Chapter 43

Ditch or Hitch: Like You Have a Choice
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Author's POV

       ♪♪♪

The look on Xiumin’s face was one that was a mix of confusion, worry, and uncertainty.

“For the last time, are you sure you want me to deliver these to her?”

Xiumin look down at the manila envelope that had somehow made it back into his hands. At that moment he wanted to throw the cursed thing into the fireplace.

Within that last half hour he has been in his friend’s office, this was his umpteenth time asking the same question only to be bricked by the same answer.

Kris rolled his eyes and impatiently tapped his finger on his mahogany desk. “Yes, I’m sure. Can you just hurry up and go deliver it? I’d like to have those documents back in her hands within the next hour.”

The man himself was getting a little antsy.

Xiumin let out an exasperated sigh. “I know seeing Yoojung again might have… ignited your old feelings for her, but did you consider this divorce carefully? Are you certain that you want to throw away a good woman for another woman who practically did the same to you?”

After leaving Yoojung at the café yesterday and returning back to his office, he discovered Xiumin there demanding an explanation for the sudden appearance of a woman he has never met but assumed to be acquainted with Kris on an intimate level.

The entire truth spilled from Kris easily causing Xiumin’s heart to go out to you even more after understanding your entire situation.

What a log-headed friend he had.

Kris gave his longtime friend a pointed glare. Through gritted teeth he finally spoke and said, “I’m not going to sit here and discuss this with you, hyung. I would deliver it myself, but unfortunately I am being completely shunned on the topic of Xinlei’s whereabouts.”

A pregnant pause ensued as the two men stared each other down.

Finally, Xiumin let out a disappointed sigh. “I’ll do as you wish. But I won’t do it happily and I’ll tell you right now that this will probably be the biggest mistake of your life.”

“Actually, I am fairly confident about what I am about to do and I would only wish that you would help me fulfill my plan sooner and get a start on the delivery.”

“Fine,” Xiumin said as he got up to leave. He scowled as he opened the door and made sure to bid Kris goodbye with a couple of curses before slamming the door shut.

Kris scoffed at his immaturity and stayed in his seat and waited until his secretary rapped on the door and peaked inside.

“Sir, Xiumin-ssi has entered the elevator.”

Kris smiled. “Perfect, cancel the rest of my schedule for today.”

Minhun nodded as he went back to his desk and picked up the landline to do the bidding.

Immediately, Kris got up, put on his coat and went over to one of two elevators that was temporarily “out of order” and ripped off the sign. The man had instructed his secretary to make sure to make that elevator unavailable today so that he had full access to it whenever. With only one working elevator, Xiumin would most likely reach the lobby the same time Kris would.

Kris clasped and unclasped his hands as he ran through lines in his head. He wanted to be prepared when he spoke to you again.

True to his word, the elevator pinged and opened to the lobby just as Xiumin was leaving the building. Kris made sure to silence those that greeted him so that Xiumin wouldn’t notice.

Kris followed stealthily, making sure that his friend wouldn’t notice himself being trailed.

The two journeyed down a good couple of blocks turning many corners before they finally reached the library entrance.

So this is where she has been hiding… Clever girl, Kris thought.

 

“That doofus,” Xiumin muttered under his breath as he caught Kris’s reflection through the bakery window that they were passing by.

Xiumin contemplated on whether or not he should mislead Kris and lose him but he decided against it. He wanted the two of you to talk it out face to face and hopefully stay together.

Keeping up with the oblivious act, Xiumin made it to the library, making sure that Kris was on his tail at all times.

Finally, Xiumin walked up the stairs and opened the door, but stopped midway and turned around sharply, causing Kris to stumble as he backed away.

His eyes widened and before he could come up with a good excuse, Xiumin threw the envelope to him and held the door open to him. “Go get your girl.”

Kris smiled, “Thanks man.”

Kris stepped in with Xiumin by his side and saw you from a distance walking with a dutiful bounce to your step near the area with clusters of tables.

A few of the seats were occupied by people ranging from the elderly reading newspapers or doing crosswords to mere college and high school students reading or trying to get their work done.

Xiumin silently stepped away and went about to play the part of a mere bystander while Kris gulped as he gathered up the courage to approach you.

You were busy gathering books left on the tables that had been abandoned when you felt a presence behind you, causing you to turn around and gasp in surprise.

Nerves gripped you as you forced yourself to play it cool.

“What are you doing here?” You blanched. You eyed the familiar envelope in his hands and felt your heart drop.

“Lei,” Kris looked at you with soft pleading eyes. “Can we

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter