Chapter 20

Ditch or Hitch: Like You Have a Choice
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Author's POV

“Wow, you really came together?” Tao gaped as you entered with Kris behind you.

 

“If I knew my way around, I would have showed up alone.” You spat as you trudged over to the vacant bed and plopped down.

 

Tao looked at Kris who just shook his head and placed the nightstand down.

 

Most of the his things were brought up already since you had taken awhile to reach the dorm.

 

Plus there wasn’t much anyways since Kris had bought most of the furniture and had it delivered the evening before.  

 

“Gosh, you two are really impossible.” He muttered under his breath as he watched Kris sit on the couch stationed all the way at the other end of the room.

 

Then an idea unveiled itself to him as he scanned the disorganized and disheveled room. His lips transformed into a playful smirk as he cleared his throat.

 

“Lei, get up.” He walked over to you and nudged your leg but you refused. “You asked for it.”

 

Next, he hoisted you up over his shoulder and placed you on the couch right besides your husband.

 

“What’d you do that for, Tao?” You snarled.

 

You shot up to your feet only to have him push you back down. “What’s wrong with the two of you?”

 

You and Kris glanced at each other and your frown deepened as you looked away. “There’s nothing wrong with me.” You announced, defending yourself.

 

“Well there’s nothing wrong with me either.” Kris declared.

 

You your teeth and cackled. “I’d beg to differ.”

 

“Look, if you’re still upset with me hiring a new secretary, why don’t you just quit your night time job.” He stated, irked.

 

“Why should I? You were the one who didn’t stay true to your word!” You recklessly blurted.

 

“What are you talking about?” Tao chimed in with arched brows.

 

You mentally slapped yourself while Kris scowled at you. “Nice job,” he sputtered quietly.

 

“Oh cry me a river. It was a mistake.” You whispered back.

 

“You married people and your lovers’ quarrel are rather troublesome. Do you guys realize that?” Tao huffed, massaging his temples.

 

“He started it. If it wasn’t for him, we wouldn’t be in this mess.” You argued.

 

Kris stiffened as he glared at you. “What? It’s true. What gave you the right to replace me? So I work a second job, what’s the big deal?”

 

“The big deal is that I don’t want you overworking and exhausting yourself, okay?!” He shouted. “I know you’re tough but you’re human too, Xinlei. You have to think of your health and nourishment.”

 

It was though time had frozen as you blinked. Slowly you looked at Kris who was combing his hair with his fingers.

 

You wanted to yell back at him.

 

Tell him you were going to be just fine like you’ve been through the years but your throat went dry as nothing but air escaped your lips.

 

“I see your communication skills are lacking.” Tao pointed out. “And you know what they say?”

 

You and Kris peered up to him as he continued. “The couple that works together, stays together.”

 

“I don’t know if you already forgot but Yifan and I no longer work together and at this rate, I don’t think we ever will.” Kris felt a pang in his chest as he softly gazed at you.

 

“Well now you are. I want you two to arrange everything in here. From my clothes to the couch.” He proclaimed with a wide grin.

 

“What?!” You both exclaimed, wide-eyed.

 

Tao shrugged his shoulders as he tucked his hands into his pockets. “I would stay and do it with you too but I think I’ll pass out due to the fact that you guys argue way too much. Gosh, it’s been barely a month since you guys became official but all I ever see the two of you doing is bickering. If you keep this up, people might start to think you two aren’t even a married couple let alone be in love.”

 

It grew very awkward as Kris puckered his lips inwards while you rubbed your forearm sheepishly.

 

“I’m no-not doing it. Why should I? It’s burdensome work. I can just hire an interior designer for you.” Kris offered.  

 

Now it was Tao’s turn to be stubborn as he shook his head in rebellion.

 

“No. If you guys don’t personally organize my room for me, I’m not attending this school. Oh come on, think of this as another going away gift.” He bargained.

 

“Fine! Fine! We’ll do it but you have to pass all of your classes with A’s!” You immediately surrendered.

 

This school was the start to Tao’s prosperous life and you couldn’t let him toss it away.

 

Then you looked at Kris and pulled him to his feet. “We’ll do it, Tao.” You assured.

 

“Good. Call me whenever you’re done then,” he smiled before he left.

 

As he closed the door behind him, he peered back and chuckled

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter