Chapter 34

Ditch or Hitch: Like You Have a Choice
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Author’s POV

Xiumin stared intensely at Doojoon. He knew something. There was a lead.

Xiumin couldn’t help but feel relieved and worried at the same time. To have someone see something is a great help, but it also meant that something serious had happened.

“What exactly did you see?” He demanded.

Doojoon shook his head solemnly. “I’m not too sure.”

He paused for a bit as he recalled the eventful night.

“At the party… I approached Xinlei-ssi because I saw these two men eyeing her. I would have ignored it, but the way they kept watching her didn’t sit well with me. I don’t know Xinlei-ssi at all, just that she’s Kris’s wife.”

Xiumin waited patiently for him to get to the point. Doojoon sat down on the leather couch and folded his fingers together.

“The two men were really close to approaching her but that’s when I came up and introduced myself to Xinlei-ssi. I stayed around until they disappeared. That’s around the time when you showed up. Later on though, that’s when one of the men caused a scene with Kris’s secretary.”

Doojoon frowned as he ran a hand through his hair. “I should’ve told someone sooner. It was just a hunch, but me coming here to see you react this way pretty much confirms it. Something is strange with that secretary.”

“Why do you think that the secretary is behind it?”

“Why would two men be watching one girl for the first half of the night, but later one of them starts a scene with another girl but with someone who has a relation to the first one? It’s too coincidental to be an accident. Something was planned. Do you see where I’m going with this?”

“I can see where you’re trying to get at, but I seriously hope that you’re wrong.”

Doojoon let out a long breath. “I hope I am too.”

“I actually thought that Secretary Kim looked a little suspicious a moment ago. She seemed to happy for someone who was dealing with an angry superior.”

“I think you should tell Kris to… take precautions. Just tell him it’s a theory. Nothing is proven yet. But it doesn’t hurt to be careful.”

Without a second thought, Doojoon took out his phone and dialed a number. “It’s me. I want you to find everything there is to know about Wu Yi Fan’s secretary. Also, find out what you know about the Hansol that caused a scene at the party two days ago.”

As he was doing that, Xiumin called for his friend. “Kris, listen to what I’m about to say carefully. Stay relaxed and don’t appear to be phased. I think… I think Kim Ahren has got to do something with Lei being missing. I’ll look into more, but for now pretend you don’t know a thing.”

~*~

Kris hung up the phone mechanically and rotated his neck to look at the woman sitting next to him.

His face remained as stoic as it always has been. However, his heart was palpitating between his ribcage in anger and confusion. The sense of paranoia and betrayal was beginning to set in.

He wanted nothing more but to throttle the truth out from the woman but he knew he shouldn’t. That would get him nowhere. It could even possibly hurt the one he wants to protect most. Instead, all he could do was stare at the dangerous woman in front of him.

Ahren looked back and smiled at him.

The situation he was in… He couldn’t even begin to try to understand.

His palms became sweaty as he tried to remain calm. Deep down inside, he was ready to blow.

How could he have been so blind?

You had even told him an abundant amount of times that Ahren was no good.

Why didn’t he just listen? This is just unbelievable. Ridiculous, even.

“Ahren-ssi…” He began slowly.

The latter looked at him expectantly. “Yes, President Wu?”

“Who was that Hansol guy at the party the other night?”

“Oh him? He was just an ex-boyfriend.”

“I see. He must have really liked you.”

“Yes, he still does. He’s almost willing to do anything I ask him to.”

“It didn’t seem like that when he was manhandling you.” He stated.

“That threw me off as well,” she replied. “He’s never been… physically violent before. He’s not one to do things like that.”

“Oh, well that’s interesting…”

They both stared out the window.

The air around them was uncomfortable.

Their conversation was dangerous. A slip of the tongue and it might just reveal too much. It might confirm suspicion.

Lei… I am so sorry.

~*~

Hansol put the phone down and looked over at you.

Your head was hung low and you were gagged and blindfolded.

Each limb was tied to its matching pair with a thick rope.

His friend was currently pigging out to the takeout that had just ordered.

“Jinsung, it’s your lucky day. Ahren called; she said to do whatever you want with that.” He nodded his head over to you. “No limits. Just make her undesirable for the rest of her life.”

Jinsung looked up from his to-go box with eyes glittering with sick delight. He looked like he had just found out he hit the jackpot.

He put down his food with a plop on the table and rubbed his greasy hands on the leg of his pants as he his lips hungrily.

You stiffened in your seat and tightened your jaw. It took all the willpower you had to refrain from shaking in anger and struggling to get out. At this point, pretending to be unconscious and weak was your highest advantage. I

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter