Chapter 1

Ditch or Hitch: Like You Have a Choice
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Author's POV

*Two months before*

You frowned at the reflection in front of you.

Gah. Trying on wedding dresses was sooooo not in the job description. You mentally groaned.

“What do you think about this one, agassi?”

You studied the dress that you were wearing. It was an original Vera Wang. The details were finely cut. It was perfectly fitted. It hugged your curves like a glove.

You turned a little so that you could examine the dress at another angle. As you did so, the Swarovski crystals glittered under the bright chandeliers of the fitting room. You brushed your fingers over the silky texture of the dress as you tugged on the train a little to position it to your liking.

You marveled at the dress with a mix of infatuation and slight distaste.

It was beautiful; it was the kind of dress that every girl had ever dreamed of wearing for her special day down the aisle.

There was just one problem: the dress was heavy.

It was just as heavy as 47 dresses you had tried on before it. The only thing new about this one was the fact that you actually liked it.

It wasn’t the literal weight of the dress that hindered you, but rather the burden of trying on four dozen dresses for another woman’s wedding. That irked you a bit. It was like having an itch—an itch that couldn't be pinpointed to its origin and wasn’t really itchy yet still gave you the urge to scratch. Yup, that kind of annoying itch.

Besides, where was the logic in having your fiancé’s secretary try on your dresses for you while you were somewhere in an office building signing contracts and attending meetings?

It was bad enough President Wu had asked you to become part-time wedding planner that coincided with your secretarial duties, but this?

This was ridiculous. You were now a mannequin too.

What’s next on his list of unreasonable tasks?

You didn’t know, but you had a feeling that they were coming. He just has to come up with more silly demands for you to drown yourself in.

Oh the joys of having a love-struck boss. Was he aware that his fiancée is a bad one? Seriously, who leaves all the wedding planning to the groom?

Preparing for the wedding is the bride’s job—not the groom’s. And it was especially not suited for a man like President Wu.

You sighed as you lifted your train so that it would allow you some leeway to walk.

“I’ll go show President Wu.” You told the worker; she only nodded and helped open the door for you.

Once you stepped out, you walked over to the waiting area where you could see President Wu sitting with his legs crossed on an Italian loveseat with one arm supporting his head on the armrest while he stared intently at his phone which was glued to his free hand.

You awkwardly cleared your throat and waited for him to acknowledge your presence.

His eyes immediately shifted from his phone over to you. He observed this number closely and for the umpteenth time, you had the urge to punch him in the face.

You knew that he was only looking at the dress, but somehow it felt wrong to just allow your boss to stare at you like that, especially when the dress hugged you so tight and every possible curvature of your structure was on display.

I swear, if he vetoes this one I will quit my job.

President Wu scanned you up and down then back up to your face. You held you breath as you waited for the verdict.

“I like this one.”

You sighed in relief. “I think Yoo jung-ssi would look good in this, too. It’s her style” You offered some input.

The president’s face brightened at the mention of his fiancée.

“It would, wouldn’t it? Alright, let’s get this one then.”

He nodded to the worker and showed he had a back-bone.

You smiled wearily as she led you back to the fitting room so that you could change out of the dress.

Two more months, Lei. Two more months and you can go back to taking phone-calls, getting coffee, and picking up dry-cleaning.

You chanted in a mantra to remind yourself of the good old days before your boss was engaged and brought it onto you to be his substitute fiancée when the fabulous Im Yoo Jung was off making business deals and such.

Just last week you had to go with him to help decide on invitations.

You also went with him to pick out flower arrangements.

Decide on the menu.

Help him with cake testing and design.

Check out the wedding venue.

Find a band. Etcetera. Etcetera.

Heck, you even went with him to help choose out the wedding bands!

The next week, although President Wu hadn’t informed you yet, you knew you were to go and choose out dresses for the bridesmaids. Funny thing was, two weeks before, you were doing interviews to hire bridesmaids for the wedding. The bride herself, being the busy business woman she was, didn’t have time to have friends, only business associates and acquaintances.

Somehow all of the responsibilities of a bride-to-be were passed on to you.

You couldn’t s

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter