40

Her Demon {DISCONTINUED}

Kai paced up and down the room. If only he had Chen with him. His friend would know what to do. He was the brains in their partnership. He would constantly glance over to Aria who sat at Sora’s bedside, trying her best to keep Sora’s temperature down. Aria had a large book in her lap, unopened, while she tried to make Sora feel as comfortable as possible. Even though she had known Sora for a small period of time, already she had a pull towards her half-sister.

“What’s that?” Kai finally asked, unable to bear the silence or the fact there was nothing he could do possibly help. There had to be something he could do. Aria lighted a bundle of dried leaves that were straight and prickly. She placed the in a jar where lilac fumes gathered and sought after Sora. Kai watched attentively as the delicate tendrils of the smoke seeped into Sora’s airways.

“It’s a rare herb designed to calm the baby,” Aria explained, “Whatever happened has elevated Sora’s heart rate. It’s crucial to withhold stress.”

“The baby…” Kai began. He stopped walking a hole in the ground and stood on the other side of the bed, staring at Sora’s pronounced bump. It had miraculously grown before his eyes in a matter of seconds.

“How did…? Pregnancies are not supposed to be like that!” Kai exclaimed with ghostly essence in his eyes as he reminisced once more of the blue glow.

Aria flipped the ancient book on her lap open, “This will hopefully explain.”

She across each rippling, yellowing page. They were filled with cursive writing that seemed to be hand written with such effort. Kai couldn’t recognise the characters; the words were meaningless to him.

“Hmm,” Aria hummed, finally gathering an interest in one particular page. Her soft features were beginning to change and carry the weight of a frown. Kai’s chest bubbled with worry. He turned his gaze to Sora.

Sora looked troubled and pale. Her hair was matted to her skin and her usual strength was diminished. It struck a chord in him to her in such a state.

Aria looked up from the book. She turned to look at Kai, immediately catching her eyes. They were pooled with horror and pity. Kai’s face fell and he knew that there was something truly wrong.

“What is it?” Kai asked.

Aria her her lips and swallowed, still trying to process what she had learned.

“This book, Kai, was supposedly destroyed a millennium ago. However, its contents were valuable despite how much destruction it would cause. It foretold the prophecy of The Four and the demise of Satan. However a page has been overlooked,” Aria looked down at the book, gesturing the page she held. It had been almost welded to the back but she had been able to peel it back.

“That baby, Kai, is unnatural,” Aria said darkly.

Kai’s eyebrows rose at her tone, “What do you mean?”

“I mean it is abnormal. It is part human, demon and Satan. A concoction of species as such cannot cohabit. Technically, Sora shouldn’t even be able to conceive with you…” Aria was lost in thought for a moment while Kai was a picture of shock and despair. So much had changed since meeting Sora and he wondered how he had got to this position, with a faulty child and a woman who can barely remember him.

“Perhaps…” Aria began, “Perhaps this has something to do with The Four. They were never totally sacrificed. The prophecies have changed.”

Before Kai could respond, the colour blue filled his vision. It was happening again. It crept around Sora’s swollen stomach in such a heavenly manner. Kai held his hand out. Curiosity was nibbling away has his fingers edged closer to the pale mist. It tickled his fingertips and a volt of electricity stabbed its way to his heart. Thumps filled his ears. They were a steady rhythm of heartbeats. His child’s heartbeat.

“I can…hear it,” Kai gasped, completely in awe, “The blue light is coming from the baby.”

Sora suddenly gasped. A gulp of air rushed to her lungs, filling them completely. burnt at the sudden reflex and she spluttered a cough. Kai retracted his had quickly and the blue light disappeared.

“Hey, hey, it’s okay,” Kai soothed as Sora’s breathing became more erratic. There was panic floating in her glassy eyes and frown lines eminent on her forehead. She began shaking her head, mumbling to herself wildly. Her hands were tightly gripping Kai’s to stop them from trembling but the rest of her body was shivering.

“No, no it’s not,” Sora whined. She looked down at her belly, and her image of Empress broke down. She looked up at Kai and he was taken aback by the urgency in her expression. Something was wrong; he could sense it.

“He’s going to…to,” She could barely say another word as she felt her heart break instantly. She could see the visions all so clearly. She didn’t know why she was seeing them but they were there, in her head. Something inside her told her it was real. It was going to be real and very soon.

Kai’s hand cradled Sora’s face tenderly, pushing back her hair and bringing his face closer to hers. The skin of his forehead touched her feverish one, closing his eyes.

“Going to what?” He whispered softly, trying his best to calm Sora down. Sora sniffed, finding that her eyes were watering for the first time since being Empress.

“He’s going to take our baby away,” her voice cracked as she acknowledged the fact out loud. Kai pulled back a bit to look at Sora properly. Her tears finally pushed back against their barrier but were instantly caught by the pad of Kai’s thumb.

He frowned instantly, “Who is?”

Sora felt exhausted and the name came out like an exhale, “Satan.”

Kai’s features didn’t relax. He offered no response because he had none. His arms wrapped themselves around Sora, allowing her to rest head in the crook his neck. She hung on to him tightly, wanting nothing more for him to protect them.

“That’s not going to happen,” Kai whispered back, running one hand down her hair in comfort. He looked over to Aria who looked startled by the news.

“I won’t let it,” he added with determination.

 

After Sora had calmed down, she was wrapped up in her covers with Aria by her side. She had made sure that Sora was eating right and gave her a relaxing tea to help. Sora was in the middle of explaining what had happened from her point of view.

“It was like…I was there but there was nothing I could do. I know it’s real!” Sora said firmly, “I know it. It felt like I was seeing the future.”

“They’re called premonitions. Kai thinks it might be coming from the baby,” Aria said with a small smile, “The little one is trying to protect its mother, it seems.”

“This baby, it’s growing fast. I can sense it,” Sora admitted. Her hand slid over her stomach protectively.

“Which means Satan can’t be that far away,” Aria concluded with a heavy tone, “Do not think about it Sora. The baby needs you to be healthy. Leave the rest to Kai and I.”

“The General!” Sora blurted, “He needs to stop the plans so he can help. He has full control over my army. I want the palace heavily guarded from now on. The baby is a priority now. Everything else can wait.”

Aria nodded and she rose up from the bed, taking the empty plates with her. As soon as she left, Kai had returned. He slid inside bed with Sora and laid with her in silence.  His hand weaved over to Sora’s stomach and connected with her own hand, their fingers interlocking in place. Sora lifted her head slightly as Kai brought his other arm under to act as her pillow.

Sora raised her head up, pulling down Kai’s chin so her lips latched on to his. She wanted to feel his warmth spread through her and comfort her from within. His mouth guided hers, tugging gently. They kissed for a while, melting into each other’s embrace. Their kiss slowed down, limited to tired nibbles and tiny pecks.

“I won’t let anything happen to you or the baby, Sora,” Kai promised in a low voice, staring into her eyes to show that he meant every word. Sora found a way to smile and nodded, “I know.”

But still, there was a sense of dread and knowing that there was nothing Kai could do to prevent what she had seen.


It's been SOO LOONG since I've updated and I'm so sorry to have taken this long. My exam are officially over so you will be seeing more update from now on. I promise you.

This story is my pride and joy and I want it to be perfect.

I hope you can all see the changes in Sora!! All is not lost