunggyu asked.

“M-made you something…?” Woohyun frowned. “I didn’t…sorry I didn’t get a chance to make anything. I just picked up some take out on the way here.”

Sunggyu got some plates and cups from the cupboard and put them on the table, before smiling at Woohyun. “Thanks.”

“B-But I didn’t even—.”

“I’m starving.” Sunggyu sat down and gestured for Woohyun to do the same. “Let’s eat.”

Woohyun pouted slightly and sat down across from Sunggyu, watching him open up the Styrofoam cartons and scoop some food onto his plate. “I’ll make you something next time, I promise!”

Sunggyu smirked. “How do you know there’ll be a next time?”

Woohyun eyed Sunggyu skeptically. “That’s…that’s a joke right?”

Sunggyu rolled his eyes, and pushed the food towards Woohyun. “Here, eat.”

“Uh…no it’s ok.” Woohyun nodded. “I…I’m not hungry.”

Sunggyu raised an eye brow. “Really? Because it seems like every time I see you, your stomach’s growling.”

“I can’t…” Woohyun muttered. “I’ll…I mean I’m on a diet.”

Sunggyu blinked. “A diet? But you don’t even look overweight.”

“Yeah well…apparently I gained a couple of pounds since I ate too much when I went out with my friends the other night.”

“…So?” Sunggyu tilted his head.

“So I won’t be able to get a job if I’m…” Woohyun looked down. “…If I don’t look perfect.”

“…Perfect? But what is that anyways?” Sunggyu asked, causing Woohyun to look up.

“Don’t play dumb…” Woohyun frowned. “You know what I mean…that’s the way this business is…if you don’t look a certain way, they won’t even care if you’re talented or not.” Sunggyu nodded slowly.

“I get what you’re saying…but you shouldn’t starve yourself.”

“I’m not…I’ll eat later.” Woohyun folded his arms.

“Fine, then I guess I won’t eat either…” Sunggyu put his chopsticks down, and pushed his plate forward.

“What? Why?”

“Because…” Sunggyu sighed. “It feels wrong to stuff my face, while you sit there and starve.”

“Don’t worry about me and eat hyung.” Woohyun replied. “I’m fine…really.”

“Well I’m not…” Sunggyu pouted.

“Why? I said its ok!”

“And I said I’m not ok with it!”

They were both starting to get a little annoyed at this point.

“Just leave it alone!” Woohyun complained and stood up. “I don’t want to eat and I don’t understand why you’re making me!”

Sunggyu stood up as well, slamming his palms on the table. He kept his head down, and let out a frustrated sigh. “I…” His voice was low and trembling. “I’m tired of always having to eat alone…”

Woohyun froze. “Y-You…”

Sunggyu sighed and ran a hand through his hair. “J-Just forget it…its nothing—.”

Woohyun immediately felt guilty for getting angry. “I…I’m sorry.” The words came out breathily, and shaky.

“It’s not your fault…I just—.” Sunggyu kept his gaze on the floor. Woohyun walked around the table and hesitantly put a hand on Sunggyu’s drooping shoulder.

“No…I came here to try and make you feel better…but I just made everything worse.”

“I shouldn’t have made you eat.” Sunggyu looked up. “I guess I was just happy to finally have someone to talk to and have a meal with….and I got selfish…”

“W-What?” Woohyun gasped. “But you probably have a lot of people who would want to have a meal with you!”

“Not really…” Sunggyu shrugged.

Woohyun was floored, just completely shocked by this.

“B-But you’re Kim Sunggyu!”

“I’m not exactly the guy with the best reputation…”

“Yeah, but still—.”

“Don’t you remember what happened at the first studio filming? How everyone refused to be partnered up with me? It’s because they didn’t want their images to be tainted. Because apparently just breathing the same air as me, will put you on the front page of all the gossip magazines….”

Woohyun remembered what Sunggyu was talking about. He was mad at Sunggyu that time, so he didn’t think too deeply about it, but now he was realizing it. He was realizing how much all the bad press had really affected Sunggyu.

It made him hate those stupid reporters even more. And it made him mad at himself for not bothering to think of all this sooner. But that was all about to change he decided and sat back down, reaching for the chicken.

Sunggyu watched him for a second. “W-What are you doing?”

“C’mon let’s eat.” Woohyun smiled up at him.

“But you…”

“The food’s getting cold!”

Sunggyu sat down, still staring at Woohyun.

“What? What’s wrong?” Woohyun asked, with a mouthful of food.

“Uh…no it’s nothing.” Sunggyu smiled to himself.

“Here Gyu hyung, say ahh~” Woohyun beamed, holding a piece of chicken in front of Sunggyu.

Sunggyu snorted and shoved Woohyun’s hand away. “Ya, I’m not a kid…don’t treat me like Hyun Su.”

“I wonder how Hyun Su’s doing…we haven’t seen him in a couple of days…” Woohyun wondered out loud.

“Yeah…I hope he’s ok.” Sunggyu said. “The two of you were just starting to get along.”

 “I still can’t believe he was jealous of me.” Woohyun grinned. “You and I aren’t even that close yet…”

“Yet?” Sunggyu raised an eyebrow.

Woohyun laughed awkwardly. “Ah…I-I just mean that if you wanted…that maybe we could uh…you know….be…” He glanced down at his lap. “Friends! Just say it! It’s just one stupid word!” He told himself, but the words wouldn’t come out.

“…Ok.”

“Huh?” Woohyun looked up.

“That sounds good.” Sunggyu smiled slightly.

“R-Really?” Woohyun was relieved to hear that Sunggyu already understood what he meant. “So that means we can hang out together and stuff?!”

“Sure.”

“And go to the movies and restaurants?!”

“I guess…but it might get a little hectic with the reporters and paparazzi following me…”

“I don’t care about that.”

“Really?” Sunggyu blinked.

“Sure! In fact that’s better for me! More publicity!”

“Is that all you care about?” Sunggyu sighed.

“No! I live with famous people! I’m used to that stuff, so it’s not like I’m hanging out with you to boost my popularity.” Woohyun explained. “But I’m just saying that it can’t hurt either…Though I find that I’m conveniently left out of pictures and articles, whenever I got out with Dongwoo and Sungyeol.”

“Yeah but if they see you hanging out with me, you might get a bad reputation as well.”

“Hey you know what they say. No publicity is bad publicity.” Woohyun grinned, and patted Sunggyu on the shoulder. “Don’t worry about it ok?”

Sunggyu was still unsure, but the way Woohyun smiled at him and squeezed his shoulder reassuringly made him want to believe the words the younger man was saying.