Chapter 2

Ditch or Hitch: Like You Have a Choice
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Author’s POV

You were in a deep slumber somewhere off in la-la land when you felt a jolt at your arm.

Your brows knitted together creating an annoyed expression on your face.

You let out a low groan from the back of your throat as you forced your heavy eyelids to hoist themselves upwards. When your eyes were opened, you turn to find Kris looking straight forward.

“I would’ve called someone to get you but I don’t know what apartment you reside in. Or if you live with anybody.” He pointed out in a flat tone.

Obviously, why would you know anything concerning a disposable employee like me? “It’s fine, thanks for the lift President Wu,” and the empty stomach. “I’ll see you tomorrow at six a.m. on the dot.” You answered as you open the door which symbolized your freedom.  

“Actually, I was wondering if you could come in an hour early; since we have that big conference I want to make sure we have everything we need.”

You sat frozen with your back towards him and your feet touching the cement sidewalk. Sooooo close.

At this point you were seriously growing irritated with his requests. And just when you thought you were going to be liberated, he somehow came up with another reason to hold you back.

Was it not enough for him to keep you three hours after you were supposed to get off of work? Your grip on the door handle tightened as you rolled your eyes.

“Not a problem, President Wu.” You managed to spit without any hint of annoyance. You got out of the polished vehicle and slammed the door shut as you watch your boss disappear down the road.

When he was far enough you stuck your tongue out at him followed by your middle finger. I am not getting paid enough for this.

As you spun around half-asleep and on the edge of starvation prepared to head into your home, you stop abruptly. Your eyes immediately widen as you slapped your forehead.

He had dropped you off on the wrong street. Your house was located two blocks away from here. “I should’ve checked before getting out; he can’t even follow simple directions. Aish at this rate I’m going to lose my job”.

Trudging towards home, you noticed an empty soda can lying on the ground and imagined it to be Kris’ face. You pulled your foot back and with all your pent up anger, you kicked the can and sent it soaring through the air.

Soon after you could hear an alarm to a car going off. Yep, you broke one of the windows. This was the fifth one. It can be easily said your boss was getting to you now.

Suddenly you spotted a light from the house the automobile was parked in front of turn on then the door flying open.

Aw . Without bothering to apologize or conceal your presence, you bolted towards your house. Behind you, you were able to hear a not so happy man questioning what had happened to his precious ‘baby.’

Being positive that no one was chasing you, you took a break. With your hands rested on your knees you tried to regain your breath. After a few minutes you straightened up and power-walked home.

“Hopefully Minhwa isn’t mad at me.” You prayed as you entered your tiny apartment.

As you removed your glasses and pulled the elastic holding your hair up out, you found another letter from your brother’s school waiting for you on the dining table. Suspended…again.

“Huang Zitao!” You shouted as you marched to his room. Not wasting a second of your precious time like Kris did ever so often; you kicked the door open to reveal your baby brother lounging on his bed watching TV.

“Hey Noona.” He replied nonchalantly. This was something you did not need at the moment. You angrily stomped towards him and waved the letter in front of his face.

“What is this?!” You asked even though you already knew what it was.

“A suspension notice of course.” He said casually like it wasn’t a big deal. And in the Huang household Tao’s suspension really wasn’t a big deal anymore since he received at least six notices a month.

Although it was becoming a daily routine in your life each time he came home with a letter, you always reacted the same way. “I know it is but why? What’s the reason this time? Did some kid look at you the ‘wrong’ way again?” you interrogated throwing the note on his bed.

“No he said my name.” Tao corrected with his eyes squinted in a menacing manner. If it were anyone else they would be horribly terrified by it but not you. After all you were the one who taught him to do that.

“Tao what am I going to do with you? All of these suspensions aren’t going to look good on your college applications.” You stated out of pure concern.

It was your brother’s senior year of high school which meant next year he would be starting college. But because of his delinquent ways you were sure no sane administration’s office would accept him.

“Who needs college anyways?” he reasoned, flipping the channels.

And this was how your conversations always started. You sighed and took the remote from him. As you plopped down besides him you turned the TV off.

“You do, Tao, if you want a

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter