Chapter 32

Ditch or Hitch: Like You Have a Choice
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Author's POV

“I am not getting in the same car as her,” you declared as you withdrew your hand from Kris’s; you were more than irritated at this point.

Kris furrowed his brows before he composed himself, sending you a stern look of disapproval. “Are you still going to be petty like this, Xinlei?”

You gritted your teeth and glared at Ahren who was smiling innocently at you from where she stood.

But you knew she was actually mocking you.

“I am not petty,” you argued. Then you turned to Kris with your left eye slightly twitching. “Why is she here?”

“Director Choi invited her.” Kris sighed.

“That’s not what I meant.” You snapped, not caring if she heard you. “I mean why was she in the car with you.”

Kris glanced at Ahren and ran a palm over his face. “She wanted to come with us since she doesn’t know where the event is. That’s all.”

You scoffed and stared at Kris like he was the biggest idiot alive. “And why do you think they created navigation systems?”

“Let’s not do this right now,” Kris pleaded as he took your wrist. “Just ignore her if you can’t stand her.”

“How about you just take her to the party instead,” you suggested bitterly as you tried to writhe free from his grasp.

But your attempt ended in vain because he wasn’t willing to let you go.

“Will you just stop it already, Ms. Huang?” He whispered under his breath.

The way he addressed you made your heart clench.

It also made you think about how differently he treated you while you were his secretary compared to the way he treated Ahren.

It made you jealous.

Yes jealous and you hated it.

Without you protesting, since you were emerged within your own thoughts, Kris had managed to lead you to the car where Ahren so generously opened the door for you.

“Thank you, Ahren-sshi.” Kris gratified.

Her name brought you back to reality but instead of fighting, you just climbed in and took up Kris’s suggestion.

You just had to survive the night without strangling the little she-devil.

It was going to be hard, like really, really hard but you were sure you could restrain yourself from committing murder.

Maybe.

“Looks like it’s been a rough sailing for you,” Ahren snickered from the backseat as Kris made his way over to the driver’s side.

You clenched your jaw and fisted your dress.

It was going to be a long night.

And you could already tell that you weren’t going to have a good time.

~*~

“Oh my god, why do you think President Wu showed up with his wife and his secretary?” A woman asked her friend who was currently fixing her makeup.

“Who knows,” the latter replied, shrugging her shoulders. “Perhaps the rumors are true after all.”

Her friend quirked an inquiring eyebrow and cocked her head to the side. “Rumors?” She repeated. “What rumors?”

Capping the lipstick, the second woman turned to her. “You mean you haven’t heard?” The other shook her head.

“Apparently everyone thinks President Wu is having an affair with his new secretary. I guess Xinlei-sshi is either just too blind to realize it or she’s in denial.” She explained as she laughed. “I mean, behind every rumor there has to be some truth to it, no?”

“Well, his new secretary is pretty but I think Xinlei-sshi is much better.” The woman defended but before they could continue, the toilet flushed and out came the last person they expected.

“I am one hundred times better than her,” Ahren announced cockily as she pushed the woman standing in front of the mirror to the side.

She washed her hands, wiped them off on a towel before she sent them a wicked smile.

“And after tonight, you’ll find out the truth. Prepare for a show, ladies.” She stated and then left.

Back in the ballroom, you were poking at your food with your chin rested in your palm.

It had been a little over an hour since you arrived and you were bored as heck.

Now you remembered why you never accepted any invitations while you worked under Kris.

It was because all of the events were tedious and monotone. There was nothing fun and enjoyable about them and this one was no different.

You suddenly became thirsty and decided to grab yourself a refreshment at the bar.

After telling the bartender your order, you took a seat and exhaled. “Great party, huh?” Someone asked.

You peered to your right and were greeted with a rather handsome man. He flashed you his pearly whites before he occupied the seat besides you.

You didn’t say a word though as the bartender handed you your drink.

“I’m Doojoon.” He introduced as he stuck his hand out to you.

You took a sip and ignored him.

He took note of this and lowered his arm. “I just wanted to say hi to you since you look like you’re in hell.” He pointed out.

Next, he got up and tucked his hands into his pockets. “But if you don’t want to talk that’s fine. I’ll just get going then.”

He was about to leave before you stopped him with your name. “Xinlei. Wu Xinlei.”

“Xinlei,” Doojoon repeated before the corner of his lips tugged upwards. “That’s a pretty name.”

You playfully scoffed at him as he took his seat. “Please don’t try to hit on me; I’m married.”

Doojoon chuckled. “I know. You were all over the news.”

“So you knew who I was already, didn’t you?” You asked.

“Yeah.” He confirmed. “But I just wanted to make a proper introduction.”

“Why?”

Doojoon held a finger to his mouth. “It’s a secret. Anyways, where’s your husband? Why aren’t you with him?”

You scanned the busy room and when you didn’t spot Kris, you unknowingly pouted while your shoulders slumped.

“Probably discussing business with some of the directors.” You assumed.

“That guy hasn’t changed,” Doojoon commented.

“Excuse me?” You were confused.

He was speaking about Kris as i

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter